• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
Cielito_Lindo wrote:
Great review. I watched the anime first, remained confused for a while at the origins of the Titans until I managed to look past it and put my picky mind at rest - which is quite difficult and it got even worse when I read the manga.

I still can't get over spoiler[Reinner's casual reveal, because even though I had guessed it was them (their titan forms aren't that hard to identify if you have a brain) I was hoping for something a bit more climatic than "hey, you know what, we're both titans! and we were the ones that broke the wall that time your mum got eaten!" while we were focusing on something else. ]

Ha ha, actually, I loved how Isayama did that!! Smile Making this incredibly big reveal in small text in the background while something else is going on in the foreground -- I had to go back and reread those pages to make sure I wasn't just hallucinating it. Wink
Pipoko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Cielito_Lindo wrote:
Great review. I watched the anime first, remained confused for a while at the origins of the Titans until I managed to look past it and put my picky mind at rest - which is quite difficult and it got even worse when I read the manga.

I still can't get over spoiler[Reinner's casual reveal, because even though I had guessed it was them (their titan forms aren't that hard to identify if you have a brain) I was hoping for something a bit more climatic than "hey, you know what, we're both titans! and we were the ones that broke the wall that time your mum got eaten!" while we were focusing on something else. ]

Ha ha, actually, I loved how Isayama did that!! Smile Making this incredibly big reveal in small text in the background while something else is going on in the foreground -- I had to go back and reread those pages to make sure I wasn't just hallucinating it. Wink

It also ties together with the personality of said character, it seemed odd when you didn't know what the deal of that character was, but once that was explained, it made sense.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
This article is a great analysis of what makes Attack on Titan interesting and I agree with all of it.

I do have a problem when series drag out mysteries for far too long. It's no secret that humans are likely the ones who are creating Titans, and it bothers me that it is taking this long for anyone to gain important knowledge about the origin of titans. I haven't read the latest chapters yet, so if anyone knows, please tell me if they have finally entered Eren's basement, and if not...why not?

It's enjoyable seeing dynamic characters. The good guys are not all good and the bad guys aren't all bad. I got tired of watching/reading stories where "friendship" and "compassion" wins battles. Attack on Titan revitalized my interest in anime and gave me hope that more authors would write original manga that can become popular.

I don't agree with the above comments about the "twist" ruining the plot. That twist was delivered perfectly. The problem is the explanation for the twist is taking too long.

I'd say the twist is really where the story hooked me. The parallels to pretty much any modern zombie story were so obvious that it didn't leave much that seemed terribly unique. Monsters that exist just to kill, people sometimes being worse than said monsters, and making morally ambiguous sacrifices just to survive have been done in pretty much any zombie story. The idea that there is some sense of purpose behind it all is interesting to me.

That said, it is irritating that the story focuses more on adding to than resolving most mysteries. At some point you have to throw the audience a bone or two so they feel rewarded for sticking around.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Overall since I reached up to what the anime ended up on in the manga. I'm kinda glad there is some criticism for this series on this thread since everywhere I go I keep hearing, "OH, NEXT BERSERK/EVA/FMAB bu beetaaaaar!" With my point being I was once one of those people that got, "somewhat." Into the hype. And now out of it, I think it does not deserve all of the praise considering this reviewer says it does yet all the execution of the characters and story fall far back from being what this person says, "dynamic/engaging."

Some characters like Eren are mixed bags of emotions or personalities. Even in the manga with his interaction with Annie in boot camp compared to the anime, which we should have more of instead of a time skip. Its still minor on how its supposed to effect Eren, hesitating himself from just Titan smashing her ass. PLUS HE IS USELESS WITHOUT IT!

Plus about boot camp. MAKE A M.A.S.H AOT SEASON OUT OF IT!!!! YOU'LL HAVE MY MONEY! Evil or Very Mad

And for the opposite, Mikasa is so stiff compared to Eren's batshit personality switches that it just leaves questions to how in so many years she' still seems incestually attached to Eren? (EXAGGERATION!) She finds it a flaw yet she is not even trying to change it like Shinji.

