• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Reasons. -TK]
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching Fractale last night and I must say I am disappointed. The show just seemed to fall flat, especially when I felt the main character, Clain, came to the same realization about four times. To me there was no real conclusion to it, making all the fighting that happened extremely pointless. I'm not saying it was the most horrible show I have ever seen, as there were some good parts and I enjoyed a majority of the characters, but for an anime that is only eleven episodes everything just lags to much.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Age II disappointment has finally sent me back to watching some Anime.

Last Exile: Loved the setting and the world built up, and the story. The main characters.... not so much. Claus was very naive, and always playing into the villain of the moment hands by begging for things to stop. Lavi was uneven, the spunky gogetter girl, who becomes a quivering mess just because Claus was on a mission with another girl? All of the side characters were 5x more enjoyable, and they carried the show for me.

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo: Diving right into this after Last Exile was tough. An even more naive, complaining protagonist voiced by (like Clause) Johnny Yong Bosch. Albert did not become somewhat bearable until about episode 19, and then later reverted. It was painful (and what I followed this series up with made it even worse). Once again, all the side characters carried the show for me, and by the time it was over, I was happy. A very good anime.

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan: JYB three in a row with the begging and pleading characters..... I bought and watched this when released with the sub, and thought it very funny. Punie Chan came along afterwards, and I judged it superior. I bought the dub version to check it out. This dub does not work. The only dubbed voice I liked was Laura Bailey's Sabato. Instead of laughing when Sakura got bludgeoned, I was annoyed. This might be worth watching again with others who have never seen it before.

Rahxephon Movie: My collection had the movie in it, but I had never watched it. For a condensed retelling, they did a pretty good job of hitting most of the major points. Fans of the female instrumentalist would be disappointed.

Wagnaria!: I found some of the jokes and situations rather funny, but I have grown tired of the "always punch the protagonist" female. A little different case here, and it did provide some somewhat effective drama and seriousness.... that felt totally out of place when not also applied to another character (the probably 14 year old runaway who appears to not go to school). I had a very uneven feeling upon finishing.

Cleopatra DC: Had this ova series released by Media Blasters for some time. Odd 80's girl stereotype with unlimited money, guns, power, and a red corvette. Nothing really stood out, and then it was over.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:34 am Reply with quote
And so I thought it would be a good idea to finally watch Saikano.

First about the things I did not like- the character design. Noses that become one with mouth and chin. Then the dub is a bit weird. A few of the characters sound like if they had a lisp, and most male cast seems like if thy had been dubbed the guy who dubbed Kintaro Oe from Goldenboy. I also have an impression that the dialogues are a bit repetitive. Characters deliver the same lines in different circumstances, so it feels a bit that not much happens- the outcome of all situation is the same conversation, but maybe that's the point.

However, the plot itself is really good and so are the characters. It makes me think a lot about Voices of a Distant Star, it has a similar feeling to it. It is not an anime I can say I really enjoy watching. It is an excellent one, but it is quite depressing.

On a brighter note, I started Spice and Wolf- The medieval setting fits in, and it looks like a good series so far.
an.atticus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Finished Moribito Guardian of the Spirit - this started out as a great series with the fantasy setting, but the ending was on of th biggest tear jerkers (at least it was for me) that i have seen in awhile.

I recommend this to anyone that likes series with a historical theme in a fantasy world.

Also the fight scenes are pretty awesome, not cheaply made. Its also refreshing that the weapon of choice for the main character is a spear not the usual sword.
BarryB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Darker than Black mainly because it's on Netflix and a friend recommended it. So far I'm impressed with it! Anyone else have any suggestions for anime on Netflix?? Smile
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
Finally finished all of my Winter 2011 shows. Kimi ni Todoke Season 2, Dragon Crisis, Freezing, Fractale, Yumekui Merry, and Infinite Stratos. Kimi ni Todoke was the only one that I felt had a really good ending that left me satisfied. The other 5 endings were just meh though I'm very interested in getting the manga for Yumekui Merry. I didn't have any shows other than KnT season 2 rate over an 8 for me which disappointed me a little. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica could get a pretty high rating depending on how it ends but the last 2 eppies aren't out yet.
I also watched Sekirei and Trigun on Netflix and enjoyed both shows greatly. Sekirei was an enjoyable series and I'm looking forward to seeing the second season. Trigun was good from start to finish. Even if Vash's morals did get a little annoying from time to time.

