• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
louis6578--

I found myself put off by the fact that no explanation is provided for the organization's (Noir) existence.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Earlier today I finished Moribito, some slow pacing (as in this could have been half the episode length) aside I thought it was actually quite solid. The music has grown on me and the action scenes were very nicely done albeit rarely ever happened. I do wish that the fantasy aspects would be used more every now and then. As for other things I am watching the following are all at episode 7:

-Okaim-san and Her Seven Companions: If this is supposed to be fairy tale based then I am not seeing the allusions in the vast majority of these episodes. My only real issues with this series is that the narrator talks over dialogue and I'm one of the few people that likes narration. Pretty decent overall though, gotta commend it for the lack of fan service.

-Love Bullet: Never thought I'd find a more pretentious anime than Kill la Kill this soon, but I have been wrong before. If it wasn't for the decent pacing I'd easily consider giving this a 1/10, everything is so annoying and there is a huge question I know they won't address: Where are the male humans? Don't even say "well this takes place in a boarding school", Ginko's war flashback had her only fighting female soldiers. Not to mention Kureha was said to have a dad, what happened to him? This is a problem with the "show don't tell" nonsense Channel Awesome critics tend to force down throats, sometimes visuals are not enough, sometimes you do need dialogue be it for depth or figuring out what is going on. Sometimes you genuinely have to tell your audience basic things and sometimes you can't be subtle, too much of it comes across as either lazy or convoluted. Another huge problem is scene transitioning, for no reason they completely replay the courtroom scene from the first episode when nothing was done to set it up. Even Utena and Penguindrum accomplished that! I hate to break it to you critics but that doesn't make something artsy or deep, that is stupid.

-Noein: Hey these scenes involving the setting in the future are quite nice! Unfortunately we have too many scenes involving children gibbering (and this is classified as a slice of life anime, just great). It is one of those nice ideas with sloppy execution. I'll talk more about this when there is something worth talking about.

-Appleseed XIII: Started this on Sunday and it has been in my backlog for a while. The CG is nothing to write home about, but so far writing wise it is good and it has plenty of action. My main complaint is that the episodes are based on the twelve herculean (should be heraclean since, you know, Heracles and all) and the missions in each ep are so vague you can barely tell what things are supposed to represent. Normally I don't look into nonsense like that, but in-universe they actually have statues for each of the twelve labors they constantly cut to.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Normally I don't look into nonsense like that, but in-universe they actually have statues for each of the twelve labors they constantly cut to.

Someone almost certainly wasted spent a lot of time and money on those statues, and the producer probably demanded that they be featured as much as possible to get his money's worth.

I wouldn't read too much into them, is what I'm saying.
Night fox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Never thought I'd find a more pretentious anime than Kill la Kill this soon, but I have been wrong before.

Kill la Kill is a pretentious anime?

I only saw five eps of the show, and that was over a year ago, but isn't Kill la Kill a parody that makes fun of certain genres and laughs at its own absurdity? Besides, the anime itself can't be held responsible for the actions of the writers and directors. Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Kill la Kill is many things....but pretentious isn't one of them. Anime hyper
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching the first 11 episodes of Blood Blockade Battlefront. Really fun series. Characters are likeable and the plot shifts from very comedic in the beginning to a more serious plot by the end. Art is very good, specially the amazing backgrounds of art deco style architecture from mid 20th century New York. One problem I had with it were too many silly supernatural stuff mixed in some cases (IMO, suspense of disbelief was challenged a little bit at some points).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Quote:
I only saw five eps of the show

That explains everything.
Quote:
a parody that makes fun of certain genres and laughs at its own absurdity?

If anything was being parodied I did not see it. I did remember seeing horrendous animation and music with an obnoxious cast and samurai guy being such a sore loser he acted like he was blind even though he performed actions you couldn't accomplish with hearing alone.
Quote:
I wouldn't read too much into them, is what I'm saying.

I rarely ever do that with any form of fiction.
Night fox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I only saw five eps of the show

That explains everything.

I had no idea that the series underwent such a drastic change after the first five episodes. Around which episode would you say it becomes pretentious then?
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
samurai guy being such a sore loser he acted like he was blind even though he performed actions you couldn't accomplish with hearing alone.
spoiler[He sewed his eyes shut with life fibers]. That's not generic "I'm now blind".
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Around which episode would you say it becomes pretentious then?

Technically it starts when samurai guy decides to sew up his eyes, but it doesn't go full force until Satsuki's mom shows up. Not telling you which ep, you'll just have to pick it up again and see for yourself. Wink
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
^ Aaaaaaand you've proved once again that while you really like the word "pretentious", (as you've used it incorrectly once when describing Drosselmeyer from Tutu) you have no clue what it actually means. The word you want is "silly", or in your case, "stupid". Kill la Kill is not a pretentious show. It is way too in-your-face and over the top to be so.

Grammar otaku, away! *zoom*
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the 3rd season of UtaPri and I thought it was better than the second season. But there are so many guys now that you could practically hear the writers going, "Okay, how can we give screen time to the new guys, but have the original 7 be able to have lines in every episode?"

Oh, and Norio Wakamoto was awesome as always.

I also just started watching DanMachi, but I haven't seen enough to make a solid opinion yet.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I have spent this sunset watching Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolesence of Utena. I enjoyed the movie way more than I did the TV show. That moment of Anthy driving Utena on the raceway was an epic sight! Smile
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
@ Mr. Oshawott, that's a great movie indeed. I think one appreciates Utena and Ikuhara in general the more one watches it/his work.

I am currently watching Noir and Nanoha Vivid (since I am at episode 3 so far I wouldn't coment on the thread about it). Noir so far is pretty good but I only began watching it, but I have high expectations about it. Nanoha Vivid is like the other Nanoha's stuff which I find very entertaining and cute. They are pretty interesting artifacts of otaku culture incorporating stuff that appears to come from videogames and other stuff. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
@ Mr. Oshawott, that's a great movie indeed. I think one appreciates Utena and Ikuhara in general the more one watches it/his work.

Oh yes, the differing relations and duels between the characters in the TV show of RGU were fantastic to see in action! Smile I just wish the first third of the English version wasn't so much of a train wreck...

Quote:
Noir so far is pretty good but I only began watching it, but I have high expectations about it.

As someone who has watched Noir, the mysterious, dark tone of the show has what made it so great in my perspective, so I think you might enjoy this show quite well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 861 of 1062