• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking about finally watching the Fate Stay series. I knew about the series since the mid-late 2000's, but never seen any of them. I may start watching Fate Zero since I was told it is a prequel and has no major heavy spoiler with the other series. Not to mention, you have the writer of Kamen Rider Gaim behind it. So it should be fun.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:02 am Reply with quote
^ Fate/Zero has a lot of spoilers if you haven't watched or are at least aware of several story elements of Fate/stay night
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:28 am Reply with quote
Finally got around to the second half of Made in Abyss, and boy was I not expecting that painful a series of gut punches... In particular spoiler[Nanachi and Mitty's backstory is that perfectly horrible combination of silly-yet-wondrous fantasy and abject human cruelty I'd honestly begun to worry anime had lost the edge for (with a few exceptions like the infamous Madoka).] And, of course, there were more traumas and dramas before and after; Riko's lust for adventure is continuously unswayed.

I haven't been this excited for a second season in quite awhile--my curiosity about the abyss's dangers and wonders is almost strong enough to get me reading ahead. But I think, like with Titan and Jojo, the adaptation work is so solid and respectful here it'll be worth any wait. 8.5/10

Oh yeah, also been keeping up with Lupin the Third Part V. As expected, the latest iteration is pretty solid pulpy heist action; imo it balances everything modern and even classic Lupin is known for even more expertly than IV. The France-set backgrounds look pretty swell too. Only downside really is that Fujiko seems to just pop in to fill a sexy femme fatale quota, but even then the next arc seems determined to make up for the dearth of her so far. Overall, this is the only contemporary anime besides Magus' Bride I've actually found worth following week to week. I’d possibly buy this. Probably 8/10, but as with anything cour 2 could change a lot.

Last edited by Never_Know_Best on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
Finally finished watching Hakumei and Mikochi. I was thinking about dropping it at one point, but after a few episodes I found myself really enjoying it. So much so that I was honestly disappointed when it ended. There's probably little (no pun intended) chance of it happening, but I'd love it if there was a spin off that focused on Honey House or the trading caravan.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Has anyone else watching Amanchu! Season 2?

And it was not just this arc, this season already suddenly introduced that Futaba is apparently a spoiler[professional dreamer] or something. Having a scene that out of nowhere had overtones of magic, that were apparently spoiler[Futaba able to control dreams], even though nothing of the sort had happened before.

that "or something" is just being a Lucid Dreamer. Which is a real thing and something I can sometimes slip into. It's a lot of fun to control your own dreams. When she starts predicting actions that's a real method to recognize that you can control your dreams. There are other ways. spoiler[Sharing a dream] is pure fantasy though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
So this past weekend I attended Anime Next. I sold lots of artwork. All the shoujo fans made me so happy. During time between con days, a certain somebody crammed Parts 1 and 2 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure down my throat. Razz So here are my thoughts on that:

Part 01: First of all.....those who know me well can probably guess this series isn't my cup of tea. I like cutesy romance and sweeping emotional fantasy eye-candy. And....yeah, I can't say that's changed much. The Jojo series is "okay" I guess? Part 01 is a lot more engaging when Dio is on screen but when he's not, the show's kinda meh. I'm sure if it had been my first introduction to the shounen fighting genre, I'd find it amazing. (it seems most of the fandom has the same opinion on Phantom Blood.)

The style for sure is interesting and it does catch your attention well. Super bright colors but I also really liked the usage of screentones during stills. Some even made me go "haha I recognize that pattern; I have that in my Photoshop stash." Laughing

Part 02: Is a vast improvement mainly thanks to Joseph taking over. He is just fun to watch and listen to. (dub) I mean how do you not love a protagonist who predicts his opponent's dialogue every time before he can even speak it? xD So I was actually quite glad that spoiler[his creator decided to spare him at the end, unlike his ancestors.]

So am I going to proceed with Parts 3 and 4? Dunno. Adult swim actually removed most the episodes from Part 3.....but I've heard that 4 is so very much like Yu Yu Hakusho which I am a big fan of so I am somewhat curious to see how it measures up.

I also saw the rest of Pyscho-Pass. Wow, but Gen Urobuchi shows are TALKY. Lol there is so much I don't understand with this one....but at the same time, I can tell it was written very well. Makishima Shogo is probably the best villain I've seen in anime to date.....and normally villains are my least favorite part of fiction....but this guy....lol this guy is amazing. I think he's everything that makes a good antagonist; he's brilliant, he's badass, he's insane, he's also got an extremely cool head.

