• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of Aho-girl. I don't find its jokes funny and I wanna strangle Yoshiko whenever she's on screen. Its humour is just really absurd and LOUD and I don't find any of the characters likable. There was that one episode where the girls sneaked into the main dude's room while he was sleeping and Yoshiko or morals committee girl kept almost waking up the dude but Sayaka kept managing to save the situation. That was actually sort of funny. There was also that one episode where they went buying swimsuits and the main dude talked about how Yoshiko or someone is weird and Sayaka somehow managed to turn that against the main dude and make him seem weird as well. That was also mildly funny. Everything else has been lame or eye-roll worthy in my opinion.

I'll still watch it though. Oh, the opening is really cool though. Mostly because I love atsuko's (angela's vocalist) voice
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah, as much as I adore Aho-Girl I totally get why somebody wouldn't like it/not find it funny. ESPECIALLY if you are Finnish and have NO sense of humour! Wink
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
Har har har. At least Aho-Girl probably isn't as bad as My First Girlfriend is a Gal, a show that I'm also watching for some reason.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I dropped Gal after about 7 eppies. It just got too repetitive and I felt the main couple's relationship wasn't going anywhere.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, those are some of the issues I have with it. The main dude's pals are also really annoying in my opinion and constantly disrupt the show with their shenanigans.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I know this makes me a horrible person, but I have to admit I do crack up at the pedophile. He's just so completely unabashed about it. Again, I know it's wrong but I totally snarfed when he found out there would be elementary school girls somewhere and his first thought is, "Maybe one of them will have a sister in kindergarten."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Any other Aho-Girl fans out there?

I am one. I think my favourite bits are the times that Yoshiko's idiocy gets so bad that it comes around as being genius, and or when they actually manage to surprise me despite the expected punchline. And that morals committee girl who has had the jokes of ironically being a deviant, and her reactions when being told the truth. Her interaction has also been quite funny.
MsLadyInASkirt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I've seen clips of Aho-Girl on YouTube, and while the clips are amusing enough, it doesn't look like the sort of show I would sit down and say, "Yeah, I'm enjoying this."

I actually haven't seen clips of the show in the past few weeks because clips of Gamers! have suddenly taken over the Recommended section of my YouTube account.

What I have been watching is Gosick.

I've had my eye on the show for a while now, but it's been sitting on the Plan to Watch portion of my MAL list for about half a century now. The English dub that just came out reminded me that the show exists. Else, it probably would've sat there till the end of time along with the other 8,587 shows on my Plan to Watch list.

Also, I've been meaning to watch/read something that was a mystery recently, so it works.
Akaname

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
MsLadyInASkirt wrote:

What I have been watching is Gosick.

I've had my eye on the show for a while now, but it's been sitting on the Plan to Watch portion of my MAL list for about half a century now. The English dub that just came out reminded me that the show exists. Else, it probably would've sat there till the end of time along with the other 8,587 shows on my Plan to Watch list.

Any other thoughts on Gosick, other than " it exists?" It's also been in my backlog forever. It seems to be right in my wheelhouse, but I can't ever seem to pull the trigger on it.
MsLadyInASkirt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
Akaname wrote:

Any other thoughts on Gosick, other than " it exists?" It's also been in my backlog forever. It seems to be right in my wheelhouse, but I can't ever seem to pull the trigger on it.

I've been enjoying it so far. If you've ever read the Book Girl series, the mysteries, despite not being supernatural in nature, have this supernatural feel to them, and the episodes tend to end on cliffhangers that make me go, "I have to see the next episode."

If I had a complaint, it would be the characters. The protagonist is your typical nice guy, the main heroine is a tsundere, and her brother is a douchbag with a terrible hairdo. They're not unlikeable (aside from the brother), but they're not that memorable, either.

The mysteries are good, but the characters are lacking despite the show's attempts to develop them and reveal their backstories. Like the last two episodes I saw, which focused on the characters, were pretty lacking in substance.

There's also supposed to be a romance budding between the two leads, but I can't support it. There's no chemistry between the two, and personally, I'm rooting for another girl the protagonist is friends with.

However, I know they won't get together because a.) she's barely in the show, b.) the show hasn't shipped them like that so far, and c.) every girl I ever root for loses. Every. Single. Time. Without exception. The only time the girl I rooted for won was in spoiler[Working!!] Aside from that, if I cheer for a girl, the protagonist picks someone else.

tl;dr version:
Watch it for the mysteries, not the characters.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
I just watched Tales from Earthsea and quite enjoyed it. It doesn't seem to be very popular but I don't really care. lol

Seems like Starz Family movie channel is having "Ghibli Day". I turned it off before Ponyo came on though because unlike Earthsea's quiet and intriguing dubbed voice work, I find Ponyo's very loud, childish, and obnoxious. lol Don't even get me started on that ending song....... Rolling Eyes
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
@ Chiibi

Do you have any particular feelings towards Disney's The Black Cauldron? I'm just saying because I noticed that Tales of Earthsea has a lot in common with that movie in regards to concept and criticial reception (dark fantasy that wasn't very well received, but still has its ardent fans). If you haven't seen Black Cauldron, go check it out. You'll probably enjoy it.

Meanwhile, my goal is to complete Ouran Host Club by the end of the month. As of this post, I have four episodes left. Hopefully, by the end of today, it'll be three.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
@ Chiibi

Do you have any particular feelings towards Disney's The Black Cauldron? I'm just saying because I noticed that Tales of Earthsea has a lot in common with that movie in regards to concept and criticial reception (dark fantasy that wasn't very well received, but still has its ardent fans). If you haven't seen Black Cauldron, go check it out. You'll probably enjoy it.

You have great intuition. Anime hyper Yes, I do like that film. It had awesome potential. I just wish the voice-acting was better. :/ The script could also use some rewriting.

Looking forward to the remake....even if it IS live-action.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone feel like the 4th season of Natsume is weaker than the previous ones? I've been watching it and have been bored or outright annoyed at some stuff for like half of the episodes so far.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Been watching Fruits Basket. Overall, a good show but it isn't quite what I expected. Being an over the top slice of life inverted harem comedy. Its shoujo sense of humor does not quite appeal to me that well. But overall good show with memorable characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 988 of 1061