• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I'm not sure if you'll regret it, but I sure did (I saw the series). A very emotionally manipulative show. But some people enjoy that sort of thing.

Oh he doesn't know what he's talking about. Don't listen to him. It's not manipulative. It's a tragic series but a very beautiful and surreal one. The visuals are stunning and the themes are quite unique. All the characters are really cute. Bring tissues....unless you don't cry easily; then you have nothing to worry about.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

I'm not sure if you'll regret it, but I sure did (I saw the series). A very emotionally manipulative show. But some people enjoy that sort of thing.

Oh he doesn't know what he's talking about. Don't listen to him. It's not manipulative. It's a tragic series but a very beautiful and surreal one. The visuals are stunning and the themes are quite unique. All the characters are really cute. Bring tissues....unless you don't cry easily; then you have nothing to worry about.

Oh yeah I love that kind of stuff. I think I might watch it over the next couple of weeks.

Right now I watched:

When Marnie was There (2014), beautiful Ghibli film as usual with great psychological depth this time. Also, I watched the curious but not quite great Shimbo OVA , Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (2008) pretty funny on some moments very dull on other ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WickedHate

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna be watching some OVAs over the next few days before tackling Kino's Journey and The Big O. The Big O was on Toonami when I was a kid, but I never watched it because it seemed "adult" and it intimidated kid me. I also felt that way about Cyborg 009 and YuYu Hakusho, two of my favorite shows ever, but I ended up watching them as a child anyway(in the case of YYH, because mom had gotten me a DVD of it mistaking it for Yu Gi Oh).

Last edited by WickedHate on Sun May 24, 2015 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Talking about OVAs, I am watching:

Agent Aika (1997)
Camp classic of erotic animation. Some people said that most anime focus is on erotica, that's obviously not true if you compare to genuinely erotic stuff such as Aika. Now that's almost abusive. But it has its charms.

Starship Troopers (1988)

Starship Troopers is the first "cinematic" adaptation of the science fiction classic novel by Heinlein. The animation was horrid but it stays true to it's source unlike a certain hollywood product.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Hi everyone! I'm here to write my final thoughts on Fate stay night 2006! What did I think of the first adaptation of the hit visual novel? Well...

I have very mixed feelings.

Let's get the best stuff out of the way. The soundtrack is effing amazing, and is easily the best part of the show. I loved Kenji Kawai's work, and I want to own the OST so badly. In fact, if there was a way for me to edit out the dialogue and sound effects, I would do that. That's how good the soundtrack was!

I liked some of the characters. Saber was a badass with her own goals, and Rin really needed to be the main character of this story. Shinji I loved to hate, though that was mostly because his dub actor knew he was playing a total a-hole and ran with it.

Some of these ideas were pretty good. The premise is effing cool, and the themes of what it means to be a hero interests me. I thought there was plenty of potential with this story. Which leads me into the BAD stuff, because oh boy. There was plenty.

Let's start with rest of the cast. Shirou is an idiot. The story intended for him to be naïve, and instead wrote him as too stupid to live. Fujimura is annoying as hell, and she has no point. Same with Sakura Matou, who is a personality-less waifu with no characterization outside of Shirou. The rest of the characters were either incredibly bland (Kuzuki, most of the Servants) or underused (Illya, Lancer).

The story was too focused on Shirou and his story. Yes, I know this was adapted from a visual novel, but it shouldn't be obvious. I wanted to see more of the war, not just Shirou and Saber's side. Wouldn't it have been awesome to have an episode centered on Rin and Archer? Also, the episodes are structured really badly. Many battles end halfway through an episode when they should have been the ending of the episode.

Now let's get to the sexism and homophobia. Because yes, not only do I think Kinoko Nasu is extremely sexist (you only need to see Episode Eighteen), but incredibly bigoted against LGBT individuals. Let me explain. All but one of the Master/Servant pairings are female and male. Given the sexual subtext (or actual text in the case of the visual novels) between the Masters and Servants, and the fact that the ONLY same sex pairing seen is Teh Ebols...

UM.

Well, that was one anime to watch once then never again. Time to reward myself with some Urobuchi tragedy! Because he can write. \Anime exclamation/
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
^ I don't like this anime at all, and I agree it's sexist (I don't remember what happened in that 18th episode, but yes, there's ton of things during it), but the criticism towards LGTB is pretty weak and forced tbh. The sexual subtext was only in the laughably awful scene between fighting Berserker (which is screaming "YES THIS IS THE SEX SCENE FROM THE VN BUT WE CAN'T SHOW IT BUT LOOK IT'S HERE"), but it's only reserved for them as an extreme and urgent way to restore mana and put the sex scene somewhere, there is no indication or hints that other masters and servants do something remotely similar, they do it the traditional way of stealing other people's energy (if it happened the real creepiness would come from Illya and Berserker, and that's not happening). Geez, many of the characters don't even have that much of a relationship with their masters/servants, so that's trying to stretch criticism to a whooole new level. I've heard rants about this show of any kind, but this is new.

