• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I am still enjoying Seven of Seven after finishing 14 episodes.
I think that this is one of those shows that tries to get more serious and dramatic near the end, but it has not gotten to that point yet. It is still very easy-going, light-hearted and relaxing.
Mutsumi is still around and Melody Honey got another episode.

I am satisfied with Seven of Seven for being funny without being hilarious, but I was also in the mood for something that really is hilarious.

So I decided to revisit Ninja Nonsense.
I have watched this at least three times, probably four or even more. It seems to get funnier every time. (I just upgraded my rating from very good to excellent.)
I am listening to the dub. Some of the performances are a bit uneven, but they keep the comedy flowing smoothly. Sean Schemmel as Onsokumaru is fantastic. His voice, timing, and delivery are all perfect. He is what makes Ninja Nonsense truly hilarious.

After two episodes I think that I will go back to Seven of Seven when I am ready to watch more anime.
I think that something as frantic and frenetic as Ninja Nonsense is probably better in small doses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:39 am Reply with quote
I have not watched anime for... 2 months now? A bit crazy, bit life got in the way and I seem to be watching a lot more films and series with real people in it.

Went back to try and finish Death Parade I started ages ago. It's what I wanted it to be mostly, although don't think I will rate it 9 or 10 stars in the end. Still have three episodes to go, so things might get changed. I like it, but I am not too excited about it...

I also took up, and finished quite quickly, Psychopass. I found the first episode here was quite bad, I considered dropping it, but got hooked by ep 4/5. I must say I as not very fond of the main female lead, I always find something annoying about this sort of characters sitting on a high moral horse. Don't get me wrong, she came a long way and turned out to be a pretty good detective, but in the end, I never armed up to her way of thinking.
Night fox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I finished Cowboy Bebop yesterday, and I have to say that I'm slightly disappointed. I realize that people have different tastes, but this series is so hyped that I thought it surely had to be something special. Many episodes aren't that interesting, silly even, and the quality varies a lot between episodes throughout the series. The characters are the show's greatest weakness and the only one I actually like somewhat is Faye, the others just don't cut it.

The soundtrack is very good, though, and the characters usually drop at least a few clever lines in each episode. The problem is that Cowboy Bebop tries to be a little of everything, but as a result ends up not having any real strenghts. I tries to be both silly and witty, philosophical and thoughtful, as well as cool and badass. Imo it tries to incorporate, and uses clichés from, too many genres (action, adventure, comedy, drama, mystery, romance, and sci-fi), but doesn't shine in any one of them.

I'm not saying that Cowboy Bebop is a bad show, I still rate it as very good (if barely), but it certainly isn't as good as I expected it to be. Sad
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm a very casual person when it comes to anime.........and if ever I watch anime, I mostly watch it on TV.

So where I'm from, here's what is showing this month (Animax Asia)

1) Mushibugyo
Watched it for the heck of it. First OP song was terrible though thankfully the ED1 song is nice. It did get better once OP2 and ED2 was played.

2) The Irregular at Magic High School
Airs tomorrow/later. Lots of hype for this show (and one of the best artwork/drawings to come out of MADHOUSE Animation Studios)

3) Wizard Barristers
-Will probably give a shot. First time to encounter a mix of Magic and Law. It could probably be some kind of Magical Legal Drama haha xD

4) Charlotte
I think this best simulcast of Animax in many years. Definitely looking forward to this show

#AnimaxCharlotte
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
@ Night Fox

My favorite character was Edward. She was the nicest member of the crew, being the heart and all. Melissa Fahn's performance was fantastic. Anime smile

I'm going to be honest; I merely liked Bebop. I do believe it's perfect, yes, but it's a show I respect more than I enjoy. It ultimately does not matter what your personal feelings toward it is. Due to its impact on the medium, it needs to be given respect. It's up there with EVA as being one of the most important anime in history.

I think a lot of this has to do with the head writer, Keiko Nobumoto. She's one of the few people in the industry who doesn't aim to entertain her audience first. Nobumoto-sensei is a very thoughtful person, as seen from her Space Dandy episodes (her weakest work, IMO), as well as my personal favorite of her shows, Wolf's Rain. I do admire her very much, but I can understand why people are so alienated by her stories. She's kind of like a Great American Writer, expect she's Japanese.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
@Akane. Cowboy Bebop is actually not that influential series. It's among the top selling TV series of the 1990's and is very popular but it was not ground breaking as Evangelion in Japanese pop culture (EVA is a series that changed the landscape of TV animation in the 1990's and lead to the current late night anime era). Cowboy Bebop in terms of sales is ranked around the 100th place with 16,768 average unit sales, about the same as Stein's Gate or A Certain Magical Index, nothing super radical, the top selling 1990's series were among with EVA, Nadesico and Dragon Ball GT.

