• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Set1229

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
I might rewatch Lost Universe one of these days just because of how comforting it was for me in the past.
Bottle Fairy also sounds cute and bubbly. Might get it those old Geneon DVD's for my niece if it's family-friendly.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Just watched Ghost in the Shell: Arise. Excellent TV series, one of the best of the year indeed. Although I personally found it a bit distant emotionally though like LOGH it works more on an intellectual level rather than on a emotional level (directly). As one who loves dramatic stories I felt slightly disappointed. In my honest opinion the best anime of 2015 so far has been UBW.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
I watched some more episodes of Hunter x Hunter, specifically up to the end of the Tower of Heaven arc. It was definitely not as strong as the Hunter Exam arc, although I liked the conclusion of Gon's fight against Hisoka. I'm excited to see what the next arc will be about, since it seems it'll focus on Kurapika's revenge

After watching so much HxH in one go, I decided to take a break and check out some other things.

I watched 5 episodes of Shangri-la. The opening scene was very cool and unique, with the MC walking out of prison to the sound of cheers from her fellow inmates. Then it just becomes wildly boring and uninteresting. It's not really clear what the show wants to be and the MC isn't as cool or likable as her cheering squad in prison would've suggested. I decided to drop it.

Next I watched the first 13 episodes of Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. Although it was a little confusing at first, it's a very solid series and the relationship between the two leads is very interesting and unique. I find stories about criminal organizations and the underworld very interesting and fascinating. The twist at the end of this first half was quite unexpected and kind of cool, I'm very interested in seeing where it'll go from there.

To cleanse my pallate from all the dark things in Phantom, I picked up Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun, which has the perfect dose of bishonen, magical shenanigans and bl undertones, I'm currently on episode 8. I'm already a little familiar with the Tale of Eight Dogs, so it's kind of interesting and a little frustrating that Shino passes by other "dogs" without noticing and I'm wondering how they're going to unite them all in the end.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I watched some more episodes of Hunter x Hunter, specifically up to the end of the Tower of Heaven arc. It was definitely not as strong as the Hunter Exam arc, although I liked the conclusion of Gon's fight against Hisoka. I'm excited to see what the next arc will be about, since it seems it'll focus on Kurapika's revenge

After watching so much HxH in one go, I decided to take a break and check out some other things.

I watched 5 episodes of Shangri-la. The opening scene was very cool and unique, with the MC walking out of prison to the sound of cheers from her fellow inmates. Then it just becomes wildly boring and uninteresting. It's not really clear what the show wants to be and the MC isn't as cool or likable as her cheering squad in prison would've suggested. I decided to drop it.

Next I watched the first 13 episodes of Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. Although it was a little confusing at first, it's a very solid series and the relationship between the two leads is very interesting and unique. I find stories about criminal organizations and the underworld very interesting and fascinating. The twist at the end of this first half was quite unexpected and kind of cool, I'm very interested in seeing where it'll go from there.

To cleanse my pallate from all the dark things in Phantom, I picked up Hakkenden: Touhou Hakken Ibun, which has the perfect dose of bishonen, magical shenanigans and bl undertones, I'm currently on episode 8. I'm already a little familiar with the Tale of Eight Dogs, so it's kind of interesting and a little frustrating that Shino passes by other "dogs" without noticing and I'm wondering how they're going to unite them all in the end.

Psst... the arc right after the Heaven's Arena arc in Hunter x Hunter is my personal favorite. I think you'll love it.
Night fox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Her inmates were probably just happy she was leaving and that they finally got rid of her. Wink
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
What wholly irritated me about the show wasn't the main character -- it was the show's treatment of the grandmother!
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Currently watching Casshern Sins. Back in the day I watched about 4 eps subbed and was bored out of my skull. However, decided to revisit it based on a recommendation, plus I got the BD/DVD combo fairly cheap. I'm 9 eps in so far with the BD and the dub is making it more accessible for me. I like the art style, but I'm finding colors and brightness in many scenes to be too dark muddying or obscuring details. Story wise so far its very repetitive. Casshern mopes and some gal who wants to kill him hugs him. At least 3 different gals and there's been like 3 different robot children too, and most fights happen at night in the dark with almost the same set up spoiler[(Casshern rescues someone and has to fight or Casshern comes across Robots that if not immediately hostile by the end will want to eat him)]. Also there's been 2 episodes back to back with basically the same theme. I'm not bored like I was the first time around. I am curious about the mystery of what happened. However right now--and this may change depending what they do going forward--it feels like this might have been better streamlined down to 13 episodes instead of 24.

