• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which anime could have been the best live action movie

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LextheStampede

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
How often do you dream that that could have been a real movie? I know I do. You finally get done with the series or the movie and think to yourself, " Man! If that was real!" But knowing that that will never happen you imagine it being a regular live action series or movie. Which Anime would you choose and why. And this can include RPGs too. Which character would you play.

Remember they must contain these componants:

Cool Great characters history
Twisted Evil Great story
Crying or Very sad Realism
Surprised Uniqueness

So choose. I look forward to seeing your response. Because if I could chose, well, it'd be... Trigun.
Because it has a great story with great characters, and it can give you chills because of how real it can get. And I'd have to be Wolfwood. Cool Dats my man!

I chose this because

Last edited by LextheStampede on Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably go with Dragon Ball Z. Planet destroying power in the palm of my hand and constant fighting at insane speeds, whats not to love? If I were actually involved in the world then I'd be able to eliminate all the time spent yelling and simply killing time and swap in more killing and kick ass battles.

If I couldn't be myself simply with DBZ powers then I'd probably go with being Vegeta. He might be stuck as second fiddle most of the time but he has the most real attitude towards combat of all the Z warriors and works his balls off to get stronger all the time. And eventually he ends up as the second strongest guy next to Goku so it's all good.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I would have to go with Witch Hunter Robin on this one.

The various characters may be a bit stereotyped: The tall, dark and brooding one with a family and a secret he doesn't talk about, the responsible one who tries really hard, the flake who's never there when you need her but is more than what's on the surface, the youngster just coming into himself, the geek who got caught, the new girl who has secrets of her own, some of which even SHE doesn't know about, the mysterious boss and his two subordinates.

The story - Witches hunting witches and possibly causing their own destruction.

Realism...well, hunting witches has happened before and I don't recall another anime or movie concerning this.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I would have to go with Witch Hunter Robin on this one.

I wonder what happenned with the live action remake sci-fi said they'd be doing for Witch Hunter Robin. I think it was supposed to be a live action series. Maybe they're still working on it, but I haven't heard anything in a while.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there a LA version of Dragon Ball? I'm sure I saw something like that...

And I'd like to see a LA version movie of any sports anime series (mainly CT or HHWS)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cephelotron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I think Ghost in the Shell could be done well as a live action feature. The world is close enough to reality that it wouldn't have to be completely green screen and CG. If I could be a character, I would probably be Ishikawa, I just wouldn't look right hefting a garganjumus gun.

@chrisb
Perfect Blue would be a kick ass live action feature, that show's such a head trip.
beezis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
This has been asked before but it's always fun to answer. I would say Last Exile would make a great big budget Hollywood film. Have Jim Cavizel or Keanu Reeves as Alex Row, Rachel Mcadams or Kate Winslet as Lady Delphine, Haley Joel Osment as Claus and Amanda Bynes as Tatiana making a complete all star cast. The potential for the special effects just makes me happy imagining it. The story itself would be able to be done during a movie with out a butchering and would prolly only need the races omitted. I could see it ending up something like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow but instead it would be good.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I know it is a bit sacrilegious to say this, but I would love to see Whisper of the Heart in a live format. It is already pretty realistic to begin with. And the sudden fantasy sequence would still fit in well. With the right actors and to film on location it would turn out to be almost as emotional as the cartoon.

I also agree with others that Perfect Blue would be great as well.

And although not very realistic, I think D:Bloodlust would make a great film as well. As long as enough money was given anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
beezis wrote:
This has been asked before but it's always fun to answer. I would say Last Exile would make a great big budget Hollywood film. Have Jim Cavizel or Keanu Reeves as Alex Row, Rachel Mcadams or Kate Winslet as Lady Delphine, Haley Joel Osment as Claus and Amanda Bynes as Tatiana making a complete all star cast. The potential for the special effects just makes me happy imagining it. The story itself would be able to be done during a movie with out a butchering and would prolly only need the races omitted. I could see it ending up something like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow but instead it would be good.

Oooh! Nice choice! Jim Cavizel would be a good choice but (and I hate to say this) Haley Joel Osment would be too old Rolling Eyes . Aren't Claus and Lavie around 13-15? Eh, on the other hand, why would it matter about their ages, Hollywood have changed the ages of characters before regardless of what the original source material said.

And you'd have to have at least ONE race, I vote for the Horizon cave one.

I just remembered that I had started a thread about a FMA Live Action Fantasy Cast. Here's what I and others came up with:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27201
Ragg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Drowning_Wolf wrote:
What about School Rumble? Id'like to see that.

Although i LOVE School Rumble, as a live action movie I don't think it would really work, since the animated scenes+face gestures give it what it's got.

I agree with Lapis, Hellsing, most definetly for just the great action, or maybe Gungrave. One of those. Possibly Basilisk
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
No brainer...Elfen Lied Twisted Evil Seriously though I think that Black Lagoon should be made into live action movie cause of the action and because it has something that is missing from movies these days...a deep story. Wink
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Another vote for Gungrave - Supernatural Mafia flick with love, friendship, trust, betrayal, murder, dead bodies, undead bodies and a fat guy that's also a helicopter...how could you go wrong?!
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Gungrave does seem to be a pretty good choice for a live action, everyone's a sucker for mafia movies. Also, I think Cowboy Bebop is a pretty good choice too.
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Stupidman007 wrote:
Gungrave does seem to be a pretty good choice for a live action, everyone's a sucker for mafia movies. Also, I think Cowboy Bebop is a pretty good choice too.

Do American directors look at anime to see if they can find ideas for movies? I'll also second Gungrave, though I don't think they could find an actor for Cowboy Bebop to be Ed. Wink
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Ragg wrote:
Drowning_Wolf wrote:
What about School Rumble? Id'like to see that.

Although i LOVE School Rumble, as a live action movie I don't think it would really work, since the animated scenes+face gestures give it what it's got.

I agree with Lapis, Hellsing, most definetly for just the great action, or maybe Gungrave. One of those. Possibly Basilisk

Nah, I don't think School Rumble would work either, I was just raving. More seriously I'd pick Le Chevalier D'Eon, I just think the atmosphere would come out well in an live action movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2