Armin is still the most developed yet strongest out of the main 3. Even Eren and Mikasa say that if they just paraphrase it. He is not a wannabe pussy Guts like Eren, or a broken kuudere in disguise like Mikasa. His life after the wall was even more tragic than the two. He saw his loved ones leave and never come back. Yet he decided to join the army anyway.

So Armin, Jean, and Erwin are the REALL MAIN CHARACTERS IN THE STORY! Not these shallow case cakes.

And story wise, after the moment they decide to join the army is where the manga and even the anime went downhill. Even before the super sentai type crap that happens. We needed more boot camp scenes to flesh out the characters, we need to see them improve to be stronger. Which in the end would make the horror of the titans attacking again believably horrific when the new recruits fail.

spoiler[How do the titans that are not transforming humans have even the slightest intellect to wave their arms to grab people out of the sky when future implications say they were people too? Were they dumber humans?]

Mystery wise

abyss123 wrote:
but the latest chapter showed that Eren was a titan since he was young, and the entire story with Grisha reveal some big revelation, so him making the character come into a titan it wasn't bull,

That made it even more bull IMO. So did he wreck havoc like son goku in dragon ball Z? Was he sane? Does he remeber it? then how did he loose control after his teenage transformation yet he did not have the urges to eat a single human? More questions left alone.

Quote:
The origins of the titans.

Yes, thats what I wanted and what the manga/anime should have been. Humanity actually learning the secrets of the titans outside the walls with not bullshit titan powers. The goblin titans cant work unless in daylight, so just go out at dark. Yet the start of the anime and manga happend in a rainstorm where little to no light shinned.

ptolemy wrote:
I think it works just fine. It makes it more of a superhero/battle story as opposed to a pure zombie story, but that's fine.

It did'nt for me sadly. The poster and comic images we saw just show humans staring or fighting the titans, the mature route would have been to over blood, sweat an tears. With cunning strategys against all odds. Humans can kill the dangerous of beings. Like Bugs Life, but with Berserk content in storytelling. But nope!

For anyone who says it would not be possible with its premise, a president in a wheel chair for a Michael Bay movie once said, "Don't tell me, "It cant be done!""

Were talking about changes to an already decent over the top popcorn series. And my brilliant ideas would lead the way to making it an honest HQ hyped show.

An hell, change the shifting concept into were the humans merge/dive with titan bodies.

ptolemy18 wrote:
Ha ha, actually, I loved how Isayama did that!! Smile Making this incredibly big reveal in small text in the background while something else is going on in the foreground

Really? There are two ways of making a reveal.
-The kind where its built up and foreshadowed.
-And the other where its just breifly mentioned out of the blue with no build up at all.

The later is the weakest link IMO. Plus that hair, honest to god people. Just look at the hair, they would have half the army under them before they could transform if the cast was'nt so stupid Anime hyper

Personality does not excuse it either when he was open to the team during missions, vocal even. And even he as a character had major things to say. Wasn't like silent and predictable Annie.

HeroicRebellion wrote:
spoiler[none other than Bertholdt Fubar, Eren's former comrade who preferred to be in the background]

AKA: spoiler[Preferred to be in the background because he was a thrown in character to be the poster boy as the collosal titan. Not clever foreshadowing, like Eren transforming. Yet Annie's was forsadowed with just her hair color, eyes and design. How shocking is that when 99% of the veiwerbase can see that before the big reveal?]

VashFanatic wrote:
spoiler[undercuts the idea that his transformation somehow evens the playing field. Indeed, the strategically-thinking soldiers are still the best resource they have. I admit that this may all change in upcoming chapters if Eren does master his transformation,]

spoiler[Then what was the point of humanity hyping it up to be an Ace card? When the cities reaction against Eren was in fact the formidable choice. He just recently transformed. Yet when new to his powers, he did not eat a single human being when on rampage. Yet when he is sane, he was about to eat Mikasa. But his way to control it was to think about beating the titans. Then what was the point of him being uncouncious yet councious to fight titans but uncounciously not eat people? And now he somehow can control titans like the human titan shifters. So what THEY did was not in understanding the titans as a titans themselves like Sasha was implying when considering Annie's howl was like a Wolf signal. It was just a power up. More reason she is pissed scared over a midget stoner Levi.]