CrowLia wrote:

It tried to do way too much and suffered for it (or we suffered for it). I think you did the right thing dropping it.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Everyone, even me, says the same thing about Casshern Sins. Whether they like it or dislike it (I rarely find people who LOVE or HATE it), it should have been 13 episodes, not 24. It just drags on. I honestly feel like the show is touching, and the symbolism can be thought provoking at times. From all that I've seen in the Casshern/Casshan franchise, Sins is undeniably my favorite installment.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Made it to episode 10 of Infinite Ryvius. Hmm, the giant robot (Vital Guarder? what a generic name, but whatever) finally appeared and these last three episodes did something so stupid I'm amazed nobody caught this. spoiler[So Ryvius gets to Mars and encounters ships attacking it. Question: Where the hell are rescue parties to save them? They have been relying calls for help since the second or third episode and only terrorists go after them? Mars is confirmed to be a big colony in this universe, some government group would have at the very least INVESTIGATED the situation. Yet they don't? WHY!? It screams lazy writing. Also, episode 10 ends with some random nameless person being beaten to death because............ I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume they follow up on that next episode even though my gut tells me they likely won't.] You know what could easily benefit this series? Some mystery or exploration aspects. Here you have this massive unknown ship with some strange ballerina girl going around emitting force fields to protect the Ryvius. This would be a great time build tension, convey a sense of eerie atmosphere, have the characters be unsettled and disturbed, this is ripe potential just being ignored for no reason.

Only yesterday did I find out that the character designer was also the guy that worked on stuff like Gundam SEED and Destiny, Linebarrels, Majestic Prince, Fafner, and S-Cry-D (never seen that last one), never noticed that, did his style change with the jump to CG coloring? Now I wait for my old frenemy Lamango to post a screencap of this on /m/ and try to pin his Valvrager antics on me. I may loath the hell out of VVV, but I kind of stopped giving a frak around June 2014 or so. Yes 'mango, I know it is you. Smile
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:41 am Reply with quote
I finished Rose of Versailles, and overall I liked it, especially the final third. However the middle part feels really stretched with a lot of pointless subplots that yes, try to take advantage of the history references, but drag the story big deal, like the whole Rosalie/Polignac matter for example. It doesn't help that most of the episodes just happen in Versailles with not that much going on. That's why in the last third things get much more interesting with a change of situations and a bigger focus in the prior events to the French Revolution, more high stakes, and especially throwing away better that black-and-white treatment the first half had.

I love Oscar and Andre, but his relationship I loved it when they were close friends, how much fun they had and care for each other, etc. and at first I thought it would be kept that way because in the first maybe 15 episodes there isn't a single reaction that hints a romance (and COOL! Not everyone has to be shipped, friendships rock!). However, later it turns out they have something, and everytime the show focused especifically on their romance I felt very "eh" towards it, especially at the end with Oscar saying things like "I'll only do what my husband does because I'm his woman now". I still like them a lot, and even after things get really tense between them in the last arc they know how to pull back and return to care for each other as close friends and focus in other tense aspects of their relationship (rich-poor contrast, millitary, their diseases, etc.), which you can argue it's just stretching the fact that Oscar recognizes she's also in love with him, but I don't mind because they're much better the other way.

In terms of other characters, I like Alain and Bernard, Rosalie I was cool at first but her conflict began to drag and after a while even the show put her apart, Fersen is bland and all his plots weren't exactly interesting, and Jeanne was interesting enough although it would have been more effective if she didn't share so many things with Madame Du Barry that made me feel a bunch of times like "geez, are we really going to do this route again?". Antonieta was interesting, although not always (the middle part can drag a lot as I said), and I can't say I feel sympathetic for her, but that's nearly impossible which such a real person, and it's already impressive how much sympathy this series had for her without escaping from her attitude that contributed to the hatred for the monarchy, so kudos to this series for that.

