• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Oh! No! I just remembered my real complaint! There's a horrible dream sequence where Shirou is getting molested by Rin for no reason. Rin turns into Sakura and Shirou wakes up. Why does this happen? No idea and it would have been best to leave it out of the movie entirely. Overall I give it a 7.5/10. It's good, and it really could've been an 8 if it got to the juicy parts of this arc.

Memory fails me, but is that the part of the VN where spoiler[Rider is somewhat secretly making him have wet dreams for 'magic'?] I mostly remember that part 'cause in the VN Sakura actually asks you who you were dreaming of and when you're sincere her disappointment is incredibly funny and sad at the same time.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Oh! No! I just remembered my real complaint! There's a horrible dream sequence where Shirou is getting molested by Rin for no reason. Rin turns into Sakura and Shirou wakes up. Why does this happen? No idea and it would have been best to leave it out of the movie entirely. Overall I give it a 7.5/10. It's good, and it really could've been an 8 if it got to the juicy parts of this arc.

Memory fails me, but is that the part of the VN where spoiler[Rider is somewhat secretly making him have wet dreams for 'magic'?] I mostly remember that part 'cause in the VN Sakura actually asks you who you were dreaming of and when you're sincere her disappointment is incredibly funny and sad at the same time.

That sounds about right. I'm a little surprised that he dreamt of Rin and not Sakura or Saber if that's the case, considering that he barely knows Rin. I dunno if I think the succubus dreams were worth keeping in the final cut of the movie though.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I finally started watching The Tatami Galaxy. Pretty amazing so far. Yuasa has failed to let me down because his work has been nearly perfect. I love Mind Game, Kaiba and Kemonozume. I have been a big fan of his work since I was a teenager in High School in the mid 2000's.

The anime that I have watched this year so far. I didn't watch much compare due to time and money.

Perfect Blue (re watch) - Masterpiece
Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor - Excellent
Nausica of the Valley of the Wind (re watch) - Excellent
Your Name - Excellent
Bubblegum Crisis (re watch) - Very good
Devilman OVAs (re watch) - Very good
Record of Lodoss War OVA - Very good
Silent Mobius Movie 1 (re watch) - Very good
Silent Mobius 2 (re watch) - Very good
Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie (re watch) - Very good
8 Man After (re watch) - Good
A.D Police OVA (re watch) - Good
Babel II OVA - Good
Demon City Shinjuku (re watch) - Good
Guy: Double Target - Good (It's pure trashy fun)
KonoSuba - Good
Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight - Good
Spriggan - Good
Angel Densetsu - Decent (I would stick with the manga for now)
Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 - Decent
Bubblegum Crash - So-so

I drop Tokyo Ghoul after 7 episodes and I consider it to be a "Not very good" rating.

Last edited by Spawn29 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
LunaPrecure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Currently watching Urusei Yatsura and seasonal series. I think that Urusei Yatsura is Rumiko Takahashi’s best work, from what I’ve seen. I also really liked Maison Ikkoku, but the characters in Urusei Yatsura seem to have a greater appeal to me and the satire is more tasteful than the later Takahashi works.

I started watching Tara Tari on Crunchyroll and it’s awful. It’s like Glasslip levels of awful. So far, the only P.A. Works shows that I’ve enjoyed have been: Shirobako, Hanasaku Iroha, and True Tears. And two out of three of those are nothing but trashy drama, albeit enjoyable.

My boyfriend and I bought tickets to see Heaven’s Feel on December 4th. Hope we’ll have a fun time!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I finally started watching The Tatami Galaxy. Pretty amazing so far. Yuasa has failed to let me down because his work has been nearly perfect.

It's fortunate that you're able to enjoy it! I've just seen the first episode now, as it was recently made available my region.
It's a highly verbose, dynamic and challenging thing to get through; hardly easy-going on the viewer's part. Unless I can be content that it'll become gentler in pace, such that I am given enough time to appreciate its pensiveness and creativity, then it might not be in my best interests to continue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tigertabs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Been watching Kamigami no Asobi which a friend told me about 2 years ago. The show is about a girl who has to teach gods from different mythologies about humanity. This is because the ties between the god realm and the human realm have grown weak. It is rather funny and i highly recommend this show if you like mythology and if you like harem anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I love Kamigami no Asobi! Afaik, it's the only otome adaptation I own. I especially enjoyed Thoth's epic kabe-dons and the weekly "Where's Anubis?" game. Smile Also, best class play ever.

