• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Production Company Expands to US Market

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
....Well, shit. Confused

R.I.P. R1 industry. It was fun while it lasted.

Invest in a really good region free dvd/bd player. Buy the series from the UK or Australia.

Way ahead of you. I've had my region free player for a good while now.

I still prefer buying R1 releases, though. But I guess that's just the direction that the anime world is headed in. Sad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
They'll become aware of everyone buying the Brit releases and just stop licensing to them, America is a bigger target.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
This had BETTER not be Aniplex USA 2.0.

I get the feeling it might be something similar to Dentsu USA, where they exist solely for licensing and overseeing licenses.

Well it does say that they intend to release anime themselves over here. Then again, the company that splintered from NISA said that they were going to release video games over here themselves, but all I recall from them was helping Studio Trigger distribute the Little Witch Academia OVA.

If Pony Crayon really does start to release stuff over here, the field of anime distributors is going to get awfully crowded again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
As a note to some who may be confused, Pony Canyon doesn't own the international rights to a lot of shows currently. The stuff that they're listing on their website (like Air, Kanon, Free) all have their international rights owned by other companies (like Kadokawa and Asashi Broadcasting).

Mind you, this is something that likely will be changing in the future, starting with those two titles they've announced.

Pokenatic wrote:
Well it does say that they intend to release anime themselves over here. Then again, the company that splintered from NISA said that they were going to release video games over here themselves, but all I recall from them was helping Studio Trigger distribute the Little Witch Academia OVA..

As an aside, actill actually has been involved in localizing video games for other companies. Recently they were behind the localization for Atelier Escha and Logy for Tecmo-Koei.

Last edited by ChihiroFujisaki on Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
They'll become aware of everyone buying the Brit releases and just stop licensing to them, America is a bigger target.

Hasn't happened with Aniplex yet.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Zeether: I think you mean Bandai Visual USA 2.0. Wink

Anyway, other than Sakura Trick, Cinderella Boy, and Musashi, they don't seem to have much I'd be interested in. [And I guess if I wanna go there, The Abashiri Family.] So good luck with that venture, guys. Especially since no one's gonna buy Reborn. Though I guess the Shugo Chara fans will be happy someone might finally be bringing over the show for home vid release.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Guess we will have to wait until they actually release something over here to see what route they are going to follow.

But if they follow Aniplex's route, or some middle ground, it is not going to look pretty for us.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Hasn't happened with Aniplex yet.

Because people buying Brit releases on a large enough scale hasn't happened yet.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness Funimation grabbed the license of Attack on Titan (the best selling Pony Canyon show last year) wayyyyy before this happens. Otherwise, things don't look too pretty.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Thank goodness Funimation grabbed the license of Attack on Titan (the best selling Pony Canyon show last year) wayyyyy before this happens. Otherwise, things don't look too pretty.

As said above, not every title they do distribution for in Japan are handled by them overseas. Attack on Titan is from Kodansha, and Kodansha's logo appears on FUNi's home video release.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I have very mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, I like Pony Canyon and many of the series they are involved in (the fact that they produced and distributed K-On!, one of my favorite series of all time, already makes them ok in my book). At the same time, I really hope they don't go the Aniplex route and have only expensive releases. If its NIS prices I can afford, but most Aniplex stuff is out of my range. Looks like we'll just have to wait and see.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Why would they do that ? Europe is a big chunk of money. And furthermore Europe is blu-ray region B while US and Japan are region A. What Pony Canyon might do (if they're stupid/crazy enough) is to open up an office in the EU and start distributing their animes at japanese prices. Europeans are not Americans, they would give the finger to Pony Canyon for their high priced releases and download the full blu-ray from the internet in a couple of hours.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I had to stop getting Aniplex titles when AoA came around because it was either I buy ONE AoA show a year AND nothing else, or buy a bunch of other shows for a more sustained form of entertainment. If PC decides to go with AoA's pricing plans, then I'll have to stop buying from them too. It's not not realistic.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Yeah yeah America is the navel of the world. Except it's not. Especially when it comes to anime and manga. Good old Europe is a vastly more important market.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that they A) Dub their releases and B) Release them at fair prices. Failure to meet B can be compensated by cheap UK/Australian releases. Otherwise, they can keep their crappy releases, much like Aniplex.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9