• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Strike Up The Dandy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I like Space Dandy as a whole, but there were episodes i wasn't crazy about.

It was experimental art showcase and storytelling. It was deeper than most people are use to if your not used to reading into something.

I guess it a nitch audience who into this genera, Robot Carnival wasn't seen as big hit either, it had following for the generation of viewers who like it. Its art and stories and humor were all over the place like Space Dandy.

I'm gad they did this show. I'll properly revisit the show again sometime later, seeing what I missed.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Galap wrote:
Well, Space Dandy is almost nothing like Cowboy Bebop, both visually and narratively. Bebop's visuals are dingy and gritty, and Dandy's are garish and bombastic. Narratively, Bebop is mostly a serious story, while Dandy is a comedy with extremely dumb humor.

I think of Space Dandy as the continuation of episodes like Jamming with Edward, Toys in the Attic, Mushroom Samba and Cowboy Funk.

That's a fair point actually. Bebop's "main" story so to speak had little to nothing in common with Space Dandy but Bebop actually had a decent bit of variety itself from episode to episode. There are certainly a few that trend much closer to Space Dandy.
Vongola Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
Remember when ADV (and others) would help fund series (albeit those ventures met with varying success)? If Space Dandy does well enough stateside, I think it'd be worth looking into to try and co-fund movies/long-OVAs for it (That'd probably be on FUNimation's side, since I don't think the William-Street boys have the funding yet/anymore to try and finance a project like that). There's obviously no need to worry about continuity, and as long as Watanabe's at the helm with a crew he's picked, it's almost guaranteed to be dandy. spoiler[We can finally get that Steve Blum cameo, too.]

I think we'd have to ask them how much of a success the show was on their end before we can think about them being involved for more. Season 1 did pretty good at an 11:30 timeslot, but Season 2, after being moved for Attack on Titan, didn't do so hot.

Hello, I'm relatively new when it comes to anime--or at least, actually following the behind the scenes stuff like sales or ratings and I'm a bit confused: people say that the second half of Dandy didn't do nearly as well with viewers (on Toonami, anyway), and yet, when I look up Toonami's ratings, Dandy consistently has around 800,000 viewers each week, never dropping below 750,000.

http://toonami.wikia.com/wiki/Toonami_Ratings

I know it's a wiki, but it's more that it consolidates it all into one convenient list, but the numbers seem to check out with other sources. Did I just find inaccurate sources? If not, what counts as a successful anime then? Since, from a numbers standpoint, it didn't lag too far behind Attack on Titan (give or take 200,000, which is to be expected, I guess). Any insight you can provide is appreciated!

Anyway, for favorite episodes, I have to say A Merry Companion is a Wagon in Space, Baby, Lovers are Trendy, Baby--aw, who am I kidding? I loved most of them, in one way or another. The only one that just completely didn't do it for me was probably Occasionally Even the Deceiver is Deceived, Baby--no one's characters were done any favors and despite some funny jokes, the whole "booby" gag just was getting thin at that point anyway, which may have been part of the joke, but it just didn't click with me. The Little Aloha was cool, though.

As for more, I would love for there to be a movie, but as far as the series goes, it feels right to not have another season, you know? It felt conclusive, even if I wanted more character resolution among the core cast (that's where a movie'd be nice) . . . Still, that's just me. I hope Funimation announces a home release soon--this is one of the few series I'd shell out for a blu-ray/DVD combo pack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3