• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Amy Reeder Hadley

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I was really disappointed that I didn't get a chance to see Amy at NDK (I didn't realize she had a panel there until *after* the con--although I suppose it's just as well, since her panels were on drawing and I don't draw! Anime hyper) I've been very impressed with Fool's Gold so far, particularly with the art and costumes. She's influenced by manga, but it does a good job of not *copying* it, if that makes any sense.

Of course, probably part of it is that she's from my native Colorado...Anime hyper Well, that and some of the fashions seem vaguely EGL-ish (I don't dress in that fashion, but I love it!). But, besides the art and fashions, the plot IS very good. I love how she borrows themes and characters from Pride and Prejudice without completely retelling it, as well.

Gah, I just love everything about it! Anime hyper It's probably the best "Global Manga" I've read so far (well...tied with Megatokyo and Earthsong--although I actually like her art-style *slightly* better than both of them). Definately something to pick up if you enjoy shoujo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Intersting...I've been interested in picking this up, so reading an interview with the artist was interesting.

The odd thing about her, and a few other OEL artists, is that they don't seem to be that into manga and anime itself that much, but love a few titles and really love the art style. Some OEL comikers are really into anime and manga, but a lot also aren't as much into it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing or a good thing, but that it is interesting.
RDespair

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:15 am Reply with quote
Wow, someone else enjoys Unico! Go Amy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Kimi wa Pet aka Tramps Like Us, is my favourite manga, and is a josei title, not shoujo. But at least it got a mention! It's definitely one of the most underappreciated titles out there. Ahhh, how I love it. Smile

I'm glad she talked about her appreciation of manga as art form being her main interest, rather than just wanting to 'be japanese'. I think it's important for OEL artists to make that distinction to the public, because it's easy to simply dismiss their work as wannabes, and not see their stories as important as well.

And hurrah for the Unico love! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1