• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Lol....Sentai's not THAT bad. They're doing a pretty good job with Akame Ga Kill at least...
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Earlier I finished Scrapped Princess and oh dear. Positives first: The action was well executed, it had good philosophy to it, sometimes the writing and animation were decent, the conspiracy subplot was done well for what little time it had, and there was little fan service. Overall I found it good and with that said here come the negatives! Literally no character development, which wouldn't irk me so much if some episodes were dedicated to nothing but senseless talking irrelevant to the plot. Nobody except for Leo was interesting; in fact any dialogue not related to world building was uninteresting in general. The pacing was kind of slow, granted it was nowhere near as bad as a lot of other schlock I've seen recently. Build up to major events could have been executed better. The villains were kind of dumb and just expected to use the very humans they think are pathetic to do their work for them. Finally, the amnesia subplot went on for too long, it essentially brought the plot going to a screeching halt. I was going to make a comparison wasn't I?

>exiled blonde princess that can overpower oppressive system
>murderous prince brother
>literal male knight she abuses
>main enemy is most of the human population controlled by a mad regenerator
>angel and dragon motifs
>ally dragon morphing girl
>mobile fortress base after the half way point
>spoiler[mom dying to add to sadness]
>surprisingly happy ending

Yup, this is proto-Cross Ange, just not as dark or ecchi-riddled.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Finished Ga-Rei Zero today. Thankfully my store had this one out for only $33 otherwise it might have been a minute (if ever) before I got around to finding/watching it.

Not the most amazing show I've ever watched, but I was never bored watching it either. The relationship between the two leads (Yomi and Kagura) was very well done. Sadly, it was the only thing that really stands out as most of the characters and plot are pretty generic. Do NOT take that as being a bad thing, though. While it may not offer much in terms of originality, it's still an entertaining and extremely fun, if sometimes emotional, watch. Now if we can just get the sequel animated, I'll be very happy.

Rate: Very Good

Tomorrow, I'm starting Mushishi. Got it a few days ago and was anxious to finish Ga-Rei Zero before I watched it. Now the time has come.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! As the years go by, I struggle more and more to think of things to be grateful for. Part of is because I am straying farther from the innocent, weird child I used to be. Another is that I find myself becoming more cynical with time. That doesn't mean I can't find things to be thankful for at all. For example, I am thankful for my family, my friends, my readers of my analysis thread, and this still.

[O HAI HIYORI.]

So, yeah, I watched the first episode of Noragami. This actually made me cackle like a hyena while watching it. It's a Studio Bones Production, so of course the animation is gorgeous, with a special mention to the opening battle. Brynn Aprill is great as main heroine Hiyori, providing just the perfect balance of sardonic and sweet. Jason Liebrecht isn't too bad as Yato himself. I can't wait to see more!

Also, considering Yato's entire motivation, I was reminded of this song:

I want your money
I'm strapped for cash
I need your money
Too lazy to get a job
Give me your money
I'm not being funny
Give me your money today!

First person to tell me where this is from gets an internet cookie. (^_O)
HdE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I just finished off Kids On The Slope, which I'll be reviewing in the near future on my Youtube channel. (Interested parties should search for BrainjarTV over there if they feel so inclined.)

I'll not say too much here (because I'd like people to watch my reviews, natch) but this show really reminded me why anime was so amazing to me way back in the day. The animation of the jam sessions in this show feels completely authentic, and it syncs with the soundtrack so tightly that you can't help but be impressed. It really gives the show a lot of credibility.

I wish we saw more of this kind of thing these days. It seems like so much anime is being knocked out to meet stringent budgets now. I can't imagine what this show would have been like if it had cheaped out and used stills or CG for those scenes.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

[O HAI HIYORI.]

