• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: World Trigger GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I am so, SO happy to see the World Trigger love here. I hope those choose to check it out enjoy it!
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite surprised by the love for World Trigger. I've been reading it since it's beginning in SJ (english version) and found it to be bland and excruciatingly slow for its first 20 chapters, with Yuma being pretty insufferable. Yet it somehow became so popular that cross manage was pushed into cancellation (after 50 chapters, admittedly) and now an anime has been announced for it. In the authors comments for that issue of SJ the writer of World Trigger said that no one was more surprised by the announcement than he was, and i don't blame him.

To be fair, it has gotten better and has become an interesting series to read week to week. I'm just baffled by what it takes for a series to catch on in Japan (or maybe i'm just bitter about Cross Manage, RIP)
marvel knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I'm quite surprised by the love for World Trigger. I've been reading it since it's beginning in SJ (english version) and found it to be bland and excruciatingly slow for its first 20 chapters, with Yuma being pretty insufferable. Yet it somehow became so popular that cross manage was pushed into cancellation (after 50 chapters, admittedly) and now an anime has been announced for it. In the authors comments for that issue of SJ the writer of World Trigger said that no one was more surprised by the announcement than he was, and i don't blame him.

To be fair, it has gotten better and has become an interesting series to read week to week. I'm just baffled by what it takes for a series to catch on in Japan (or maybe i'm just bitter about Cross Manage, RIP)

World Trigger isn't that popular yet. Sure there are numerous weeks where it bears heavy hitters like Nisekoi, Toriko and Gintama and the series does get quite a few colour pages, but it's usually in the middle of the rankings.
marvel knight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
MDoorpsy wrote:
Quote:
But that's exactly what's happening. The print volumes are only coming out in December. And One Punch Man doesn't even have print volumes , it's digital only.

One Punch Man isn't in print YET. We'll see. The situation with AC is different from Kuroko and Haikyuu. Along with Shokugeki, AC was heavily requested. Case in point, they never dedicated time on their podcasts to explain why they hadn't Kuroko or Haikyuu, but they did for the other two. Sports manga don't tend to be nearly as popular over here as in Japan, and they know it. I was honestly surprised they even bothered with Cross Manage, but maybe they were looking at Nisekoi's success over here and figured it would be good to try another series with romantic elements. I'm not trying to say that it is at all likely that they will license it in the magazine, just that the volumes could be a good way to see if their is a large enough audience for it. Given the way the team started talking about Shokugeki after the volumes came out it wouldn't surprise me for them to put that in the magazine as well.

Quote:
Along with the content , another problem is that the manga is already 100 chapters in , so it doesn't make sense to suddenly put it in Jump where nothing will make sense. It's the same story with Soma, that's way in too. It's a way reason why they're starting JUMP Start, to prevent this kind of thing from occurring again in the future.

A fair point. But I will point out that Nisekoi had, what, how many chapters out when it came over the pond? I wanna say 70, but that is a guess. I do agree that it was a bit of a miss step to not release the volumes up to that point first, but they could have learned from that and maybe that is what will happen with Soma (release volumes, then start series so that readers can catch up quickly- through legal means- and start reading the current chapters), and maybe AC if it actually runs long enough for the volumes to get close to catching up(I don't mean that it would get cancelled, just that the author would end it of his own will).

Quote:
How volumes sell in Japan have no basis here, otherwise we would have gotten stuff like Kuroko and Haikyuu already.

Sales in Japan don't effect sales here, but from a publishing perspective when you are looking at what series to translate it can be helpful to look at the best selling series, since if they are doing so well they must be doing something right (I know, popularity doesn't necessarily equal quality, but it can be a good indicator). Of the other series in the top 10, (Attack on Titan, Magi, Hozuki, Silver Spoon, Ace of Diamond, and Kuroko) only one is published by Shueisha, and Kuroko just ended. Going beyond the top 10, there still is a chance for Haikyuu. Viz is probably a little apprehensive to do another sports series after Cross Manage didn't pan out (I cite the same reason for why we didn't get Hero Academy, the new manga from the author of Barrage), but perhaps Sorting Salt will give them reason to try a new sports series if that one is popular.

Whoo, boy. This turned out longer than I expected. I apologize to anyone that actually decided to read through all that

And it's not likely to either unfortunately , i really wonder what's the problem. Cross Manage actually did pretty well over here, i wonder it used to top the digital manga list every week when there was a new volume and they published all the volumes in english. It's mainly Japan who didn't take to it. I think it would be good timing to put in Soma when they're starting a new year in story , but otherwise i don't think people would actually follow if AC and Soma were just suddenly in without any backstory , unless they put a retrospect issue.
I admit i'm baffled with Nisekoi , and i have no explanation for that.

Like i mentioned earlier , Cross Manage didn't pan out in Japan , it actually did pretty well for itself here. I could see them doing Haikyuu! with the anime getting licensed by sentai.
MDoorpsy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Cross Manage actually did pretty well over here, i wonder it used to top the digital manga list every week when there was a new volume and they published all the volumes in english. It's mainly Japan who didn't take to it

Yes, and that's really the main problem. Viz is a business. It needs to find series that can make back the money they paid to license it. Cross Manage's 5 volumes did well, but still, just 5 volumes. Unfortunately, we don't have much impact on the rankings yet, so Japan still decides whether a series actually becomes successful or not. They're looking for a big cash cow particularly hard now because both Bleach and Naruto are on their last legs.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Good to see the favorable opinions, I'm looking forward to checking it out with the anime.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
If they can publish Battle Royale, then they can publish Assassination Classroom. Sounds like an interesting title. Will have to keep an eye on it, and worse comes to worse, find it online if our society's weak sensibilities keeps it off our shores.

Definitely will pick up World Trigger, story also sounds interesting.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Yet another series to add to my sample list.
MDoorpsy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If they can publish Battle Royale, then they can publish Assassination Classroom. Sounds like an interesting title. Will have to keep an eye on it, and worse comes to worse, find it online if our society's weak sensibilities keeps it off our shores.

There are a few differences, mainly that Battle Royale is seinen and AC is shounen. I have yet to read the Battle Royale manga, but the problem with AC, isn't that the kids are killing, its that they are trying to kill their TEACHER. What with all the school shootings we've had here in America, it is kindof a touchy subject. Still a great series and I hope they publish it, but I can see why they wouldn't want to kick that particular hornet's nest.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
MDoorpsy wrote:
Quote:

There are a few differences, mainly that Battle Royale is seinen and AC is shounen. I have yet to read the Battle Royale manga, but the problem with AC, isn't that the kids are killing, its that they are trying to kill their TEACHER. What with all the school shootings we've had here in America, it is kindof a touchy subject. Still a great series and I hope they publish it, but I can see why they wouldn't want to kick that particular hornet's nest.

They are publishing it in volumes from December onwards. The whole "trying to kill their teacher" thing could be controversial until you find out that their teacher is an alien trying to destroy the earth. I'd say manga is no way near big enough in America at the moment to cause a media frenzy so Viz should be fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2