• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Production Company Expands to US Market

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
oh I see, they'll be going the direct import route where they'll sell the Japanese singles to us 'muricans as they come out in Japan.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
If they try to go Aniplex's way and all they have to offer are the titles they advertised in the first paragraph of this article, we won't have to worry about them for long. If they get to release Attack on Titan season 2 when it comes out, we might be in trouble thanks to fans with little to no willpower who think buying just one release at those prices won't be damaging. Hopefully, we don't see a worse case scenario where they start licensing stuff they're not involved with.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
....Well, shit. Confused

R.I.P. R1 industry. It was fun while it lasted.

What is R1 Industry? I googled it but I just fount a bunch of rants about it.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
OH GOD YES!!!!!!!

I said it. I fu-- excuse my french, said it! In the latest Answerman i'm pretty sure I said it. Or some Aniplex thread.

Other Japanese distribs would eventually want to cut out the middleman, and with Aniplex doing it so gracefully it was only a matter of time. But I didn't expect it to happen until at earliest next year.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds, hopefully they've learned some things to avoid from Bandai, and some things to perhaps even copy from Aniplex. I will eagerly be waiting for their first release!

And if they're anywhere near as successful as Aniplex other distribs will be quick to follow. This excitment is too hard to contain, i'm gonna have to go for a late night run now or something Very Happy!!!
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they'll finally do a release for one of these shows?

- Bartender
- REC
- Saki
- Squid Girl, Season 2

EDIT: Though I guess they wouldn't bother releasing their older titles any time soon though.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Maybe they'll finally do a release for one of these shows?

- Bartender
- REC
- Saki
- Squid Girl, Season 2

EDIT: Though I guess they wouldn't bother releasing their older titles any time soon though.

That's what I'm thinking, too. While Aniplex of America did a couple of catalog titles, they were ones that had seen prior release here in North America on home video & had actual market penetration. Taking that into account, I highly doubt PONYCAN USA will be any different. Shame, too, because I would have hoped for stuff like Violinist of Hameln & Koutetsushin Jeeg. Hell, even that Half-Moon OVA that was kind-of-licensed by Crimson Start Media could have had a second chance at release if they were going to do catalog titles.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Someone in the thread said they own the rights to reborn!, does that mean we may finally see a western release of it. I loved that show.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
They'll become aware of everyone buying the Brit releases and just stop licensing to them, America is a bigger target.

Why would they do that ? Europe is a big chunk of money. And furthermore Europe is blu-ray region B while US and Japan are region A. What Pony Canyon might do (if they're stupid/crazy enough) is to open up an office in the EU and start distributing their animes at japanese prices. Europeans are not Americans, they would give the finger to Pony Canyon for their high priced releases and download the full blu-ray from the internet in a couple of hours.

I don't know, Anime is huge in France, if it were the same size as America it would probably be bigger. Amongst all those fans there is bound to be a big enough number to profit from overpriced sets. Plus their is Germany which is fairly big.

Though i couldn't see it working in the Uk since a lot of people think Anime Limiteds Ultimate version of Gurren Lagann is too expensive.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Hasn't happened with Aniplex yet.

Because people buying Brit releases on a large enough scale hasn't happened yet.

This. Few americans i've spoken with have barely thought about getting a region free player, let alone actually acquired one! Americans have always had access to most titles in various formats, while brits haven't, which is why it's more common for brits to have region free players. It's not been something that Americans have had to worry about, because for quite a few years now their releases have been cheaper than ever!

And if what you speak of ever becomes a problem I can assure you that the Japanese rights holders won't let it slide. If the market is lucrative enough they'll start up UK branches, otherwise they'll just enforce longer delays for releases and/or more expensive editions.

Aniplex actually does this, and SAO was a good example. MangaUK was not allowed to release the series in anything less than four parts, and each of those parts were priced at the same price point as a regular 12-13 ep release.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I used to be somewhat of a bargain hunter, but one day I realized that if I truly wanted to embrace the hobby of anime BD/DVD collecting, I had to be ready to spend a lot of money. Since then I have bought what I like and occassionally paid $100+ for a single series when needed.

But I do get why other people want to have a hobby but are terrified with the prices of companies like Aniplex USA. If you cannot afford to buy the anime you like at high prices, anime collecting is probably not a good hobby for you. And I am not rich; I am just fortunate to have enough disposible income to collect anime BD/DVD's.

And if Pony Canyon coopies the AoA business model, and it works for them, it would not be surprising if Bandai returns to R1 and also adopts the expensive business model. The people who should be worried if the Japanese companies cut the middle men are the employees of big distributors like Funimation and Sentai.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I hope it works out well for them. I think Japanese companies taking direct control over their products is a good thing. A willingness to expand into foreign markets shows how important they think the market is. It's to a point where they no longer want to just dip their toe in, working with middle men. I think companies like Funimation will eventually evolve into primarily dubbing and distribution houses the the largest of titles while lesser sub-only, practically zero big name retail presence companies fall by the wayside as they don't provide a service a Japanese company couldn't do on their own.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
This can only be very good or very bad maybe if they dont do like AoA with going into prostitution to get there anime
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I can only hope that they don't go the way of Aniplex. I avoid it like a plague and the only title I got from Aniplex is First Season of Oreimo Limited Edition.

If they're 'cheap' like Funi, Sentai, VIZ, or NISA, I hope they can dip into the old anime titles and release 'em overseas.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I think companies like Funimation will eventually evolve into primarily dubbing and distribution houses the the largest of titles while lesser sub-only, practically zero big name retail presence companies fall by the wayside as they don't provide a service a Japanese company couldn't do on their own.

That would be a horrible future for R1. If there's no big releases down the line, Funimation, Sentai, et al will have to close up and we'll be stuck with these Japanese entries into the market and no way to get affordable anime. I don't want more companies in Japan to dip into this market because Aniplex has shown they want to charge too much for almost too little.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
They must not charge Japanese prices for BD/DVDs, US anime fans don't like paying 60 and 70 dollars for 2 episode bds, if they have to split the season up into multiple BDs, they should charge that amount for at least half the anime for a 2 cour series and $30-40 for a 1 cour series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9