• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott & Jose Cruz--

I thought that Noir was OK. What I didn't care for was a lack of explanation as to what the organization was all about.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
^
Ah...The Organization...The story's very little mentioning of it did leave me a bit curious as to who it was, how it was formed, and what purpose it had for existing. I think Noir would've been better had the story showcased its history.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
So, before anyone says anything, yes, I am aware that the InuYasha films are self-contained, non-canon stories that do not necessarily respect the plot of the series proper, nor do they have any true significance to it. But, for those of you who are like me, own the entire series, and take a (perhaps overly) structured approach to watching things, you might have done that Google search at some point:

Code:
inuyasha where do the movies fit in

Doing this, you might stumble across this:

Furinkan wrote:
Episodes 1 - 54
Movie 1
Episodes 55 - 95
Movie 2
Episodes 96 - 136
Movie 3
Episodes 137 - 167
Movie 4

Based on this source (and possibly others).

All that is, really, is the release timeline of said films in relation to that of the series, rather than an actual chronological guide. Affections Touching Across Time is fine where it is; spoiler[Sesshōmaru doesn't have Tokijin] for some reason, but it really can't occur any earlier because spoiler[InuYasha has already mastered the backlash wave]. It's not a terribly huge continuity issue, since spoiler[Sesshōmaru has no significant role in the film anyway].

Castle Beyond the Looking Glass occurring between episodes 95 and 96 is more problematic, however, because spoiler[Naraku appears at the beginning and end of the film, coming into conflict with InuYasha and the rest of the main cast in both instances]. Episodes 95 and 96 occur right in the middle of the period in series proper wherein spoiler[Naraku has retreated and vanished towards the northeastern lands without so much of a trace of his scent, aura, &c., after episode 81. He, his daemon puppets, and incarnations are not encountered again until episode 111, after Bankotsu has already been introduced and retrieved his Banryū.]

Realising this, I went backwards, and I found that the only real, sensible place to put this movie is after episode 77, just following the spoiler[invasion of the Panther Tribe from the western lands], but before episode 80, when spoiler[Naraku abducts Rin]. By then, InuYasha spoiler[has already attained the red Tessaiga (which he uses in the film), but hasn't yet chased Naraku into the northeastern lands].

Many of you are probably thinking, "Gatherum, who gives a shit? You said yourself that the films are self-contained stories that don't mesh with, or really even fall in to, the main continuity." Well, you're not wrong, and that is duly noted. Just thought I'd offer this bit of info to anyone else who cares and is thinking about (re-)watching the show themselves. You're welcome.

As for me, I'm currently running through the entire series, movies and The Final Act included, for the very first time, having seen the show many times before, back when Adult Swim aired it, but never all the way through. However, I have thus far only gotten through episode 124, just after spoiler[Bankotsu is defeated and Naraku resurfaces to kill Kikyō for the second time]. Assuming this thread survives, I'll come back and post my notes on the other two films when I get to them.

My apologies if any of this has already been covered. I'm also open to any corrections or rebuttals.

Last edited by Gatherum on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Almost finished with Sankarea and I've gotta say, this is one of the strangest yet charming little "romantic comedy/horror(??) shows I've seen. Like....this is so bizarre! But I love the two lead characters....(Chihiro is a wonderful MC and Rea's adorable too), their relationship is just the cutest and the show also does creative things. The rest of the cast ranges from "meh" to "holyfkillthatmofo" but you don't need them; Chihiro and Rea carry the show fine on their own. I immediately started to read the manga....and it's quite hard to put down. I think Studio Deen did a very good job on the anime though. It's a crying shame there isn't more of it; I prefer the artwork in the anime to the manga's....but this happens with nearly every shounen series I encounter. lol
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I marathoned Maria the Virgin Witch today and found it to be a great series. It had very likable characters and had very interesting things to say about morality. I also liked the character designs, especially Michael. He had a very imposing and slightly unsettling look.

I'm kind of disappointed they didn't make more use of Brother Bernard and his philosophical musings, even though he's a new character for the anime.