I also watched the movie Trigun: Badlans Rumble, coming from someone who liked the anime and felt totally indifferent to the manga. Bleh. Shonen Jump kind of movie but with bad pacing: It's a 20 minutes episode stretched to a 90 minutes movie where 40 minutes are just introduction with nothing going on and every scene being dragged to the unlimited, and the plot sucks and it ends with a really idiotic reason to prove that "you see why Vash did the right thing?". Also, I don't know if they want to follow the manga or the anime, because every character feel mishandled (especially Vash who is kind of a stalker without reason).
To its credit, however, the animation is really cool and the world reaaaally pops up with all those Nightow designs and colors and animation, the halfway action scene was awesome; the fight in the bar, while stretched, was fun; and at least the two characters from the movie had a sense of fun that it's usually missing in these kinds of movies. But doesn't save it sadly.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
I finished Rose of Versailles, and overall I liked it, especially the final third. However the middle part feels really stretched with a lot of pointless subplots that yes, try to take advantage of the history references, but drag the story big deal, like the whole Rosalie/Polignac matter for example. It doesn't help that most of the episodes just happen in Versailles with not that much going on. That's why in the last third things get much more interesting with a change of situations and a bigger focus in the prior events to the French Revolution, more high stakes, and especially throwing away better that black-and-white treatment the first half had.

I love Oscar and Andre, but his relationship I loved it when they were close friends, how much fun they had and care for each other, etc. and at first I thought it would be kept that way because in the first maybe 15 episodes there isn't a single reaction that hints a romance (and COOL! Not everyone has to be shipped, friendships rock!). However, later it turns out they have something, and everytime the show focused especifically on their romance I felt very "eh" towards it, especially at the end with Oscar saying things like "I'll only do what my husband does because I'm his woman now". I still like them a lot, and even after things get really tense between them in the last arc they know how to pull back and return to care for each other as close friends and focus in other tense aspects of their relationship (rich-poor contrast, millitary, their diseases, etc.), which you can argue it's just stretching the fact that Oscar recognizes she's also in love with him, but I don't mind because they're much better the other way.

In terms of other characters, I like Alain and Bernard, Rosalie I was cool at first but her conflict began to drag and after a while even the show put her apart, Fersen is bland and all his plots weren't exactly interesting, and Jeanne was interesting enough although it would have been more effective if she didn't share so many things with Madame Du Barry that made me feel a bunch of times like "geez, are we really going to do this route again?". Antonieta was interesting, although not always (the middle part can drag a lot as I said), and I can't say I feel sympathetic for her, but that's nearly impossible which such a real person, and it's already impressive how much sympathy this series had for her without escaping from her attitude that contributed to the hatred for the monarchy, so kudos to this series for that.

I also watched the movie Trigun: Badlans Rumble, coming from someone who liked the anime and felt totally indifferent to the manga. Bleh. Shonen Jump kind of movie but with bad pacing: It's a 20 minutes episode stretched to a 90 minutes movie where 40 minutes are just introduction with nothing going on and every scene being dragged to the unlimited, and the plot sucks and it ends with a really idiotic reason to prove that "you see why Vash did the right thing?". Also, I don't know if they want to follow the manga or the anime, because every character feel mishandled (especially Vash who is kind of a stalker without reason).
To its credit, however, the animation is really cool and the world reaaaally pops up with all those Nightow designs and colors and animation, the halfway action scene was awesome; the fight in the bar, while stretched, was fun; and at least the two characters from the movie had a sense of fun that it's usually missing in these kinds of movies. But doesn't save it sadly.

Oh lord! Someone who watched Rose of Versailles! Beautiful story! I agree with everything you said. I wish the first half wasn't as bland.

As for Badlands Rumble, I agree again. This felt like fanservice, and it wasn't even subtle. Wolfwood keeps calling Vash "Noodle Noggin." I don't remember him doing that in the show too much. The characters are one-dimensional. I do enjoy Gasback, but not as much as the movie seems to want me to.

Don't get me started on how irritatingly generic Redhead was. Her motivation is the most "world's smallest violin, boo hoo" story I've seen in a while. Vash taking off her boots and feeling her legs up was also weird. Japan seemed to think that was funny, but... erm... he's sexually assaulting her. Our heroes, ladies and gentlemen. Vash the Stampede will not let anyone die on his watch... so long as he gets to feel up some ladies. I admit, it's funny when Lupin does this because the ladies don't seem to mind, or, if they do dislike it, they beat him up! Vash made Redhead feel helpless, which is... beyond out of character. He peeped on a girl once in an anime-exclusive scene early on, but that's it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Oh lord! Someone who watched Rose of Versailles!

