• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I finish Kaiji Season 2 and I thought Season 2 was almost as good as Season 1. My biggest issue with Kaiji Season 2 was that I feel like there was not enough psychological thrills & games revolving around quick cunning & dangerous high stakes compare to the first Season. Not to mention the last arc with Kaiji trying to win the Bog pachinko went on for too long. I'm also not a fan of Otsuki, he was pretty meh compare to Seiya Ichijou. I like Seiya Ichijou for being a fun villain.

Kaiji Season 2 was still great though and I'm glad that I watch this franchise. It's a shame that Season 3 is not going to happen anytime soon, but at least Season 2 had a good ending though.
AnthonyOdaniel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
Add +1 for Haibane Renmei from my side too.

Last edited by AnthonyOdaniel on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I am watching Cromartie Highschool. I loved it's very "macho" style. It's so funny in that sarcastic Japanese way.

I liked it from being different from the usual "cutesy" style that is so predominant in current anime.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Progress Report

I am having a severe case of writer's block/depression that is keeping me from doing anything important. I really want to watch Haibane Renmei and Code Geass, but my addled brain refuses to let me. Sad

Try watching Himouto Umaru Chan to cheer up!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Zipped thru 4 ep of Dynamic Chord at 2x speed. The people behind this have absolutely no shame when it comes to doing everything possible to avoid actually animating anything. Smile

(imagine at full screen)

This was the ending frame of no less than 8 full seconds of slow zoom into what I began to fear was going to be a closeup of the veins in his eye. Very Happy It just kept going and going and going (only broken by another 4 seconds of zooming in on the eyes of the person he was staring at), and by the time they switched off to a different static shot, I was laughing my ass off. And they had the balls to repeat the entire sequence in the next episode! Laughing

At least apple-polisher finally got a couple episodes, but alas, no discernible singing from my boi-TOi.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Zipped thru 4 ep of Dynamic Chord at 2x speed. The people behind this have absolutely no shame when it comes to doing everything possible to avoid actually animating anything. Smile

(imagine at full screen)

This was the ending frame of no less than 8 full seconds of slow zoom into what I began to fear was going to be a closeup of the veins in his eye. Very Happy It just kept going and going and going (only broken by another 4 seconds of zooming in on the eyes of the person he was staring at), and by the time they switched off to a different static shot, I was laughing my ass off. And they had the balls to repeat the entire sequence in the next episode! Laughing

At least apple-polisher finally got a couple episodes, but alas, no discernible singing from my boi-TOi.

I appreciate updates such as this. After my burn out a while back, I could not get myself to watch boy idol or boyband anime anymore.

I think that there was something a couple weeks back with Wake Up Girls that had some particularly bad animation, the sort of thing it becomes obvious that the person on screen is a mostly static image of whoever is not speaking at a time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:56 am Reply with quote
I really have never seen anything like this. 85% of the run time is pan left, pan right, tilt up/down, zoom in/out on completely static shots. The performances are more dynamic, in that the pans, tilts and zooms are done...faster! It makes Bee Train look like KyoAni.

And of course even when they do animate something, they skip inbetweens like crazy and are off-model as often as not. The Anime Club in Animegataris did a better job of animating their show than this.

It's so bad it got its own news item here. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's so bad it got its own news item here. Smile

That is amazing. Sometimes I get an odd fascination of hearing about horrible quirks even in something like anime that I should be hoping for the best. Somewhat makes me think of a clip I was watching recently from Monthly Shoujo Nozoki-kun where he tries to cover up some of his art flaws with boxes.

And yet you still see shows about making anime where it can make a point about how much effort the people can put into making things and how much it can hurt when the thing they make did not turn out too well and gets criticised.

But also think, at the same time this show is existing, you also have something like Land of the Lustrous.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I'm watching the Kiss Sis OVAs.

I'm enjoying them.

That was premature.

In my defense, I was still at the part where the side characters weren't around. For six episodes, you have a sometimes funny, mostly actually pretty erotic tale of two girls who really want to bang a dude. I'm in for that - it doesn't feel like the show's exploiting the girls by having shit like falling over and grabbing a boob or anything like that. These people wanna bang their sibling, and that's it.

And then the bad parts start. You get a bad case of a bad stereotype with the teacher, who in her first sexy scene has everyone falling over each other to get into an exploitable position. The loli feels pointless as her character is basically Riko but smaller. The blue-haired one is the Piss Girl I'd been hearing about and aside from that she has absolutely nothing going for her. Episodes focusing on these were painful to watch.

