• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - TO For One

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There was one scene where the nurse was hugging one of her breasts so tightly that it looked like she had three breasts, and I almost turned away to throw up.

No such urge for me, but I did blink once or twice in incredulity and disgust.

The fan service was actually a disservice for the show, which is what I've thought all along. There was just waaaaay too much of it to the point of being ludicrous, and I'm definitely of the persuasion who enjoys young, well endowed nubile females under normal circumstances.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I agree, Cattleya's boobs are over the top. The HOTD girls have got nothing compared to her.
Compared to Queen's Blade,Aika 16 and Agent Aika HOTD's fan service is fairly tame.

Anyway, I wholeheartedly argee with Bamboo's review. I checked out HOTD at the Alamo last monday and found it to be absolutely ludicrious,absurd and silly. Trust me, its entertaining trash, but its so intenionally goofy and over the top stupid that its worth checking out. It is worth owning?You bet. As long you don't take it seriously, you can have one hell of a afternoon watching the entire serious with a stupid grin on your face. The only problem HOTD has is that the characters are one demensional and don't really develop, but they do have a bit of chemstry that at least works well.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
So a 15-year trek to bring back a 10-year supply of energy.... something seems to be amiss with that math.

The only way the math doesn't work is if they aren't spending 100% of the world's GDP on more Dutchmen once they find out about it (assuming there was more Unobtanium to mine; I haven't seen TO.)

Even if it was a one-shot, you wouldn't want something valued at $(10 years of all the oil, coal, solar, hydro, etc the world uses) for a mere 15 year investment? You could retire to the Caribbean island of your choice, because you could buy them all. Cool

Penguin_Factory wrote:
Violence (unless it's done in a certain way) doesn't demean or objectify certain groups of people, whereas I would argue that constantly fixating on female character's breasts is pretty demeaning to women.

Eh, that's just the messed-up nature of our society. Gruesome murder is PG-13, full frontal is R. I'd rather be demeaned and objectified than carved up like a turkey, myself.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:06 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:

Eh, that's just the messed-up nature of our society. Gruesome murder is PG-13, full frontal is R. I'd rather be demeaned and objectified than carved up like a turkey, myself.

But you're not being carved up like a turkey. It's fiction. Yet patterns of objectification of women in entertainment (maybe) have some impact beyond the screen. I'm pretty skeptical of the thesis, but it at least has more plausibility than those concerning violence.

PG-13 and R aren't measures of how disturbing shows are, they are age guidelines. I think most kids are capable of properly contextualizing violence long before they can understand sex. I was certainly getting into fights on the playground years before I was sneaking away to the bleachers.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:29 am Reply with quote
I found High School Of The Dead (BD) entertaining and fun to watch. I think I would have liked it more if it was strictly drama and action, but as it is, it was great just to be able to turn off the brain for a while. I wouldn't mind if they produced a second season, because there was a heck of a lot of story left to be told, based on what transpired in this anime.

TO (BD) was also enjoyable to watch (brain switched back on, of course). This title has been on my radar since the first preview was a news item on ANN a couple of years ago. The fact that Sori was involved also sparked my interest, since I'm a fan of both Appleseed and Vexille. I loved the ending of Elliptical Orbit and Symbiotic Planet was a neat romp on a strange new world. It seems no matter where humans go, they always seem to bring their baggage along.

I'm a great fan of Ghost In The Shell in all its many forms. The two Stand Alone Complex seasons are still to date, I feel, the best animated science fiction series ever produced. The Solid State Society movie was a perfect follow-up. I was ecstatic when Bandai Entertainment announced they were releasing SSS in Blu-ray and picked it up as soon as it was available. Additionally, I picked the BD versions of The Laughing Man and Individual Eleven, though admittedly with more reservation. It remains to be seen, or in this case heard, if the English dub produced at Ocean Studios for the DVD release of these two titles was used for their BD release. I preferred the ZRO Limit cast from the series. Interestingly, both The Laughing Man and Individual Eleven BD covers list "...In Association with ZRO Limit...". I didn't dislike the compilation of the two seasons into The Laughing Man and Individual Eleven, but felt the difference in cast members jarring after having heard a specific cast throughout fifty-two episodes. Obviously, I preferred the series over the compilations, not only because of the cast, but also due to the stand alone stories. Having said that, The Laughing Man and Individual Eleven still achieved the goal of isolating out the main story arcs of both seasons.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:06 am Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:

So when a professed boob manic puts boobs in his show, he's being sexist, but when a female author puts impossibly handsome guys in her work, we let it go? Both are simply playing to their bases, giving their fans what they want.

I think this is another case of equating two things that aren't actually the same. Constantly fixating on (impossibly proportioned) women's breasts isn't the same as simply having attractive women in your show.

A legitimate comparison here would be if the impossibly handsome guys all went around with 10-inch boners bulging through their pants, and then in one scene a female character uses one of them as a stand for her rifle (there's a scene in the anime that's pretty much a gender-swapped version of this). I think we could all agree that this is at the very least extremely tasteless, but you could easily argue it's a case of misandrony since it's basically reducing men to their penises.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:48 am Reply with quote
I must say, I'm quite pleased with how fair ANN has been to HotD. I figured a show like this would be panned as pure trash and burned at the stake, but both Zac and Bamboo gave reviews that made it quite obvious that they actually watched it through, and gave it a fair shake. Both reviews placed it pretty much where I would as well. If you like zombies and don't mind fanservice, no matter how over the top, then give it a watch. If you don't like those things, then it's obviously not for you. It's not a modern anime classic by any means, but it can be a fun way to spend an afternoon or two.

