• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2006 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treatment

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
treatment wrote:

Btw, take heart coz there is a loli in Kanon-2k6 and she'd been fairly introduced already by ep3. There used to be two in the Kanon-2k2 version, but the other's been upgraded by KyoAni's character-designers. Cool

Who would this person be?

If you're asking who the loli in Kanon is, it'll be spoiler[Makoto].

If you're asking who the other loli in the first anime was, it'll be spoiler[Shiori] . In Toei-Kanon, her design was middle-school loli, whereas in KyoAni-Kanon, she's more appropriate high-schooler design.

Quote:
& btw, is your avatar Tamaki Kosaka from To Heart 2? Confused
Yes.

Obtw, here's the bestest girl of Kanon, as designed by the KyoAni studio. Cool

Last edited by treatment on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
treatment

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The Kanon preview was JUST A PREVIEW. Maybe Carlo would have changed his mind had they seen more, maybe he wouldn't have. Either way, it is just HIS OPINION of the show. He has no obligation to comment on what other people think.

He didn't like it, other people (myself included) love it. That's fine. Get over it.

Well, not that I really care, but in the interest of discussion, I think the point of irksomeness and annoyance from the other Kanon-fans were these lines from Carlos' "preview"-ing:

Quote:

For those who missed Kanon on the first go-round (which includes me)...
Ultimately, having a fan-favorite studio remake a so-so anime series is like asking famous classical pianist Emanuel Ax to play an arrangement of a Barry Manilow song. It's going to be gorgeous as all get out, but you never forget the banality of the content. - Carlo Santos

Now, was that even really necessary to take an underhanded swipe against it? Carlos admitted missing the first version of Kanon and then he proceeded to even judge it as a so-so anime series??? Talk about, say, making stuff up to fake authoritativeness at, by golly, a preview-opinion! Razz

It did made me chuckle at the absurdity of his Kanon-"preview"-ing when I first read it. I guess some Kanon-fans like crilix got too annoyed to even bother registering on this forum to comment on it. Oh, well. Life goes on.
Nermal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:11 am Reply with quote
Flipnofunk wrote:
on the topic bartender is anyone gonna try to make a Grasshoper? Very Happy

I will try this weekend, but not cafe pousse or whatever the fancy layer style was called. I'm going to try to get my mom to drink with me...I heard this rumor that she used to drink grasshoppers a lot (hah....and she wonders where I get it from Razz ).

On the "looking forward to..." subject, I thought a little about what that means...the only title that I had previously known about and was expecting this season was Death Note so I guess I could say I was looking forward to it. But if it means what I predict I will enjoy the most, judging from the first couple episodes I've watched of the ones on the list, I'd say I will most likely finish all of Hataraki Man and Chevalier. Death Note was really great to read, but if you already know where the story is going then the anime isn't as suspenseful; I don't have to get it the second I see it available.

Regarding Kanon, I never watched the original, so I don't have much to say about the new one or its review (I did see the 1st ep.) I suppose I enjoyed Air and KgNE on the whole, so perhaps I will stick with Kanon...and I do like sparkly eyes.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The Kanon preview was JUST A PREVIEW. Maybe Carlo would have changed his mind had they seen more, maybe he wouldn't have. Either way, it is just HIS OPINION of the show. He has no obligation to comment on what other people think.

He didn't like it, other people (myself included) love it. That's fine. Get over it.

Well, not that I really care, but in the interest of discussion, I think the point of irksomeness and annoyance from the other Kanon-fans were these lines from Carlos' "preview"-ing:

Quote:

For those who missed Kanon on the first go-round (which includes me)...
Ultimately, having a fan-favorite studio remake a so-so anime series is like asking famous classical pianist Emanuel Ax to play an arrangement of a Barry Manilow song. It's going to be gorgeous as all get out, but you never forget the banality of the content. - Carlo Santos

Now, was that even really necessary to take an underhanded swipe against it? Carlos admitted missing the first version of Kanon and then he proceeded to even judge it as a so-so anime series??? Talk about, say, making stuff up to fake authoritativeness at, by golly, a preview-opinion! Razz

It did made me chuckle at the absurdity of his Kanon-"preview"-ing when I first read it. I guess some Kanon-fans like crilix got too annoyed to even bother registering on this forum to comment on it. Oh, well. Life goes on.

