• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Here's some VEEERY brief thoughts on recent anime.

Chobits: Hideki is a cinnamon roll.
Ghost in the Shell: No awkward dialogue is a plus.
Monster: Tenma is also a cinnamon roll.
Noragami: Still broken from the ending of Episode Five stomping on my heart.

Still very busy! I'll see you guys later with my first thoughts on BECK! Later! Smile

Well, that isn't a lie. Brief thoughts indeed.

Just gonna say that out of those 4, Monster is my #1, though I still have to finish Noragami. Probably after I finish Terror of Resonance on DVD.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Started watching Fate/Zero after finishing Fate Stay Night this last week.

Holy hell!

Two episodes in and I'm more hooked on this than any show I've seen in a solid minute. Maybe it's because I've been sitting here trying to piece who falls where in the Fate Stay Night story and trying to guess how each character gets where they are but it's been an absolute blast just watching these two episodes. Seeing how great a parent Emiya is contrasts so much with what we hear about his character in the first episode and what we see in Fate Stay Night. This is already promising to be a roller coaster that I'll be sad to see end.

If I had to nitpick one thing, it's that they didn't get Saber's dub voice actor from Stay Night to reprise her role.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
^ Fate/Zero is my #1 anime.

On that note, I have been reading manga instead. I just caught up with I Am a Hero and I just finished The Flowers of Evil.

I Am a Hero was amazing! I can't understand how there's no anime of it.

Aku no Hana was amazing... until the final 1/3 or so. Just stop reading after spoiler[the suicide attempt] and make up your own ending. Anime hyper It goes into boring melodrama territory (not even good melodrama IMO).

[Edit]: tagged major spoiler. Errinundra.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I stopped watching anime for about 5 years, now I'm back watching new titles again....

1. MS Gundam The Origin I and II. The Blue Eyed Casval and Artesia's Sorrow. (Just Completed)

2. MS Gundam. Iron Blooded Orphans. (Just started)

3. Fate Stay Night / Zero (Just completed)

4. Fate Stay Night / Unlimited Blade Works (Just completed)

5. Knights of Sidonia. (half way)

Completed 3-6 months ago:

1. Turn A Gundam
2. Unicorn Gundam
3. Attack on Titan
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Finally getting round to Mysterious Girlfriend X. And I love it. I'm genuinely interested in the plot (What reveals await?), and as a metaphorical treatment of sexual discovery it's very good, I think.
And also I adore the voice of the title character Urabe. Ayako Yoshitani is the VA, and as far as I can see she hasn't done anything else, which is a big shame.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
@ailblentyn

The entire manga of Mysterious Girlfriend X is available from Crunchyroll, also Vertical has the first volume solicited for a March release.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Alan!
I need to read it, since I really really like the art. Will start reading online and see if I feel the need to collect it.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Hello, everyone! Time for gushing!

Ghost in the Shell: So, this was my reaction to the animation in Episode 7:

I'd show you gifs from the episode itself, but since I couldn't find any, I posted this instead. That's how much I loved the animation. My highest compliments are that this show was made in 2002, but looks like it could have been made TODAY. What else can you say but SAKUGA!

Noragami: Okay, as soon as I saw Bishamon, I had to make this joke.

[AND I'M JAVIER! 24601!]

(Okay, no more gifs.)

That's all I have to say. The show continues to amaze with every episode. No complaints from me.

Monster: I was impressed by the "nature vs. nurture" themes that popped up in Episode 12. SPOILERS. spoiler[When Tenma confronts Hartmann over his past with 511 Kinderheim, they come to a disagreement over Johan's monster status. Tenma thinks it's Hartmann's fault Johan turned out the way he did. Hartmann says it's just how he is. The show (so far) doesn't really take a side. I like you, Monster.]

spoiler[Hartmann himself is also quite fascinating. He isn't "ha ha I'm evil because", but an insane extremist who really does love Dieter, as much as an insane extremist can. He legitimately thinks turning his ward into another Johan is a GOOD THING because science and utopia. When Dieter leaves, instead of getting angry, he instead has a psychological breakdown. You almost feel sorry for this guy, except that he's an unfit guardian and stuff.]

