• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brain Diving - It's All Geek To Me

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I'm finding some serious discrepancy between the preview for this article and the article's content.
Article Preview wrote:
A Geek in Japan, and it's pretty much just like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
In the article, it was stated that the book was poorly done & borderline offensive. When I see a comparison made to the ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark, generally it is used to convey the image of a treasure trove. The book certainly doesn't seem to be regarded as a "treasure" in itself, and is said to contain barely any knowledge, so its contents aren't any sort of "treasure". So what's going on here?

Ummm...the common reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark's "treasure" was that it was a Pandora's Box. Open it and all the evil in the world is released. Laughing

While I'm quite sure this book isn't "evil", the exaggerated comparison is still humourous.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Isn't the ending to Raiders of the Lost Ark the huge warehouse where the Ark is stored, the famous ending which was exploited for nostalgic value in the horrendous 4th movie?

Opening the Ark of the Covenant isn't the end of the movie. Near the end? Yes. The preview guide does not say that. If we were supposed to think of a "Pandora's Box", then that's what should have been said.
Quote:

Ummm...the common reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark's "treasure" was that it was a Pandora's Box. Open it and all the evil in the world is released.
Also, the Ark of the Covenant's depiction in the movie doesn't do what you describe Pandora's Box as doing. The Ark is also a poor stand-in for the phrase "Pandora's Box" for the additional reason that all which was released from the Ark returns to the Ark. Pandora's Box doesn't recapture the evil released from within. Technically, neither can the book. Once read and disseminated, that "evil" it "contained" can never go back in. In a sense, it never even leaves the book.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I think it's pretty obvious that when Brian meant the "end" to Raiders, he meant the "climax" where the Ark was opened.

In that this book can more or less be described as face-meltingly bad.

Just a slip of semantics.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I'm finding some serious discrepancy between the preview for this article and the article's content.
Article Preview wrote:
A Geek in Japan, and it's pretty much just like the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
In the article, it was stated that the book was poorly done & borderline offensive. When I see a comparison made to the ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark, generally it is used to convey the image of a treasure trove.

My first thought was of the climatic scene in which the spirits from the Ark of the Covenant melt the Nazis into goo (and less).
claudia92

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
That was maybe a little bit harsh?

Well, I actually haven't read the book. Just the 7 chapter (in spanish) which is provided for free in the authors' web (http://www.kirainet.com/capitulo-7-de-un-geek-en-japon-en-pdf/)

But, yeah, from what I read it felt full of stereotypes and just a really overview look of japanese culture from an outsider point of view. The language and the way of explaining things just seemed kiddy.

Your review has convinced me not to buy the book. I think there are by far better
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
I read the quotes off of Brian's tweets, I found them hilarious Laughing
I am glad that I did not read the book but had fun reading the quotes Laughing
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:00 am Reply with quote
I did not read the book, but I'd like to explain that in Spanish, "being/working like a little ant" (ser/trabajar como una hormiguita) is a common idiom which can be applied to anyone, not some xenophobic slur.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2