• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:45 am Reply with quote
Rewatched Anohana with the dub this time and a friend. My friend told me that she wouldn't cry, and she hasn't cried with anything we watched prior (Princess Tutu, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Gurren Lagann, Baccano, Black Lagoon, Durarara, Evangelion (Rebuild movies), Fate/Stay Night (2006 + 2014), and I'm sure a few others that slipped my mind), and it was certainly rewarding to see her eyes water a bit as she said "God dammit Louis." I was snickering.

As for the dub, it's good. I think Yukiatsu is weak, Menma is pretty good (though the sub is better), and Jintan is decent. The two roles that the dub excelled at were Popo and Anaru. The script was also perfectly fine, though I think the "Are you ready" screaming during the hide and seek toward the end should have been replaced with a more American "Come on out~!" Just my take on it. Still a 10/10, and if you hadn't seen the sub already, you won't notice the little things that I disliked about the dub.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:55 am Reply with quote
Been watching Libra of Nil Admirari - it's stupid but mostly harmless. What brings me here today is this image from the latest episode:

Can someone explain to me what's going on with his suspenders? Is there like a hole in the back of his shirt so he can clip it to his pants? Is it clipped to his pants and his shirt? Is it just hooked to his shirt? If so, what keeps the shirt from riding up and his pants from falling down? Given its function, I really don't think suspenders is a fashion item you can wear with an untucked shirt, is it?
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote
lol. To me it looks like the suspenders are clipped to his pants and his shirt. I never wear suspenders but I'd say that dude is just doing it wrong or the animators had a brainfart.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report

Hey guys I wrote a thing on Devilman Crybaby go read and comment it would mean a lot to me also I'm watching HeroAca and have only just realized Katsuki Bakugou is an excellent commentary on toxic masculinity and the harmful effects it has on boys yes I just had coffee why do you ask?
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid is the most fun I've had watching an anime in a while. I thought the concept of a lesbian dragon maid who lusts after her master (mistress in this case) would be annoying and get old fast. THANKFULLY, this show had the good graces to make Tohru outgrow her more annoying aspects and made her crush on Kobayashi more endearing than anything else. Those two are adorable and I guess you could list this as one of the few anime couples I actually care about.

Kanna and Shouta are both adorable, Luccoa, like Tohru, I thought would be incredibly annoying and get old fast, but ended up being an endearing character (her relationship with Shouta feels more motherly than anything else, which I loved), Kobayashi is a little standard, though at least she's fun when she's drunk, and Fafnir was an underutilized, but great character. An immortal psychopath who views all human as lowly scum good for nothing but killing... becomes addicted to video games and writing doujinshi? Why wouldn't I love this anime!?

I give it a high 8/10. 8.5-8.8, but not a 9. Sadly, I can't give the scores on here much clarity, so it'll probably have to remain at an 8.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Been watching Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katori no Nazotoki File (the shoujo version, not the Professor). It's...ok? The stories are usually heartwarming in the end, and even with the sometimes outlandish solutions are generally pretty obvious. At least it's a change of pace from Conan's weekly murders.

This week there was a bank robbery (cash only), and while showing them the vault, their guide pointed out that aside from cash, the vault stores gold and people's valuables in safe deposit boxes...which he proceeds to open without a key to show them the jewelry contents. I wonder if their clients realize the locks are apparently just for show? Smile
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:17 am Reply with quote
I've started watching Haikyuu!!. It's a show that has kinda been on my mind for a long time but I had just never gotten around to watching it. Well, after finishing Kuroko's Basketball season 3 I felt like I was still in the mood for some hot-blooded sports anime action. I'm 10 episodes in and I like it so far. The volleyball matches are well animated and they look really cool. Seeing Hinata slam that ball in the ground looks and sounds cool. I like Hinata as a character. He is energetic, cheerful and goofy in a fun way. He goes well with the more serious Kageyama. The show can occasionally be a bit funny as well.

I feel like the show has been a lot about building a team and developing its cast so far which is understandable but I would like to see some more volleyball action because the volleyball action is fun.