Actually, I wasn't annoyed at all. It just wasn't worth the effort to get upset. The reviewer had little knowledge of the original version and probably didn't play the game either as evidenced by the Haruhi references. His viewpoint is the same as any first time Kanon viewer. (The Kanon subforum that I visit went thru this already.) But I felt that since he is a reviewer that some research into this title should have been done for the review, if only to ensure his credibility with Kanon fans and to give a more accurate review to the forum members.

Life goes on. If anyone wants to participate in an intelligent discussion of this program, I'd advise you to go to a Kanon subforum.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
if only to ensure his credibility with Kanon fans and to give a more accurate review to the forum members.

If Kanon fans want to act like every review of "their" show has to be vetted by them and meet their personal standards (their personal standards seem to be "you have to be as familiar with the show as we do and also you have to give it a positive review") then I daresay there's some serious arrogance and presumption there.

"Credibility with Kanon fans". As though his opinion on the show is irrelevant if the show's diehard fans don't agree with it. Rolling Eyes
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't even know enough as those "die-hard fans" know. But I knew enough to know that the Haruhi references would be off base. (From translations of the animators interview of this title, it was apparently going to be true to the game.) Even reviewers do some research before posting.

Even with doing the research, a negative review is possible if the genre is not your style. Just demonstrating that some research is done is enough to have credibility. It's apparent from his review that he didn't. Life goes on.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Even with doing the research, a negative review is possible if the genre is not your style. Just demonstrating that some research is done is enough to have credibility. It's apparent from his review that he didn't. Life goes on.

Excuse me, what "research" was he supposed to do?

This is the only line in the review that mentions Haruhi Suzumiya:

"Kyoto Animation is only as good as their source material, and anyone expecting the next Haruhi Suzumiya will be disappointed. "

That's it. He isn't wrong there. The show isn't anything like their last work which is what they're most popular for and a lot of people might think "These people made Haruhi? I better check it out!". He isn't directly comparing the two shows at all.

"Even reviewers do research before posting"? I'm not even sure what this means. What was Carlo supposed to research? Is he required to put his review of this show into a context that makes diehard fans happy? Because that isn't the point of his review; he's taking a look at it from the position of a newcomer to the series. That's it.

I get that you saw the original and you disagree with this review. But it has nothing to do with "doing research" or any kind of systemic or professional error in Carlo's review.

You just disagree with what's being said. That's it.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I think it's better that he took the viewpoint of someone new to the series in his review. Kanon fans have probably already SEEN the show by now, regardless--so why does he need to tell them if it's any good or not? It's the people who don't know much about the series that really need to know if it's good for them or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I think it's better that he took the viewpoint of someone new to the series in his review. Kanon fans have probably already SEEN the show by now, regardless--so why does he need to tell them if it's any good or not? It's the people who don't know much about the series that really need to know if it's good for them or not.

Actually, this position implies that the reviewer has some knowledge of the title to base his views on. It's true that a fan of the title already knows about the title. However, if you rely on someone "new" to the title to approximate your experience, then I think that it's better to watch it yourself and form your own opinions. You can always read a blog to gain info on the episodes or find a subforum.

And Zac, this was the line I was referring to..

Carlos Santos wrote:
To their credit, though, KyoAni always applies a very high level of polish to anything they do. Character designs are consistent throughout, despite the generic big-eyed bishoujo look (so, this Neo-Kyon moves into a town where all the girls are Neo-Mikuru...), and the color palette absolutely glistens.

If you did some research on Kanon, you would know that this scenario is impossible as Kanon predates Haruhi. "Neo" whoever can't occur, since this is based on the game scenario and game designs. Also, there was even a published interview with the animators in a Japanese magazine to give info to the public and fans about the new series.

As I said before, if you don't appear to do some minimum research, then it's not something I'm going to care about one way or the other. But, I'm sure that others can find some use for that review.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Actually, this position implies that the reviewer has some knowledge of the title to base his views on. It's true that a fan of the title already knows about the title. However, if you rely on someone "new" to the title to approximate your experience, then I think that it's better to watch it yourself and form your own opinions. You can always read a blog to gain info on the episodes or find a subforum.

By this logic, anyone who reviews a film or a TV show or a game or whatever that they're not already familiar with isn't really worth listening to.

You've just disqualified 100 percent of the legitimate, professional critics out there. If you're one of these "screw all critics" people then OK, we can stop having this conversation, but you seem like a reasonable person who simply isn't making much sense and is coming up with imaginary "standards" for reviews that fit whatever you're arguing against.