Still, as a dick-wetting show, I think you could do worse. Not many of those can say they were good for half of its run.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
Alright, I just watched episode 10 of My Girlfriend is Shobitch (Boku no Kanojo ga Majime Sugiru Shobitch na Ken), and it seems that it was the last TV episode with OVA or OAD to come, so it looks like one of the shows finished at only 10 episodes.

I will come right from the start just to say that I think the title is really unfortunate, especially in English, because the word "bitch" has certain derogatory feelings when in reference to especially a female (character). But in Japanese as far as I understand it is a little closer to saying "slut", but not quite, in that the title of this show specifically is how the female character can get hot and bothered, but single focused in loyalty to her boyfriend, and generally makes a lot of dirty jokes. And really I don't think she was a horrible character, I would not even really say disrespectful, with many of the jokes in the show being her making some funny assumption about kinks the main character has, and maybe her taking advantage of some sexual innuendo for a joke, or the rest of the cast doing so.

In practice My Girlfriend is Shobitch plays out quite a lot like Seitokai Yakuindo, a lot of female characters making innuendo jokes without anything really serious happening. Much unlike something like My First Girlfriend is a Gal, nothing in it really comes across as mean, generally all the characters are treated with respect and it is not like it has anything like fear of their sexuality. Some of the funniest jokes being when I think she was trying to do something like play dom. Although there was the possible slight uncomfortable parts with I think making a clear gay character be a bit too aggressive, but it had a fun joke where the main character was completely blind to the innuendos against his usual straight man role and very friendly to him, with the heroine worried about him being lured away.

I would otherwise say it was not as great as Seitokai Yakuindomo, the animation being lesser quality, maybe not as clever writing, and more panty shots are shown. But perhaps positive is that it was an actual dating anime with an official couple, and despite the clear harem like set up, there really was no drama. It did have a couple other funny bits too, like an innocent character who accidentally gets wrapped up in pervert things, like one point spoiler[buying chocolate flavoured condoms as a snack for the class, after talking herself down that she was just mistaken that it was anything lewd], although clearly super embarrassing we don't see it actually go down. And my favourite character being the biggest pervert, a girl who spoiler[looks fairly wholesome before her super voyeur tendencies show].

Anyway, I give a rating of Decent (6/10), it is really nothing really that amazing, but if you can enjoy a good dirty jokes anime similar to Seitokai Yakuindomo, I think you might still enjoy your time and find it worth watching. And hey, anime where it has characters dating instead of playing the will they or won't they, or with whom, although it still played a bit of the later one for jokes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
Just watched and finished the last episode of Infini-T Force. It will probably not be the case for everyone, but man did I find this show boring. Maybe it would be a case of really needing to being familiar of the material that this was crossing over with each other, because the most I was familiar of with Gatchaman was the pretty different recent reboot.

My biggest complaint would probably be to the heroine, Emi, a girl who spends the majority of the show expressing that she does not at all care about other worlds ending, like the biggest downer, and then at the end she somehow becomes super positive. My complaints extend to things like I have no idea what is going on with her school uniform, I thought maybe she was maybe ins some sort of idol academy or something, they are incredibly gaudy for uniforms, and it seems the girls spend a good amount of time in some sort of makeup room, like did not make sense to actually be a school. Emi really did not look like a teenager either. She did have a journey of character growth, but it really was not compelling at all. Like one part was that she was being absolutely horribly to her friend, and then freaking out when something happens, like she would actually deserve to do as such. The reason for that was not exactly a positive thing, it being spoiler[that more worlds had to be sacrificed or people would disappear], and that does not really resolve the ending.

I have watched a lot of anime, but the final climax was really having my eyes roll with how the heroes just seemed to be throwing around platitudes. This is after Emi returned the world destroying device so he could reap more worlds, pretty much being a part of horrible things that happen. And somehow in the end they are talking about things like she is a hero because she would never give up and stuff, but none of that felt like something she actually showed. There is nothing really in her character that she would sacrifice things and devote herself to justice like the guys..

The CGI was not bad, just largely uninspired, that you feel like that you might as well just watch people. Probably the most you could get out of it were the super fights, and I think especially the villains, all of which could go from pretty cool to being incredibly annoying obnoxious way. Honestly there just really was not very much creative, that where I might have been a bit interested at the start, I just lost all interest in the central relationship. I give a rating of Weak (3/10), maybe sounds harsh, but comes from a place that I really wish I did something better with my time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:26 am Reply with quote
Next a short episode length series, Love is Like a Cocktail, which had its 12 and I presume last episode. I was not watching it at first, but I got a recommendation after I went to a get together at a bar where I am normally a non-drinker and had some fun with some cocktails as recommendations from others there.