Bebop is more famous in the US than elsewhere because it appeals to the American psyche. I guess North American anime fans tend to like it more than anime fans from other regions. I personally rate it very highly but I think that's because of nostalgia since it was one of the first adult anime series I watched when I was 13 years old. But I have already watched dozens of other series which I find superior.

Still being very balanced combination of genres and influences it is a series that is a good introduction of the anime medium since it has a little of everything and hence shows what anime can do (that is everything).

Finished right now Narutaru (2003), psychological horror show, very disturbing. I talked a bit more about it in the cutesy brutality thread. I am also watching Barakamon, great slice of life story that reminds me of the Yotsuba manga as both titles are about the simple joys of daily life, things that make life worth living and The Eccentric Family, another great depiction of the wonders of life, from the perspective of a family of tanukis.

And I also finished Soul Eater Not! (2014), overall it is an entertaining series. It's not great or anything but I found it midly entertaining and it also had some K-On! style of flavor, though combined with kinda Harry Potter fantasy setting, but way sillier (I haven't watched or read the original Soul Eater).

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Finished right now Narutaru (2003), psychological horror show, very disturbing.

Ah, Shadow Star Narutaru...I watched that...
The ending was particularly bone-chilling.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
@ Mr. Oshawott, yeah, I think I even had a bad night of sleep last night because of it. Very Happy
ayanami000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote
Currently re-watching Angel beats. Love the combination of there antics and drama at same time.
Night fox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:35 am Reply with quote
I've just seen Ghost in the Shell (1995) and I now understand why it's known as one of the great anime classics. This franchise is definitely the real deal and I can't wait to sink my teeth into S.A.C. Very Happy
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
@ Night Fox, maybe you should also try watching the other Oshii films like Patlabor 1 and 2 and Urusei Yatsura 2. The film of GitS has a lot in common with Oshii's other films besides the rest of the franchise.
Night fox

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
@Jose Cruz

louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
Just finished Porco Rosso. I have to say, I enjoyed it more than Kiki a little bit (the previous Ghibli movie I saw), but this is coming from someone who thinks Ghibli is overrated. It gets a "Good," but it isn't quite at "Very Good." I don't think it's a must-see, but it was a very entertaining film. I liked it more than I thought I would. Next on my list of Ghibli is Pom Poko.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:38 am Reply with quote
^ Cool! I liked Porco Rosso too! I think I gave it a better score than you, though. I'd say it's one of my top five favorites of Ghibli canon.

I watched The Girl who Leapt Through Time last night. Still a good movie, and I thought there was a lot of effort and charm put into it. The main problem, however, lies in the fact that the plot they're doing is pretty paint-by-numbers. (I call it the Bruce Almighty plot; everyman gets power beyond wildest dreams, abuses it, learns lesson about responsibility). Then again, this was sort of based on a book written in the Sixties. So in conclusion, I think they didn't really do enough to update the story. Overall, while I don't like it as much as I used to, I still think it's a worthwhile effort by Hosoda-sensei.

Also, I finished the first season of Spice and Wolf. This one's definitely going on my favorites list. With a charming lead couple, beautiful artwork, and impressive world-building, it kept my attention throughout all thirteen episodes. Best of all, it made economics NOT BORING. I can't wait to start the next season.

In addition, I saw the first episode of Black Butler. We're off to a good start, albeit not perfect. I think it's going more for a fun and campy romp in the park than anything serious. There's nothing in particular I like more than anything else, but it has a lot of charm and wit. The opening was nice, but the end credits are just plain adorable. I look forward to more adventures with Ciel and (the seductively hot) Sebastian soon!
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I put spray in my teeth and I decided to watch the 2nd arc of Sword Art Online (episodes 15-25), just starting with the first episode, knowing it's the most hated part of the series. It will probably not be inmediate though, but let's be careful. I put one episode, the episodes starts going, starts going, and--

BOOM!

Wow the whole Asuna thing and objectification and that lamest lame villain wow, now this sucks.

REBOOM!!

Wow the whole spoiler[imouto crap with the transparent actually we're not related siblings shit], now this sucks even more.

I mean, I knew it was hated but I wasn't expecting to get this bad so quickly, my god. And now do I have to watch 10 more episodes? With this introduction? Crying or Very sad

Speaking of other things, I watched Lupin the Third: A Woman called Fujiko Mine. Totally virgin to Lupin the Third before watching this btw. It was alright. The art was interesting and in the best animated episodes was pretty awesome but when the budget went down it looked very cheap and ugly sadly. Plot-wise the episodes were very hit-and-miss (what the hell was up with that Cuba/Fidel Castro episode?), and the main plot was entertaining but by the end it goes too overly-complicated and overloaded to something so ridiculous that even the self-aware tone didn't help that much, and the anticlimax made the whole thing feel like some random cute adventure with some thematic stuff that you would see in a movie or inside an arc of other series instead of one of its own (but I've not seen anything Lupin-related besides this one so I don't know). But it was alright, and maybe I'll check the future Lupin anime that is coming up this Fall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 864 of 1061