• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
There's only merit on watching Endless Eight if you don't know that it exists and is happening, experiencing it completely blind. Now THAT is something I want to see (sadly I've not seen Suzumiya and I know about it so I won't be able to Sad ).

In terms of shows I've been watching recently The Vision of Escaflowne. It's..... okay at best, I love the super budget hand-drawn animation, and I guess I can see why it was so popular since it has a lot elements for many publics (we got fantasy! and swords! and mechas! and angels! and self-insert girl from earth! and a web of romances!) mixed in a decent enough way. It's entertaining, but nothing special or particulary exciting.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
There's only merit on watching Endless Eight if you don't know that it exists and is happening, experiencing it completely blind.

That may be true for you and, no doubt, many others, but it is not true for everybody. I was well aware of the situation the first time that I watched Endless Eight and I still enjoyed it, a lot.
I have now watched all eight episodes twice and half of them two other times. When I was in too much of a hurry to watch all of them I watched the first and last and two other episodes.

I still enjoyed watching it and will definitely watch all of it again.
I enjoy multiple viewings of shows that I like.

People are different.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Minami-Ke I am addicted to slice of life shows, I watched all 4 seasons of Hidamari Sketch, all seasons of Aria, all of K-On! as well. And dozens of other mediocre titles. Minami-Ke is pretty bland but fun overall. Character designs are extremely conventional, of the type "how to drawn manga":
http://images4.alphacoders.com/230/230136.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I finished Fruits Basket today............. *sigh* The series got so much worse over time with even more annoying characters with an amazing lack of depth. Gotta like how in the final three episodes they decide to bring something up that was not so much as hinted at, made it a big deal, then had a weak resolution about it. It felt beyond forced. Not only that, but they never bothered to explain where the family curse came from.......... You know what else they should have done? Made the FRIGGIN TITLE RELEVANT! It has literally nothing to do with what (little) goes on! Ya know what? Low score, worst of the five series I've taken on and, unfortunately, one of the worst anime I have ever seen. Yup, it had to come to that, you started out small and only got smaller, not an easy feat to accomplish.
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Yamstarch wrote:
La storia della Arcana Famiglia. The premise sounds interesting. In the comments people seem to complain about "filler" in the second episode. We shall see. But, the art looks amazing and lots of colors.

Yamstarch wrote:

So I am 5 episodes into this so far. I really like it so far. I am not sure why people on Crunchyroll are complaining about filler. To me it just seems like character development. Admittedly the show isn't anything like what I was expecting. I was expecting more or less a shonen type show. it seems a bit deeper than that. It almost has a Full Metal Alchemist vibe to it. I see it is only a short 12 episode run, at least that is what is on Crunchyroll. We'll see what happens.

Psycho 101 wrote:

By the time I got to episode 7 I was starting to shake my head and sigh loudly. I felt the story itself was just...blah. The story felt like it was disjointed and just poorly put together. Like it had no idea on what it wanted to do. It had a point to make but no idea how to make it and turn the plot into something coherent. The characters were predictable and bland mostly. Or tired of cliche's. The ending was just...underwhelming to say the least. Don't want to give anything away but with the hype of the tournament the last 2 episodes were very underwhelming. That's part of what tainted the rest of the show for me in the end I think. I'm glad you're enjoying it though. At least someone is.

{Fixed your inline quotations. Please read this. ~nbahn}

Well, I really enjoyed the series. Just finished it up and while the ending did leave much to be desired, it was still acceptable. it set it up for there to be more as well. Other posters elsewhere have said there is supposed to be a La storia della Arcana Famiglia 2, but I can't find it. I wouldn't mind seeing more.

not sure what I am going to watch next. I was debating on Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
I finished Fruits Basket today............. *sigh* The series got so much worse over time with even more annoying characters with an amazing lack of depth. Gotta like how in the final three episodes they decide to bring something up that was not so much as hinted at, made it a big deal, then had a weak resolution about it. It felt beyond forced. Not only that, but they never bothered to explain where the family curse came from.......... You know what else they should have done? Made the FRIGGIN TITLE RELEVANT! It has literally nothing to do with what (little) goes on! Ya know what? Low score, worst of the five series I've taken on and, unfortunately, one of the worst anime I have ever seen. Yup, it had to come to that, you started out small and only got smaller, not an easy feat to accomplish.

I'm sorry things turned out to be so disappointing for you. I haven't even seen Fruits Basket, but I do sort of understand where you're coming from. You might be better off just reading the original manga (which is actually completed). Same with Higurashi, since based on what I heard, it explained things a lot better in the original visual novel than the adaptation did.

As for the title of Fruits Basket, I heard they DID explain it...in the manga. Apparently, it's about Toru's situation or something. I dunno. The anime got canceled because of creative differences, so yeah.

Maybe you should just take a break from shoujo anime in general, considering your comments regarding stuff like Marmalade Boy and all. The only shoujo I've seen is Ouran, which acts as a very funny parody and crash course for the genre (specifically, reverse harem). [EDIT: I'm sorry if I offended you earlier. I wasn't watching my mouth. Forgive me.]

