• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Gurren Lagann on Blu-ray Singles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am not sure how much of a visual improvement they would be over DVD's. I am also wondering if episode 4 was fixed for the BD release.

TTGL has been out on Blu-ray for more than a year now; you could always look up screenshots instead of "not [being] sure]" what they look like.

Anyway, it's a proper digital recompositing or whatever you'd call it, and it looks much better than the old SD version.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Once again the UK is here to aid our fellow America companions in times of Anime BD purchasing for the nefarious price gouging of Aniplex.

C'mon, it's only $146 for the Ultimate Edition on Blu-Ray, import it, you know you want to... Wink
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
Once again the UK is here to aid our fellow America companions in times of Anime BD purchasing for the nefarious price gouging of Aniplex.

C'mon, it's only $146 for the Ultimate Edition on Blu-Ray, import it, you know you want to... Wink

At this point, people should buy from there just out of principle.

Why doesn't ANN put up some kind of feature about this? The number of people complaining about this hilariously outnumbers the ones who don't. Which means that, CRAZY AS IT SOUNDS, there's something not right with Aniplex's strategy.

ANN staffers, being friends of the people, surely you can set up some sort of interview and bring these concerns to their attention and an effort to illicit a professional response? Because so far, all they've ever done is block, ignore and delete pricing questions and concerns. They actively avoid the issue - for f**k's sake, they don't even hold Q&A at conventions just to avoid this issue - which means the issue needs to be addressed. Which means it needs someone respectable to bring it to light that they just can't ignore.

The more you advertise their company and products without bringing attention to their flaws, the closer your site gets to being no longer impartial journalism.
EvilTaxi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:

At this point, people should buy from there just out of principle.

Why doesn't ANN put up some kind of feature about this? The number of people complaining about this hilariously outnumbers the ones who don't. Which means that, CRAZY AS IT SOUNDS, there's something not right with Aniplex's strategy.

ANN staffers, being friends of the people, surely you can set up some sort of interview and bring these concerns to their attention and an effort to illicit a professional response? Because so far, all they've ever done is block, ignore and delete pricing questions and concerns. They actively avoid the issue, which means it needs someone respectable to bring it to light that they just can't ignore.

Because those who don't complain don't care to say anything. They either pay up or move on to the next thing.

There's nothing to be said regarding pricing either. Businesses are in the practice of making money, not making people happy. If Aniplex decides that it wants to make X dollars by selling Y units at Z price instead of A units at B price, then that's their prerogative. If they then hit their projections then they've, for all intents and purposes, succeeded. Welcome to capitalism, where money talks and bullshit walks.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Lagann is still a favorite show among many people, me personally I never liked the show but I have friends that love it to death. My one friend just couldn't afford and didn't want to pay for the expensive 550 dollar import LE set even though it's his number 1 favorite series.

Now like the previous BD release if he puts a measly 1 dollar a day into savings, in less than a year he could own it. So he has no excuse now or he'll have to learn to live without owning a copy.

I mean people should be thankful now they can own it again after the LE went out of print and it's less than half of what it used to cost.

I've said it many times before it's not so expensive that you could never own a Aniplex title in your life time. I'm not a engineer making 60-80K a year and I still make tons of money and have zero debt. When I want to buy a non-life essential I try to earn extra money so my savings doesn't go down and I can buy all the Anime I want. So if I have to work some extra hours here or all the available over time so be it.

You guys don't know what price gouging is, especially if you have ever experienced it in real life. Aniplex didn't suddenly just change their prices they have remained the same since day one, they've never hidden the price it's a set price you want it this is what it costs. You don't like the price don't buy it.

Real price gouging an example if say Rightstuf said here is the counter of remaining stock, this is all we have on hand and it's going out of print when inventory reaches zero. So when we hit a certain number of remaining stock, the price will go up a certain percent in increments until we run out because hey we know if you are really desperate you'll pay it and if not someone will. But they don't do that when supply can't match demand they still charge the same price up until the last one is sold.