As a side note I like the animated eyecatches.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
So... yeah. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid was actually really good. It's a shame MAL is having a bit of an oopsie right now. I also watched the 0079 trilogy movies of Gundam with some friends to introduce them to the series. They liked it fine, which was my response to it as well. Gundam just isn't the type of show that I think non-mecha fans can truly get into. I enjoy it as a sort of intellectual thing more so than a truly great show that I enjoy, much like Ghost in the Shell. I still think Char is a great character though. I'd more recommend people check out the OVAs and films of Gundam than I would an actual series.

I've been mostly watching non-anime lately. Duck Tales 2017 is one of the few currently-airing Western Animated shows that has been able to make me laugh. Something that I can say for it and not "Star Vs The Forces of Evil," which I appreciate more than I like. This exchange from Duck Tales 2017 made me laugh more than I have at a kid's cartoon in a while.

Gizmo Duck: WE DID IT! WE'RE ALIVE! WOOHOO!

Launchpad: Aww... It must be someone's first car crash.

Not to mention the mystery, uncertainty, genuine emotion in character interactions (you truly feel like the love between these characters is sincere, which is something I can't say about most kids shows these days), a true sense of danger (no one will die of course, but given the seriousness of the show, it isn't afraid to make characters... 'go away,'), and a cool anti-role model in the form of old man Scrooge McDuck. It's basically the second coming of Gravity Falls, and I can't wait for more serious, plot-focused episodes to start showing up.

Most of the anime I've been watching were just rewatches with friends, an extra episode of My Hero Academia, Full Metal Panic, Steins;Gate 0, and whatever else I'm keeping up with, and the first episode of Gundam Wing.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I've been mostly watching non-anime lately. Duck Tales 2017 is one of the few currently-airing Western Animated shows that has been able to make me laugh. Something that I can say for it and not "Star Vs The Forces of Evil," which I appreciate more than I like. This exchange from Duck Tales 2017 made me laugh more than I have at a kid's cartoon in a while.

Gizmo Duck: WE DID IT! WE'RE ALIVE! WOOHOO!

Launchpad: Aww... It must be someone's first car crash.

Not to mention the mystery, uncertainty, genuine emotion in character interactions (you truly feel like the love between these characters is sincere, which is something I can't say about most kids shows these days), a true sense of danger (no one will die of course, but given the seriousness of the show, it isn't afraid to make characters... 'go away,'), and a cool anti-role model in the form of old man Scrooge McDuck. It's basically the second coming of Gravity Falls, and I can't wait for more serious, plot-focused episodes to start showing up.

I too am a major fan of Ducktales 2017. I can't wait to see where it's going next, but I don't want to spoil anything for anyone on here who hasn't caught up.

I'm even more psyched for tomorrow's episode of the MHA simul-broadcast. Apparently, it's going to be really important. I also need to work on my recap of the second episode of Devilman Crybaby (please read and comment on my thread it would mean everything). Also, I need to brush up on my iambic pentameter skills.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone else watching Amanchu! Season 2? Because, for a show that first season had its place as a down to earth story about learning to be a bit outgoing after moving somewhere new, by picking up something like scuba diving, it has been getting weird. In episode 9 we just finished a multi episode story, which it has never had before, where characters are dealing with spoiler[a supernatural ghost, and going dream surfing through being able to enter the same dream.] The end really was not a surprise, revealing the spoiler[non aging Peter that spirits people away, was the teacher that shared an uncanny resemblance, with it being like a dream person who was abandoned for like a second as a baby]. Okay, that is surprising in being weird, much weirder than this show has previously had, with romance drama even.

And it was not just this arc, this season already suddenly introduced that Futaba is apparently a spoiler[professional dreamer] or something. Having a scene that out of nowhere had overtones of magic, that were apparently spoiler[Futaba able to control dreams], even though nothing of the sort had happened before.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:11 am Reply with quote
Well,to put this as simply as I can,there's a new anime premiering tonight on Adult Swim's Toonami block,so why shouldn't I comment on it and a couple of other anime that are out there? So,if you're ready,let's get to it.

1."FLCL:"Well,one of the weirdest shows I've ever seen is about to get another bunch of episodes to it. Yes,a new version of "FLCL" is going to premiere tonight on Toonami. Called "FLCL Progressive,"it's a new version of the show,and basically that means that it's going to screw around with your mind. Basically,figuring out the Rosetta Stone when it was first discovered is a far easier thing to do than trying to figure out this show. This time around,the show's about a junior high school girl named Hitomi who begins to have some extremely weird adventures when Haruko and a new character enter her life and basically proceed to turn it upside down.

