• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online II Anime to Cover Calibur, Mother's Rosary Arcs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
GrayArchon wrote:
I'm surprised they're wasting one episode on a recap episode instead of getting an extra episode for Calibur.

It's 14.5, not 15, so it's not using up one of the total 24 episodes.

Mother's Rosario is listed as starting 11/18, meaning 4 episodes available for Calibur before they move on to Mother's Rosario. They're wasting one of those weeks/episodes on a recap. It doesn't matter what the recap is numbered, as it still reduces Calibur to three episodes.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
So? Even if there was no recap next week there still wouldn't have been an extra episode for Calibur. The show is 24 episodes, not 25.
DCR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
A recap? After all the repetitive exposure and flashbacks they did in the first part? I guess I'll just pass.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So? Even if there was no recap next week there still wouldn't have been an extra episode for Calibur. The show is 24 episodes, not 25.

Really? So, is the episode after 14.5 going to be episode 16 instead of 15? If it is, then we'd be getting 24 including the recap episode. Without the recap, we'd be getting 23. If the recap is included in the episode count, and we don't skip a number, then it's 25 episodes.

Anyway, I guess I gotta catch up on SAO II. I've still to watch episode 5! Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Really? So, is the episode after 14.5 going to be episode 16 instead of 15? If it is, then we'd be getting 24 including the recap episode. Without the recap, we'd be getting 23. If the recap is included in the episode count, and we don't skip a number, then it's 25 episodes.

No, the recap is not included in the episode count. The week after it will be episode 15. 15-17 will be Calibur, 18-24 will be Mother's Rosario.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

No, the recap is not included in the episode count. The week after it will be episode 15. 15-17 will be Calibur, 18-24 will be Mother's Rosario.

Why isn't the episode in the episode count? We're getting 25 episodes all up. Unless, after airing, the recap episode ceases to exist? Laughing

Still, I agree with you when you were saying that they wouldn't have replaced the recap with an episode that covered the upcoming storyline. It's really just a wasted week, in my eyes, because it's just filler.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Recap specials like that are just something easy the staff can throw together to give themselves an extra week to work on future episodes. It doesn't use up one of the alloted 24 episodes which is why it's 14.5 and not 15. It's different from, say, various Gundam SEED episodes that were entirely clips shows and counted as an actual episode.

The alternative would be to air nothing all together but at least this way you can get some ratings.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

The alternative would be to air nothing all together but at least this way you can get some ratings.

Ratings don't matter, but the stations still get paid.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Well, though I did watch the video, I believe that's one of the usual typos Japenese do in their official english translations, moreso in this case, since the katakana clearly says "Maza-zu Rozario", which comes from "Mother's" and "Rosario", not "Rosary"; if it did come from "Rosary" it would've been written as "Rozari" or "ロザリ".

They're right. You're wrong.

Your mistake is that you are assuming they are trying to use katakana for the English word "rosary." They aren't. Christianity was not brought to Japan by English speaking people and as such the words they adopted are not necessarily going to be Japanese versions of English words. Rosario corresponds to a loan word that isn't from English and if you actually translate it, does mean rosary.

I'm going to just blame this on some random guy on the Internet that is overestimating his Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2