Forum - View topic
The Fall 2014 Anime Preview Guide


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lossthief
ANN Reviewer


Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 894
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-shi hasn't aired yet in japan. I believe it's set to air in about 4 1/2 days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jymmy



Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Posts: 1244
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
jymmy wrote:
The only thing more intellectually and viscerally satisfying than an elegant argument is a rebut so witty and exact that it reduces it to rubble.


Me lose brain Frieza Pico?

Well, as you've clarified the post I'm quoting from, I guess you weren't refuting the claim, so much as adding that you find it boring, which is fair enough.

Anyway, you got something against the greatest moe icons of the '90s and '00s?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Shadowrun20XX



Joined: 26 Nov 2007
Posts: 1916
Location: Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
jymmy wrote:
The only thing more intellectually and viscerally satisfying than an elegant argument is a rebut so witty and exact that it reduces it to rubble.


Me lose brain Frieza Pico?

Well, as you've clarified the post I'm quoting from, I guess you weren't refuting the claim, so much as adding that you find it boring, which is fair enough.

Anyway, you got something against the greatest moe icons of the '90s and '00s?
No way , love it all as equally as one could! More the better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Ali07



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 3333
Location: Victoria, Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Girlfriend BETA - Checked this one out because I wanted to know what it was going to be like. It's based off a dating sim, but doesn't seem to have a male character in it, so I had no idea exactly what they were going for.

This is the first series of the season (from the ones I viewed) that has me dropping it after the first episode. I'd say that it's too geared towards the fans of the game. They already have a favourite, or favourites, so they're invested. Didn't see anything in there that made me interested in the characters.

Had a feeling that this series would be for people to see the characters in a CGDCT series. And, this first episode was exactly that. Not that I have a problem with CGDCT series, as I did enjoy KINMOZA and Is The Order A Rabbit?, but they're really shows that need to hook me in with the first episode. It's not exactly the type of series I watch much of.

Something that did bother me in the episode is the discussion when a couple of characters interrupt Kokomi's training. The clubs she's holding seem to change size a few times and the 2 blondes that appear have annoying voices. Laughing

And, the conversation with the librarian was a strange one. I say that because I found that the voices sounded pretty similar. Oh, and Kokomi's body proportions are all over the place. She's the MC and there were many times when her proportions would change.

Did have to laugh at the dilemma Kokomi faces with having to spoiler[return the photo. Why not give it to the Student Council President? She's in the same class as the Chloe, you'd think it'd be the logical thing to do and that you could trust the Student Council President to return the photo. Also, why does Kokomi not tell anyone that it's a photo?]

Though, while I found Chloe's voice annoying, it was because of the accent. But, the accent is a nice touch. Most of the anime I've seen have exchange students that, at least from what I hear, have perfect Japanese accents.

Got some yuri vibes coming from the MC in this episode. Laughing

The only thing that interests me is the fact they've got 50 or so VAs from the game for the girls, so seeing how well they cover them is intriguing. Though, not enough to watch beyond this first episode.

Now to wait for Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jymmy



Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Posts: 1244
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Though, while I found Chloe's voice annoying, it was because of the accent. But, the accent is a nice touch. Most of the anime I've seen have exchange students that, at least from what I hear, have perfect Japanese accents.

I had the opposite reaction. I found not her accent but her intonation appalling, and that's not even getting into how her near-total fluency would be impossible to achieve while speaking anything like that. I get that it's a cutesy affectation, and isn't supposed to be believable, but as a learner of Japanese it destroyed my immersion immediately. (I'm not even sure she has an accent, just stress on exactly the wrong syllables every time.)

Now, saying the French uvular R in place of the Japanese I'd like to see, though it may be a bit too much to ask of the average voice actress.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
danilo07



Joined: 25 Dec 2011
Posts: 1580
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Nagahama, Hiroshi did neither fund or write Mushishi(the credit goes to the author of the manga), so i'm not sure why you're bringing him. All he did was direct the first season. Mushishi also never aired on the Noitamina block.

Why are brining up stuff that has nothing to do with the reason Mushishi got funded?

Nagahama has been pushing the idea for Mushishi sequel for 7 years until Aniplex approached him, so no he is not just a director.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rederoin



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1426
Location: Europa
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
Nagahama, Hiroshi did neither fund or write Mushishi(the credit goes to the author of the manga), so i'm not sure why you're bringing him. All he did was direct the first season. Mushishi also never aired on the Noitamina block.

Why are brining up stuff that has nothing to do with the reason Mushishi got funded?

Nagahama has been pushing the idea for Mushishi sequel for 7 years until Aniplex approached him, so no he is not just a director.

You missed the point my post, I'm refuting the claim that the original mushishi series was done just for the 'art' and not the money.

He did not fund the series.


