• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2014 Anime Preview Guide - Fate/stay night

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I want to watch this, but do I have to watch Fate/Zero first? Or is this a prequel?
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
otakunomike wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
though which enging route( fate,ubw,heaven's feel ) is the actual sequel to fate zero is anyone's guess unless the author states otherwise. Personally i would hope it would be the fate/saber route that's the actual ending. Also though the quality and everything about the ep is great,unfortunately for those that watched the UBW movie aint gonna be excited much since its the same high quality animation we would expect from uftoable and this series follows that route like the movie so nothing is gonna be very different.

According to the sequel game Hollow Ataraxia, Heavens Feel is actually the 'canon' arc however it also explicitly states that all 3 are simply parallel universes of each other. It's hard to align Zero to any one of them, though with all the Tohsaka/Matou family issues it would seem to feed most into Heavens Feel.

true enough. though its as i said. unless the author or type-moon officially says otherwise, it will always be speculation on which ending is the true ending.

and the one that follows fate hollow ataraxia cause its as you said too. all three are parallel universes of each other so there is no way to know for sure. sure heaven's feel have some parts that would lead some to think otherwise, but there is no way to know. of course i dont since i have never seen the visual novels,nor played the game since their ero after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ragz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Wait, where is all the outrage??!

spoiler[Someone should tell the reviewers that there is actual rape in F/SN unlike Cross Ange]
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
ragz wrote:
Wait, where is all the outrage??!

spoiler[Someone should tell the reviewers that there is actual rape in F/SN unlike Cross Ange]

1. There wasn't any rape in this episode.
2. They weren't objecting to the rape itself, they were objecting to the oversexualization of rape.
3. Don't come here if all you're going to do is troll the reviewers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
otakunomike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
The game F/SN has a rape in it, but its pretty well contained in the Heaven's Feel arc. There's implications of other abuse in Fate and UBW, but the anime versions so far have generally skirted around them or downplayed the situation (as the perpetrator is enough of jerk you don't need extra reasons to hate them)
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
I want to watch this, but do I have to watch Fate/Zero first? Or is this a prequel?

Fate/Zero is a prequel to Fate/Stay Night. In terms of the source material, Fate/Stay Night came first. You can start with this series or watch Fate/Zero first, either way is acceptable.

Also Hope no don't even joke about them mixing route elements. That's what DEEN did and it was a terrible idea.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
feuerwerke wrote:
Jayhosh wrote:

Fate/Zero is a prequel to Fate/Stay Night. In terms of the source material, Fate/Stay Night came first. You can start with this series or watch Fate/Zero first, either way is acceptable.

Also Hope no don't even joke about them mixing route elements. That's what DEEN did and it was a terrible idea.

well actually people outside of the type moon community didn't liked it. However if it wasnt for that version, some of those people who arent die hard fans of type moon including myself sure wouldnt have been a type moon lifer. Also you cant fault them for trying something new. Not to mention that most of us should be greatfull that DEEN even decided to do it considering that most of the time ero based visual novels and games are automatically given the h status. if things had been different, FSN would have ended up being a hentai OVA like other ero visual novels & games instead of a non-hentai TV series. However its true that most fans dont like it, those that are saber fans & illya fans do since the DEEN version was mostly based off of the fate route and that route was definitely kind to those two especially illyasviel unlike UBW and Heaven's Feel.

also the 1st OP for the DEEN version definitely had the best OP for that year and nobody cant dispute that fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
The moral of these reviews are that all objectivity seems lost in the eyes of a Type Moon fan.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:04 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
feuerwerke wrote:

well actually people outside of the type moon community didn't liked it. However if it wasnt for that version, some of those people who arent die hard fans of type moon including myself sure wouldnt have been a type moon lifer. Also you can't fault them for trying something new. Not to mention that most of us should be greatfull that DEEN even decided to do it considering that most of the time ero based visual novels and games are automatically given the h status. if things had been different, FSN would have ended up being a hentai OVA like other ero visual novels & games instead of a non-hentai TV series. However its true that most fans don't like it, those that are saber fans & illya fans do since the DEEN version was mostly based off of the fate route and that route was definitely kind to those two especially illyasviel unlike UBW and Heaven's Feel.

I guess I'm not qualified to say all that much about DEEN's adaptation of FSN, but after playing the VN and reading up on the 2006 anime… yeah, I can very much see where guys like feuerwerke are coming from. The routes are really pieced together in a way unique to the VN format, with different themes and characterizations and events occurring among them, so it'd have to be a very selective process for a very optimal route. Fortunately, with ufotable as the studio and Nasu/Type-Moon having such an involved role now, I'd think the new UBW-geared anime could achieve a smarter, more selective and higher quality mixture of elements from some other routes if they so chose to. Like, I personally think it'd be great if some elements of the Fate route carried over, particularly exposition on Saber's history and a more proper character resolution/send-off akin to "Continuation of Dream." (Spoilers if you look that up, obviously.) We probably don't need to worry too much about Heaven's Feel elements, though, since that whole route is getting a movie, if not a series a movies.