.........though as I said before, Urobuchi scares me a little bit. This is a very violent, disturbing, adult-oriented show....on the level of Garden of Sinners, but just a little easier to understand. In the end, the character I ended up sympathizing the most with was actually Ginoza who seemingly acts like a cold asshat most of the time but spoiler[turns out to be this lonely little boy who just wants senp-I mean Daddy to notice him so when Daddy sacrifices his life to save this son, it brought tears to my eyes. This son needs hugs. Lots of them.]

I'm currently re-watching My Hero Academia CAUSE A CERTAIN JERK WOULDN'T LET ME WATCH HIS BLURAY IN JAPANESE.
Twisted Evil
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
So my gf and I finished watching Gangsta. Well hello sudden cliffhanger anime ending. Rolling Eyes One of the most abrupt endings in a long time for me. It was a very enjoyable show right up until that last episode about halfway through when it became apparent there was no way in hell everything was going to be wrapped up in any fashion. I know the mangaka's health is not the best so I can only hope one day we at least get an OVA to help tie some things up and give something of an ending. Sort of like what Black Lagoon did. I will say it did have a nice OP. In fact that's the 3rd series in a row for me with a damn good OP. Rage of Bahamut, Dimension W, and now Gangsta. Odds of the universe dictate the next one will suck.

Not sure what we'll do next. We went through our physical media and decided on a smaller "immediate" backlog to get to next consisting of Asterisk War, Izetta the Last Witch, Cross Ange, Flying Witch, My Love Story, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Tales of Zestiria, Record of Loddoss War, & Noragami. There's also Violet Evergarden, Devilman Crybaby, & Kakegurui on Netflix we want to get to, and stream Ancient Magus Bride & Restaurant to Another World on Funi. Decisions decisions.

On my own though I do plan to watch Chivalry of a Failed Knight, Hundred, & Valkyrie Drive Mermaid. Get my T&A/ecchi fix.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Finished 8 episodes of Toradora. It's getting grating at this point. It started strong, but now it's doing that thing that a lot of high school romance anime do where it threatens the togetherness of the couple with pointless, ineffectual love triangles and tries to have big, emotional moments that amount to autistic screaming. In other words, characters giving a lot of a shit about things that I give very little of a shit about. Your Lie in April had the same issue to a greater extent. I know that the second half allegedly gets better, but I just don't think that Ryuji and Taiga have THIS much reason to care about each other just yet. They're friends for now, and while Taiga might have feelings for Ryuji at this point, her mind still thinks she likes... glasses guy. So her reactions are pretty nonsensical. Not to mention that... blue-haired girl is more interesting as a protagonist than she is as a rival to Taiga.

Now, Hajime No Ippo on the other hand, is one of the most easily marathonable shows I've seen since JoJo. Great protagonist, great rivals, amazing drive to improve from all characters... it actually makes me wanna start working out again. I'm on episode 10 of that after having dropped it back in 2008 (It's more accurate to say that I lost the site I was watching it on).
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Finally watched Sakura Quest. I've been putting it off cause well, I don't have a good track record with PA Works. The only thing they've done that I really enjoyed was The Eccentric Family. To this day I'm still not sure why I stuck with Nagi No Asukara. I did like Shirobako, but found it tedious at points.

Anyway, I liked Sakura Quest more than I thought I would. I thought that the main girls had satisfying character arcs, but found their interpersonal relationships rather hollow compared to the friendship between the leads in A Place Further Than the Universe. So, I'm glad that I watched it but I'm never going to see it again.

Now the other series I watched was Hyouka and... I barely made it to the end of the first episode. I didn't find it enjoyable in the least. I watch SoL shows and talky shows, but this was boring to watch. The characters failed to engage me at all.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:07 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
So my gf and I finished watching Gangsta. Well hello sudden cliffhanger anime ending. Rolling Eyes One of the most abrupt endings in a long time for me.

Manglobe going bankrupt probably had something to do with that too... :/
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens and I'm 9 episodes in. I remember just seeing the title somewhere and thought it was just another cooking show. It's not a cooking show. Anyway, it has been pretty good. At first I thought the show seemed to promise something a bit more exciting than what we got. During its first arc it had multiple groups and people getting tangled into the same mess. But the first arc gets resolved pretty quickly and the show kinda settles down. Every episode has still been enjoyable though and the characters are likable.

P.S. Saito is an unlucky guy.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:48 am Reply with quote
Rewatched Yu Yu Hakusho (from the Saint Beast arc to the first episode of the Dark Tournament), Princess Tutu, and Garzey's Wing with friends who hadn't seen them before. All of which were great (except that Garzey's Wing wore out its welcome faster than usual).