Moving on.

Chobits: It's cute. What? You want more from me? It's...it's just plain adorable! Finally...

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad: AW HELL YA. Catchy opening theme song, excellent dub, ROCK MUSIC! This show was made for me! I can't wait for more! See you later!

I was made to live in America... Cool
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
I dropped Blassreiter after about 6 or 7 episodes for similar reasons. I just found the pacing of the show too slow and none of the characters interesting. Maybe I should just skip to the episodes that Urobuchi wrote, lol. At least the designs for the motorcyles were cool, even though the CG was bad.

I got to episode 11, it FINALLY bothered to pick up at episode 8 because of the bullies finally being dealt with in a manner they deserve and it is glorious.

As for other things, here is what I finished recently:

-Nanoha Vivid: Wow, it literally forgot who its MC was half way through, changed the genre from school fighting to tournament plot that goes nowhere, has most of its screen time dedicated to side characters that do nothing, the pacing was immensely slow, and- Okay, Teo is sort of adorable. It is actually comical in its ineptitude, I'm impressed by how hard it tried to derail itself. They should have called this "Nanoha: Reinhart", she has the most screen time out of anybody. If there is any sign this franchise is dead, this is the case to make and I dare say it is worse than Strikers.

-Death Parade: Mostly fine except for minor moments like episode 9 where spoiler[they ended ambiguously/Dekker sent both guys into the void DESPITE THE FACT THE RULES WERE THAT THE WINNER WOULD GET REINCARNATION] and the ending where flower hair guy is told off by Noma because of the idiotic "there is only the present" philosophy. You know, the one people like George Bush used to invade countries, that lack of long term planning DEFINITELY helped people. Rolling Eyes And how dare people that run the AFTERLIFE think long term? She deserves to get fired over that. While on the subject on this setting, boy did it shoot itself in the testicles in the last episode! spoiler["the void is basically falling forever except the void has an actual floor and it is composed of dummies that make up your now gone body" Boy did nobody think this through!] And then there is the whole reincarnate/void problem, the reincarnated eventually die again and have to game play again until they are casted out. You know what is also like that? Water. In other words the world of the living is a body, human souls are water, and places like QuinDekum (I spell that right?) are kidneys. In other words this series is about nictoration, the dead are urine, and job security is too strong for people that shouldn't be in charge. That is the real psychological horror! See? I can construct symbolism too!

-Kaiba: Wow that mod wasn't joking when he said production values would be going into the toilet. Laughing On top of that there is no sense of direction for this series, we don't get back on track with a plot until episode 8 which is mostly a flashback. After that we finally get a bunch of running around and yammering until the last episode where stuff happens. So what is going on? spoiler[Simple, Kaiba was supposed to be the body of a king named Warp who apparently is a bad guy. Why? He executed government employees that had no problem lying to the people. Never knew having an honest government was a bad thing. The opposition was basically Popo wanting to induce human instrumentality because his mom I think. Then in episode 11 they throw in a bunch of betrayals as if there was any build up to any sort of conspiracy (there was not) with everyone shooting everyone else. The last episode had Warp and Kaiba fight, the latter consuming the entire planet via memories, and some chick named Neiro calms him down which fills the hole in his chest.] Also a side character scientist becomes a missile spamming robot. Then there was this:

Were you expecting Dio?

In all seriousness this perfectly describes the series: "Look audience, we have a bunch of creativity, but that isn't going to be our focus, rather the totally-out-of-it people complete with nobody knowing what is going on!"
SaiyanYasha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Of all the Megaman related Genres there was an anime series called and based off of the megaman NT series, Megaman NT warrior this is an example of how popular some video game related animated series are, except i don't know where to go with this one let's just see how this story works out.