Speaking of Heaven's Feel… what are you talking about Ilya not being important in that route, jr0904? I'm fairly certain she's more important there than even in Fate-- there's a reasonn why HF is kind of thought as the Sakura/Ilya route.

Sunny milk wrote:
The moral of these reviews are that all objectivity seems lost in the eyes of a Type Moon fan.

Huh? Semantics are confusing me here-- are you implying that the reviewers are actually being objective and that fans are being dumb to complain about the lack of objectivity? Or that TM fans have difficulty being "objective?" Because, uh…. can't speak for everyone else, but for one, I don't think there's as clear or definite a standard for "objectivity" that both critics and critics of the critics can be held to, as you seem to be insinuating. Two, I don't believe the reviewers are really striving for "objectivity," at least as a sole central goal-- these are writers' own impressions after all, so subjectivity is naturally a part of the equation to what they write. (Though as the critiques are published on ANN, there are fair expectations of at least a 'relative' professionalism, which for many people may mean a more "balanced" and calm/collected approach to a work). And third, the FSN Preview Guide Impressions have been pretty positive so far! Not really much cause for widespread hyperventilation really, not yet anyway.

I do hope the next episode, with its focus on Shirou, will be given just as much a fair shake as the prologue seemed to be. Maybe this is primarily a response to tweets I've seen from some ani-twitter people than to the impressions written here (though there may be a hint of what I'm responding to in what Zac said about having reservations about Shirou)... but I'd like to not see impressions from what they've seen of the fan-translated VN, or impressions from others' impressions regarding said-VN, so-noticeably color the analytical content of whatever previews or reviews that come forward. Particularly when said-impressions may be at best based on a loose or incomplete consumption and comprehension of the source material they're touting as their knowledge base. Ultimately, if the VN is going to be brought up and exactly referenced, I would hope the references are based on more than some twitch videos of part of the VN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
feuerwerke wrote:

well actually people outside of the type moon community didn't liked it. However if it wasnt for that version, some of those people who arent die hard fans of type moon including myself sure wouldnt have been a type moon lifer. Also you can't fault them for trying something new. Not to mention that most of us should be greatfull that DEEN even decided to do it considering that most of the time ero based visual novels and games are automatically given the h status. if things had been different, FSN would have ended up being a hentai OVA like other ero visual novels & games instead of a non-hentai TV series. However its true that most fans don't like it, those that are saber fans & illya fans do since the DEEN version was mostly based off of the fate route and that route was definitely kind to those two especially illyasviel unlike UBW and Heaven's Feel.

I guess I'm not qualified to say all that much about DEEN's adaptation of FSN, but after playing the VN and reading up on the 2006 anime… yeah, I can very much see where guys like feuerwerke are coming from. The routes are really pieced together in a way unique to the VN format, with different themes and characterizations and events occurring among them, so it'd have to be a very selective process for a very optimal route. Fortunately, with ufotable as the studio and Nasu/Type-Moon having such an involved role now, I'd think the new UBW-geared anime could achieve a smarter, more selective and higher quality mixture of elements from some other routes if they so chose to. Like, I personally think it'd be great if some elements of the Fate route carried over, particularly exposition on Saber's history and a more proper character resolution/send-off akin to "Continuation of Dream." (Spoilers if you look that up, obviously.) We probably don't need to worry too much about Heaven's Feel elements, though, since that whole route is getting a movie, if not a series a movies.

Speaking of Heaven's Feel… what are you talking about Ilya not being important in that route, jr0904? I'm fairly certain she's more important there than even in Fate-- there's a reasonn why HF is kind of thought as the Sakura/Ilya route.

ah i think you need to see the comments again. for one thing just like UBW , heaven's feel is more concentrated on sakura and rider. illya only get a main part being involved with kotomine. other than that she's more involved in the ending i feel.

but regardless her fate in heaven's feel is the same as the UBW route which in a way some fans of illya outside of the hardcore type moon community dont like those two routes and prefer the fate route.

also its as i said.

you cant blame DEEN for trying something new by merging the three routes into one for their version.

and its a high chance type moon approved for the TV series to be as well so all the hate for deen is kinda not fair. was it executed properly? No.

though it was a decent adaptation nevertheless. Especially for those that were new to type moon back in 2006.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2