• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2006 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
wtf u left out hapiness how cud u tahts lyk the best sho eva i mean luk itz got jun lyk hez jus lyk a gurl n datz so kewl OMG how cud u leav it out OMG LOL

You forgot about Mizuho from Otoboku! Surprised

Meh, doesn't matter. The staff would have been a little creeped out by those shows (especially when the guy actually looks really damn good as a girl; it's almost like a Japanese otaku dream come true Shocked ). I consider this good comedy AMV footage. Cool
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I've pretty much already picked out the series I was going to follow this season, but I'd still been anticipating this preview.

What, not enough space to put all of the rediculously long title "Yoake mae ruriiro na ~Crescent Love" in the preview? That's okay though. Sadly, I'm a sucker for relaxing, semi-pointless romance series like this one. Honestly, all you really have to tell me is "This show is a cute and/or funny romance based on a dating game," and I'll probably watch it. Plus, I randomly picked it up just because of one of the fansub groups doing it (the good group, not the questionable group that's made a name for itself finishing series licensed in mid-season), so that's enough for me. CL does look predictable through and through (as will any series of this genre once you've seen enough of them), but the atmosphere and situation seem amusing enough.

Death Note--it seems like this one is going to get voted in at club every week by the zealous fangirls, but since I've missed out on the manga, I'm giving it a look.

Kanon 2006--certainly wins the "oversubbed series of the season" award. This is also one of those shows where you know if you're its "targeted" type of fan or not, and if you're not, you might be better off not watching, since it does assume familiarity with the game and/or Kanon 2002. I don't know why anybody who knows anything about Kanon would expect the next Haruhi Suzumiya from Kanon '06--sure, it's the same studio, so the visuals are nice, but Kanon is definitely all about the moé and sentimentality, not the wit and content complexity found in MoHS. Imo, Kanon '06's plot will get better later on, but that's coming from someone who does like series like Air, Shuffle!, Rumbling Hearts, Canvas 2, and all kinds of other dating-game-based series.

The expanded review staff really shows its power here--I love the additional coverage of so many series, and while I limit myself to 3 week-by-week series each season, there are a few on here like Asatte no Houkou and Chevalier that I might place in my "DL when complete" list.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with Carlo's opinion on Code Geass, but it's probably because I've seen more than just the first episode. I don't think episodes 2 and 3 had nearly as much nationalism as the first episode. As for the plot, well, we'll just have to watch a few more episodes for an explanation.

Death Note is a great series, but I agree with Zac. People who have already read the manga won't find any surprises in the anime. The worst part is that Death Note is a mystery series with several plot twists. Some fans of the manga would probably find the anime rather dull.

As for Kanon, I don't see much in the new series that wasn't in the original, other than the better animation.

Last edited by Ryvius213 on Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
purple_monkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Ah, it's been a while since I posted (so long I had to look up possible nicks I used for this forum because I could'nt get it right guessing).

I'm disappointed the preview didn't show Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori, though I guess that's expected since the show started like a day ago. That is easily now the first thing I'm keeping track of.

Other than that, Asatte no Hokou's shaping up to be much more than just a body-swap, and Chevalier shaping up nice too. And Pumpkin Scissors will hook me until someone on wiki explains that name.

Those are the top three on my list right now. There are others I'm keeping track of, but those are the ones I'm definitely watching as they come out.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
As for Kanon, I don't see much in the new series that wasn't in the original, other than the better animation.

Better music, and better Kaori.
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:52 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

Thats all it needed for me to keep watchin. Very Happy [/quote]
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching the Jump 3. Death Note,being already a HUGE fan of the manga,I say it is the must watch for the season.
Busou Renkin? Well I'm watching it just because Watsuki did the manga,and I say give it a chance, it said to get good.
D.Gray-Man,thats one also I hope will get better as the series goes along.
I'm still watching Nana as that continues,andthe Jigoku Shoujo sequel should be good.
So.. WATCH DEATH NOTE! Laughing
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Ryvius213 wrote:

Not to mention the attempt of interweaving all of 5 main girls' scenarios into one "continuous" one so no one would be "left out" (that's one thing KyoAni pretty much blew it on in Air TV; once one the girl's story ends, they're pretty much never heard again). And besides most fans of a certain visual novel complain a lot towards anime producers for sticking to one scenerio path because certain girls doesn't get represented properly.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I think that the review of Busou Renkin was a bit harsh (though rather accurate) so I'm gonna give it a bit of a chance and see if it starts getting any better. If it turns out like it's supposed to then I'll stop after the first 3-4 eps and just watch it once its completed.

D.Gray-man also seems like it'll pan out nicely. I like that Allen is a bit of a softie but still manages to fight without suffering from the Vash/Kenshin/Abel syndrome where he has to have an alternate personality with all the fighting skill. That fact alone almost makes me want to keep watching.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:

Actually, this version is very different from the outset from the previous animation. It follows the game and the girls' stories are more integrated into this version of the anime.

However, this show is an acquired taste. I love this title.

I, too, think that Red Garden should have been reviewed.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
El Oso

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I ended up being really disappointed with Busou Renkin. I guess I set myself up for it though. I never pick up titles soley because I enjoyed the manga-ka or directors previous works, but I ended up doing it with this one. And after recently finishing the Kenshin manga I was pretty hopeful. Oh well, I must be a sucker for shonen. As mediocre as it is there's enough action for me to continue watching and losing brain cells.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Honestly I really liked Bartender too but I guess Carl didn't. This is why I opened it up to the whole staff, though, so it isn't just one person's opinion on everything.

The subs weren't too good, but from what I heard it was just one guy who translated the whole episode and he did it quickly, which is why we had odd lines like "a bartender is one who tends a bar; kindness is born". Sadly, like Souten no Ken and Katekyo Hitman REBORN!, I think there are too many groups fawning over DN and Kanon and later installments of the show will likely get passed over.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
purple_monkey wrote:

I'm disappointed the preview didn't show Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori, though I guess that's expected since the show started like a day ago. That is easily now the first thing I'm keeping track of.

I don't think sequels should be previewed, since the only people who can/will watch it are the people who watched the first series.

Is it just me, or are the erogame-based animes on the rise?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Plus, Black Lagoon is licensed by Geneon and people will get a look at that one soon enough when it releases here.

Well, that depends. This season is the start of Black Lagoon's second season (titled Black Lagoon: Second Barrage), which as far as we know is not licensed. Granted, I have no doubts Black Lagoon will be a strong performer in Region 1 and Second Barrage's license is as good as inevitable, but...yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for someone to have something less than gushing praise for Kanon Very Happy

Seriously, KyoAni has so many other things they could be doing-_-

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who found code geas's premise idiotic:D

Just have to wonder why it always has to be Japan, and of all the countries it has to be an american/british empire. I mean I know it's anime, and hence made by the Japanese, but seriously rebellion against an 3vil empire would not come from some little island; especially after its already been conquered -_-

Aside from that Pumpkin scissors has me hooked, Oland going into god mode is good enough to get me to watch the show. Although I hope they can get off the "lets save the commoners" direction the plot is going.

Deathnote is my favorite as of now though. Personally I found the manga a bit dialogue heavy, I mean I don't mind a little explanation here and there, but it was pretty dense. I mean it's not like I'm one of those people who can't read book without falling asleep, but it just wasn't bearable in this case. The anime is just handles it better with the voice acting, animation, and music just making it more dramatic when someone is explaining why this that and the other thing will happen.

Quote:
Is it just me, or are the erogame-based animes on the rise?

that's been a pattern for at least the past 3 years if not more O_o;;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12