• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
@ Unicorn_Blade,

For the large image I changed the img tags to url tags. Try to keep your images within 800p width. Thanks.

Sorry, did not know that was the case- have not seen it in any of the rules, so might be worth putting it in somewhere.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
Don't sweat it - It isn't in the rules but people complain from time to time. I mean, I push the width as well - in the figures thread and my review thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
@Unicorn_Blade

The only problem with a too wide graphic is that it pushes the right side of the forum off the viewable area. Unless the graphic is extremely large this may not be noticed. However it also extends the area for messages and you have to scroll back and forth to read them. Fortunately this only effects the page the graphic is on, not the whole thread.

The reason it is not in the rules is that the forum software used to automatically reduce the size of the image to prevent this. This feature disappeared a few months back, likely because of an update to some other aspect of the forum software. Programming can be funny that way. We are still getting used to the change. If you have the capability to reduce the size of graphics you want to post that is the best approach.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I kind of hoped that a penny would drop when Yona saw Su-Won at the end and that she would notice he is a kind of ruler that her father was not, and that he IS actually trying to help people, not just sit in his palace. Difficult as it may be for her to accept as Su-Won killed the father, it would be interesting to see Yona admit that maybe, just maybe, he was a better fit for the kingdom, but maybe that was a too much to expect. With the dragons not really knowing much if anything at all about politics (or anything else for that matter) and Hak blinded by his disappointment towards Su-Won, the words of wisdom are unlikely to come from them.

Well, later in the manga Yona admits that Soo-won is a good leader that Kouka needs, so she will not fight him, because it will only plunge the country into chaos.

Quote:
As the manga is still ongoing- I would think that in the far future someone will pick up the rest of it, maybe?

They announced an OVA about Zeno's backstory, so maybe, depending on how well it sells, they will decide to make a second season, but I am not holding my breath.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
The simplest way to resize an image is:

[img src="someimage.url" width="30%"]
(replace the [ ] signs with <>, leave spaces as is)

The 30% means 30% of the width of the page, not 30% of the width of the original image size. So 100% would be the maximum without stretching the page. Height is then scaled automatically. 30 to 60% seems to be a nice, unobtrusive width for most things.

So the Yona image at 50% would look like:

louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Alright guys. I'm on a cruise right now and I took a few anime I own on DVD, but haven't been able to motivate myself to watch. Now I'm stuck with nothing to do. Which should I watch?

Jin-Roh, Chrono Crusade, Patlabor (OVAs 1-7), Orphen, Boogiepop Phantom, When Marnie was There, 009 Re:Cyborg, Vampire Princess Miyu (TV), Tenchi Muyo in Tokyo, or Blue Submarine No. 6?
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
There should be a list of "anime not to recommend to DuelGundam2099" at some point.

I have a feeling you won't like K-On, Inuyasha, Sword Art Online, Hunter x Hunter, Project A-Ko, Black Bullet, Judge, Azumanga Daioh, Baccano, Slayers, The Devil is a Part-Timer!, Future Diary, Angel Beats!, Love Live, Nisekoi, Toradora!, High School DxD and Ouran High School Host Club. The list goes on.

Last edited by Spawn29 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Patlabor is a definite, this is the original OVA that started the whole franchise. It was popular enough it enabled a long TV serie.

I'd follow with Blue Submarine #6. It is a bit old now but had really wild computer graphics. Interesting story as well.

I enjoyed Orphen, swords and sorcery with dragon, what's not to like. Others have not been so kind.

The Vampire Princess Miyu has much of the same creepy vibe as the original OVA, unfortunately the animation is not the best. If you can ignore that it is a good show.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Patlabor is a definite, this is the original OVA that started the whole franchise. It was popular enough it enabled a long TV serie.

I'd follow with Blue Submarine #6. It is a bit old now but had really wild computer graphics. Interesting story as well.

I enjoyed Orphen, swords and sorcery with dragon, what's not to like. Others have not been so kind.

The Vampire Princess Miyu has much of the same creepy vibe as the original OVA, unfortunately the animation is not the best. If you can ignore that it is a good show.

So far, Franchise-starting OVAs haven't steered me wrong (I've seen Ryo-Ohki and Bubblegum Crisis at least).