Quote:

If you did some research on Kanon, you would know that this scenario is impossible as Kanon predates Haruhi. "Neo" whoever can't occur, since this is based on the game scenario and game designs. Also, there was even a published interview with the animators in a Japanese magazine to give info to the public and fans about the new series.

It was a throwaway, jokey line intended to be amusing, not a sincere comment on the show. You need to lighten up a little bit.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
<-- The bestest girl of Kanon. Cool

treatment wrote:
Obtw, here's the bestest girl of Kanon, as designed by the KyoAni studio. Cool

hikaru004 wrote:

Actually, it is possible. Whereas the Kanon franchise itself definitely predates Haruhi, Kanon 2006 does not, and KyoAni's decision to cast Tomokazu Sugita as Yuuichi and make Mariko Kouda sound more like Yuuko Gotou definitely makes some of the character and much of the series itself reminescent of Suzumiya Haruhi.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Being a reviewer means you watch (or read, as the case may be something) and then give your opinion on it. Some reviewers may choose to do some sort of "research", but that is up to them. And since Kanon (2006) is supposed to be enjoyed by anyone, not just fans of the original game or series, someone who is new to the franchise is actually a better reviewer particularly since most people reading the review will also be new to it and unfamiliar with it.

Oh, and entertainment should not require research to be enjoyed (unless its created specifically for the fans of something and/or is a sequal to something). If it requires 'research' then that's a bad thing. If a series makes the assumption that its viewers are already familiar with things and then doesn't explain things that it should, that's a bad thing and it would negligent for a reviewer NOT to point such a thing out.

I'm viewing Kanon for the first time and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I disagree with Carlo's review, but he's entitled to his opinion and what these people (Hikaru004 in particular) are saying is ludicrous and makes me Rolling Eyes
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:04 am Reply with quote
Well, to each their own. However, I prefer that a reviewer has some background knowledge of what he's reviewing prior to review. It's not that unreasonable to see that gaming reviewers have some background knowledge about the previous games in a series, so why should anime be any different? Ebert also demonstrates background knowledge in his reviews.

Since this is a known franchise over there and its had alot of publicity, odds are that the viewing population already has some idea about it prior viewing. It's the other regions' populations that are playing catchup. (Broadcast is 1 AM Fridays so it's selecting for the anime fan population over there and the DVDs are already available for pre-ordering.)

Tomokazu is actually giving a performance similar to the game Yuichi. Kyon is based on an anime male stereotype just like Yuichi. Kouda's performance is similar to the first series performance imo. Mikuru is also a stereotypical character.

But, I still maintain that some people will find some use for that review.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:18 am Reply with quote
Well, most people who have an idea of what the series is about and how good it is don't even need a review to tell them that a series is enjoyable.

Also, Ebert doesn't judge a movie based on his background research. He only does that to make sure he understands the movies he watches. Kanon does not take any research at all to understand. Just watch and you'll understand it perfectly. Why should anyone have to try to become a Kanon fanboy before giving an opinion on it?

Anyway, since you enjoy the series, I don't see why you need to hear a positive opinion on it. It doesn't matter how terrible a review or opinion on an anime series is, as long as you enjoy it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Well, to each their own. However, I prefer that a reviewer has some background knowledge of what he's reviewing prior to review. It's not that unreasonable to see that gaming reviewers have some background knowledge about the previous games in a series, so why should anime be any different?

If it was part of a series, then yes, of course a reviewer should have seen/read the previous installments. But Kanon isn't part of a series anymore than the Final Fantasy games are part of a series. It's a stand alone product with some cameos and references to other things in it, and they are fairly subtle, so you won't be going "huh?" if you don't catch it.

Quote:
Since this is a known franchise over there and its had alot of publicity, odds are that the viewing population already has some idea about it prior viewing.

Define "some idea." If you mean they had played the game or seen the TV series, its probably smaller than you think. Of course all of the fans of the game are going to give it a look, but so are lots of other people, especially after the success of TMoHS. And I'm under the impression that visual novels aren't exactly huge sellers. I'm guessing that a "blockbuster" visual novel would probably sell about as well as an average selling video game.

Quote:
Tomokazu is actually giving a performance similar to the game Yuichi. ... Kouda's performance is similar to the first series performance imo.

From what I've heard from other people, this is an accurate statement. So you are at least right on this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12