Overall, I love this and hate this at the same time. I can give criticism, but I can only give minor praise with a small list of characters and early story. But terrible logic of society, bad forsadowing with little to none at all, terrible tactics, and a slap in the face of what it was advertised as.

The trailers were all action with giants while DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF POWER IN THE BACKGROUND! An Immediate trailer song like Berserk Advents trailer. Your giving a different impression from what the show turns into.

At least Cross Ange seems honest with whats its going to be, but they are starting the story in how it happend.

A Show that is universally hated after 1 episode seems to have a more great and honest startup Than the title that is universally loved blindly!?

But back to Manga's

ONCE AGAIN BERSERK WAS HONEST TOO! I hate bringing that series up, but its sad but true. The tension of the titans and how they seem like an impossible foe to conqure. The 3 character trio, and the theme of vengence is just so blantant to Berserk IMO. Its a series done right where AOT is done wrong except for its action. And artstyle too Anime hyper

Just my LOOOOOONNNNNG two cents! Rolling Eyes
Twage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Quote:
And mysteries; the other great thing is the mysteries.

The mysteries are what killed it for me. I realized Isayama is just content to build the current mysteries and introduce new ones while never giving answers.

Isayama has said that there will be no more new mysteries about the Titans, and from here on out it's all answers. Not that you're required to believe him.

Quote:
Lastly, and this is a minor gripe, but am I the only one who found it completely ridiculous that a character actually says "Oh, I didn't know Pastor Nick was a priest!" at one point?

Where's that? I don't recall that line. Is that from a scanlation?
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I typically hate zombie stories, both because the authors keep hammering in the message that humans are savages who will crack under the slightest and pressure and because people in those stories always make incredibly stupid decisions, both to make lumbering corpses a threat and to maintain the "humans are bastards" message. In Attack on Titan, the titans are actually a believable threat to humans, but there's still the problem where the governments act completely unrealistically given what they have to face. The story says, "No seriously, this is way more realistic than nations putting aside their differences", but my opinion of humanity is too positive to buy that for a second. Granted, it's impossible to tell which is more "realistic", given that humankind hasn't really faced an immediate threat to its survival.
HinduBeefStew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
Haven't read the manga, but I'm slowly getting through with season 1 of the anime, and I gotta say, there are really hardly any likable characters!

Now, that doesn't mean that I am not enjoying the series. Actually, I think (and I haven't seen many war stories with teens) that the characters handle the PTSD somewhat realistically. At least they've touched upon the aftermath of death, like what do you do with all the dead bodies? Usually that is never shown, but at least in the anime they show the funeral pyres, and Jean holding a small bone thinking that he doesn't even know where his friend is anymore, was pretty poignant.

Muv Luv alternative deals with this sort of Teenager-PTSD war story thing, and now that I mentioned it, MLA is one of the inspirations for AoT
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
GVman wrote:
Quote:
And mysteries; the other great thing is the mysteries.

The mysteries are what killed it for me. I realized Isayama is just content to build the current mysteries and introduce new ones while never giving answers.

Isayama has said that there will be no more new mysteries about the Titans, and from here on out it's all answers. Not that you're required to believe him.

Quote:
Lastly, and this is a minor gripe, but am I the only one who found it completely ridiculous that a character actually says "Oh, I didn't know Pastor Nick was a priest!" at one point?

Where's that? I don't recall that line. Is that from a scanlation?

We'll see. I hope he's telling the truth.

Yeah, it was a scanlation. I'm hoping it was just a screw-up. spoiler[It's from when Pastor Nick is tortured to death by some guys, and in order to gather info she acts like she had no idea he was a priest when talking to the two guys whodunit.]
Twage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
We'll see. I hope he's telling the truth.

Yeah, it was a scanlation. I'm hoping it was just a screw-up. spoiler[It's from when Pastor Nick is tortured to death by some guys, and in order to gather info she acts like she had no idea he was a priest when talking to the two guys whodunit.]

It is a screw-up. As the editor of the English edition, I can tell you that mistake is not in the official version.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's nice to know. Thank you very much.
HeroicRebellion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, remember when Mikasa was noted as the only Asian?

spoiler[well good news, that's officially a plot point now!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3