• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I actually feel kind of sorry for Shinji. I mean, the poor guy's had it rough in life. I know a lot of people don't like him ('cause he's not a self-insert WHO SAID THAT), and I've heard that the show takes a nosedive in the final third, but c'mon guys! I think it's understandable that Shinji be scared, and I did find him brave for putting up with the job, even though he runs away next episode.

I always found Shinji to be one of the best written characters in anime, along with other Evangelion characters. I never understood why he got so much hate, I find him fascinating and touching and would take him over the standard shonen hero any day. That being said, I did feel like slapping him once in a while when watching the show in English. Not to open up a dub vs. sub debate here, but he feels a lot more sensitive, honestly broken, and, from time to time, wonderfully, awkwardly funny in Japanese. I even prefer the German Shinji over the English one, and that's saying something.

Cool program you have going there, from Bebop to Princess Tutu, nice. I already feel like watching Tutu again just by seeing someone mentioning the characters' names. That sweet little show dug it's way into my heart and built itself a little nest there. Time to visit again soon.

I watched the Rurouni Kenshin live action movie yesterday and found it to be highly entertaining. Full of beautiful people, beautifully edited fights, a very good experience.

Fan-entitlement. People don't like Shinji because he cries a lot, therefore he is a wimp who deserves only scorn. Yeah, the world has kinda sucked lately, and people are looking for some self-insert escapist entertainment. People want Shinji to be something he isn't. As a result, they swing hatred at him because WHY CAN'T WE, UM, YOU BE AWESOME.

Really, I feel awful for him right now. I think it's the way he repeats "I mustn't run away" that gets me because he looks so...empty. Even worse, I heard that the last third of the show ends up de-railing everyone into the same navel-gazing shell. Please don't let that be true! I don't want Shinji to become a mouthpiece for confused philosophies! Sad
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
I find the ending of the show to be empowering, of some sort. (I'm weird that way, though.) The movie is a different story. Not to be watched in a fragile state of mind. Cool that it's your first time.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Fan-entitlement. People don't like Shinji because he cries a lot, therefore he is a wimp who deserves only scorn. Yeah, the world has kinda sucked lately, and people are looking for some self-insert escapist entertainment. People want Shinji to be something he isn't. As a result, they swing hatred at him because WHY CAN'T WE, UM, YOU BE AWESOME.

World has sucked always so there always has been a need for escapism. The problem with Shinji is that he is cast in a heroic role. The typical setup of a super robot (including Eva) show is inherently escapist. The pilot just needs to jump inside the cockpit and kick ass. Obviously there are going to be crises of faith and other difficulties, but they are there to be overcome. In NGE people are however coaxed into watching how this whiny character doesn't really change (which is not true, but many don't notice that) despite there seemingly being all the ingredients. I think for a number of people complaining about Shinji simply means that they identify with him, yet resist associating the self-esteem issues he has with themselves. And it's quite healthy, because otherwise you're just bringing yourself down.

Quote:
Even worse, I heard that the last third of the show ends up de-railing everyone into the same navel-gazing shell. Please don't let that be true! I don't want Shinji to become a mouthpiece for confused philosophies!

It's more confused psychologies and Shinji is not a mouthpiece for that. If you find it hard to tolerate that navel-gazing, try think of it as an artist looking for answers to questions that torture his mind.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I like this blog post on Anno talking about Evangelion: http://loopingworld.com/2013/04/27/evangelion-artistic-tension/
Shinji basically was Anno, who was suffering from depression while making the show.

I am currently watching:

Oreimo - Very interesting stuff. I strongly identify with Kirino's character and her problems because I also too don't talk about most of my hobbies with my co-workers and specially regarding manga and anime (there was even a time when I turned down going out with them on a Friday night because I wanted to marathon Psycho-Pass during the weekend but of course I only said that I was feeling tired). I also liked her character design so much that I put it as my new avatar.

Mobile Suit Gundam - I watched the film compilation of this classic over the weekend. Great stuff, an absolute classic for good reason as it tells an amazing science fiction story that is both realistic and fantastic with incredible poignancy. The animation and mecha designs from 1979 are quite cr*ppy if compared to the modern stuff, the mecha in particular look like stuff from children's cartoons even though this film compilation felt like a WW2 movie set in space. Atmosphere of this is quite similar to Starblazers 2199, the remake of another 1970's classic.