And finally, I got around to watching Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer and... wow. That's quite an improvement from the first movie! This is probably the peak of the franchise (unless the following movies surprise me). The first movie suffered from focusing on Ataru's unlikable traits rather than his better parts, flanderizing Lum, a new Love Rival who flip flops between a villain and a sympathetic character with zero consistency (she apparently freezes the bodies of attractive men for her collection, yet her love for Ataru is never once portrayed as insincere, yet she locks him up when he finds out about it, yet she still speaks fondly of him, etc.), and a very forced conflict. It was a very typical "Shounen Jump movie."

To clarify, the term "Shounen Jump movie" doesn't imply that the work is actually from Shounen Jump. What I mean is that it follows the typical formula of a Shounen Jump film. The first movie had all of the following... a weak or poorly written villain, characters who are introduced with prepacked connections with canon characters, a plot that is self-contained to the point that it cannot possibly impact the main storyline, characters who were never mentioned before the movie and will never be mentioned again, canon characters who act like caricatures of their canon selves for the sake of comedy to pad out the run time, plot twists that feel forced for the sake of making a low-stakes film have an actual climax, and fake character deaths that force somewhat more emotion out of the characters than normal.

A few of these still apply to the second movie, but my God, it works anyway. Beautiful Dreamer is about the cast of Urusei Yatsura when they realize they're trapped in a groundhog day loop, which turns out to be the dream of one of the central characters. Ataru, lazy ass that he is, figures it out but decides it's not his problem to solve in a "You mean as long as I'm here I don't have to go to school? Yippie!" type of attitude, but toward the hour mark, decides to confront the dream demon and escape from his gilded prison.

That all sounds very simple, but it's the execution of weird visuals and hilarious scene transitions from one incomprehensible dream to the next that makes it fun. The climax is like the third episode of My Dear Marie if it were a high budget dramatic film. I was especially fond of... a certain dream near the end of Ataru's battle of wills with the demon where it seemed like he woke up in a hellish future centuries later where everyone he knew was dead including Lum... only for the demon to reveal that it was just a sick joke. A sick joke that I actually laughed at.

I'd rate it an 8.5/10, though because websites only let me rate things whole numbers, I'll settle for an 8. The characters don't go through any meaningful developments or revelations, but it's still an entertaining as heck movie that I recommend non-fans see as well. You only need the basic premise of the show to understand it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
The short length series, My Sweet Tyrant, has been something I have watched through its run, and just saw its 12th episode, which I thought could be its maybe functional if uneventful end, some sources say it is that many episode long, but an article says that a 2nd cour starts next week. So even if it is not finished, I want to just mention it a bit. It is mostly harmless, with noting to out there, but enough that we are seeing characters interact. But I do have a problem with it, I kind of felt that way at the beginning, and it did not change my feelings. The gimmick of the show is pretty terrible.

What the show mostly is about is a boyfriend being too embarrassed to show how much he adores his girlfriend, that he instead acts abrasive, before he swoons for her when he is alone. And this sort of thing is dangerous, because I would go so far that it romanticises abusive relationships, where he will call her uggo and say things that must hurt her feelings, but inside he is so in love with her that he is a mess. It feels gross that some girls could end up with a boyfriend that treats them like this, and then they stay in the relationship because the girlfriend "knows" that he does not mean it, and is actually a sweet heart. It is beyond tsundere, and is full on verbal abuse, and it makes me uncomfortable that this series can ride the waves of something that would be so terrible in real life.

Romance is not saying your girlfriend is ugly and is always a bother, even if they at times showed more caring side, it is not right.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:15 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
he will call her uggo and say things that must hurt her feelings

I guess that's the thing though, it does not hurt her feelings at all. He might as well be saying she's an angel because she is utterly impervious to his insults. She completely ignores his abusive language other than to see his inability to say how he really feels as cute.

But people like this don't actually exist in real life. No one is that immune to insults from people they care about, and no one delivers torrents of verbal abuse while mentally thinking how much they adore the person while they're insulting them. So I guess that's the comedy part?

I don't disagree with your issues with it though. I've been watching it like an accident scene, but haven't ever found it funny. If the episodes were even 5 min instead of 2 1/2 without credits, they'd exceed my tolerance. If it does get another season, I won't be there for it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But people like this don't actually exist in real life. No one is that immune to insults from people they care about, and no one delivers torrents of verbal abuse while mentally thinking how much they adore the person while they're insulting them. So I guess that's the comedy part?

What you said too bothers me, it just feels so unnatural that she just smiles while he says awful things to her. And I guess it is supposed to be comedy, but not once made me laugh. I am happy to see that someone else has the same thoughts as me.

Not to forget that her own parents much have the same relationship where her father verbally abuses her mother. With slight tweaks this show could be a cautionary tale.

I am not even sure why I have been watching it, beyond that it perhaps looks alright, and I would say some morbid fascination. But you did make me think if I should just quit it. I imagine if someone took some moral away from this show, it could be bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1009 of 1061