• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Production Company Expands to US Market

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Like seriously, am I the only one who gets frustrated when Asia is constantly excluded? I'll admit that it is straight up jealousy, but man.

Also, here come the complaints of everything being overpriced...

Honestly speaking, I really wonder if it's just a feeling of entitlement, that one should be able to purchase an item for a price that they want. It's really tantamount to people wanting a Rolex watch for $50 because they feel like that's what it's worth.

I do see merit in changing one's pricing scheme when trying to penetrate a foreign market, but there must be a reason for companies charging the prices they do for BD/DVDs. Perhaps we need to look into the reasons for this cultural/market difference before we start complaining?

VanGosroth wrote:
I am not happy. It's going to kill my hobby and I will bitch, moan, argue, and whine about it until the bitter end.

Speaking of entitlement... Wow. This statement is just... wow.

1. Anime companies don't owe you a hobby. It's their product, they can do whatever they want with it. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
2. No one can "kill" your hobby. If you can't afford it and if you're that desperate to continue, find 'alternative means'.
3. If paying up or embracing 'alternative means' don't sit right with you, you are free to find another hobby entirely. Preferably one that's less stress-inducing and expensive.

Last edited by Actar on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
animefanworried

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
animefanworried wrote:
Aniplex-like business models are so inferior and dumb

Inferior and dumb - a recent article on ANN by someone who is in the industry says that Aniplex of America is the industry success story right now, their sales are good and they've been adding more employees.

Indeed, what you're saying must be correct! Inferior + dumb = company growth.

They're successful in that they're not going bankrupt with an insane business model. Making profit doesn't mean they're making the most profit they could make with a better model. What we've seen of the Japanese indicates they are willing to take a profit cut to stop reverse importation. When a company like Aniplex gets high profile series and doesn't even dub all of them because their release format doesn't guarantee a return that would justify the expense, whereas the business model of other R1 companies would allow them to dub such titles and therefor indicate they could potentially make more with the same title, I'll say their business model (Aniplex) is inferior; not unprofitable, just inferior!

Aniplex has the titles necessary to be on top of the R1 industry, all high profile stuff. If they started licensing more stuff from other studios to release at fair prices with more dubs and used their high profile shows as backbone, they could potentially be as big if not bigger than FUNimation. Yet, they remain a collector's hive with limited growth. When you have a business model that is maintained alive on life-support only by the high profile nature of the shows you have, you'll forgive me if I don't call that a smart business model; especially when the reason for it is to combat a paranoid delusion known as reverse importation.

If this model is so great why are the companies not adapting it? Everyone switched over to collections after the singles died, except Bandai, who is now closed; so why are other companies not switching over to the much more successful overpriced trinket selling model? Sure, learning that there is a collector's market has led to companies now making Limited Editions of some of their titles but regular editions have remained, in spite of that fact that they have had more than enough time to make the switch since Aniplex showed them the path years ago. Could it be the Japanese model is fueled by reverse importation fears and achieves limited success while ignoring greater profit potential which the other R1 companies are willing to embrace?

Japanese companies getting directly involved to this level is always a bad thing.

Last edited by animefanworried on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Razzuel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I welcome our Japanese overlords with open arms if this means less releases with encoding/authoring flaws, since Japanese releases are much more likely to not suck.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Say whatever you will, the AoA pricing model may be good for Japan, but it is not good for the West.

I have already had to cut back on my buying because I can't afford to get all the AoA titles I want, and the ones I do get, cut into the offerings from the other companies.

If Pony Canyon does the same, then things will be even worse.

This has nothing to do with those that don't mind spending all that cash on the titles they want. More power to you. Wish I had that much disposable cash.

Question though, will be, will this hurt Funimation and Sentai. Will they lose sales, because people will be cutting back on buying?

If Pony Canyon does go the AoA route, and the rest of the industry does move in that direction, it will be boom days for the fansub community again.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
If Pony Canyon does go the AoA route, and the rest of the industry does move in that direction, it will be boom days for the fansub community again.

To say nothing of bootlegs. As much as some of the more "elite" fans refuse to admit it, there are people who just want to own the show and don't care all that much for BD quality releases. A lot of them buy the R1 releases to support their hobby and the industry, but if the industry stops supporting them and gives them the finger, I'm confident they wouldn't hesitate to go where prices are cheaper.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:

They're successful in that they're not going bankrupt with an insane business model. Making profit doesn't mean they're making the most profit they could make with a better model. What we've seen of the Japanese indicates they are willing to take a profit cut to stop reverse importation. When a company like Aniplex gets high profile series and doesn't even dub all of them because their release format doesn't guarantee a return that would justify the expense, whereas the business model of other R1 companies would allow them to dub such titles and therefor indicate they could potentially make more with the same title, I'll say their business model (Aniplex) is inferior; not unprofitable, just inferior!

Aniplex has the titles necessary to be on top of the R1 industry, all high profile stuff. If they started licensing more stuff from other studios to release at fair prices with more dubs and used their high profile shows as backbone, they could potentially be as big if not bigger than FUNimation. Yet, they remain a collector's hive with limited growth. When you have a business model that is maintained alive on life-support only by the high profile nature of the shows you have, you'll forgive me if I don't call that a smart business model; especially when the reason for it is to combat a paranoid delusion known as reverse importation.

If this model is so great why are the companies not adapting it? Everyone switched over to collections after the singles died, except Bandai, who is now closed; so why are other companies not switching over to the much more successful overpriced trinket selling model? Sure, learning that there is a collector's market has led to companies now making Limited Editions of some of their titles but regular editions have remained, in spite of that fact that they have had more than enough time to make the switch since Aniplex showed them the path years ago. Could it be the Japanese model is fueled by reverse importation fears and achieves limited success while ignoring greater profit potential which the other R1 companies are willing to embrace?