But yeah, this series is an instant pre order for me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:53 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Aquarian Age, and here's a fun fact: the show is rated worse than the notorious Popotan. So I thought I'd totally hate Aquarian Age and would immediately drop it. But to my surprise, the first episode is actually quite good. And I don't mean that sarcastically either; it is legitimately interesting and has a likeable cast. The music is by the esteemed Yuki Kajiura, so while there wasn't much of it (especially in a story about a musician and his band), it was nevertheless really strong. And I enjoyed the character designs, especially of Kyouta and Yoriko. I don't know why this show is so abysmally rated. Perhaps it spectacularly self-destructs in the later episodes? You wouldn't know it based on the first episode. I'm definitely going to watch more to see for myself.
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote
^
I imagine that's what John Hammond thought when he decided to create Jurassic Park. "I don't know why these creatures are so feared. I know, I'll bring them back to life and see for myself! What's the worst that can happen?"

Careful, Dtm. I admire your courage, but sooner or later you'll run into T-Rex and the raptors... Wink
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The music is by the esteemed Yuki Kajiura,

Welp....can't go wrong with that! :3
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
^ Ah...The Organization...The story's very little mentioning of it did leave me a bit curious as to who it was, how it was formed, and what purpose it had for existing. I think Noir would've been better had the story showcased its history.

Well, sometimes it is better to leave things unexplained/ambiguous I guess. Very Happy I haven't finished watching Noir though so I wouldn't comment on this particular case. Haibane Renmei, for instance, is perhaps a good case for the use of ambiguity in anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
Currently on episode 17 of The Vision of Escaflowne. I have to say, the dub had a shaky start, but now it's... good. Like, I'm sure the sub is better, but the dub has a lot of great actors who you don't hear these days. I think the first episodes sounded stiff, and occasionally they overact or underact (this was a late 90's dub) but for the time it came out, it's pretty good.

The music is amazing. I don't think I can stress that enough. Though the story itself is kinda confusing, yet generic at the same time, I think that the second half of the show is pretty awesome so far.

I'm just not invested in the two love triangles that Hitomi is a part of. I need to keep in mind that this is a Shoujo anime so it was made for teenage girls. I'm a 19 year old male. Love triangles rarely work for me, and honestly, romance like this needs to be done VERY well for me to care. Hitomi, Allen, and Van are all... just archetypes. Despite this, I find myself getting goosebumps whenever a character is in peril. I can't wait to see if this gets better, but for now, it's in the upper echelon of "decent" pushing for "Good."
ayanami000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
Someone just reminded me about this soo I'll watch it now again.
Romeo X Juliet Cool
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Watching Soul Eater Not!, highschool style comedy show. Very funny and entertaining, similar to K-On! in some aspects. The animation and art is a bit subpar, specially considering I am watching Fate Stay Night UBW at the same time, whose art and animation are among the best, though I am finding the talk about Holy Grail War to be a bit repetitive in it's third iteration. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching "Gatchaman CROWDS Insight Inbound" (episode 0 of the new Gatchaman CROWDS season). It was pretty good, and definitely emphasized the action elements of the show.

I have a feeling that anyone who hasn't seen the BluRay-only "Gatchaman CROWDS Embrace" episode is going to be totally confused by Berg Katze's new role in the series... which stinks, because that episode wasn't included on the show's home video release in the US.

I'm thinking of re-watching some of the first season again, but it would have to be subtitled, because I can't stand how the English dub turned out.

Also, I'm making my way through Martian Successor Nadesico again. I missed out on a lot of details the first time I watched it, like all the discussions of gender politics, the show-within-a-show foreshadowing, and all the monuments in Peaceland. The only problem is that now I have the "Gekigengar 3" theme stuck in my head.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm halfway through watching RideBack. I'm finding it to be a decent show so far. It's amazing how a motorcycle can be modified into a transforming robot that's capable of standing upright at high speeds. Smile
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
@BodaciousSpacePirates
I, too, plan to watch Nadesico again when I can. It's use of foreshadowing is so brilliant that I miss it the first time, then when it happens I go "omg! They totally hinted at that with that thing before!" so I think it's the sort of thing that would be even more awesome again. And it was already awesome the first time.

I finished A Certain Scientific Railgun, I quite enjoyed it. My friend's fiancé (I lent them the first half) really likes the lesbian girl, lol. The second half started off kind of slow, but I've really enjoyed the payoff at the end of each half. I definitely want to watch Railgun S and I've also started A Certain Magical Index as a result. I've seen the first 6 eps of that (half on funi's website to convince me to buy it, then it came in the other day), which is like one arc and I'm enjoying that too, though in a different way from Railgun. And Index herself hasn't annoyed me as much as I feared she would.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 862 of 1062