Now to finally start on the Spring 2011 shows I wanted to watch.

Oh I also started watching Black Butler on netflix. Must say that I do enjoy Sebastian. However, the dub voices of the other 3 stooges/servants are awful. Terribly overdone british maid and 2 goofy guys just killing what I think will still end up being a good show.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Currently watching Tweeny Witches and being blown away by the cheapness of the animation.

They do anything and everything to avoid simply showing a talking face, including:
1) close-up of the speaker's eyes
2) motionless shot of the addressee
3) far off, still silhouette of the speaker
4) random shot of scenery surrounding the speaker
5) motionless shot of one of the speakers from some time after scene, with the voice-over conversation apparently being replayed in their memory

It can be very hard to follow who exactly is talking to whom when you never get one character shown speaking and looking at another!

There are some lovely bits though, particularly the snippet before the titles each time, which is reminiscent of the Bayeux-tapestry-style op of Nausicaä, or the op of Wanpaku Ōji no Orochi Taiji (to which I've always assumed Nausicaä was paying homage?). And I also like the inventive little bits after the credits. (The other Tim-Burton-y, emo-y designs I can take or leave.)

(I see I'll be ff-ing through the credit sequence each time. The combination of the annoying song and the awful physics-free flying animation makes me cross.)
mascthemoney

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: Reasons. -TK]
Sentire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Started watching Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne. I was surprised by the large jump in time between episodes 2 and 3. I'm only half way through, but it's pretty good. Not spectacular, not lousy. There have been shots where I swear her sidekick Mimi looks very much like Yin from Darker than Black.
Truered

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Currently been working my way through Ranma 1/2 for the first time. Ended up getting a Rumiko Takahashi anime itch a few weeks back (this and Urusei Yatsura are my first forays into one of the more famous mangaka's works) and it's a mildly amusing, fun show to have on in the background so I don't have to give it my full attention. It's mainly been the only thing I've been watching recently.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Where has time gone off to lately, I've been so busy and didn't have any chances to watch anime in recent months. I felt like my anime viewing was overdue so decided to start with Spice and Wolf. I have already watched it but never the second one. I really didn't remember what happened so I decided to re-watch it. I'm now on Spice and Wolf II and it's already starting good like the first one. I just wish I started watching a more action packed show to start my long break of anime.
Sentire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Analog_Now wrote:
I just wish I started watching a more action packed show to start my long break of anime.

Availability of time is my biggest hurtle in being able to watch as much anime as I like. I too go through periods of drought. Problem is, once I have a moment to view some episodes, then I crave every genre of anime all at the same time! Narrowing it down can be difficult for me. Yeah, Spice and Wolf would not be my pick if I craved an action packed series.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Feels like I'm just digging my own grave, but I'll start re-watching Lovely Complex tonight. I recall watching it in the past, and like most romantic series, I probably dropped it around episode 10. Hopefully it sticks to comedy, because just thinking about mellow mellow romance makes me instinctively facepalm.

But negative stuff aside, I pretty much ate up season one and two of Rozen Maiden and gave it a sweet 9/10. Man, those dolls are so cute! I think I might be collecting the wrong kind. Though I preferred season 1 by far. Something just seemed wrong about season two... dunno if it was the spoiler[Shenlong factor or Shinku's change of heart going from the one supporting to the one being supported]. Yes, she was much cooler and aspiring on season 1.
I should be happy about how things turned out on season 2, but the ending felt a bit off (good old "let's go psychopath")... perhaps they just made thespoiler[ fake Rozen] too believable. And I also believe the series shone the best with comedy and slice of life, although some action and plot was absolutely necessary - but not in large doses, as we had.
Very satisfactory experience nonetheless. Still missing the OVA, but I have the feeling that it's gonna be all action and plot, which isn't what I want from Rozen Maiden.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Lovely Complex - my favourite school romance comedy, ever. I even put it ahead of Toradora! which I also love. I bought a live-action adaptation callled Love*Com but haven't watched it yet. I have no doubt it's pretty dreadful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 581 of 1062