Last edited by Akane the Catgirl on Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
They also explained the title (Fruits Basket) in the anime as well. The anime adapted that chapter within the manga (Tohru moves back in with her grandfather and his family, remembers playing the game Fruits Basket when she was younger, and realizes that an onigiri does not belong in a fruits basket). I think it's an appropriate title for the series. While it mostly focused on Tohru in that situation - not feeling like she belonged with the Sohmas even though she strongly desired it - it could apply to any of the characters who felt like an outsider or estranged from others (which was pretty much the entire cast).
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
Whoops. My bad. Sorry for that. nbahn

Otherwise I just checked out the first 2 episodes last night. I didn't realize the show was also known by a different name. Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero. I've already laughed numerous times and the action has been interesting as well.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Started watching Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing yesterday. Heard of the mixed reception that the series has among fans and definitely see where the concerns come in as this baby lacks the subtleties and slow buildup of the plot and world exploration its first season had, as well as seemingly ripping plot elements from the original series rather poorly. Presently up to episode 6 on it and I imagine things aren't improving much moving forward.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
watched both seasons of Himawari. It was honestly one of the most, if not the most generic show I've watched. Characters, style, music, writing, all of it was... well, generic. Season 1 was very episodic, but I strangely found myself growing to like most of the characters. At the end of season 1, it left on cliffhanger so seeing as I didn't think it was a complete waste of time, I started season 2.

I should have been able to tell, but I was still surprised that season 2 actually had a plot. Again, more generic as far as the eye can see. It's a shame really, because season 2 had some interesting ideas set up from the first season. The thing I liked most about the show was the relationship between the title character and her teacher Hayato. While it didn't go into any straight up romance, the two characters clearly grew close over the course of the series. In all honesty, without these two characters, the show would have been a complete waste of time.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Today I marathoned the first half of Aldnoah.Zero because I never got around to actually watching it. Aside from lackluster music and poor use of year setting, I liked the art (which was top notch), the cast was not annoying, there was good writing and a conspiracy theory to boot, it had plenty of action, the mechs and ships were unique, the pacing was well done, and aside from the show scenes in episode 9 there was no fan service! I really liked how spoiler[one character in the first two episodes couldn't stop talking about girls then was killed off in the second episode.] It's no Nobunaga The Fool, but man was this entertaining as hell. No idea why people keep comparing this to Valvrave, aside from having mecha and the school girls wearing similar outfits they have nothing in common. The second season I'll start watching very soon.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm past halfway through watching Dog & Scissors. Kazuhito Harumi, a high-school boy that enjoys reading books, particularly those that were written by an author who goes by the name "Shinobu Akiyama." One day, while reading at a café, he was shot and killer by a robber while attempting to protect a bystander, only to be somehow reincarnated back to life as a Dachshund dog. Kazuhito gets adopted by Kirihime Natsuno, the very person he tried to save and one of the only very few unique people that's capable of understanding him.

I find Dog & Scissors to be a good anime show to watch. I couldn't help but laugh at the moments of Kazuhito being on the receiving end of Kirihime's special scissors, as well as being subjected to all sorts of dog-related one-liners. Of course, I could've had a simpler time enjoying the show if Sentai took more time stabilizing the impaired audio.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Earlier I watched some mid-80s anime movie called Grey: Digital Target. It was surprisingly cool and it is a shame this became obscure since it had a pretty good cast, great art, lots of action, and nice plot going for it. If anyone is interested in post-apocalypstic 80s OVA cheese I'd say give this a watch.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Hello, everyone! So, I finally finished Fullmetal Alchemist. It was brilliant, to make a long story short. I also saw the Conqueror of Shamballa movie. What did I personally think of that? Well, I'll let Lisa Simpson sum up my thoughts:

To be honest, the movie did have a purpose in mind. (Which was to wrap up the few hanging plot threads from the end of the series.) Still, did it really have to be so mediocre about it? Don't get me wrong; the animation and voice acting were top notch. Still, this was definitely one of those things to watch once, then never again.

So after I completed FMA, I decided to begin my ventures into the Fate stay Night anime. (To anybody who mentions the visual novel, no, I don't care about what happened there.) The first episode was...actually kind of boring. It can be thusly summed up by the following sentences:

There's this guy. He's the main character. This is a day in his life. Oh, and there's magic or something.

If you wanted me to like you from the start, you should have put more effort into making your first episode interesting. Oh well. I heard Saber shows up next time, which begs the question of why didn't the guys adapting this combine the first two episodes. Still, I must persevere so I may reward myself with Fate zero! See you soon.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
(To anybody who mentions the visual novel, no, I don't care about what happened there.)

Then I suggest not asking questions like "Why X happened in this way" and "why character Y acted that way".

You don't have to watch the old adaptation to get into F/Z anyway so if you find it boring just jump to Zero or the new UBW. All you'll get is a better understanding of Holy Grail War rules and Saber's story resolution that may or may not piss you off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 842 of 1061