• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Chrono Crusade right now and have a stack of about 20 other titles that I have to get through due to my greediness at a few TSRI sales since October. Rolling Eyes

While I've seen CC before, I'm enjoying seeing it again because it is so good but while I love this series, I hate the ending. Even though it's the best possible ending. Crying or Very sad

I'll have to make sure the Kleenix box is full. I'll need it on this one!
drakonslair

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Excel Saga at the moment and I am very disappointed.

I just cant get into this. I get the references ( most at least ) but the comedy does nothing for me. I realise its a parody series but it just didn't work for me. With all the hype related to it I have to say it was a big let down.
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
drakonslair wrote:
Excel Saga at the moment and I am very disappointed.

I just can't get into this. I get the references ( most at least ) but the comedy does nothing for me. I realise its a parody series but it just didn't work for me. With all the hype related to it I have to say it was a big let down.

I hear you 100%. Parody shows like Special Duty Combat Unit Shinesman are a lot of fun for me, but Excel Saga was just plain terrible. I'm not sure who enjoys lots of annoying screaming, but it's certainly not me.

Currently I'm re-watching Azumanga Daioh for the third time. I just can't see to get enough of this show. Even when I'm not laughing out loud I'm still enjoying it a lot. I really wish it had been continued further.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora Eps 1 & 2: This ranks as the first series ever where I have been following the series from the beginning as the episodes are being screened on Japanese TV, & then subsequently fansubbed, usually within a matter of days (Strawberry Panic! doesn't really count as over 3/4 of that series had been screened before I started following it). I haven't picked out this series on a whim though, like I normally do; ostensibly touted as the "spiritual successor" to Kannazuki no Miko on another board I'm a member of, this is another Kaishaku creation, with the two main leads in KnM making cameo appearances in this new series.
Have to say that so far, this series is rather bland. The character drama is lacking when compared to it's predecessor, & the whole way the series is being played out is very cliche at the moment. There are only two reasons why I am gonna stick with this series;

a). the mecha - I hated the mecha sections in KnM because all the battles were uninspired & formulaic to the point of tedium. Not so in Kyoshiro though; very fresh looking IMO.
b). the cameos of Chikane/Kaon & Himeko/Himiko - spoiler[it looks like their relationship is as tortured as it was in KnM (I'm a sucker for angsty shoujo-ai relationships).] Is it wrong to follow a series purely for the secondary characters? Anime hyper
pingieking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Just finished up Gankutsuou, and I have to say it is probably the best anime I've ever seen. Other than the occasional head ache inducing art, I couldn't find anything to criticize. However, the cause for headaches is because the art to too good. two best examples are the scenes of spoiler[Haydee showing off her dress entering the opera house, and the mecha duel scenes.] Both those scenes are masterpieces of CG and design.

Now moving on to The Third. So far (7 episodes in) it has been more or less a so-so series. Nothing too good or bad about it. After The Third, I'll be moving on to Berserk.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I just started Kiddy Grade two days ago actually but I haven't gotten very far due to my work schedule.

I'm enjoying this one so far. I do have some questions about a few things that have been said by various characters but, due to some things I remember reading in Animerica and here, I do believe that my questions will be answered.

I'm really looking forward to see how this one unfolds.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I started up on Berserk this week, but have only managed to get through the first five episodes so far Sad. I can see where the favorable opinion for it is coming from; on top of that, I find some of the character names themselves intriguing, as a good deal of them seem allegorical in nature, and I'd like to find out whether my initial thoughts on them pan out. On top of that, I do want to see what led to first episode ending as it did spoiler[with Guts killing Griffith]. Hopefully, I'll get some answers as the series progresses.

By and by, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this one wraps up.