I tried 3 times to get through Tatami Galaxy, without success. Third time I think I got to episode 5 or 6, and just didn't see the point of continuing. Instead I'd recommend The Night is Short, Walk On Girl, which was written by Tomihiko Morimi of Eccentric Family fame, and adapted by Yuasa's Science Saru gang. It's fun, easy to follow, and as batshit crazy as you'd expect.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I love Kamigami no Asobi! Afaik, it's the only otome adaptation I own. I especially enjoyed Thoth's epic kabe-dons and the weekly "Where's Anubis?" game. Smile Also, best class play ever.

Indeed, the play is hilarious, with great use of the characters.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I tried 3 times to get through Tatami Galaxy, without success. Third time I think I got to episode 5 or 6, and just didn't see the point of continuing.

Wait, someone other than me has trouble getting through Tatami Galaxy?
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I finish The Tatami Galaxy the other night and it was probably one of the best anime that I have ever seen. It's so amazing that I can't explain how good it is. This anime blew my mind and left an impact on me after it was over. After it was over, I wanted to watch it again.

I love the characters and the art style. We don't get many avant-garde anime these days, so seeing something experimental in this day of age is always nice. I have seen Masaaki Yuasa's other anime before we did The Tatami Galaxy and I feel like this is his best animated TV series yet next to Kemonozume (I do need to rewatch that anime as well since I have not seen since I was a teenager in High School back in 2007 when I was 16).

The Tatami Galaxy masterpiece of storytelling, but not in the traditional sense. I love how each episode technically covers the same space of time with different situations from different sides of the main character. Each episode had me asking for more and more because I love how the story was told in the anime. Not to mention the themes of the main character going through college life is something that I also love about this anime.

As a 26-year-old college student, I can feel through the stress that the main character has went through. He feels like his good amount of his life has been wasted, is trying to fit in with different social clubs and trying to find the perfect love one in life. It's almost like they try to put my life in someone's shoes because I have went through similar situation a s the main character in this anime.

Overall, The Tatami Galaxy is amazing and I don't want to spoil anything else about this anime. This anime you have to see it to believe it. I feel like everyone should check out The Tatami Galaxy because it shows that you can create an intelligent anime without being obnoxious. It's too bad that we never got a home video release of The Tatami Galaxy in the US. I give The Tatami Galaxy a rare 10/10 rating.

I don't think an anime has made an instantaneous impact on me since I saw Perfect Blue when I was a teenager in High School. Masaaki Yuasa is one of the very few people in the anime industry next to Makoto Shinkai that is making high art while the other popular anime directors are either retire or dead (Satoshi Kon and Osamu Dezaki) in my opinion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
I just watched something called Sorcery in the Big City, a 40 minute special that showed up on Crunchyroll. Actually can't find anything on the encyclopedia on this site, except for a news article, crediting it as being done by BBK/BRNK's director, which is cool because I consider myself a pretty big fan of that show. I can probably say I can feel it in the special too, which generally feels like it wanted to have some fun with Christmas and the like with New York city and magic. Had the same kind of goofy characters, along with those who are generally kind hearted. Maybe go to the point that the story at times is a little strange, suspension of disbelief a little, but in the end it feels like it was all in good fun.

The animation is also pretty fantastic, keeps going along the lines of using 3d models in a way that can look quite a bit like 2D animation, and something I have grown to find quite charming. As a general idea, including aesthetically, I reminded of how I had hopes after BBK'BRNK's second season with ID-0, but ended up a bit disappointed at not living up to my expectations, but this actually kind of lived up to it, although like idea squished into a 40 minute movie.

I enjoyed it, and half to make sure to mark it down when an encyclopedia page gets made. For a rating, I give a Good (7/10), I do think it is good, but marred down a bit for trying to fit a lot into a short time frame.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:22 am Reply with quote
Watching season two of Kaiji right now. I love Season one and I have high hopes for Season two.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
I'm watching the Kiss Sis OVAs.

I'm enjoying them.

And I'm not even ashamed of it.

OK, I am a little bit. Embarassed
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Just got back from watching it.
In some ways, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. In other ways, it caused me to rant and rave for an hour after coming out. spoiler[They turned it into a goddamn zombie movie. wtf??]

Anyone else watch it?[/spoiler]
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
Progress Report

I am having a severe case of writer's block/depression that is keeping me from doing anything important. I really want to watch Haibane Renmei and Code Geass, but my addled brain refuses to let me. Sad
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:45 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I am having a severe case of writer's block/depression that is keeping me from doing anything important. I really want to watch Haibane Renmei and Code Geass, but my addled brain refuses to let me. Sad

That must be awful. Focus on getting through each day for the time being—as much as Haibane Renmei has a cathartic, healing effect on the viewer, an unbuoyant mood could hinder anyone's enjoyment of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 995 of 1060