• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family: Utah Man Was Cosplaying Samurai Champloo When Shot, Killed by Police

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Ladymage Samiko wrote:
Just to play devil's advocate…

Perhaps he was cosplaying. And we anime fans can understand that. But I defy anyone not to feel a little uneasy when a completely random person (black, white, or rainbow-coloured) is carrying a sword around. Permitted or not, it's not a common thing in this day and age. I can sympathize with the police/whoever called them in wanting to know what was up.

As for shooting him in the back, I can see a plausible scenario: The police confront him, and he draws and lunges as they said. They stumble back, and he takes off. They need time to recover, draw their weapons, and shout whatever version of 'Stop, or I'll shoot' is used nowadays. He keeps running—someone who is carrying and has attempted to use a deadly weapon—so they shoot.

I wasn't there; I don't know what happened. But I do believe that most cops are poor, ordinary bastards who are trying to do a job they get little thanks for, particularly nowadays.

Have you been reading this thread? Cause a LOT of people have been accusing/suspecting Hunt of doing something suspicious. Also, why play the devil's advocate? Just give your own impression of the situation instead of hiding behind "Well, look at this other side!" Unless that is your own impression. The devil needs no advocate, they've got their own supporters.

Maybe he lunged first, maybe not. Maybe the police are trying to cover up their own bull, maybe not. But either way, he was shot six times in. the. back. Any way you look at it, that's excessive. Also, it's illegal to shoot a fleeing person. And to shoot them six times? I'm sure they fired way more than that--it's difficult to shoot a moving target. That's excessive any way you look at it.

I wish I could be as positive about the cops as you. But you can't just excuse these recent killings of unarmed black people, and the ensuing coverups and terrible behavior from the police force, with "they're just normal guys, they make mistakes."
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Why aren't the major news networks like CNN reporting this?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:

They Don't Care
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to mention that this did occur the weekend after Salt Lake Comic Con, which was about a 30-40 minute drive away from the city this happened in.

there's a free to attend anime con that occurs about 30 minutes away from where I live (it USE to be the largest anime con in my state until a little over half a dozen years ago) and it's not unheard of to occasionally see someone pull out a cosplay in public sometime over the week afterword or even the weekend after it, especially if they managed to snag a good cosplay prop at the con. some people just keep that post con buzz longer than others.
traveling

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
So why was he cosplaying just because? I don't think someone needs to be shot to death because he has a sword, but there's a difference between being at a convention or event and cosplaying, and cosplaying on the street, with no context that police understand.

You have a weapon: a real weapon. You're on the street. At the very, very least, cops are going to come talk to you.

It has been stated in the article and many comments that the sword was fake. Even it was real, he is legally allowed to carry it which means there is no cause for questioning. People carry all kinds of guns into crowded places simply because it there legal right to do so, and they are not questioned.

I don't know a lot about cosplaying because I've never done it but I believe that he could have been in cosplay to take pictures. That's just my personal rationale of why he was.

Whether you believe the police or the witness and autopsy reports, you have to agree that this is just another example of the police using extreme force (shooting multiple times) to diffuse a situation that didn't call for it. It's getting really disgusting, and you can't blame people for being weary of the police because it happens too often. I'm all for cameras and monitoring officers so that they think thrice about how they go about their jobs.
The_way67

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
So you can cosplay with a real a lethal sword? Um, F No kiddies. Bringing race into anything means YOU FAIL.

I don't if this kid was drunk or high, or just acting like a dumbass walking around with a bleeping head slicer!

Sorry kiddies, but if someone is walking around times square or your local mall with a sword...you'd lose your bowels and beg for the cops to at least calm him down and take the item from him...before incidents happen.

Don't act like a punk. If you show aggression towards the public or a police officer....especially armed, you're in the wrong.

Let me walk around downtown Boston tomorrow with a nice gun to replicate SAO 2. Woo I wonder how fast my "cosplay" will last.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:

Because the most valuable audience to a marketer is "easilly-manipulated people with lots of money", and confrontational content scares them away. Advertising-driven media has an inherent strong bias to supporting the status-quo.

Cameras don't help, by the way. The problems with police and judicial accountability in the US are messy and technical, but essentially:
+ police [and prosecutors] have legal authority to do all sorts of things that aren't very good ideas,
+ these powers and immunities weren't granted by law but by an interpretation of the preexisting laws: changing the law will leave the interpretation intact, and you'll get the same result.

The US has the legal system of an apartheid state, because until fifty-odd years ago the US was an apartheid state.
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Unless that cosplayer was running around trying to slice people, I can't for the life of me imagine a situation where a "suspicious" cosplayer plus rational police officers equals six bullets in the back.

