• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megumi Hayashibara, Kouichi Yamadera Join Cross Ange Anime's Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
So, Female Ranma and Ryoga were the Bebop love interests? I can't look at Ranma himself/herself the same way. Congrats on the 2.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
The more I hear about this show the better it sounds! Plus I'm loving the fact that it seems to be a female based mecha series which is pretty rare. Plus it's an original series that has been confirmed for two cour, which is becoming increasingly less common. I'm definitely on board for this one!
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
The more I hear about this show the better it sounds! Plus I'm loving the fact that it seems to be a female based mecha series which is pretty rare. Plus it's an original series that has been confirmed for two cour, which is becoming increasingly less common. I'm definitely on board for this one!

As someone who was at the premiere...
It was a feminist's nightmare, if that's the female mecha type of thing you're looking for. spoiler[There were so many fanservice shots (almost half the episode and a half), and there was even an anal rape scene with torture tools.]
I was really disappointed, as I was promised an powerful female lead. spoiler[She literally was shaking her butt with pink panties before the torture scene.] I think Ange will be powerful, but it's still... bleh.
Love the music though!
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:

It was a feminist's nightmare, if that's the female mecha type of thing you're looking for. spoiler[There were so many fanservice shots (almost half the episode and a half), and there was even an anal rape scene with torture tools.]
I was really disappointed, as I was promised an powerful female lead. spoiler[She literally was shaking her butt with pink panties before the torture scene.] I think Ange will be powerful, but it's still... bleh.
Love the music though!

Well that kind of kills some of my excitement for it... The fanservice quotient was one of the things I was worried about. It sounded awesome, but the fanservice might destroy it then...

Plus they really included an spoiler[anal rape scene?] How does that even make sense in the context of the series?

I'm still looking forward to it, but if what you're saying is true, a lot of my passion for the series has been doused.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
This appears to be looking good (and sexy). I cannot wait for this.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:

Love the music though!

I had heard about that. I was kind of casually interested in this show, but now I'm not really sure I want to check it out if that's the case. Really just not something I care to see.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I got excited reading the article, but the comment about the premiere has taken this off my list entirely.

That's pretty gross and horrendous.
Did they even make that scene work in context? Even if it did, still...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

It was a feminist's nightmare, if that's the female mecha type of thing you're looking for.

That is EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be: Code Geass meets Symphogear meets Ar Tonelico. THANK YOU, SUNRISE!

Edit: Should have read the stuff in the spoilers before posting that.
Uhm... I'm not entirely sure what to say about... Sure as hell wasn't hoping for THAT. I guess Valvrave paved the road for stuff like that... but I don't want anything similar to that abomination of a show. PLEASE, don't screw this up, Sunrise. PLEASE!
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[There were so many fanservice shots (almost half the episode and a half), and there was even an anal rape scene with torture tools.]

That's actually not fanservice. It is horror. Do not mix up or combine those things.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Edit: Should have read the stuff in the spoilers before posting that.
Uhm... I'm not entirely sure what to say about... Sure as hell wasn't hoping for THAT. I guess Valvrave paved the road for stuff like that... but I don't want anything similar to that abomination of a show. PLEASE, don't screw this up, Sunrise. PLEASE!

Not really Valvrave but Mai-hime did it years before and that was a Sunrise show too and Kannazuki no Miko too.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
No, I was talking about how Valvrave went COMPLETELY off the rails after the rape scene. Nothing made sense after that and the 2nd season was a clusterf*** with the most disappointing ending I've seen in a long time. A waste of time.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
And I'm hoping it's more like Valvrave because it was my favorite show last year and one of my all time favorite mecha series.

But like others said spoiler[ rape as a backstory isn't inherently bad because lots of good pieces of fiction involve rape and the consequences of it. The main issue is if its treated as fanservice or not. I hope this one doesn't do that.]
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
They've gotten an appropriate seiyuu 'power couple' for the parts of the rules. The Emperor is the first male character that I've noticed for this series. There might have been others, background characters notwithstanding, but I don't remember any

mewpudding101 wrote:
It was a feminist's nightmare...

If a publish used that as a pullquote on the packaging for this, it would probably get some people to buy it.

mewpudding101 wrote:
spoiler[There were so many fanservice shots (almost half the episode and a half), and there was even an anal rape scene with torture tools.]

Ewwwww.

That's disappointing to read. The previews so far had made me think that the stupid get-ups would just be in the show without really be exploited, which would be weird, discordant and annoying, but not unbearable. Maybe the first episode and a half aren't representative, but if so, it's a Hell of a bad first impression.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:

That's actually not fanservice. It is horror. Do not mix up or combine those things.

But they USED it as fanservice. That's why I was shocked.

And by the beginning of the second episode, she had totally forgotten that it had happened! Her memory wasn't erased or anything, she was just uh... Plucky. And in the same room with the person who did it to her.

Also: I LOVE Symphogear and Ar Tonelico. I don't think they are a feminist's nightmare. I own a Gungnir pendant that I often wear into town, and heck, I NAMED MY DOG Aurica (I was thinking maybe Misha, but decided on the former). I love both of those properties. This is EXTREMELY FAR from them. Although the intro made it feel like Ar Tonelico with Ange singing and fighting, it kind of... Well... Spiraled down...

Edit: I also wrote up a full review/preview for the first two episodes of the series, if anyone is interested in seeing a look at the episodes in a bit more depth.
http://irisinabottle.kinja.com/cross-ange-tenshi-to-ryu-no-rondo-exclusive-episode-1-1638457731?rev=1411537491933
Fipse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
Calm your butts, there was no rape.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2