• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Trigger's When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:

Trigger doesn't have infinite funds to make whatever they want.

They didn't even have the funds to make Kill la Kill, they just faked it.

As for this title, I would have preferred it if they settled on "Everyday Battles Against Normal Life" because if I wanted to watch Supernatural Battles becoming commonplace, I have Soul Eater on Blu-ray.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
WikiSonic wrote:
I don't really care for the title that was chosen. Inou Battle Within Everyday Life was already sufficient enough, in my opinion.

Will definitely try it out, though.
Heaven forbid we have English titles where 100% of the words are comprehensible to English speakers. I'd take it even further to something like "When the Extraordinary becomes Ordinary," but that may be too liberal.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
Like Miyazaki says, it is the fault of the "otaku" that the industry is full of this crap, though I do hope this anime will at least be enjoyable.

I do actually agree with Miyazaki on this that we have too much of these type of pandering (overuse of LNs) currently but sales are often strong with these type of series.
WikiSonic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
WikiSonic wrote:
I don't really care for the title that was chosen. Inou Battle Within Everyday Life was already sufficient enough, in my opinion.

Will definitely try it out, though.
Heaven forbid we have English titles where 100% of the words are comprehensible to English speakers. I'd take it even further to something like "When the Extraordinary becomes Ordinary," but that may be too liberal.

Exactly. Can't have any of that.

No. I just think "Within Everyday Life" sounds more natural than "When_____Became Commonplace." I think "Supernatural Battles Within Everyday Life" would've been the best happy medium.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
The main problem I have with the title When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace is that, based on the premise, it is misleading. My understanding from the little I've read on the show is that the premise - which strikes me as quite funny - is that a bunch of highschool kids get these kickass powers for what they assume will be major battles ... but those battles never come. Life continues to be ordinary. In other words, they're superheroes in a world that doesn't need their powers.

A title like When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace suggests a situation where supernatural battles are so frequent that nobody considers them to be extraordinary any more which is not in line with the premise as I understand it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The main problem I have with the title When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace is that, based on the premise, it is misleading. My understanding from the little I've read on the show is that the premise - which strikes me as quite funny - is that a bunch of highschool kids get these kickass powers for what they assume will be major battles ... but those battles never come. Life continues to be ordinary. In other words, they're superheroes in a world that doesn't need their powers.

A title like When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace suggests a situation where supernatural battles are so frequent that nobody considers them to be extraordinary any more which is not in line with the premise as I understand it.

The world always needs super hero's, they just chose to ignore all the evil that is around them, for their writer's particular plot point.
WikiSonic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
From what I can gather, you're absolutely right. The battles themselves are not commonplace at all. Instead, life has continued as normal. This is why I think it's best not to be too liberal when localizing titles. For example, Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou's English title took away the meaning of the original title almost completely. It has nothing to do with the title having Japanese in it; it's about being as accurate as possible.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Still hoping this will be watchable, only reason I'm watching is because it's a LN adaptation and 99% of those I watch are great. Trigger is what I fear though. Their name attached to anything is a warning sign, I learnt that the hard way suffering through KLK and IC (though LWA was actually good). Keeping my hopes up though.

So let me get this straight. Anything that is adapted from a visual novel is amazing in your eyes, and a studio as artistically diverse and creative as Trigger is the warning sign? There are indeed many strange people inhabiting these forums. I can at least appreciate Trigger for trying to be different, this anime looks as bland as they come regarding the visuals. I don't think you and me would get along very well. Or enjoy the same anime anyway.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
BrainBlow wrote:
BishonenOtaku wrote:
Dammit, Trigger, what are you doing? You were supposed to be the saviors of anime.

Scale back your expectations.
SALES dictate the industry.
Like Miyazaki says, it is the fault of the "otaku" that the industry is full of this crap, though I do hope this anime will at least be enjoyable.
Trigger doesn't have infinite funds to make whatever they want.

Kadmos1 wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:

I do actually agree with Miyazaki on this that we have too much of these type of pandering (overuse of LNs) currently but sales are often strong with these type of series.

No, they don't sell. In fact, most of them bomb in home video sales.
This lie--that they are doing it because it all sells well--needs to stop.

Also refer to this poll of Nico Nico anime viewers:
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-10-02/nico-nico-users-rank-the-hottest-anime-from-summer-2014/.79490

About "pandering". Pandering etymologically comes from Panderus who was a trojan--it implies disingenuous motivations. A politician panders for votes when he is preaching something he doesn't believe in himself or would not do for himself if it weren't for the votes. THAT is the logically accurate use.

But as I have mentioned before: what would artists do if they did not have to worry about money or working? Look at what Masamune Shirow is doing right now, now that he doesn't have to worry about money.

I'm telling you these former Gainax otaku (the same guys who put Noriko from Gunbuster into their eroge Cybernetic High School) and their progeny are NOT pandering. They enjoy what they do, even if you don't (re: When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace Anime)
Quote:
Said Wakabayashi, "Yes, we can do cute girls, too. The next series is going to be all about kawaii." He mentioned later that the series had, "an older sister type, a loli type… we have all of them," adding with a laugh, "the loli one, that's my favorite character."

The same for KLK.. not when, unbeknownst to most people, they candidly ask: Ryuko's boobs vs Satsuki's ass?
Or when describing the thoughts behind the scenes of the production for this cut
Quote:
I wanted to stick away from my perverted side this week, but I couldn’t help it. I almost made it though (laughs). I can’t find the words to describe how happy this scenes “snap” sound made me.

or this cut
Quote:
Everything in one angle! Perfect! According to our settings management staff, the one of our key animator noted that her breasts should bounce more in this scene.

Whenver the complaints about pandering come up in this context, what the complainer is really saying: "Wah! Why did the artist have to go do something I don't like? I want them to pander to me and my narrow tastes!"
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
The same for KLK.. not when, unbeknownst to most people, they candidly ask: Ryuko's boobs vs Satsuki's ass?

Actually, that was just PR representative Tattun weighing in on the poll. I believe it was started on 4chan's /a/ board.

Man, I remember when that poll was freakishly dead even. I'm a little disappointed to see that either side's taken the edge.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Actually, that was just PR representative Tattun weighing in on the poll. I believe it was started on 4chan's /a/ board.

Man, I remember when that poll was freakishly dead even. I'm a little disappointed to see that either side's taken the edge.

I believe he also handles Trigger's administrative and other business work, but yeah, I knew he didn't create it, but just brought it up as an one of many examples of candid comments from staffers, since his posts and retweets, which are also in Japanese, are very different than the official @Trigger_usa. Anyways, I'm a bit disappointed Satsuki didn't win since she's better (and bigger) in both categories.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although the members expected to be thrown into a world of super-powered battles (inō-battle) at their school, their normal daily routine continued. No secret organizations bent on world destruction, no super-powered wars, no braves or demon kings.

Others are mad but that actually sounds interesting to me. The normality is definitely not something you see on a regular basis in anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2