Future Diary - Very thrilling stuff. Pretty lacking in substance but more entertaining than almost anything I have been watching recently. Weird, Reisuke is supposed to be male but aren't those girl's clothes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
^ Yeah, Future Diary is one of my biggest guilty pleasures in all of anime. Even though it's a HUGE piece of crap when you really start to think about it (what prompted me was Hope's review and watching the abridged series), I just cannot hate that show. It's just so stupid and over-the-top ridiculous that it goes right back to entertaining. It's kind of like if Michael Bay directed The Hunger Games.

And yes, Reisuke is a boy. We see him nude in Episode Seven. Definitely a boy.

P.S. I think I'll watch Berserk after I finish up with Attack on Titan. I heard they're similar in tone and setup. Hmm...
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I think I'll watch Berserk after I finish up with Attack on Titan. I heard they're similar in tone and setup. Hmm...

The only thing they're really similar in is bloodiness (actually Berserk is bloodier) and the fact that you wouldn't want to live in those worlds. And maybe them being dark fantasy if you consider Attack of Titan as such.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I just started watching Kimagure Orange Road TV for the third time. It was actually the first non-mecha anime series that I enjoyed and the one responsible for my branching out to other anime genres. One of the attractions of this show for me is the fact that the characters are my age, making them pretty easy to identify with (other than the fact that the main character and his sisters had psychic powers).

A few years ago I actually had the pleasure of being able to talk to Izumi Matsumoto, the creator of the original manga.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I finished Soul Eater and Michiko and Hatchin a while ago. While I liked the first a lot, (and I do plan on rewatching it), I just thought the latter was decent. Why? Well, towards the end, it got kind of sloppy in terms of plot. I like it, but I don't LURV it.

I liked Michiko e Hatchin a lot. It felt very 'vivid' to me and I appreciated following the intimate portrait of a woman and a girl in a sort of backwards maternal relationship on a journey. I think that by the end it had convicted me to lie back and relax along the ride, so any jumps, hiccoughs and bumps in story didn't matter, but I certainly noticed that it left a few things hanging out of its suitcase by the end.

I recommend that you watch Sayo Yamamoto's next series, Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~. It has some thematic kinship with Michiko e Hatchin and shares a music producer in Cowboy Bebop director Shinichirō Watanabe, but has an audacious, distinctive aesthetic and holds its story together more tightly. The ending might seem strange or like a trick, but I consider to be in fact a very cleverly aimed sucker punch at audience preconceptions. You need not be acquainted with the Lupin III franchise to enjoy or understand it; for some prior acquaintance seemed to be an impediment to both.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Cowboy Bebop:
Last Stopped: Bohemian Rhapsody

So, I saw "Jupiter Jazz". Long story short, Gren's story was awesome, and I cried buckets at the end. Coincidentally, I almost lost it at the end of this episode, too. This show is so good guys. I love everything! Edward is the best character, though. She's too cute for words, and really awesome, too.

Phew, I'm halfway done with this series. I'll update at the end of this post about what shows I plan on watching next. I love everything on Cowboy Bebop!

I adore Cowboy Bebop. I first saw it when I was in high school and it's probably why I'm here now and why I have that pile of jazz albums on the shelf.

I've always gathered that "Jupiter Jazz" is an underappreciated episode, probably because of its low-key, melancholy tone and lack of an obvious 'COOL' hook, but I liked it for that. The episode that always made my eyes flow out water, however, was "Waltz for Venus". The ending to that always at the very least makes me choke up.

If you're about the watch the second half of the series for the first time, you'll be getting some real treats, especially for the supporting cast. In particular, look forward to "Black Dog Serenade", which has a great film noire feel and puts Jet to the fore, which perhaps resonates more with me because he's my favorite.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Princess Tutu:
Last Stopped: Episode Six!

I love the themes and questions this show poses. Is Duck doing the right thing by giving Mytho his emotions back? Does she really know who he is, despite being destined to be in love with him? Will Fakir ever stop being a total d****bag? All that and more may or may not be answered in the next act of Princess Tutu!

You forgot: "Will Mr. Cat ever make somebody marry him?"

Another favorite of mine. You get a biscuit.

I think that the second act will satisfy your desires and curiosities. Fakir, in particular, will go some places. It's a very rewarding series to think about and try to interpret. (Even if one's thoughts aren't especially clever)

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Cowboy Bebop: Trigun~

Ah, the old Adult Swim one-two. Trigun is really entertaining and surprisingly cool. If you've liked Cowboy Bebop, you will enjoy it.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Neon Genesis Evangelion: GURREN LAGANN!