Six bullets isn't a stopping force, it's a much intended death sentence. In the back. Bad guys don't get this riddled with bullets in a Tarantino film.

Last edited by OrangeVision on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The_way67 wrote:
So you can cosplay with a real a lethal sword? Um, F No kiddies. Bringing race into anything means YOU FAIL.

The sword wasn't "real" (it was a dull replica) but even if it was real with open carry it is perfectly legal to "cosplay" with a lethal sword so long as you are not on private property (like a convention hall) which forbids it.

Please spew your ignorant bigotry elsewhere.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
The_way67 wrote:
it was a BLUNTED REPLICA, not a live steel sword.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
(sigh)...fixed for you

configspace wrote:
#1 Some Cops lie.
#2 Some Cops are the perpetrator of shootings far more than anyone else

Assuming that all police officers are corrupt thugs is like assuming every public school teacher is incompetent and/or secretly lusting at their underage students. Are there dirty cops? Yes. Are they all dirty? No. The fact that stories like this and the Ferguson issue make the news at all means that cases where there was probably some abuse of authority like this are few and far between. Otherwise, stories like this wouldn't be as sensational as they are.

mgosdin wrote:
The basic problem is that you have people who have this "qualified immunity" which means that they are not always held accountable.

This applies to Police Officers and a host of other officials in various governmental agencies. If you take that away and make it clear that the official's actions can and will lead to personal liability, if they make serious errors, then you will get somewhat more circumspect behavior.

Yes it will make their jobs harder, and in some cases impossible, but the other result is citizens being hurt or killed without good cause.

Clearly written by someone who has never had any experience in law enforcement or military experience. Unless you or a close family member have been involved in these professions, you do not understand the necessity of having this protection. Cops sometimes have to make a split second decision based on many factors, and this decision can and sometimes is hampered by several factors including how tired the officer is, the physical condition of the officer, their visibility, etc. It is the policy of most law enforcement agencies to have an employee who was involved in a violate altercation to clearly write down what transpired usually within 24 hours of that event in order to get as clear of a picture as possible as to what occurred.

Yes, it is unfortunate when officers make poor decisions and when their evaluation of the situation was not accurate. That's what happens in the real world, where officers are forced to work double shifts, working while sick to support their family, and a whole bevy of other causes that hampered their decision making process. If the officer has abused their position of authority, then yes, by all means they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. However, if it was a case of an officer making a poor decision due to fatigue, I'm more inclined to grant that officer immunity, provided they can clearly explain why they did what they did.

This is the reality of living in a government where people are innocent until proven guilty; There will always be someone who was guilty who will get away with a crime, just as there will always be innocents who are hurt or killed due to police action. Just because the system isn't infallible doesn't mean that it should be eliminated. Cops can't do their job without some immunity from prosecution and nor should they be expected to do so.

Last edited by Cutiebunny on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Yes, it is unfortunate when officers make poor decisions and when their evaluation of the situation was not accurate. That's what happens in the real world, where officers are forced to work double shifts, working while sick to support their family, and a whole bevy of other causes that hampered their decision making process. If the officer has abused their position of authority, then yes, by all means they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. However, if it was a case of an officer making a poor decision due to fatigue, I'm more inclined to grant that officer immunity, provided they can clearly explain why they did what they did.

Oh wow. When I screw up in my job I get fired and the worse that I could have done was a monetary loss. Here you think cops should be granted a blank slate just because they're tired? Are you kidding me?

Knowing when to shoot is vital. And this was obviously not a time to shoot. There must be ramifications for stupidity when it erases innocent lives or it will only spread.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
For or against guns, you should never support officers arbitrarily detaining and questioning people because of some bullshit hunch. If you're into that kinda thing build a time machine and go live in the glorious U.S.S.R.

You are already living in the U.S.S.A; no need for the time machine, 1984 is now.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
...I'll keep visiting Japan, where one can look stroll around places like Odawara castle:

See also this series of clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp5bYrlkYlc&index=1&list=PL7pOUcY_0VqWD6K6B2PgP_Vd9mreouM6q
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
You don't have to be going to a convention to pretend to be a character.

It doesn't matter if the weapon was real or fake if the locality has open carry laws permitting weapons in public.

The pictures clearly show Darrien Hunt and police close enough to converse with each other. Something went wrong.

Local police officers sometimes act more like terrorists than actual terrorists do.

If was indeed shot in the back the police lose credibility (all credibility in my opinion). Unless Hunt somehow lunged at police in reverse.

Last edited by Gasero on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13