At the end of the day,"FLCL's" a weird show. It's like trying to figure out a Rubik's cube. It's hard to figure out,if you ever do. Hopefully Gainax,the company that also did "FLCL" also one day work with an American company to make a cartoon together. Judging by Gainax's past work,it'll be pretty darn insane,but I'd be interested in seeing it,wouldn't you?

2."Lupin the Third:"It looks like Toonami's going to rerun the most recent version of "Lupin the Third,"you know,the one set in Italy. I'm amazed they're doing that. I hear the next version's going to be in France as a celebration of the franchise's anniversary. Somehow,that's not a surprise,seeing as the character's grandfather was originally from there. What would surprise me is that the people who do this show would have a series set in the United States,where the show hasn't been as popular as it was in either Japan or Europe.
They'd have to think up something pretty clever if they'd do something like that,like have Lupin and the gang come to America in search of a treasure that was brought over here a long time ago or he finds out that there's a long lost branch of his family in this country that he knows nothing about or however else they plan to do it with Inspector Zenigata on their heels. They'll probably do that series,just about the same time they find a unicorn in Yellowstone Park or aliens land in Washington D.C. It could happen but it's extremely doubtful.

3."Sailor Moon:"Over the years,I've heard a lot of criticism over the original DIC dub of "Sailor Moon,"but the one I haven't heard of a whole lot is the original voice of Luna. It amazes me. It's not too bad a voice. Jill Frappier did a pretty good job with it but I've heard a few complaints about it. One of the ones I remember hearing of was that she made Luna sound like Angela Lansbury. More recently,I watched some scenes of the original dub from the second "Sailor Moon" movie where Luna get temporarily transformed into a human on Youtube.
Some of their comments were that she sounded like an old British nanny. Now,I don't really have that many problems with the old dub. For me,I liked it and it was well-acted. Again,I don't think that Ms. Frappier was too bad as Luna. To me,she did a good job. Well,these days,the show is in Viz's hands now. I haven't really seen their version of the show. But again,there are some complaints with the current English voice of Luna. This time,they said they made her sound like Rukia from "Bleach." Well,there's no pleasing some people. Perhaps she could have done it in a British accent slightly similar to the original voice actress did it. But again,I haven't seen a whole lot of Viz's version so what do I know?

I've got to get going,guys. But hopefully,I'll get some response from you guys so please feel free to leave them. I'd be happy if you did so. See you guys later.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

The fact that Amanchu—and by a similar token, Aria—ultimately took a turn for the supernatural was not to my liking. The strength of an iyashikei lies in its ability to reveal the magic of the everyday: the pervasive sense of wonder that comes about simply from spending quality time with ordinary people, circumstances permitting. When this is conveyed adequately, mystical additions simply come across as over-egging the pudding. Characters do not need fanciful powers for their screen time to endear them if they are written and directed sufficiently, which is something Amanchu's first season just about managed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I would say that it feels like either the creator started to get bored of their own creation in wanting to do something different, or a sort of lack of confidence in what they had done up to then.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki, I made a minor alteration to your post - changed the up arrow to @DuskyPredator after I moved Snomaster1's post into the thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:10 am Reply with quote
I watched the original Voltron and the even more original Go Lion back-to-back, and... I can honestly say... Voltron is a bad show. Go Lion is slightly better, but neither truly warrants your viewing. I do think that a lot of the edits in the English version were unnecessary and dumb. If you HAVE to watch Voltron because someone is holding your family hostage and the only way to save them is to watch Voltron, I recommend the Japanese version, if only because it's not afraid to go in a darker direction.

For comparison's sake, the protagonists in Voltron are "Space Adventurers" who find a planet where evil empire has taken over, they are captured, and they're forced to fight a giant monster in an arena.

In the Japanese version, Go Lion, this planet is Earth (I'm fairly certain), the protagonists are already slaves (as are most humans) and the monsters they fight in the arena used to be humans, but were experimented on until they became... those things. It's not much compared to your standard anime, but it's a great bit of worldbuilding that I think the English Dub lacks because they wanted to avoid scaring kids. A real shame. Either way, I'm stopping at episode 3 for both of them. It's not great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1008 of 1061