• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Rewatched Rurouni Kenshin through the Kyoto arc. I don't remember noticing before how radically the character designs change on the journey to Kyoto, but some of them are so extreme they almost look like they stepped out of Virus Buster Serge. Fortunately they return to form once the Kyoto battles begin.

I was also struck by how really good a lot of the animation was (beyond the Kenshin/Saito battle, which still remains one of the best fight scenes in anime). Little things like how some scenes are lit or framed really hold up. And man, whenever Chou would open his other eye, it was practically a jump scare. I'm surprised at how intense his eyes are, considering how ordinary their design seems to be.

Despite all the shounen padding and recapping during the course of the series, RK is still very much worth the time spent with it.

Also checked out Soutai Sekai's first episode. Not sure if this is some sort of test run for a series or what. It's only 16 min and apparently there will only be 2 episodes. But the story is clearly much bigger than they can tell in less than 30 min. runtime. It looked pretty good, if uncomfortably reminiscent of the plot of Gunslinger Stratos.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report:

Finished the Titan-thon a while back, and am starting Season Two. I am very impressed with how the Beast Titan is portrayed in the anime. Somehow, they managed to make him even creepier, especially with the animation. I wonder who voices him in the dub, since I don't think they listed him.

Goal this week- get up Ouran Episode 10 recap (the one with Haruhi's awesome dad, Ryoji/Ranka).

Also, I recently posted my Top Ten Anime Tearjerkers. So...yeah. See you guys soon.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
(beyond the Kenshin/Saito battle, which still remains one of the best fight scenes in anime)

Yeah, I still have to occasionally rewatch that fight scene. It's too awesome. Though I don't like it Kenshin starts doing wall jumps, that doesn't look very... swordsman like.
jaiOtaku

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Welcome to the NHK, it's amazing. I'm currently struggling with social anxiety and the main character also deals with it. It's a dark anime show but it is very realistic. I can definitely recommend it to anyone that is dealing with depression or social anxiety. Hits you right in the feels.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
This sunset I finished watching A Certain Scientific Railgun S. The much-darker part of the show featuring Mikoto's "sisters" made it quite an emotional thrill as she fights valiantly to save them spoiler[from becoming experiment fodder]. It's no wonder why Mikoto has been revered by many within her vicinity...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Though I don't like it Kenshin starts doing wall jumps, that doesn't look very... swordsman like.

Well, his aerial acrobatics are a big part of the Hiten Mitsurugi-ryuu. All that Flying Heaven stuff isn't in there for nothing. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:02 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
This sunset I finished watching A Certain Scientific Railgun S. The much-darker part of the show featuring Mikoto's "sisters" made it quite an emotional thrill as she fights valiantly to save them spoiler[from becoming experiment fodder]. It's no wonder why Mikoto has been revered by many within her vicinity...

What did you think of it compared to the Index version of the story?
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
Besides AOT, Berserk, Kado and Boruto...I am watching Quan Zhi Gao Shou (The King's Avatar). Just recently discovered it and have to say it is easily the best Chinese animation to come out recently. Very watchable. If you like the likes of SAO, Log Horizon etc then you'll enjoy this.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

What did you think of it compared to the Index version of the story?

I haven't watched A Certain Magical Index yet, so I don't have much more to say, other than that I really enjoyed ACSR for its theme of camaraderie.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I've been rewatching Highschool DxD's 1st season. I recently used a quote from it in the quote quessing game and was struck by a sudden urge to rewatch it. It's still good, like I remembered. I'm a weirdo who watches that show for its story so the large amount of fanservice can actually be a bit distracting sometimes. An emotional moment where a character is dying while the main character is crying and holding her hand and talking about the stuff they've still yet to do is mildly ruined by the dying girl's bare breast hanging out for no reason. I do, however, still appreciate the attractive character designs, and the eyecatches are nice too, I guess.

Also been slowly watching the 2nd season of Iron Blooded Orphans, I'm close to the end like 5ish episode left. I think it's better than the 1st season, but somehow it's kind of a slow burn show for me. Also Mass Effect Andromeda's been taking a ton of my time. It has had more character deaths than the 1st season but one really caught me off guard and almost gave me a heart attack. One of my favourite characters getting killed suddenly when I wasn't expecting it at all was really shocking. Yeah, that was my favourite moment in the show and one I'll remember for a long time.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, his aerial acrobatics are a big part of the Hiten Mitsurugi-ryuu. All that Flying Heaven stuff isn't in there for nothing. Very Happy

Oh!... Now it makes sense.. At least wall jumping seems like a useful skill. Sheathing your sword during a sword fight just so that you can unsheathe it again is a lot more silly in a way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
IBO is still on my to-finish list. I kinda stalled out at episode 29, I think because I got overwhelmed with all the new characters and factions on top of all the changes since the end of the first season. I want to finish it, but I might never unless adultswim picks up the second season.

I see what you mean about sheathing the sword to draw it, but is that sillier than sheathing the sword as a move? Very Happy I don't recall him doing it in the anime, but in the manga spoiler[he reverse battou-jutsued so hard it created a sonic boom that paralyzed his opponent. Laughing] I think the stupidest move was Soujirou's "one step short of god-speed" "half a step short of god-speed" thing. God, just speed already.

Is anyone watching the Girl Beats Boys short? I'm loving it, but I desperately want it to be a full length series with full episodes. Still wondering what happened between the ominous kabedon at the end of episode 2 and totally forgetting about it by episode 3.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
The technique of drawing and cutting in one motion shows up in multiple samurai manga and anime, it is not specific to Kenshin. I think it even has a specific name. I'm not sure if it is real or just something various writers pass around though. Regardless, in order to use this technique you have to re sheath your sword between attacks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I think battou jutsu is a real thing, but it would only be effective at the start of a battle. There's something wrong if your opponent gives you time to re-sheathe your sword in the middle of a fight without attacking you while you're doing it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I haven't watched A Certain Magical Index yet, so I don't have much more to say, other than that I really enjoyed ACSR for its theme of camaraderie.

Oh, that sounds like a pretty rare thing, so I am not sure if you were aware that the Sisters arc was first a story in the first season of A Certain Magical Index following Touma's involvement and interactions, while the Railgun version showed Mikoto's involvement and filling in holes. It was an interesting point because there is a bit of difference in tone between the two despite the general same events, but also a way to show how after so many season how much better they could animate and act. You would probably still get something out of watching the Index version.

The 'Sisters' are one of my favourite parts of the franchise. There is also Last Order.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
^
Very interesting info! Smile Looks like I might as well get to watching A Certain Magical Index while the month's slow, then. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 977 of 1061