Seems to me it's the same constant entitled whiners that can't accept the fact that their pissing and moaning won't change the price Aniplex will charge for their products.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
EvilTaxi wrote:
Welcome to capitalism, where money talks and bullshit walks.

But see, that doesn't even apply to these people. Look at something like...hm, Apple for instance! People complain about their shit just as much if not way more so, and to that end, journalists DO ask questions! They DO probe into their mindset - if at the very least they can't conform, they can at least get a glimpse as to why they think the way that they do. Apple loves that phrase...or rather, money walks and bullshit talks - cause at the very least with them, you get an actual answer! Apple either gives you some vague bullshit excuse like "We are #1 in this and this and that." or just a flat "Well, we got Mac OS and no one else does!"

You don't even get that with Aniplex. Simply put, they treat potential customers with questions like shit. And they don't even have the "Mac OS" excuse - half of their products were available here previously by other distributors, while in Europe others make them available by ludicrously cheaper prices. Aniplex can't even put the "elite" in "elitism" because, honestly, they offer absolutely NOTHING to put them even mildly above other distributors.

So, I gotta wonder! ANN has previously made no short effort of giving shit to fan-subbers about what horrible terrible people they are (read one of Zac's interviews - it's disgusting) regardless of reasoning, circumstance, or even argument - "I don't care what you do what you do, what you're doing is illegal and KILLING THE INDUSTRY." As if insane price gouging like this isn't.

Which really begs the question....why can't ANN at the very least ask? They have absolutely no qualms probing those that are easy prey by legal standards, but a company that's just as guilty of negatively impacting the industry is exempt? Even from just a few questions as to why goes on in their heads when they concoct these pricing strategies?

I'm sorry, there's a word for that: Corporate propaganda. That's when companies pay off publishers (sites, blogs, mags whatever) to make them look really shiny. The rampant Aniplex product advertising, and lack of any actual face time with company representatives is strange and suspicious. Especially when compared to how often ANN staff converses with folks from Funi, Sentai - pretty much everyone else.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Ultimately there is nothing to be said about AoA's pricing strategy. I see 3 sets of people commenting on AoA prices, those who will buy without a second thought, those who will buy it begrudgingly, and those who will not buy it at all. Ultimately AoA has not changed their pricing strategy despite the outcries, that means it's working to their satisfaction.

For me, I only buy reasonably priced shows I know I'll like, it's the reason I only own 1 DVD set by AoA, the OreImo season 1 limited edition set that came out a few years ago. I got it for $60 which to me was expensive for 15 episodes on DVD, but it came with extras and an exclusive poster from NYCC.
thofheinz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I can say about AoA's brutal pricing is that I am very, very sad not to be able to afford some of my favorite series. I'm finally been priced out, and it would really be nice to be able to afford Kill la Kill, Madoka Magica, and Fate/Zero without totaling out the rent, electricity, and phone bill money.

There are always used copies, which I will buy when available, but part of me still wants to contribute (indirectly) to the artists.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese companies want you to pay Japanese prices, which wasn't really feasible when VHS was the format, and the DVD regions made it a non-issue. With the US and Japan in the same region, I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually hire on English-speaking workers at the companies in Tokyo and cut straight up cut out middlemen like FUNi. They'll have a hard learning curve and they'll bungle things for sure like they always have, but eventually that's gotta be the best solution in a connected world where more and more people are learning English and Japanese all the time and communication is instant. Once all the old fogies running the companies die/retire, newer and innovative leads will come in. Then again, physical media could just die out and now you have to pay $4.99 to rent an episode.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
Ultimately there is nothing to be said about AoA's pricing strategy. I see 3 sets of people commenting on AoA prices, those who will buy without a second thought, those who will buy it begrudgingly, and those who will not buy it at all. Ultimately AoA has not changed their pricing strategy despite the outcries, that means it's working to their satisfaction.