Last edited by Rederoin on Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
UtenaAnthy



Joined: 27 Oct 2006
Posts: 694
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:55 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Though I get annoyed that many Japanese productions are fixated on propagandising terrible overseas food like hamburgers and doughnuts without depicting what it does to people. If every of such junk food-loving cutesy girl would have realistic weigh like 100 kg or more, then I would even applaud appearance of the nasty, artificial taste-enhanced "food".

But not this brainwashing of the youth. I hate it with passion, just like many Japanese propagandise smoking tobacco (hemp is dramatically healthier, by the way, but it is never depicted under insane upside-down "social morals" nonsense).


My fat, female body is not a warning for thin people thankyou very much. There should be way more fat women and girls in anime because fat women and girls exist and are human beings and anime is clearly mostly determined to marginalize us as much as possible. Occasionally there are exceptions like Real Drive but on the whole it's awful the nasty sexist shallow attitudes that are espoused by so many anime and media in general. Like Tribe Cool Crew, I'm glad they have a fat guy in it who's an extremely talented dancer but somehow even though there are fat guys in the background of some scenes none of the women are fat, I think I noticed the same thing in Tiger and Bunny and it pissed me the hell off. I have had to put up with so much cruelty because of my weight and since I was a kid when I WASN'T EVEN OVERWEIGHT my eating disordered mother and father had me on diets, I hate this despicable fat-hating diet culture we're all stuck in and I am sick of (almost certainly) thin people like you discussing my body and the bodies of people like me without caring about how we feel or what we think about it. And furthermore my body is not a behaviour, unlike smoking or eating unhealthy food. And I am extremely cute, as my two gorgeous boyfriends would agree. I'm living my life to the fullest far more than some thin people I know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Rederoin



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1426
Location: Europa
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote
Being fat is unhealthy, it should be in no way be encouraged.


And no, we should not have more 'fat' people in anime/manga, that should be the choice of the producers, and the (Japanese) audience tend to prefer attractive characters, you won't find many Japanese anime fans who are into fat girls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 13130
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Being fat is unhealthy, it should be in no way be encouraged.


And no, we should not have more 'fat' people in anime/manga, that should be the choice of the producers, and the (Japanese) audience tend to prefer attractive characters, you won't find many Japanese anime fans who are into fat girls.


Unless they were catering to the people that have fat fetishes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rederoin



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1426
Location: Europa
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
Being fat is unhealthy, it should be in no way be encouraged.


And no, we should not have more 'fat' people in anime/manga, that should be the choice of the producers, and the (Japanese) audience tend to prefer attractive characters, you won't find many Japanese anime fans who are into fat girls.


Unless they were catering to the people that have fat fetishes.

True, but going by the lack of fat girls as main characters, I don't think many Otaku have a preference for fat girls. We had one in winter as a friend of the Female protagonist, but thats all I can off the top of my head as far as late night tv anime go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vanfanel



Joined: 26 Dec 2008
Posts: 1183
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
But they all seem to have very similar tastes to each other and those pretty much differ completely from mine, which makes me sad because I can't really use this guide.


Theoretically, though, a critic you consistently disagree with should be just useful as one whom you always agree with -- just not as much fun to read. Wink

I still haven't seen Gundam (which I'm looking forward to), but after catching Fate/Stay Night on Niconico, I'm definitely following that one. Garo is holding my interest, too, and that's.......about it, actually. Not complaining; it just means more time to do other stuff.

Also tried:
- World Trigger (cheap, with mildly irritating MC)
- Seven Deadly Sins (I like the character design, but the script is already guilty of lust, gluttony, envy, and sloth)
- Rage of Bahamut (looks nice; almost like it, but just can't get there)
- Psychopass 2 (Just checking in; my suspension of disbelief couldn't handle this last time, either)
- April is Your Lie (Very pretty, but looks like it's going to be about as subtle as a toothache; not interested in being pounded into submission the Joy of Life and Music)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChibiKangaroo



Joined: 01 Feb 2010
Posts: 2941
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:


My fat, female body is not a warning for thin people thankyou very much. There should be way more fat women and girls in anime because fat women and girls exist and are human beings and anime is clearly mostly determined to marginalize us as much as possible. Occasionally there are exceptions like Real Drive but on the whole it's awful the nasty sexist shallow attitudes that are espoused by so many anime and media in general. Like Tribe Cool Crew, I'm glad they have a fat guy in it who's an extremely talented dancer but somehow even though there are fat guys in the background of some scenes none of the women are fat, I think I noticed the same thing in Tiger and Bunny and it pissed me the hell off. I have had to put up with so much cruelty because of my weight and since I was a kid when I WASN'T EVEN OVERWEIGHT my eating disordered mother and father had me on diets, I hate this despicable fat-hating diet culture we're all stuck in and I am sick of (almost certainly) thin people like you discussing my body and the bodies of people like me without caring about how we feel or what we think about it. And furthermore my body is not a behaviour, unlike smoking or eating unhealthy food. And I am extremely cute, as my two gorgeous boyfriends would agree. I'm living my life to the fullest far more than some thin people I know.


