• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BDL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote
Digimon Tri chapter , Kohuhaku : the reason, because i love Digimon , On List to watch Digimon Universe , Appli Monster. I watched Dragon Ball Z super before, but i got bored after the 1st tournament...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Gonna Be The Twin-Tail. I had quite a bit of fun watching Sōji adapt to being a twin-tailed girl while as Tail Red. Plus, I now have a greater understanding that maintaining a healthy set of twintails is more complicated than it seems.

Edit: Awesome! 5000 posts! Now I feel like ANN is my virtual home. Anime catgrin
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I got distracted by my mission to rewatch all of The Walking Dead on blu-ray leading up to the season 7 premiere. I plan on finishing Lodoss Wars after I fill out some more job applications.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Been watching quite a few...

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash-I dropped this after spoiler[the death episode]. Five episodes and I don't care about any of the characters? Waste of time if you ask me. I only made it that far because I forced myself. However, I did like the art and animation.

Looking Up at the Half Moon-Dropped after the first episode because it didn't catch my interest.

Amanchu!-I have four episodes left and I've enjoyed it so far. The soundtrack is very relaxing and I like the teacher is a great character.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
K-ON!

Because music anime ROCKS. Pun intended. Razz

Seriously though, that ED sequence is really amazing. So stylish, great song, great designs there. I haven't seen an ED this good in a long time.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Domain of Murder - I had this anime for over a year now and I only got it for 50¢ at a yard sale. I'm glad that I bought and watch it because it was a pretty solid crime mystery anime. It's only 50 minutes, so the story may not be 100% perfect and you will find some plot holes. I really enjoy the cast of the character and the main villain. The animation is pretty good and the dub is decent too. What I like about the anime is the dark and gritty feel of suspense. This anime feels more realistic compare to other anime around that time period (Release in 1992 in Japan).

Domain of Murder is pretty under rated and would recommend it to people who like hard boiled crime and detective stories. It's not a perfect title, you do get a good cast of characters with a realistic and suspenseful story. I consider this anime to be another hidden gem from the past. Grade: B

I saw The Girl Who Leapt Through Time for the first time on Saturday and I thought it was great. I would love to see it again for the second time, but this time dubbed. Grade: A
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
This sunset I finished watching Selector Spread WIXOSS. The final battle was really intense with powerful energy being dished out at the maximum level. Shocked Although the actual fate of the Selectors remain a mystery, I'm relieved that the ending was a happy one. Anime smile
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Wicked City - With Halloween close by, I decided to re-watch Wicked City seeing that I haven't seen it in years since I was in High School. Wicked City is one of my favorite anime films and I still think it's a fantastic movie from start to finish. While the movie does have flaws, I think the movie really has great action, suspense, characters and awesome world building.

I thought the main characters are well done and I really love the duo between Makie and Taki. Renzaburo Taki is also a really cool character and Gregory Snegoff did a great job on voicing him in the Streamline dub of the film. I like the anime better in sub, but the Streamline dub for Wicked City is pretty good. Giuseppi Mayart is also very funny and is one of my favorite characters in the film. I admit that the villains could have been better, but I still enjoy them. The story of a hidden demon world from the human world and having a organization designed to protect the relations of both worlds in secret is very well done in my opinion.

Yoshiaki Kawajiri is one of my favorite anime directors of all time next to Satoshi Kon. What I love about Wicked City is the world in the movie and how interesting the story is. Nothing in this anime feels boring at all and the anime does a great job on mixing suspense, atmosphere and action into one. The anime does gore, but there is not much gore compare to Violence Jack, Corpse Party, Berserk, Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend or Higurashi When They Cry. Yoshiaki Kawajiri knew how to not over shadow the plot and characters without adding too much blood and gore.

The graphic horror and pulse-pounding action really makes Wicked City feel like no other film of its time. The animation in this movie is fantastic and holds up pretty well after nearly 30 years later. The animation really captures the dark mood and spooky atmosphere. The anime also has great monster designs and the other characters also look great too. Also the movie can have humor as well and the humor is pretty funny.

Yeah this movie has sex and nudity, but I didn't care. Having sex and nudity does not make something bad if it does not over shadow the plot. I felt like the movie didn't make the sex scenes that bad compare to something like Bible Black. The movie still had a lot of great action and suspense to make up the sex scenes.

Wicked City is like a mixture between Blade Runner, Evil Dead and John Carpenter's The Thing which is why this movie is so awesome. Overall, Wicked City is just an awesome movie. It has a great blend of action, horror, and drama. If you like horror anime or old school anime like Devilman or Ninja Scroll (Also from Yoshiaki Kawajiri), I suggest to check out Wicked City. Grade: A
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
My on and off relationship with anime continues.

Currently watching second season Aldnoah Zero.

With its array of boring characters who I struggle to like/care about, it actually has got a pretty decent plot. But siding with either a cold, emotionless, perfect and boring Main Character 1, and boring, flawed, ever so slightly tormented not-knowing-what-he-wants Main Character 2, it's a close call. Which one makes me yawn more.

Oh well, a few more episodes to go.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Magic Users Club. The first four episodes were fun with Sae's magical mishaps, but got a bit boring with Takeo's...hormonal predicaments. All in all, I had a fun time watching it. Smile
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Just got back from the cinema seeing A Silent Voice as part of Scotland Loves Anime. What a film. It's not quite the same as the manga, but not detrimentally spoiler[the main difference is that they omit the whole thread about the characters making a film] but the overall plot is the same. Being KyoAni, the animation is top notch and very detailed, I'm very glad I got to see it on a big screen. The whole film was very emotional, and seemed to place its comic moments well too. Definitely go see it if you're a fan of the manga, and even if you're not, go see it because it's that good.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote

The main point of contention that I noticed amongst those who attended Scotland Loves Anime was whether A Silent Voice could compare favourably to Your Name. The latter won the jury's prize, but some complain that this was due to it being more accessible. What say you on the matter? I take more than a slight interest in both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Going to see Your Name tomorrow so shall give my opinion then.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I've been here. Had to drop a few shows too, either because I didn't have time or because I no longer had the means to watch them. So, here's the three anime titles I'm currently covering.

Sword Art Online: Stopped at Episode Seventeen. I shall have words on that when I put up my recap in the next [insert number here] days. Oooooh boy. Gotta address the big honking elephant in the room. Yeah.

Ouran Host Club (again): Stopped at Episode Three. I like this show. Haruhi is a great female lead. Tamaki is my hasubando. Moving on.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Yes, I finally got around to watching this while it's airing on Toonami. Can I just pause and gush about how much I love Jonathan Joestar and Dio Brando? Because I do. They are great characters. I like the main character is not just your standard strong hero, but also really intelligent and clever. I like how Dio is charming while simultaneously being one of the biggest a-holes in anime history, which is not an easy task to accomplish. I want more.

Also, read my thread. I just posted something for Halloween.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
I feel like the story of Lodoss War is good, not great. But the execution really drags it down. Blandly directed, terribly lazy animation (I laughed in episode 11 toward the end where it shows all the soldiers marching forth on their horses, and the ones in the front are going up and down because their horses are walking, but all of the rows behind them were static), and the dub is your standard New York dub, which means everyone sounds terrible except Lisa Ortiz.

I see the appeal from a critical standpoint though. I hear this is one of the driving forces of fantasy anime, especially for the 90's, and it shows. Everything is clearly reminiscent of a tabletop RPG. I personally haven't been a huge fan of those types of fantasy anime, the Nasuverse aside, but I'd say if you are, this one is pretty alright.

One thing I give it credit for... the music is pretty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 930 of 1061