There's a fourth set: Those who import from the UK. ;3

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2875133&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's true. We are small, and we aren't well liked by those who buy AoA stuff without a second though - probably because they don't like the idea that we're getting the same crap as them and only paying half as much. Razz But, I'm hoping our numbers will increase! Nothing speaks louder than actions, and acting by giving your money to someone else for the same product speaks pretty loudly I think. :3
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee the reason ANN or anybody doesn't ask those line of questions is because guess what will happen? The Aniplex representative will just up and walk out, will just refuse to answer the question or reply no comment. More than likely have a set of terms in place so if said questions are even dared asked they won't show up or present themselves and if they do show and you violate the terms they will hightail it and leave. Ever wonder why no one asks why Fairy Tail the designs look dead on exact as One Piece? It's a unwritten rule you don't ask that author that question because if you do you are asking for trouble and the interview would be over.

I've been in the same room as some of these guys and even one of the bigwigs from the Japan office and they are oblivious and don't even know about the people upset, they are sheltered from hearing such opinions, or lastly they hear you and still don't give a shit. I know more than likely AOA that staff even if they wanted to do something they can't because the parent company is in control.

It's funny even if say Aniplex came out with a official statement or answered questions at a panel, or some sort of interview and their response was "Sorry we don't give a shit." or whatever colorful reply. What would that accomplish? All the ones complaining about price still won't have changed their minds on setting the price to the amount they feel it should be when it's not their company/business.

Last edited by Dfens on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if enough people bought the UK release to where it cut into profits of the American release, they'd rethink their strategy. Or they might decide to just charge the Brits more as well to make all things equal globally, establish an Aniplex of UK or some such. I'd go with that option, personally.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
Leland Lee the reason ANN or anybody doesn't ask those line of questions is because guess what will happen? The Aniplex representative will just up and walk out, will just refuse to answer the question or reply no comment. More than likely have a set of terms in place so if said questions are even dared asked they won't show up or present themselves and if they do show and you violate the terms they will hightail it and leave. Ever wonder why no one asks why Fairy Tail the designs look dead on exact as One Piece? It's a unwritten rule you don't ask that author that question because if you do you are asking for trouble and the interview would be over.

I've been in the same room as some of these guys and even one of the bigwigs from the Japan office and they oblivious and don't even know about the people upset, they are sheltered from hearing such opinions, or lastly they hear you and still don't give a shit. I know more than likely AOA that staff even if they wanted to do something they can't because the parent company is in control.

It's funny even if say Aniplex came out with a official statement or answered questions at a panel, or some sort of interview and their response was "Sorry we don't give a shit." or whatever reply colorful reply. What would that accomplish? All the ones complaining about price still won't have changed their minds on setting the price to the amount they feel it should be when it's not their company/business.

Well that does seem to reflect my observation on Japanese business practice. That and it seem to back up my "anime companies look down on international anime fans" logic and mentality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EvilTaxi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
So, I gotta wonder! ANN has previously made no short effort of giving shit to fan-subbers about what horrible terrible people they are (read one of Zac's interviews - it's disgusting) regardless of reasoning, circumstance, or even argument - "I don't care what you do what you do, what you're doing is illegal and KILLING THE INDUSTRY." As if insane price gouging like this isn't.

Which really begs the question....why can't ANN at the very least ask? They have absolutely no qualms probing those that are easy prey by legal standards, but a company that's just as guilty of negatively impacting the industry is exempt? Even from just a few questions as to why goes on in their heads when they concoct these pricing strategies?

Let's see now. One of these groups is violating copyright law and the other is, well, not.

One of these days you'll wake up and join the real world. Until then, enjoy your fantasy dreamland.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Or they might decide to just charge the Brits more as well to make all things equal globally, establish an Aniplex of UK or some such. I'd go with that option, personally.

No. No. NO!

Do not drag us Brits into this. We already get screwed over with some anime, top quality ones as well, not being released here in the UK and only being released in the US, what we don't need right now is absurdly priced anime that turns our already niche audience even more niche.

Please. Don't ruin the special thing we have. You can always just import our releases, which are usually for a fraction of the price in the US, and everybody wins.

Last edited by Second Fire Shadow on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9