Are you being sarcastic? Lots of people have watched it. In fact, it was only because so many fans had watched it via fansubs that it came out on home video.

Oh and by the way, the first half wasn't bland or boring. I don't know why people keep on insisting that it was. Tadao Nagahama may not be as well-known or stylistically bold as Osamu Dezaki, but he did a very competent job for the show's first half.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Lately I've been feeling burnt out from watching recent anime so I've been mostly either viewing older anime OVAs or rewatching episodes from some of my favorite series. In this this escapade of boredom, I've found myself rewatching the first 4 episodes of White Album 2 BDs. I plan to write my thoughts (not really criticisms but what I caught) on the show in separate pieces to reflect my first viewing to the second.

Ep 1-4
Coming into the show with prior knowledge made me more aware of the character interactions and understand them better. While the first four episodes don't really delve into the romance involved within this series, they sure do give a lot of subtle hints -- hints that I missed in my initial viewing. Stuff like Haruki, the protagonist, describing spoiler[Touma (one of the love interests) to his friends and and Touma's own description of Haruki to Setsuna (another love interest)] passed by me at first. These details appeared minor but knowing who Haruki truly loves makes them more glaring. Additionally, only two characters seem to be clear of Haruki’s true love interest. One of them being Iizuka, the president of the Light Music Assocation (LMA), and a character that won’t be mentioned just yet since it’s revealed later.

Since I brought up the LMA, it should be noted that these four episodes revolves entirely around Haruki recruiting people into LMA after internal issues caused the previous roster to fall apart. Haruki successfully recruits Setsuna as vocalist and Touma as pianist to remedy the issue. He does has difficulties convincing Touma but she eventually agrees with the help of Setsuna. To go into detail about the characters: Setsuna is hailed as an idol within their school and Haruki’s attempt to recruit her passes off as him hitting on her to his friends. This definitely hints at some form of romance involved in this show and is made further clear when Setsuna pats/fixes Haruki’s hair despite the two not being in a relationship. Haruki is an amateur guitarist and the top student. Touma’s well skilled in instruments and music in general as she is revealed to be the spoiler[ secret musician student playing along with Haruki in the beginning ]. Also, she does poorly in her studies. So yeah, not too much about them. I guess the biggest piece of information regarding the characters are the hints I mentioned above and Haruki's description of Setsuna not looking like what she is.

Not much occurs here besides the LMA’s preparation to play in the school festival and the training Haruki goes through, i.e. 10 hours of practice a day and Setsuna figuring out spoiler[ that Haruki has been staying over at Touma’s to practice]. This leads to tension but that’ll be cover in my next segment.

Animation wise, the show doesn't look all too different from what I remember of the TV series. A lot of things look and feel the same, with very slight glimpses of QUALITY which are notably characters in the background and not who the focus is on when there is dialogue. I didn't pay attention to the music much in my first viewing but hearing the piano play in the background of episode 1 was something I noticed. It added a bit to my second watch but overall, I don't see much of a reason to rewatch the show other than a desire to or finding stuff you've missed.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Oh and by the way, the first half wasn't bland or boring. I don't know why people keep on insisting that it was. Tadao Nagahama may not be as well-known or stylistically bold as Osamu Dezaki, but he did a very competent job for the show's first half.

It's not that I thought it was boring (I was totally on board during the first 13 episodes or so, and the direction has some pretty artistic shots), I wasn't bored, it's just I was starting to get a little tired of some of the subplots happening in Versailles and concerned that the whole series was only going to be that and less focused in aspects like the French Revolution or so. Seeing the series as a whole it's not that bad, it's just while you are watching without knowing.

Oh, also, damn spoiler narrator! I know this is history but you could still shut up some parts, you know? Mad
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
^
Given what the series is called, the story focusing on Marie Antoinette (the titular "rose") and the palace of Versailles is not off-topic. It's right there in the title. Of course, Oscar still gets a lot of attention and so she should.

Those subplots at the palace were actually really necessary, as they set the foundation for people turning on the royalty. In fact, I think that's perhaps what many fans don't realise; the fireworks of the show's second half are built upon the deliberate and patient buildup of the first half. Payoff is more fun to watch than setup, but both are equally important.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 872 of 1061