I've never had a problem with older anime using CG. I kinda expect weird-looking stuff with them.

I know literally nothing about Orphen, but now that you mention these things, I feel eager to check it out.

I haven't even seen the OVAs of VPM (I couldn't find the DVDs for them). Should I start there, or am I fine?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'd start with Jin-Roh, When Marnie was There, Chrono Crusade, Patlabor (OVAs 1-7), and Boogiepop Phantom, then flip coins for the rest. Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
@louis6578

The OVAs of VPM are not related to the TV series so they can be watched independently. They consist of two volumes. If you can't find them elsewhere, they are available directly from AnimEigo (www.animeigo.com) for $6.99 each or $13.99 for both. The OVA is closer to the source material and much better animated.

Unfortunately, the US licensor for the manga has been out of business for several years. You may find them on secondary market though.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
There should be a list of "anime not to recommend to DuelGundam2099" at some point.

I have a feeling you won't like K-On, Inuyasha, Sword Art Online, Hunter x Hunter, Project A-Ko, Black Bullet, Judge, Azumanga Daioh, Baccano, Slayers, The Devil is a Part-Timer!, Future Diary, Angel Beats!, Love Live, Nisekoi, Toradora!, High School DxD and Ouran High School Host Club. The list goes on.

No anime whatsoever should be recommended to someone who gave Lain a 1/10 and dropped Monster 19 episodes in.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Devil is a Part-Timer!

I thought that was great. BTW hi ya Spawny, didn't expect to find you in this neck of the woods.
Takkun wrote:
No anime whatsoever should be recommended to someone who gave Lain a 1/10

Lain deserved that rating, it was an incoherent mess with bad pacing, bad sound design and mixing, bad animation, bad writing, a bad cast, and cut corners every chance it got (sudden Roswell documentary episode anyone?). The only reason I don't call it the worst anime ever made is because it has extremely steep competition and after seeing an anime that literally hurt my eyes I am willing to go as far as saying I'd sooner rewatch literal eye strain before something that low.
Quote:
dropped Monster 19 episodes in.

Most of that was because I have plans at the end of the month which makes finishing it kind of pointless at this point, some of it was due to not knowing which eps would actually contribute anything meaningful (since a quarter of the eps acted like filler), but to a small degree I'm not allowed to talk about it anymore because every time I do that I (somehow) upset people and Psycho is tired of having his PM box loaded up with messages about my unpopular opinions. He's sick of PMs about me and I'm sick of getting PMs from him about how maple syrup was stolen by manticores that listen to Insane Clown Possie (that isn't what he writes but you get the idea and I felt like making a joke).
Louise wrote:
So far, Franchise-starting OVAs haven't steered me wrong (I've seen Ryo-Ohki and Bubblegum Crisis at least).

Be warned, the OVAs aren't going to show it, but if you make it to the TV series Ohta will be one of the most irritating loud mouths in anime history, the guy didn't make my top 10 worst anime characters of all time for nothing. He really is that hard to stomach and killed a good chunk of the series for me. The ZAT eps are worth it.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
. . . I'm not allowed to talk about it (Monster) anymore because every time I do that I (somehow) upset people and Psycho is tired of having his PM box loaded up with messages about my unpopular opinions.

I have not been reading your opinions about it because I have no interest in Monster, but I did not realize that people were getting that upset about any contrary opinions.

To get on topic, I am finishing Banner of the Stars. I am enjoying it, but not as much as I had hoped. The battles are a bit too frantic for me and I have trouble telling who is doing what to whom. Everything else seems too slow and relaxed, but I suspect that it is done like that intentionally because, well, that's just the way that the Ahb are.
But it is a decent science fiction show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Quote:
The Devil is a Part-Timer!

I thought that was great.

I had no idea you saw it. It seem like a type of anime you would not like. Anyways, I finish up 3x3 Eyes and I thought it was pretty awesome. I love the story, action and characters. I plan to watch 3×3 Eyes Seima Densetsu next. 3x3 Eyes feels like if Ajin: Demi-Human was made 25 years earlier. I give it a B+, a solid anime in my opinion. I wish the supporting cast was better though.

Last edited by Spawn29 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 920 of 1061