On the pile after that, it'll probably be Someday's Dreamers or Moldiver (I've been in a sort-of retro mode in terms of anime lately, but this is getting a smidge ridiculous Laughing)
animefreak86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Ohhhh Fushugi Yugi is a really great series! I would also recomend Ayashi No Ceres by the same writer but I would watch the Japanese dubbing with English subtitles if I were you. Anyways... I just finished rewatching Ayashi No Ceres (Ceres Celestial Legend) the other day for the first time in Japanese with English subtitles. The English voice actors suck. I guess what I really have been watching more of lately is all of the Hayou Miyazaki movies. I am so impressed with his stories they are so imaginative and dynamic. His art work is not out of the ordinary but it is nearly flawless. All of his movies for the most part are consistantly equal in quality and they all give you that warm fuzzy feeling you get when watching good movies. My favorite movie he has made is his most recent Howls Moving Castle. Howls Moving Castle is so my favorite movie at the moment and when I watch it I always want to cry for no reason. I guess because the movie is so extremely cute. My other Howl Miyazaki favorites are Castle in the Sky, Nausica, and My Neighbor Totoro. Spirited Away is ranked up there with the better than average animes but it is not my favorite. The two movies I didn't like as much by Hayou Myazaki were Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Monoke (don't shoot me down for this please cus I know this is an anime classic). Also I read this manga the other day that I think was called Space Boy or something that was truly amazing.
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Right now I am rewatching Berserk mostly because I am in the mood to see something gory. On first disk right now.

Venus Versus Virus becuase it is one of the new series of 07 and it grabed my attention with the encyclopedia entry. First episode is all that is out.

Sakura Diaries: this one was preferred to me by one of my internet friends and so far I think it is pretty funny which is a good balance with Berserk. On third episode.

Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora: this one is just like Kannazuki No Miko which is a good thing it has been pretty fun to watch so far.

Ghost hunt: I am currently on episode 8 it is a series based on a Psychic reserach team that go around investgating and excercising spirits. It has some serious moments and some funny moments, it deffently surprises you at times. Most of the arcs start out calm but get more and more serious and that really brings you in to the story.
Asako

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Trinity Blood on DVD. I'm starting to organize my DVDs and clean up my place so I'm watching them as I go. Figured I'd open the box so I can put dvds 2 and 3 in there too. So I watched whatever I could so far (eps 1-12).

Probably will work on Basilisk next because it has a box to be opened too so I can put dvds 2-4 the rest in there. Along with Speed Grapher. WEE!!
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Worlds strongest fighter Kenichi It seems like it goes into the Sumomomo momo momo and Kyou Kara mao, but I like this more then both. That house of martial artists would make me crap myself everyday and night almost non-stop. So much fecies.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:44 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I just started Kiddy Grade two days ago actually but I haven't gotten very far due to my work schedule.

I'm enjoying this one so far. I do have some questions about a few things that have been said by various characters but, due to some things I remember reading in Animerica and here, I do believe that my questions will be answered.

I'm really looking forward to see how this one unfolds.

I think I know what lines you're talking about, and if I'm right, then rest assured that those questions will indeed be answered. Although, there are a few parts in Kiddy Grade that won't make sense unless you keep watching til the end. You'll know what I'm referring to once you've seen it Wink
DaZ616

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
Im watching Bleach again now, why?

spoiler[CAUSE THE FILLERS ENDED!!!!~]

-DaZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Zamurai-Tactician

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
I am currently watching:

Black Lagoon; Mainly because I needed something freshly enjoying with twisted comedy. I LOOOOOOOOOVE Revy too, which makes me enjoy this anime so much more! I'm almost watching 6 episodes a day, which was how I was with Samurai Champloo. On episode: 13

Gun Grave: Due to a recommendation I started to watch it a while ago, but just was coming home TOO late from work to enjoy it, so I fell asleep every time I watched it. So no I'm back @ university, I finally have the chance to start watching it from scratch. On episode 3 or 4

Basilisk: Only on episode 3 because I have stopped watching it, and started to read the manga which I am enjoying so much more. I might watch it after I finished the manga, but the release dates aren't too smile rendering, so I might pick it up again after the weekend and my exam week. On episode 4

Afro Samurai: Was anticipating this to drop on TV from the day I saw it announced on ANN! Really enjoying it so far, just a little confused on only five 20 or so minute episodes

But 24 starts over here in England on Sunday, so I need to cram in so much watching before Sunday comes! Twisted Evil
Monumension

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
2007 so far looks like it's going to be the a big year for manga and anime. I've just watched the whole 74-episode Monster-anime since I have no patience and didn't want to wait for Viz' ongoing release of the mangabooks. From what I hear the anime sounds like a relatively close adaptation of the manga so I didn't mind spoiling it all in one weekend. Great series btw.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 1061