• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Production Company Expands to US Market

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, here's hoping that Pony Canyon's entrance into the U.S. is a positive one...
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The good times are over!
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
oh I see, they'll be going the direct import route where they'll sell the Japanese singles to us 'muricans as they come out in Japan.
Yes, because they know how that will work...

There is a very good reason why AoA for example on imports has done so for only BD boxes, movies, and OVA's, and never singles. It's because they know those wouldn't do so hot for them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I used to be somewhat of a bargain hunter, but one day I realized that if I truly wanted to embrace the hobby of anime BD/DVD collecting, I had to be ready to spend a lot of money. Since then I have bought what I like and occassionally paid $100+ for a single series when needed.

But I do get why other people want to have a hobby but are terrified with the prices of companies like Aniplex USA. If you cannot afford to buy the anime you like at high prices, anime collecting is probably not a good hobby for you. And I am not rich; I am just fortunate to have enough disposible income to collect anime BD/DVD's.

And if Pony Canyon coopies the AoA business model, and it works for them, it would not be surprising if Bandai returns to R1 and also adopts the expensive business model. The people who should be worried if the Japanese companies cut the middle men are the employees of big distributors like Funimation and Sentai.

I can't tell if you're a shill, a troll, or a fool. You're twiddling your fingers whistling "Oh well. I can tolerate the wallet rape so who cares?" as some company from Japan takes a product that is readily available and octupling the price for nearly the exact same content.

You claim you aren't rich yet you are throwing money away. Do the math. Take every series you've bought in the last year. Break it down into 12 episode seasons. Multiply that number by 50. This is on average what you are currently spending assuming every release you bought was a premium edition NISA disk set. This come with all those artbooks and fancy shit I take and throw in my closet. Now take that series tally and multiply it by 370. There is your Japan level pricing.

Let's use me as an example. I probably ordered around 25 different series so far this year. I estimate I have paid about 1,250 dollars on anime. If japan had it's way I would have spent $9,250. Even if we use the "japan level us pricing" that aniplex used with sao (160 dollars for 12 eps or so), that's still $4,000. A 300% increase

Can you understand why people are getting worried and pissed? You're honestly telling me you wouldn't mind paying 8 thousand dollars you didn't have to?

I am not happy. It's going to kill my hobby and I will bitch, moan, argue, and whine about it until the bitter end.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
Let's use me as an example. I probably ordered around 25 different series so far this year. I estimate I have paid about 1,250 dollars on anime. If japan had it's way I would have spent $9,250. Even if we use the "japan level us pricing" that aniplex used with sao (160 dollars for 12 eps or so), that's still $4,000. A 300% increase

Can you understand why people are getting worried and pissed? You're honestly telling me you wouldn't mind paying 8 thousand dollars you didn't have to?

If one day you pay $9,250 in anime for a single year, it means that you buy a lot of anime. This year I will end up buying 40 anime products. Most of what I buy is from Sentai and Funimation. I have bought 6 things from Aniplex USA and imported a few things. That would come to about $2,300.

You don't have to buy every thing that comes out.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Bring over Hitman Reborn and Im good
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
I can't tell if you're a shill, a troll, or a fool.

What a lovely way to start your post.

VanGosroth wrote:
You claim you aren't rich yet you are throwing money away.

It's his money to throw away if he wants to. Buying anime makes him happy and he's currently prepared to pay the prices that he's being charged.

Who the !@#$ are you to tell him what he can and cannot spend his own money on?

VanGosroth wrote:
This come with all those artbooks and fancy shit I take and throw in my closet.

Oooooooh, you're such a badarse.

But seriously, what a waste. NISA makes gorgeous products.

VanGosroth wrote:

Someone didn't take economics at school. Demand goes down as price goes up, and there's no way you would have bought all twenty-five shows again if they were US$370 each. So no, you wouldn't have spent US$9,250. You'd have changed your behaviour and bought less.

VanGosroth wrote:
You're honestly telling me you wouldn't mind paying 8 thousand dollars you didn't have to?

Perhaps he wants to support a hobby he holds dear? To support the creators who make the shows he likes? If he is happy to pay higher prices then what does it matter to you?

His buying habits are his concern and your buying habits are your concern. He is not you, so stop pretending that he is. He has a different level of purchasing power and different tastes, plus a different opinion on how important anime is than you do. He's happy where he's at so just leave him alone.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
While people may be loathing such a business decision, we have to wait to see if it's hit/miss when they start releasing/streaming their titles.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I would never buy any anime that cost over $200, also its not likely that they would dub anything in English ether.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what to say on this one, but I do agreed with most people on this thread if Pony Canyon start to pull a Aniplex of America-style pricing for US anime fans, that's going to turn off many anime fans from buying that collection (except hardcore fans of certain niche titles). I mean I'm not buying a 200 dollar anime BDs that contain 2-3 episodes (so much overpricing, why Japan, why overpriced stuff).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animefanworried

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
I would never buy any anime that cost over $200, also its not likely that they would dub anything in English ether.

That's one of the thing that pisses me off the most. I love my English dubs, but Aniplex-like business models are so inferior and dumb they can't even afford to dub titles that would otherwise be profitable to dub under a better business model; they can only dub the super, giant, hit-of-the-century titles.

Sub-only, volume releases with a few trinkets; how the R1 industry is improving! What's really annoying is how the industry had just recovered from the previous abysmal years following the bubble bursting: Companies were finally getting their act together and things seemed stable, heck we even had people like Discotek returning and NIS put out its first dub. Sure Bandai closed but even they said they were still profitable so it wasn't indicative of a bad market so much as volumes no longer being "in". But now, these money-sucking, harbinger of bad business models decide to make their appearance. Can't the R1 market just get a break and enjoy a good, stable period when it comes for once?
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
Aniplex-like business models are so inferior and dumb

Inferior and dumb - a recent article on ANN by someone who is in the industry says that Aniplex of America is the industry success story right now, their sales are good and they've been adding more employees.

Indeed, what you're saying must be correct! Inferior + dumb = company growth.

Tratious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Maybe they'll finally do a release for one of these shows?

- Bartender
- REC
- Saki
- Squid Girl, Season 2

EDIT: Though I guess they wouldn't bother releasing their older titles any time soon though.
the only thing they have rights to on that list is REC

Bartender is Fuji Creative, Saki and Squid Girl are TV Tokyo.
Tratious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Jajanken wrote:
Bring over Hitman Reborn and Im good
tell that to D-Rights they have R1 rights.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:

I said something similar that I wouldn't spend over $700 on one anime then Idolm@ster came. I had no choice but to pay it since Aniplex are neglectful of the US market like Sega and how they handle Yakuza, you want it bad enough, you import at any cost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9