I... found Gurren Lagann frustrating and difficult to watch, but I see how one could enjoy it and all the cool kids seem to dig it.

Make sure to watch Kill La Kill some time soon. It's tonally similar, but even cooler. (And I loved it)

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Princess Tutu: Haibane Renmei

Excellent choice and good sequence. Haibane Renmei is a beautiful series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
virgilandmachiavelli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Sorry, we don't allow advertising or solicitations for personal projects or endeavors. If you'd like to actually discuss the anime with community, then please do so. Otherwise, using these forums as a pedestal for something outside of what's written in the rules is frowned upon. Good luck. -TK]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm finishing up Linebarrel tomorrow and am watching episode 21 as I write this.

After I finish episode 22 tonight, I'm done watching Eng. dubs for today since I did a marathon of 20 dubbed episodes today (I watch dubs by watching them in episode halves that I simultaneously watch and this I watch mos subbed and dubbed anime). This marathon included watching all of Ga-Rei Zero and 22 of 26 Linebarrel episodes.

I hope to go to Saboten Con so that I can tell Alexis Tipton that of the shows that I've seen her play an important character in, I feel that her best role and my fave character of hers was Musubi. So, I'm doing a marathon of various shows she's been in.
Treiz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching my new Maoyu Bluray disc. Great show all around, it's a shame that it isn't dubbed. I'm going to have to look into the light novels at it seems there's more story that once again the show ended before telling. Mad

Next up is my Attack on Titan discs, followed by Ranma 1/2 set 2 and then Golden Time when it hits in September. Would love to revisit My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU but no bluray release announced yet. Mad
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:09 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
^ Yeah, Future Diary is one of my biggest guilty pleasures in all of anime. Even though it's a HUGE piece of crap when you really start to think about it (what prompted me was Hope's review and watching the abridged series), I just cannot hate that show. It's just so stupid and over-the-top ridiculous that it goes right back to entertaining. It's kind of like if Michael Bay directed The Hunger Games.

And here I thought Future Diary was about if the sophist was correct - provided he duked it out with 11 other sophists first just to be sure {think about it...}. And then, when the only one in the universe who matters wins, he spoiler[ended up being the only one left in the universe]. Ha!

Like strangers with candy, I advise staying away from reviewers on this site because you never know what they don't know. Example from the Future Diary review you so esteem:

Quote:
It's unusual for a TV show to have content unsuitable for the age of its own main character, but therein lies one of the most shocking aspects of Future Diary: its lead characters are in middle school, not high school like in so many other anime.

You know, even Heaven's Lost Property is set in middle school and that one's hardly a paragon of virtue {Don't get me started on the Ping Pong Club}. And this is just the opening paragraph.

Wow, it's almost as if Hope set up her own worldview and then changed everything else to support it - 1 Kind of like the show {point went whizzing over her head} and 2 *Attack on Titan*.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
^ Wow. Hope has an opinion you do not have. Clearly, she is a bad reviewer.

(I think she has a good idea what she's talking about. I might not agree with her on everything, but I still respect her as a reviewer.)

Now to address Surrender Artist's post.

I was told that Fujiko Mine was really good! I'm actually planning on seeing Castle of Cagliostro first, though.

Cowboy Bebop is amazing! I'm glad you liked it too!

This is my second time watching Princess Tutu! Wow, I forgot how good this show was. Duck's so adorable.

I actually tried to watch Trigun, Haibane Renmei, and Gurren Lagann before, but I couldn't get past the first episodes because I am awful at committing to a show. I really wanted to watch all three because I heard very positive things. And yes, Kill la Kill is next after I finish Gurren Lagann!
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
^Try avoiding spoilers for Gurren Lagann and Trigun as much as you can. You really don't want to know certain things in advance there. Trigun's in my top 3, I'm quite envious of you for being able to watch it for the first time. Have fun.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
Knoepfchen wrote:
^Try avoiding spoilers for Gurren Lagann and Trigun as much as you can. You really don't want to know certain things in advance there. Trigun's in my top 3, I'm quite envious of you for being able to watch it for the first time. Have fun.

Unfortunately, due to the very nature of the internet, I have had several anime series spoiled for me. Fortunately, I do not care about spoilers. Hell, I knew pretty much every plot twist of Madoka Magica before I watched it, and that's one of my favorite anime of all time. I won't be watching Gurren Lagann until after I've seen End of EVA, and that won't be for a long while...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 814 of 1061