The series focuses on Lan Hikari and his NetNavi, MegaMan.EXE as they build their friendship while dealing with threats from various NetCrime organizations. Along with Lan are friends Maylu Sakurai, Dex Ogreon, Yai Ayano, Tory Froid, and their respective Navis: Roll, GutsMan, Glide, IceMan. Although the series originally remains fairly close to the games in terms of storyline, it begins to diverge greatly partway into the series. For example, there is no evidence showing that Lan and MegaMan were twin brothers in the anime, unlike in the games where it is revealed near the end of the first Battle Network game.

A great plot. I love it so far. And so far I've heard that other robot masters also make appearances around the story ark as well one of them being Flashman one of the most never scene robot masters and i think this is really getting us somewhere so far. And I love the style of the EXE which is where protoman appears, Stream introducing Duo, a being from outer space who seeks to destroy humanity after witnessing the chaos caused by Dr. Regal. Beast is about the warring Cybeasts Gregar and Falzar, as well as the Navi Trill. Pitted against the newly emerged Zoanoroid armies of the Cybeasts, Lan, MegaMan, and a select group of their partners, find themselves drawn into the parallel world of Beyondard. Guided by a mysterious girl, Iris, they join the human resistance in the fight to claim the "Synchronizer" powers of Trill, with which MegaMan is able to "Beast Out". Nearing the end of Beast, the android brain belonging to Wily of Beyondard reveals himself along with his lackeys, Blackbeard and Yuika, hoping to acquire the victor Cybeast as his new body. nice concept. Beast+ continues from where Beast left off, though it is marketed as a stand-alone series.

Episodes are reduced to approximately ten minutes, airing in the thirty-minute time-slot Oha Coliseum alongside the Saru Getchu anime. Beast+ consists of a string of arcs beginning with the appearance of the Professor and Zero (both from Mega Man Network Transmission). An ex-WWW member, the Professor recovers the remains of Gregar, intent on reviving it for his own purposes. Following its deletion and Zero's decision to break ties with his master, the second arc takes place. Stranded in the world that they perceive to be opposite of their own, Blackbeard and Yuika band together with Darkloid BubbleMan, committing various crimes in a Team Rocket-esque fashion. Shortly thereafter, MegaMan gains the abilities of Cross System. Zero then returns in the subsequent arc, befriending both GutsMan and MegaMan. The vengeful Professor, however, also resurfaces, unleashing a new subordinate known as Zero One. Moved by the kindness that has been shown to him, Zero sacrifices himself to put a stop to the Professor once and for all. The storyline then continues toward its finale with the introduction of Cache, the final boss of the Japan-exclusive mobile game, Rockman EXE Phantom of Network. I love the plot of that.

I think this story of Megaman NT warrior has become really interesting compared to the video game related megaman genres, and it's really amazing how Ryo Takamisaki wrote the whole plot from the manga series into the anime television series according to what I've heard and as I've been noticing the animation is really crisp and clean and the characters stand out from a good distance as how they react and comunicate like how the opening of megaman 8 is, so I think this series is really worth watching.

[Edit]Moved and cleaned up your layout. Errinundra.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Terror in Resonance has been quite interesting. I don't wanna spoil anything since this show is so difficult to talk about without revealing something big, and I really do feel as though this is an underexposed masterpiece, but I will say this. Five has no purpose. She could have been taken out of the story and they could have made a great, 6 episode OVA or something. She just feels like a pointless addition for the sake of mind games that aren't really that interesting. I give Lisa a pass since she exists to humanize Twelve, but Five? Eh... not really worth a damn. Especially since her motivation is essentially "I wanna finish this game of chess from 10 years ago" or something. Maybe it's an instance of mislead "GIRL POWER" but if this anime ever gets a remake in like... 20 years, I hope she get omitted.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, courtesy of Toonami, I only have three episodes left of Akame Ga Kill.