I guess it was kind of cute, a married couple anime where the wife is the bread winner. Only that had already been kind of done with I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying, and I sort of liked some of the spunk there compared to the wife in this one being a bit iffy. Sort of like how I think her relationship was with alcohol, her more infantizing than I think any meaningful part of her character shown, and she keeps it secret like she is pretty ashamed of it. Makes me think of in comparison to another series that happens to be by the same mangaka as I can't Understand, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, where we indeed see the heroine does not always make good decisions or behaviour while drunk, but there is much more of a window of it being a part of the heroine's personality with a stress relief. Maybe they are not any real difference, but there just kind of feels like one where one series has the heroine dare not even let anyone know she occasionally has a drink, and avoids the social aspect because she cannot trust herself, while the other is at least shown to actually kind of enjoy a social element to it and be darned she might not act the best.

There is a difference when the power dynamic in this show has the couple act as bartender and patron, even if it is maybe reversed with breadwinner and housekeeper. While Kobayashi had this. Ironic in how that relationship otherwise plays the part of. But the show was still cute, I thought some info about different drinks was also interesting. It was also generally about 3 minutes long an episode, so it is not like there was much story to go on. I give it a rating of Decent (6/10), saved by its short length that does not make it much of an investment.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Watching Crying Freeman right now. I saw it on VHS back when I was 8 or 9 in 1999 or 2000, but never seen the last two episodes. I remember Streamline Pictures never finish dubbing the anime at the time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
The best part of Infini-T Force was the dude who, in Rebecca's immortal words, "looks like David Bowie in Labyrinth skinned a flamingo and draped it over his head," and staked out the bowling alley as his turf. Very Happy And Friender. Friender always makes everything better. Everything else you said, a thousand times yes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The best part of Infini-T Force was the dude who, in Rebecca's immortal words, "looks like David Bowie in Labyrinth skinned a flamingo and draped it over his head," and staked out the bowling alley as his turf. Very Happy And Friender. Friender always makes everything better. Everything else you said, a thousand times yes.

Takeshi!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote
Urahara is the next one I have finished, with its last level, this is what happens when there is so much shows I watch and don't make something threads for them in the proper areas.

Anyway, I was kind of interested in the show just by its promotional art, it looked creative and filled with a personality that could be pretty cute. Unfortunately I did not end up liking it that much. I can probably attribute a bit to the fact that I don't think I just got the charm, that the series had this sort of internal logic that runs off of the charm of its art, and the rest of the art of the series is not as sophisticated as just the initial impression you get from looking at the promotional art. I think I said somewhere that the logic in the show was like I was in a dream, that I was really tiered and was going by dream logic. For instance there is this one plot point early in the show where the town is spoiler[covered in a force field, and the girls don't know why, when clearly the magic giant floating parfait that appeared before the field appeared could be what is creating it]. The characters think like kids, and talk about random things of interest to their teenage girl who wants to be trendy, as if it is the literal logic that the world works by.

It is maybe especially telling when one of the main trio is the designated smart one, who is always analysing things by using her tablet. But it can be really weird when you realise that the supposed really nerdy talk really is not that sophisticated, it can be obvious, maybe feel like not outside of common logic, totally random with big words thrown in to sound smart, and confusing how she is actually doing things. It is like how smart characters in other shows or movies that an actual really smart person would probably see through them as just kind of written by people not so and just to sound smart, but you could probably expect most normal people to see through this character here, that her smart thing is nothing special or just complete nonsense.

It can work when something like an anime can work by its own logic, but it felt kind of flat when that logic was lets make clothes that are in right now, being smart is working a tablet, and being an artist was shown with art that was always a good click down from the art in this series that was not very impressive anyway. I still do not understand how the store these three teenage girls I think actually owned worked. One character made clothes very specific to her interest (apparently copied), one drew pictures, and the other did "smart" things.

I don't want to be entirely down on it, as there were some moments that were actually strong, one being when saw these girls join together to make their style team (not hero team), where we got some insight into the insecurities of these characters. And a big twist of fate. But didn't these girls think it was really weird to kill and turn these sentient aliens into food, where they would eat them after I guess picking the food off the ground? A bunch of known alien animals also appeared from this method somehow, where they just kind of acted as weird simple mascots. Even spoiler[people appearing like they did should raise questions, before the reveal that they were not real], which was otherwise a pretty good thematic reveal later on.

The show was just sort of weird, and I feel like in a way that just did not fit into my demographic, while I think that I saw that others may have felt it resonated much better. Regardless I give a rating of So-so (5/10), it generally did not grab my attention that much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 996 of 1061