Japanese companies getting directly involved to this level is always a bad thing.

I share that same view. Just because Aniplex business scheme work doesn't mean it won't 100% of the time. I never believe in this scheme that Aniplex does. It just doesn't work, and I agreed that Japanese companies getting involved in the US is not always good because after seeing Aniplex does it, I'm worried that Pony Canyon could take the Aniplex pricing scheme and applied to it to their merchandise, it doesn't help that most anime companies don't have a sense of globalization.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting. I'll with-hold judgment until I see the prices they are asking.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see what comes of this. While I might not feel much of a impact, if this move is going to make one, seeing as I live in Australia...I do buy some stuff from the US, so it might mean me skipping some series I may want to own (that don't get licensed here) if PC go down the AoA route.

I'm actually unsure about if PC had a hand in any of the series I own...may have a look at that.

EDIT: So, only anime I own that PC has had a part to play in are Air and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!. I wonder if they may bring Book Girl over. I liked that movie (though I did have a bit of the problem with the MC in a certain scene) and I'm planning on getting the novels soon.

Another anime I've spotted that they had a hand in that has no western release is REC...they'd have my money if they were to sub and release that show.

Last edited by Ali07 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
When a company like Aniplex gets high profile series and doesn't even dub all of them because their release format doesn't guarantee a return that would justify the expense,

AoA has dubbed all their high profile series: Durarara!!, Blue Exorcist, Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Sword Art Online and Kill la Kill. Name me one high profile series that they have not dubbed. Don't mention Oreimo and Monogatari because they are too niche.

Quote:
whereas the business model of other R1 companies would allow them to dub such titles and therefor indicate they could potentially make more with the same title,

Moot point because AoA has dubbed all of their high profile titles.

Quote:
When you have a business model that is maintained alive on life-support only by the high profile nature of the shows you have, you'll forgive me if I don't call that a smart business model; especially when the reason for it is to combat a paranoid delusion known as reverse importation.

Who told you that AoA is on life support? The fact that they release more titles every year indicates that their company is doing well.

Actually I do agree with you that reverse importation is a paranoid delusion.

Quote:
If this model is so great why are the companies not adapting it? Everyone switched over to collections after the singles died, except Bandai, who is now closed; so why are other companies not switching over to the much more successful overpriced trinket selling model?

Probably because AoA most likely does not pay for licenses to its parent company. AoA can offer high prices, and if they piss people off and begin to lose money, they can simply walk away. Funimation and Sentai cannot afford to piss the fandom; they do not have a powerful company (AoA has Sony) to bail them out.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
animefanworried wrote:
When a company like Aniplex gets high profile series and doesn't even dub all of them because their release format doesn't guarantee a return that would justify the expense,

AoA has dubbed all their high profile series: Durarara!!, Blue Exorcist, Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero, Sword Art Online and Kill la Kill. Name me one high profile series that they have not dubbed. Don't mention Oreimo and Monogatari because they are too niche.

Garden of Sinners for one. Blast of Tempest was certainly popular, yet, no dub. Valvrave: Popular show, no dub. Fate/Zero and Blue Exorcist were actually dubbed by VIZ for Neon Alley, not Aniplex; Aniplex never bothered to dub Blue Exorcist until someone else paid for it as evidenced by an initial sub-only release. The Gurren Lagann movies are still sub-only.

Can you honestly tell me stuff like Blast of Tempest, Valvrave and Garden of Sinners wouldn't have seen a dubbed release from other companies? Less popular shows get dubbed and are successful all the time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:

Even though they may cater to a more limited market, I don't get why AoA hasn't seem to figure out to get rid with the single release format and price them at Sentai/Funi level prices.

From a business standpoint, I think that it is better to have to as much as often as you can on than to have seldom growth. With AoA, enough misses means they lose money that could severely cripple licensing as
much as you can.

Finally, I find that Pony Canyon has possibly the weirdest name for a Japanese studio/company.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
animefanworried wrote:

Even though they may cater to a more limited market, I don't get why AoA hasn't seem to figure out to get rid with the single release format and price them at Sentai/Funi level prices.

From a business standpoint, I think that it is better to have to as much as often as you can on than to have seldom growth. With AoA, enough misses means they lose money that could severely cripple licensing as
much as you can.

Finally, I find that Pony Canyon has possibly the weirdest name for a Japanese studio/company.

They are making a profit with their current model and that is all that matters to them
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
Can you honestly tell me stuff like Blast of Tempest, Valvrave and Garden of Sinners wouldn't have seen a dubbed release from other companies? Less popular shows get dubbed and are successful all the time.

Yes, other companies (especially Funimation) would have dubbed them, but we were talking about AoA dubbing their high profile series. And Garden of Sinners is too niche, Blast of Tempest was, unfortunately, not that popular and Valvrave is a bit niche and apparently disliked by the majority of fans.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

I think that's cause it was formed from two companies called well, Pony and Canyon. Not very creative, but it gets the job done.
animefanworried

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Yes, other companies (especially Funimation) would have dubbed them...

Which was kinda my point. other companies have a more sound business model that can make more with the current titles than what Aniplex can hope to achieve with their current business model. I don't think its unfair of the fans to want a better company to handle their favorite series so they get released at better prices with a dub. IMO, if a company can't even make the most of a title, let alone treat it with the respect it deserves, perhaps they just shouldn't be in the R1 industry at all. I could understand if these were smaller titles, there's a reason companies like Sentai won't dub stuff like Yuyushiki, but these were not titles that warranted the niche treatment; they just got screwed by a bad company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9