• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - TO For One

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khaos1019

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Akawoa wrote:
A feminist rant on shelf life... nothing new here ! Confused

You should really read up on feminism and feminist theory before you start making blind accusations, because there's really nothing of the sort in this post.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I am looking forward to my HSOTD BD shipment coming this week. I think that will be a nice thing to watch this weekend, of course I just have to make sure my nephews are not around when I decided to watch it.

I've been curious about TO as well, but I will probably give it a rent first before I decided if I want to purchase it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Taiyz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I liked the initial wording of the bit about HSotD's fanservice, because that's all I can say. "Yes, there's fanservice. Deal."

The series isn't ruined by it by any means, but people try their darnedest to make it seem like it does. Would the series be better without it? Probably, but I think that people would just find something else to complain about. (Like ADV's tagline for it, ouch!)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
batou37

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say I pretty much agree with everything that Taiyz said. Sure its got outrageous fanservice, but it also is quite violent and gory too. I find it kinda strange how many people feel fanservice is so offensive while at the same time blood spraying from headshots and getting carved up with a katana is a-ok. I guess it just goes back to how we were desensitized to violence in media while growing up with movies such as the Terminator, Rambo, Alien, The Running Man, Die Hard, Cobra, etc... (well at least that's what I grew up with.) Then again I enjoyed HSotD anyway so who am I to judge...
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I appreciate that the email was entitled "Attack of the Posters." That should also be the name of a thriller about forum users. I'd pay $12 to see that.

Me too! Very Happy
To is simply a jaw-droppingly gorgeous set of OVAs. Personally, I preferred Symbiotic Planet mainly because I enjoyed seeing the alien landscape and found it quite fascinating. I'll check out the Laughing Man at some point but have absolutely zero interest High School of the Dead.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
I'd have to say I pretty much agree with everything that Taiyz said. Sure its got outrageous fanservice, but it also is quite violent and gory too. I find it kinda strange how many people feel fanservice is so offensive while at the same time blood spraying from headshots and getting carved up with a katana is a-ok. I guess it just goes back to how we were desensitized to violence in media while growing up with movies such as the Terminator, Rambo, Alien, The Running Man, Die Hard, Cobra, etc... (well at least that's what I grew up with.) Then again I enjoyed HSotD anyway so who am I to judge...

I don't think violence and over the top fanservice are really the same, though.

Violence (unless it's done in a certain way) doesn't demean or objectify certain groups of people, whereas I would argue that constantly fixating on female character's breasts is pretty demeaning to women.

I couldn't actually watch HSoTD because of the fanservice. Even ignoring the skeeviness of it, I just found it too ludicrous to take seriously.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I knew the kid played WoW even before I saw the pics of the books. One look at that computer and I knew right away. (nice bottle of Bell's too)
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I was going to give a pass on TO, simply because its not something I could readily identify, but after reading this column, I'm definately going to check it out.

As for the whole fanservice thing being demeaning to women, while being a guy myself, I don’t buy it, but I can follow the idea. But seriously, how many unattractive, fat or disabled people do you see in anime/manga? How many yuri and yaoi characters in existance are not impossibly beautiful, rail thin, perfect people? Please let me know, it can't be very many. So when a professed boob manic puts boobs in his show, he's being sexist, but when a female author puts impossibly handsome guys in her work, we let it go? Both are simply playing to their bases, giving their fans what they want.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:

As for the whole fanservice thing being demeaning to women, while being a guy myself, I don’t buy it, but I can follow the idea. But seriously, how many unattractive, fat or disabled people do you see in anime/manga? How many yuri and yaoi characters in existance are not impossibly beautiful, rail thin, perfect people? Please let me know, it can't be very many. So when a professed boob manic puts boobs in his show, he's being sexist, but when a female author puts impossibly handsome guys in her work, we let it go? Both are simply playing to their bases, giving their fans what they want.

The only way to end this whole issue is when all girls should look like anime gals. Then there's nothing to debate, and everyone enjoys. Laughing
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Basically, in the far distant future, the captain of a ship helps repair a large mining vessel called the Flying Dutchman, which appears every 15 years or so on its long trek back and forth from Alpha Centauri. This time, it's loaded with an energy source that can sustain Earth for at least a decade.

So a 15-year trek to bring back a 10-year supply of energy.... something seems to be amiss with that math.

Kinda frightened to hear it is so dull, but hopefully the pretty will make it tolerable.
pachy_boy wrote:
You're right in that High School of the Dead is a silly albeit fun series so it hardly matters that much, but regardless I believe the point is this--if a zombie apocalypse happened right here in the real world for me, I wouldn't necessarily assume that I myself was magickally in a movie. But I've seen zombie movies, so I already know that to fight the living dead all I have to do is bash or shoot them in the heads. What all else could there be to do, as far as any reasonable logic goes?

Yup, the best plan for when you find yourself having to defend against maurading attacks in a post-apocalyptic world is pretty much a universal 1-step thought process:

Is it humanoid - Yes/No?
If Yes: have you tried shooting it in the head?
If No: have you tried shooting it in the head anyway?

Ay least it sounds like the dub raises their intelligence by more than a few points. Watching the first ep subbed to make a decision on last week's TRSI sale really pissed me off with all the references to "Them." If you think it warrants the capital-T, just call them a frak'n zombie and be done with it.
GWOtaku wrote:
Ghost in the Shell is awesome. Ghost in the Shell on Blu-Ray is also awesome. Seeing Stand Alone Complex condensed way down? Not so great. The series is great and I can't see myself relying on a compilation to miss out on so much smart, well-told content.

Aye! More resolution and less compilation!
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
I was going to give a pass on TO, simply because its not something I could readily identify, but after reading this column, I'm definately going to check it out.

^This^ I agree! Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
I think Deb Aoki had it right when she said it goes beyond pandering and is just annoying & distracting.

How can there be a "right" or "wrong" in matters of opinion? I'm sure there are people who find the fanservice in HotD annoying and distracting just as there are those, like myself, who found the over-the-topness added to the intentional (and tasteless) humour. The only time an element like that can be considered "wrong" is when it is incongruous to the material. Over-the-top fanservice in HotD makes sense. Over-the-top fanservice in Pride & Prejudice? Not so much.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
If you're not into fanservice, HSotD is nearly unwatchable. I'm used to outrageous fanservice by now, and I can do a really good job of ignoring it, but the boobs in this show were absolutely grotesque. It pained me to look at them because of how hideous they were. I can understand how people are into regular fanservice, but this is just beyond understanding.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

How can there be a "right" or "wrong" in matters of opinion? I'm sure there are people who find the fanservice in HotD annoying and distracting just as there are those, like myself, who found the over-the-topness added to the intentional (and tasteless) humour. The only time an element like that can be considered "wrong" is when it is incongruous to the material. Over-the-top fanservice in HotD makes sense. Over-the-top fanservice in Pride & Prejudice? Not so much.

You have a point there Blood. It's going to basically come down to YMMV to what you think of it.

Jaymie wrote:
If you're not into fanservice, HSotD is nearly unwatchable. I'm used to outrageous fanservice by now, and I can do a really good job of ignoring it, but the boobs in this show were absolutely grotesque. It pained me to look at them because of how hideous they were. I can understand how people are into regular fanservice, but this is just beyond understanding.

I've seen some shots and I saw nothing wrong with them. How exactly are they hideous? This kind of fanservice is right up my alley, but the only time I've been creeped out was Cattleya from Queen's Blade.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I agree, Cattleya's boobs are over the top. The HOTD girls have got nothing compared to her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4