So, yeah, I watched the first episode of Noragami. This actually made me cackle like a hyena while watching it. (^_O)

Anime hyper That is the BEST scene....I also cackled and rewound it a few times. HE LOOKS SO CREEPY. Anime hyper
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I finally finished Ghost Hunt, it was surprisingly awesome! I like how it got more intense over time and everyone was useful eventually. I'd say more, but most of my positives were stated already. After that I took on a two episode OVA called Twin Angel, I thought it was going to be obnoxious, but it was just mediocre. I liked the lack of ecchi for the most part, the action, and the main villain. After that I finally got around to watching Macross Fire Bomber 7, which was basically Gavil giving stock footage tapes to the Frontier cast to I assume inspire and promote spiritia (I saw this via Chinese subs since English subs were not at a stream source anywhere); also he now has a bird form for some reason. It was mostly a compilation that forgot about Valgo and Gamlin's love for Mylene for no reason as well as Sheryl and Ranka butchering Macross 7 songs. Well at least I am caught up with the franchise until Delta airs.

And then there is Samurai Champloo up to episode 21........... And Mugan literally threatened to murder a child without remorse in the previous episode........

Other things happened that I would gladly talk about, but that was cringe inducing, so I will wait for next time.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
Just finished a show, so now I'm going to start watching School-Live! Actually I stumbled upon it while I was in Japan last summer for Comiket. I turned the TV on for some late night anime and this show came on. My Japanese is good enough that I got through the whole episode understanding most of what was going on. I liked the cute character designs and must say if I were to imagine an ideal anime based on my interests, this one would come very close: Cute girls, psychological, cheerful school comedy mixed with zombies and mystery.

I hope the exclamation point in the title means there will be a sequel, lol.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I've finished up my Mitsuru Adaichi binge of over a month, last up was the Slow Step OVA, directly after reading the manga. Both the manga and the OVA falter big time in what should be the main attribute of the series. That being that it's a shojo story about a young girl choosing between boys and failing completely to produce any legitimate chemistry between the girl and any of the guys. Occasionally she'll ponder what she thinks about the main two (childhood friend/handsome valiant guy) and the plus one (young teacher with orphaned niece) but is never clear what exactly she sees as their good points. Both end with giving the one she eventually chooses (revealed definitively only in the end credits of the anime- and in a dream in the manga) a little extra time and slight favor.

But the OVA fails in an extra way. The manga may fail in producing romance but it does feature multiple hilarious romantic comedy which the OVA consistently shortens or completely deletes. The main comedic conceit of the show is that at one point she dons a long wig and big glasses to dodge some tough guys that might be after her and it's this persona that one of the boys falls in love with and that no one realizes isn't the same girl with no glasses and short hair. She ends up having to have dates with both boys at the same time by switching clothes and constantly "going to the bathroom." The best bit is a beach vacation and the anime completely skips it.

The anime would probably seem better without reading the manga though. It does try to emphasize the choice she has to make much more, so it at least keeps a tighter focus. Not that reminding us about it helps her to make a decision.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I am currently watching Showa Monogatari. It is interesting to see the lives of Japans several decades earlier and it has been a nice slice of life show so far. The oldest brother is my favourite. The weakness is that male characters got significantly better characterization than females whose characterization is mediocre. The main character's sister and mother are only defined by their relationship with men, no interest, their relationships with other women are insignificant. And when the sister meets with her female friends, they talk about boys. I understand that she may not think about career, because of how the society was back then, but still being solely defined by relationships with men is poor characterization. There is nothing interesting about female characters in this series.
SaiyanYasha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
School Rumble. It's got funny moments and plot.LaughingI find it so humorous as John Oliver and aqua teen hunger force's jokes combined together with a mixture of moments from Love Hina. seriously though, school rumble to me is like Love Hina but with less fan service and more humor.
jay19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Right now I am watching the opening anime trailer of the mobile game that I am playing Game of Dice. Smile Their game has nice characters and I hope they could really turn this one into an anime!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
Oh, I just got done with watching Beyond the Boundary. Well I did watch it when it originally aired, and have seen the movies so it is not quite the experience it is when you first watch it, but I appreciated that side. I was watching the dub with my younger brother, was really happy to see it finally on BD. My thought on the dub was that Mirai's voice felt way to squeaky, like perhaps they were trying to do what the Japanese language did and it did not sound right. But other than that I did not have any real complaints with the dub.