So, I already know who dies and who doesn't because Internet and friends. In fact, I tried to watch the series before when it was just airing in Japan but couldn't get into it so I was fine with the spoilers, thinking I was never going to watch it anyway. However when a show pops up on TV late at night, that's another story. Less effort to watch. lol So I gave it another chance and I was honestly getting into it and found myself caring about the characters. I was looking the most forward to the MinexTatsumi relationship. Anybody who knows me on this forum wouldn't question why. I was amused at how much they disliked each other in the beginning of the show but I knew that they spoiler[became a thing later.] I was eager to see how they got to that point during the romantic moment of spoiler[Mine's death.]

....................ergh.
spoiler[THAT'S IT!!? They barely had any moments together from which you could see a mutual love forming. Like, sure, I love when characters are all yelling in each other's faces or teasing each other (hello belligerent sexual tension, that's always fun) but you DO actually need a little more than just that to create an honest, heartfelt romance. We didn't get that. We got childish fighting, some old guy saying "you're tied together by fate", Tatsumi saving her one time and a couple of blush scenes. I was expecting far more than this; hell, I was expecting them to get closer by the start of the second cour and they save it until three episodes before she dies. WTF. Speaking of WTF, her death was really WTF too....couldn't they have put a little more effort into that!?]

Seriously disappointed up in here!

I haven't read the manga yet. Depends on how I feel after the last episode, I suppose.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Yesterday I finally finished Soul Eater NOT! or as like to call it "the definition of a third wheel". I am half convinced this was supposed to be a 3 or 4 episode OVA series that got turned into a one course series, that would explain the sheer amount of filler since most of the episodes have barely two minutes of build up to the climax until the last quarter. Throw in some more ecchi crap and Meme continuing to be a third wheel and you get whatever happened with this prequel. I thought that was sort of obnoxious, then I watched both seasons of Strange Plus, some bad attempt at comedy starring a blue haired cross dresser and his misfit friends who just go around grossing out people and yelling. It is, hands down, the worst attempt in comedy in any anime I have ever seen, and after you see trash like Straight Title Robot Anime and Excel Saga, that is saying a lot. The only reason I don't give this a 1/10 is due to being how short both halves are, yeesh.

I also watched some compilation movie called The Impression of First Gundam which was supposed to be a 20th anniversary series of clips from the original series.... On three screens.... Yeah, this had nothing going for it at all. I can see why fansubbers didn't bother with this one. This morning I also found a source to watch an old one shot OVA called Mugen Shinshi which was basically Detective Conan fighting a necromancer scientist that ended on Britain, France, Nazi Germany, and Imperial Japan fighting each other in an island used to raise the dead complete with alligator men and a vampire butler. This was more comedic than MAL and AniDB said it would be. Laughing

Finally this afternoon I got to watch Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0. Ten years ago I got into anime through the original TV series because somebody needed to give Armor Mothra praisers a massive dose of reality aka he is not the god of fiction. That would be Aquarion Logos. Cool In all seriousness I got some vague spoilers when it came out, had questions going mostly "but why?", and waited until Funi would give this a release, but apparently Khara complained about nothing or something, I don't know nor do I care anymore. Half my info on this came from random camrip clips and attack animations in SRW Z3's second half. After seeing this I only have three questions, the rest doesn't bug me in the slightest. With that said here are basic thoughts:

-The art, atmosphere, and sound are up to the same high quality
-The AAA Wunder is a very nice ship spoiler[the Adams had taste in air/spacecrafts]
-Wow, Wille is mostly jerks, I have to give Anno credit that this time we actually see humans being terrible people across the board, EoE just gave us Seele's raid on Nerv
-I dare say it had the best action in the movie continuity bar none
-Toji's sister does nothing, why does she get so much attention from fans? Confused
-Mari barely did more beyond banter, I'm starting to see why the folks at /a/ think she's useless (technically she isn't, but barely)
-spoiler[Cord form? Fusing to organic matter? Metamorphing? Twelfth Angel is clearly Armisael, where are people getting the idea this is Leliel? Being a new angel maybe, but Sahaquiel got a design overhaul too]
-Speaking of which spoiler[I should question why he stuck himself in Unit 06, but his main power is fusing so I can let it slide]
-So those lances.... spoiler[Did Nerv recreate Longinus and hid Cassius (aka Unit 06's weapon used to stop Unit 01 at the end of 2.0)? Or are both fakes? Or could Longinus be divided into two spears and we just never saw it? Tabris pointed this out.]
-Oh hey this answered a couple of questions I wondered what would happen in the TV series. spoiler[As long as the core is intact then an angel would be able to function again if you take Longinus out. Also Angels can apparently mutate with each other if they are close enough to one another, although in this continuity there are differences with anatomy so I'll take that with a bunch o' salt.]
-So beast mode now includes spoiler[growing a tail]?

Now for my questions: Where it Unit 07? What was the eleventh angel? Why did Seele make artificial angels and called them Mark 04s when there was a Unit 04? Yup, numbering, literally the only enigmas left. Of course there is the question of what are the names of third and seventh, which I am dubbing Kushiel and Othniel until someone bothers bean spilling, but I'll give Anno the benefit of the doubt and just wait for 4.0.... Even though it should have came out last year.... And instead he is working on Godzilla is burned alive with his eyes going straight out and needing dentist work. Supposedly an OVA is in the works with Kensuke as the main lead and it might answer my first two questions, but until Godzilla shows off his third degree burns I don't see that or 4.0 being released any time soon. Come to think it Rebuild started a pattern that Unicorn Gundam and Code Geass: Akito The Exile have also done which involves dragging release dates indefinitely.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Just finished Terror in Resonance. Great show. I think that their motivation was great for being terrorists. I don't care if you guys hate it, I loved every moment of this show. I'd rate it Excellent, but I feel like it just lacked that special "oomph" while watching it. Hm... guys, help me out here! Excellent or Very Good?
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:25 pm Reply with quote
^"Great" would be my choice. Razz At least that word has its own theme.

Returning to the "taking on six series at once" shtick, I'll go over Blassreiter real quick: Ep 12 was a nice half way point while ep 13 was a bunch of backstory that you can now blame the entire character motivation on bullying. By the same bullies. Rolling Eyes You'd think they'd have the snot beaten out of them sooner. Now for four new series I am taking on!

-Haibane Renmei: To cut down the now almost dead backlog. The scenery is nice and everything seems to move at a fast pace, no problem with me.

-Umaru on the front page: Yes I know the real title is Himouto! Umaru-chan, but I'm watching this to understand /a/ memes so yeah. I want to be angry, but for some reason I am too amused. I don't know, maybe it is because the pacing is actually fast unlike Watamote. I read that Umaru is worse than Tomoko, but I have yet to see any evidence of this. The music is horrid though and knowing my experiences with otaku humor this will likely not end well.

-The Gargoyle of Yoshinaga House: Never heard of this? Not going to lie, there were several other candidates for this spot including Rio Rainbow Gate, the TV version of Twin Angel, Angelic Layer, One Punch Man, Rail Wars, Umineko, and Clannad. What made this series triumph was the fact that gargoyles are barely used in fiction beyond the Disney animated series and an old PS2 game named Primal (or Primeval, one of the two). So this is a comedy with an obnoxious main character, slice of life nonsense, and the gargoyle being a super serious guard dog that can talk to animals. Could be decent, can't say the same for the music or pacing, plus the animation has so not aged well, especially for something that came out in the mid-00s. I still think it might have potential though.

"Duel that is only three" Yeah, the fourth one is another tokusatsu called Daimajin Kanon, I think the original 1966 trilogy is among the best daikaiju movies of all time so in theory a television series with modern effects should at least be entertaining, especially since I finally found a source (with subs no less!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 893 of 1062