I also liked the OST (it takes a little too protagonism and sounds kind of videogamey but I like the instruments and ambient it creates), and I adore the 1st opening. Also, it's not boring and too full of eternal slow monologues (TAKE THAT UBW). But the ideas are not even interesting in this particular show, Shirou is unexplainable naive (in other adaptations it's more clear why, but in this one he's an annoying uni-dimensional guy) and it's never properly challenged (say what you will about how well or wrong this current anime treats the themes, but at least it tries a little harder than that) other than his horrible "b-but you're a girl!!", and from the second half any other character but him and Saber are completely underdeveloped, being Rin, Archer and Illya the worst. I know it's just adapting one route, but an anime should stand-out of its own.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
^ Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the visual novel at all. (And after what went down in the anime, I really don't want to.) I could be wrong, but I thought that mana transfer in the visual novel was either blood based or through sex. Also, the CGI dragon was hilariously awful. Laughing

I look forward to seeing the imaginary-or-not off-screen gay sex in Fate zero. (You know who I mean, wink wink.)

Oh, and in regards to Episode Eighteen, spoiler[it's the one with Brainwashed!Sakura in fetish gear because potatoes.]
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
^ Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the visual novel at all. (And after what went down in the anime, I really don't want to.) I could be wrong, but I thought that mana transfer in the visual novel was either blood based or through sex. Also, the CGI dragon was hilariously awful. Laughing

I look forward to seeing the imaginary-or-not off-screen gay sex in Fate zero. (You know who I mean, wink wink.)

Oh, and in regards to Episode Eighteen, spoiler[it's the one with Brainwashed!Sakura in fetish gear because potatoes.]

Eh, I know what you mean, but I'm not 100% sure if Nasu realized that he was being so sexist (hey, it's a different culture with different values). I agree that the sex scenes and Shirou's behavior towards Saber in the Fate path are sexist, as well as Saber's angst about have too much muscle (which is BS, since she has no more muscle than Rin or Sakura) are sexist. However, while you could argue sexism due to Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night's sex scenes, there's also the fact that if you remove the sex scenes and look only at UBW and Heaven's Feel, Nasu isn't treating the women too much like objects as much as characters. One of his first works, The Garden of Sinners, leaves no real room to argue sexism.

I dunno. Maybe he's a little sexist, but I personally think that he outgrew it, as the more recent Nasu adaptations seem to play down those aspects.

On another note, Ufotable adapted most Nasu related work. Does anyone think that they might create their own Tsukihime anime?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Leviathan The Last Defense. While the show isn't a "showstopper," per se, I enjoyed its light moments...like how Syrup gets frustrated when she's addressed as "Syrupy." Anime smile If Leviathan The Last Defense were to get another season, I would be satisfied to watch it.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
On the Chimera Ant arc of Hunter x Hunter. I've gotta say, I think they pushed it a little with the dark cruelty. Seeing those naked humans on leashes being abused and killed for no reason was... really pushing it. This is still a kids show. It's not like that added any depth. It was just there to make the villains look more evil.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Camp classic of erotic animation.

I saw that as comedic comedy myself.

Edit: Meant to say comedic action. Laughing

Last edited by DuelGundam2099 on Wed May 27, 2015 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
@Duelgundam,

Its really funny. Finished watching Aika (1997) now, its easily 8/10 stuff, among the best comedies I ever watched. Too bad they make so little of these OVAs these days.

Also watching Magical Girl Pretty Sammy (1995-1997) OVA satire of magical girl genre. Let's see if its as fun as Aika I don't think IG will.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished up watching To Heart. It was a show that I felt that I could relax to with its light nature and romantic moments. It's shame that the other two seasons of this show were never picked up. Sad
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
All but one of the Master/Servant pairings are female and male.

Um.......so what?

Rolling Eyes

People die when they are killed. Laughing
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
^ HA! Laughing

In all seriousness, though, it's just a weird thing I noticed. I also looked up the roster for Zero, and apparently, with the exception of Kiritsugu/Saber, all the Master/Servant pairings are same sex male.

Tee hee...gay sex.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 853 of 1060