I was so happy to watch it again, I pretty much fell in love with, especially with certain revelations that change how you see events, the first movie did a particularly good job of focusing on that. I still laughed at all the jokes, I really like the characters. It was something that reminded me why I have been such a big fan of Kyoto Animation, and something people kind of underestimated from its premise.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Samurai Champloo. No contest, this is easily one of the worst anime titles I have ever seen, easily top 10 worst of all time. Worst as in I honestly don't know if there is enough good stuff in it to barely warrant better than a 1/10. The only thing I can confirm is that it is better than Infinite Ryvius. "But Duel what makes you say this?" you might be wondering. I already went over how bad the music is although the ending theme kind of grew on me over time and to a much lesser extend the opening theme, which is one of the very few positives. I haven't went over this, but Fuu was a total airhead the entire series. "I'm not going explain my motivations on finding my dad just to berate him so I will make these two obviously dangerous murderers help me because I cannot fight for myself!" She's Bella from Twilight in another place and time. Jean may have been the only decent character in the series, but there isn't much to him aside from "former friends hunt me down". I talked about how abysmal the animation consistency gets, so much so it gives schlock like Kill la Kill a run for its money. In fact the series has inconsistent moments such as episode 22 being mostly about zombies and episode 25 some samurai somehow becomes transparent when fighting Mugann and Jean; in other words THEY CANNOT DECIDE IF THEY ARE TRYING TO BE REALISTIC OR NOT! The pacing is slow, although I have seen so much worse that it isn't as big a negative. The scenery looks good, so that is a plus. The writing seems pretentious when it is trying to be poetic or artistic (it is not), so much so that part of the reason I can't give it a proper score right now is because I honestly do not know whether it is more pretentious than Yurikuma Arashi. This is made worse when you factor in how anticlimactic the ending was and how little build up was around anything.

And finally we get to THE big problem with this atrocity: Mugann. This is not a human, this is a monster that dances in flesh and bones. This is an organism is reviling in sheer ineptitude and bloodlust. Repulsive is the his will to bring wanton destruction to innocent people. This beast, hands down, boots off Tomoko from Watamote as my least favorite character of all time. Even the now third place Revy from Black Lagoon had a backstory that broke her, but this creature? The personification of evil, the incarnation of remorseless; he doesn't even have a reason beyond "I'm bored" which he flat out admits. I dare say he is more evil than the Major (or anyone) from Hellsing Ultimate, at least that guy was spoiler[just a robot]. Episode 23 had him throwing a baseball thrown with such force it destroyed a wooden tower; this is no human. Then the final two episodes did the biggest insult of them all spoiler[he fights people he drove insane from his pirate activities and they rightfully put the animal down, but just as he dies, AFTER BEING AT THE CENTER OF A FREAKING DYNAMITE EXPLOSION, Fuu just wakes him up and he is fine. Granted, in the zombie episode mentioned above, it is implied the trio survived a meteor crashing close to them, so I guess in-universe there is a reason he could survive this as well.] Disgust and dumbfounded are what I left felt with afterward.

I know this review is more negative than usual, but I am trying to find something good here and found very little to work with, I am grasping straws at this point!

So yes, top 10 worst ever, I'd be more specific, but it is up against very stiff competition.

Last edited by DuelGundam2099 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099

While I will agree that the zombie episode in Samurai Champloo is bad, I have to disagree regarding your assessment of the rest of the series.

Comparing Fuu to Bella of all people makes no sense to me. Sure, Fuu can't really do anything to defend herself, but that's the only thing I can see that the two characters have in common. Fuu can be selfish and naïve, but she clearly shows that she is a good person and realizes that she has flaws.

"Former friends hunt me down is a rather simplistic way to describe Jin. spoiler[He killed his teacher after said teacher was pressured by the government to turn the dojo into a school for mercenaries which Jin disagreed with. Kariya stated it clearly in their fight; Jin is out of place at the time of the series due to his personal code.]

Mugen is the way he is due to his upbringing. It certainly doesn't excuse him from the things he did. He actually improved during the series due to journeying with Fuu and Jin. He goes back to save Fuu on multiple occasions. The first few times he's surprised at himself since he normally wouldn't do that. The last time, he goes after Fuu without question. He's certainly not a knight in shining armor, but he's not the monster you make him out to be.

All three characters start the series as drifters. Over the course of the series, they grow to care about each other and find purpose, even though it ends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 885 of 1062