I was more or less with you until you insulted that guy and bragged you had "two gorgeous boyfriends." That came across as a bit haughty, and caused this image and sound to immediately pop into my head:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UtenaAnthy



Joined: 27 Oct 2006
Posts: 694
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Being fat is unhealthy, it should be in no way be encouraged.


And no, we should not have more 'fat' people in anime/manga, that should be the choice of the producers, and the (Japanese) audience tend to prefer attractive characters, you won't find many Japanese anime fans who are into fat girls.


The degree of oblivious thin male privilege you are displaying is so obnoxious that I actually feel embarrassed on your behalf. And for the record, fat is not always unhealthy, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that removing stigma around fat bodies actually leads to better health outcomes for fat people regardless of whether they lose weight or not, and the anime fans you speak of are pornsick sexist immature manchildren and I'm not attracted to them for precisely that reason. And you know what, I don't smoke or drink at all so in that respect I'm healthier than a lot of thin people. Marginalizing fat people and their bodies does not promote good health, it's bullying and it's impact is negative not positive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
UtenaAnthy



Joined: 27 Oct 2006
Posts: 694
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:


My fat, female body is not a warning for thin people thankyou very much. There should be way more fat women and girls in anime because fat women and girls exist and are human beings and anime is clearly mostly determined to marginalize us as much as possible. Occasionally there are exceptions like Real Drive but on the whole it's awful the nasty sexist shallow attitudes that are espoused by so many anime and media in general. Like Tribe Cool Crew, I'm glad they have a fat guy in it who's an extremely talented dancer but somehow even though there are fat guys in the background of some scenes none of the women are fat, I think I noticed the same thing in Tiger and Bunny and it pissed me the hell off. I have had to put up with so much cruelty because of my weight and since I was a kid when I WASN'T EVEN OVERWEIGHT my eating disordered mother and father had me on diets, I hate this despicable fat-hating diet culture we're all stuck in and I am sick of (almost certainly) thin people like you discussing my body and the bodies of people like me without caring about how we feel or what we think about it. And furthermore my body is not a behaviour, unlike smoking or eating unhealthy food. And I am extremely cute, as my two gorgeous boyfriends would agree. I'm living my life to the fullest far more than some thin people I know.


I was more or less with you until you insulted that guy and bragged you had "two gorgeous boyfriends." That came across as a bit haughty, and caused this image and sound to immediately pop into my head:



I didn't insult him, I objected to the attitude that his words reflect. It read to me as though he was saying that fat girls aren't cute, maybe that reading is incorrect but the amount of people I've heard say things to that effect I've gotten kind of weary of it. And yes, I do object to thin people discussing this in a way that doesn't seem like they actually expect or want fat people to be a part of the discussion. Furthermore, I said the boyfriends thing because fat people are constantly told that we're fundamentally undesireable and unloveable and are destined to be alone, so I wanted to challenge that stereotype, I wasn't saying "bow before me for I am the most amazing person in the world and the sun shines out of my ass and o-ho-ho-ho-ho I am an evil ojou-sama" I was saying "if you're a fat person reading this, know that you are not destined to have a non-existent sex/love life because of your weight, size or shape". And for the record, my boyfriends are gorgeous TO ME. I don't care who else does or doesn't find them attractive as long as they don't try to make them or me feel bad about the way we look. Plus, a little bit of ojou-sama is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. I don't spend all my time going on about how superhumanly perfect I am (I know I have flaws and make mistakes just like anyone else), but I don't spend all my time putting myself down and denying or rejecting my good points or the positive things in my life either. I'd never laugh at someone else's pain, but I do enjoy laughing in every theatrically evil way in the book just for fun.

Rage of Bahamut - Really enjoying this so far. Shares some of it's vibe with Shinchiro Watanabe's stuff which is very exciting.

Lord Marksman and Vanadis - Eh, nowhere near as good as Rage of Bahamut as far as fantasy anime go.

Parasyte - Brilliant so far, hope it keeps it up as the world needs more good horror anime.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san - Loved the first episode and the second one right up until the point where Inugami-san shows up and almost ruins the show by being creepy beyond belief to the point where it feels like the creators are trolling the audience saying "Isn't this just so cute and touching a bond between two dysfunctional but loving people? Did you think this show would avoid the unpleasantly icky side of anime? Well BWAHAHAHAHA here's a child rapist played for laughs!" I hope that he gets annihilated in episode 3 but it's unlikely considering he's in the opening. Yeah his dog form is totally adorable but that's not much consolation considering how contemptible he is otherwise.

When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace - Definitely much better than most anime of the "based on otaku-aimed light novels" ilk. Great sense of humor and comedic timing.

Tribe Cool Crew - Really fun, colourful kid's show, glad Sentai Filmworks licensed it as I didn't think it was that likely that it would get a localized English release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 33

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group