• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mitsuru Adachi Can't Tell His Own Characters Apart

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leongsh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
I managed to guess correctly which of the 3 was Tatsuya. As mentioned by some, it's the hair - the messiest is Tatsuya - you can see it by the fringe. Then between the remaining 2, it's the slightly sharper face that is Yusaku.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:44 am Reply with quote
I've never really had a problem with Adachi re-using character designs. I kind of like it--it gives each new series a level of comforting familiarity. Even before I hear a character speak, I have an idea of what kind of personality they have--a huge aspect of Adachi's genius comes from taking his archetypal characters and slowly "rotating" the story around them, to reveal more and more sides of them as the stories progress that they become more and more human. Moreso than any other mangaka (moreso than all but a handful of fiction writers) I've read, Adachi is able to breathe a spark of genuine life--real humanity, real dimension--into his characters.

In a way, by re-using character designs he's able to ignore character introductions and jump right into character development.

Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Hahaha. The startling epiphany for Adachi which everyone already came to terms with far earlier lol. I still need to get around to H2 and Cross Game myself, I hope they deliver.

There's no such thing as an Adachi manga that does NOT deliver.

H2 may err a bit to hard toward melodrama, but it's a lot of fun and very-well crafted and well-paced (even moreso than the iconic Touch, I think). It may not pull the "big" stuff that made Adachi famous, but it tells a more subtle tale. Easily one of his more underrated series.

Cross Game is just as fantastic, but suffers from the fact that it should be the best manga Adachi ever penned, but isn't. It's too short to fully develop the side characters, and has the wrong protagonist. By rights, the heroine should be a co-protagonist at the very least, as hers is the most compelling character arc and her story is the emotional core of the series.

If you haven't already, I'd also strongly, strongly, strongly recommend reading Katsu! (fantastic, relatively short boxing manga) and Niji Iro Togarashi. The latter is not a sports manga, and is one of Adachi's older works (so the art's not so great) but it is a FANTASTIC read. When I think of, "the perfect resolution to a story," I think "Niji Iro Togarashi." Adachi's method of resolving everything... is absolutely, breathtakingly brilliant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3