Also, I'm wondering as well where that so-called feminist rant was. Heck, it was kind of nice to have a review where the reviewer wasn't saying how grossed out or disturbed they were and just rolled with the punches. It's fine if they feel that way, it's just nice to go without hearing about it now and again.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quote
The anime girls in HOTD are not based on any particular women. They're 100% fictional. How they can be "demeaning" to real-life women is beyond me. Saying it can be demeaning toward women could only apply if you argued that the audience will as a result gain a mental image of real women looking and behaving this way in their minds, and that's about as weak an argument as one can make. If you want to argue live-action fanservice is demeaning, that makes a ton of sense. Animated fanservice, though? Not so much.

It's within the rights of a person to draw such depictions, and hey, if someone wanted to draw the description Penguin_Factory gave regarding penises, that's fine too.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
If you have even the vaguest grasp of basic physics, don't watch To. The spoiler[time dilation based twist in the last line] Only comes as a surprise because you assume a show with such a tenuous grasp on Newtonian physics* wouldn't even bother considering relativistic effects. Then there's the second half: they get your hopes up that they might actually be aiming a little higher by introducing a 'Dr Snaut' (as a nod to Solaris). But no! It's just a big joke in the end spoiler[not only is the Space Fungus totally benign (even though highly infectious) all it does is turn your face white and get you stoned! No planetary consciousness or anything.]

If you get a chance to see it for free, you might get a laugh or two out of it in a MST3K sort of way, but for goodness sake don't waste any money on it. It's just as vapid as Highschool of the Dead, but nowhere near as entertaining.

*Container velocity far, far too low for TLI, or even a useful Hohmann transfer. Ships thrusting like aircraft (continuous burn for constant speed, drift to a stop when thrust halts), not spacecraft. Explosion effects in a vacuum greatly exaggerated: even if the Magical Super Fuel detonated in the teraton range, and emitted most of it's energy as radiation, it would still do pretty much nothing to anyone in a structure on or under the moon's surface (though maybe to anyone in an unshielded spacesuit who hadn't listened to the several-hours-prior warning that would have been given). Using the container as a kinetic impactor would have been far more effective if the 'space gun' didn't fire things at walking pace. And this is just nitpicks I can recall from the first ten minutes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
audience will as a result gain a mental image of real women looking and behaving this way

Good idea! That's something girls can strive for. Everybody wins. Laughing
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
If you have even the vaguest grasp of basic physics, don't watch To. The spoiler[time dilation based twist in the last line] Only comes as a surprise because you assume a show with such a tenuous grasp on Newtonian physics* wouldn't even bother considering relativistic effects. Then there's the second half: they get your hopes up that they might actually be aiming a little higher by introducing a 'Dr Snaut' (as a nod to Solaris). But no! It's just a big joke in the end spoiler[not only is the Space Fungus totally benign (even though highly infectious) all it does is turn your face white and get you stoned! No planetary consciousness or anything.]

I completely disagree with your assessment of the ending of Symbiotic Planet.

spoiler[Yes, the fungus gets you "stoned," but it's because of that that the two colonies are actually able to have peaceful negotiations. They were on the brink of war with each other-- if they weren't stoned, they wouldn't have agreed to re-negotiate. And who's to say it isn't the planet that orchestrated this?

Recall that at the end, the Eurasians were about to obliterate the American colony with missiles, but the big balloon things (who are also infected with the fungus) sacrificed themselves to detonate the missiles. Were they protecting the humans? Or did they simply not want the planet to be damaged?

I think the fungus *is* part of the planetary conscience. When Alena was infected, you see this shot of the fungus forming a silhouette of her face, before drifting off into the wind. Maybe that's how they knew to protect them from the missiles.]
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
For me, the chief issue of To was spoiler[it was incredibly boring and i fell asleep]
FaytLein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

I think this is another case of equating two things that aren't actually the same. Constantly fixating on (impossibly proportioned) women's breasts isn't the same as simply having attractive women in your show.

A legitimate comparison here would be if the impossibly handsome guys all went around with 10-inch boners bulging through their pants, and then in one scene a female character uses one of them as a stand for her rifle (there's a scene in the anime that's pretty much a gender-swapped version of this). I think we could all agree that this is at the very least extremely tasteless, but you could easily argue it's a case of misandrony since it's basically reducing men to their penises.

Except that what women are looking for in fanservice isn't the same as what guys look for in fanservice. If women were attracted to massive wangs (not to say that doesn't factor into it) they would be ALL OVER THE PLACE. So its not an unfair comparison, its just two sides having a differing view on what works for them. Guys are much more geared to visual acts of service, whereas females are less so.

My stance is that everyone is objectified to some level, based on personal preferences that vary from person to person. Excessive boobage might be demeaning to women, but impossibly bishonen guys are demeaning to guys as well, just for a slightly different reason. So both sides are guilty of treating the other like objects, so its a moot point to complain about it on that level. If fanserivce doesn't appeal to you, thats fine, but don't drag a battle of the sexes into it. Its all in good fun.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read anything feminist about her review. You people have not met real feminists...

I'm so glad Bamboo was able to write this week, even if it was nothing I was thrilled about her reviewing she still was able to review. I want her back!

That is sad to hear about Brad, I'm not familiar with his works but it is still sad to hear about Sad
Kohii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Nice shelves. Any guy who has "Airplane" in his DVD collection is a badass.

Quote:
that it looked like she had three breasts, and I almost turned away to throw up.

Clearly, this was written by someone who didn't appreciate "Total Recall".[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4