• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:24 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
2. Ryuji being "so scary looking that no one will talk to him" seems to be a plot point that was dropped after episode one. I'm glad they dropped it (along with only treating Taiga like a public menace sparingly, since she's really not intimidating at all), but still, it's a bit weird to introduce a character with such a strong reputation and just... forget about it.

Been a while since I watched it, but I think it partially came from Taiga knocking him, that he supposedly lost to her. And I am pretty sure at one point Taiga makes an effort to stop people thinking the worst of him.

Toradora is a pretty fantastic show. Actually feel a little jealous at being able to watch it for the first time. Also, I am pretty sure Ami became my favourite character in the show.
kellyon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
I watch K-On! mostly. It's my personal favourite and one of the best feel good SoLs that got me into the genre, fantastic visuals, characters, music and warm feelings. Also I'm a huge fan of space exploration and like to watch live webcam https://worldcams.tv/other/international-space-station from International Space Station. Experts from NASA are interviewed and speeches can be viewed on this camera also. Now I have an idea of how the Earth looks from space. Amazing view.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:36 am Reply with quote
Watching the 2nd season of SpiritPact. It's as weirdly entertaining as the first and seems to be making a bit more sense. Tanmoku is still punctuating his sentences by coughing up blood, but they threw in a nifty acknowledgement of that when it was revealed that spoiler[a guy he thought was dead has been secretly kept around on life support to give him blood transfusions, since I guess they both have special spiritual blood or something.] I totally did a spit take myself over that one.

They also kinda threw me for a loop when they went from Japan to Iceland by train. Because Iceland doesn't have airports but does have a 1000 mile bridge to Europe? (at least they flew home.) Also, I'm still not quite clear why they'd invite a Japanese spirit master and a feng shui expert to deal with all the trolls, elves, gnomes and other Nordic creatures that would be the most likely cause of the problems they were asked to fix. I'm also not sure where the wolves came from, as Iceland has none. Foxes, yes, wolves, no.

But all this nonsense is why I find this series so endearing. Smile
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:39 am Reply with quote
I've been watching Fate/Apocrypha. I think I have 3 episodes left so I'm very close to the end. It's been a very enjoyable experience. It has a lot of that standard Grail War stuff that I expected to see out of it. Lots of different characters with different motivations and lots of cool fight scenes. I feel like the pacing has been slightly too fast. There's no time to catch breath. It's just action all the time. A couple of breather episodes here and there could have gone a long way.

The animation is good. Episode 22 apparently caught a lot of attention or something. I personally didn't like how it looked. It was hard to kinda tell what was going on sometimes, characters were off-model and some shots almost looked like someone just ate a bunch of crayons and puked them onto a paper. I understand why someone might like that kind of artistic style but I didn't like it. The previous episode was a lot more impressive.

The show has been hinting at some kind of romantic development between Ruler and Sieg. They are together in the openings and atleast in one promo pic. But that development has been introduced way too late in the story and Ruler hasn't been with Sieg enough to understandably fall for him so the whole thing feels a bit hollow.

P.S. Rider of Black is the best character.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
I have had it for a little while, but with the new season bringing a new anime in Sword Art Online, I decided to give my copy of the Sword Art Online the Movie: Ordinal Scale a watch. I enjoyed it. I know that it is all the rage to diss the franchise, and maybe it makes me a bit of a fanboy that I have continued to enjoy all the anime.

I am sure the actual set up for reasoning of the climax, but I found it pretty awesome. I generally just appreciate it all for setting up the confrontation, and have fun with it. A good two hour movie, that I don't feel was forced on too much to the world. Music was as good as ever, animation was great, characters had their own things. The number one complain seen to the franchise is saying Kirito is just perfect, but he had plenty of flaws in the movie.

I give a rating of Excellent (9/10), I really enjoyed my time with it, and won't let other peoples opinions change that for me.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Currently watching Peach Girl. Being the completionist I am, I wanted to plow through this series fully as I did watch and ditch it after two episodes years ago when I rented it via Netflix. Going through it thus far, it's proving to be a somewhat frustrating watch as the entirety of the series is focused on Sae's single-minded quest to ruin Momo's life as much as possible and the characters often being oblivious to her manipulations, just for the sake of cheap melodrama. Up to the 11th episode on it thus far, though I'm not progressing as quickly through it as I could for other titles since I need to have breaks to get over how annoyed I am getting with the utter shallowness and stupidity of its cast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Progress Report

I'm back. I also finished Pop Team Epic. Hop on over to my thread to see what became of it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote
Since I've been watching a fair amount of live-action shows (like West World) I've fallen behind on anime. So I'm catching up a bit on some from past seasons.

I'm watching and almost done with Devilman Crybaby. It feels like I'm watching Hieronymus Bosch's painting The Garden of Earthly Delights animated, in that it is both beautiful and grotesque. It also seems appropriate to call it beautiful and grotesque considering the sexual content. The first couple of episodes feel a little incoherent. At first I felt I would have preferred a little more clarity or more abstraction in the beginning, but after the 1/2 way point or so it becomes more solid. Really enjoying it.

I'm also watching and up to episode 6 of the yuri infused Citrus. I have not looked at any reviews, but I heard it was a little contentious. I really liked the first 3 episodes and I wasn't put off by Mei's spoiler[advances on Yuzu], because I thought the show made an effort to demonstrate that she was both being a little mean and was acting out due to her issues. However, the 4th episode really turned me off because it crossed the line from I guess spoiler[acceptable trashy to assault with Momo doing her best impersonation of "grab them by the p***y"]. Its a shame because I like that the show has some momentum as opposed to some other yuri romances and Yuzu is actually a terrific character. I guess I'll have to see where it goes from here.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
Finished Devilman Crybaby. I can't wait till this comes out on disc. Its definitely something I could watch multiple times. I found the show to be surprisingly inclusive with its spoiler[mixed race, LGBT characters and disaffected youth--considering all the vagina dentatas in the first 2 episodes]. My small complaints would be that the show felt a little unfocused with its first episodes, but definitely gets stronger as the show progresses. I also wouldn't have minded seeing a little more about Miko's character. Rating: VG to Excellent.

Also finished catching up on more shows like Inuyashiki. Inuyashiki is like a blunt instrument in comparison to Devilman Crybaby. It has a lot potential themes it could discuss or at least make me care about, but it just glosses over them. Issues about ageism, youth vs adults, social media, and what it means to be human. Its all handled in a very superficial way, that I'm not left caring about the characters or these themes. While it was really nice to see an older character be the main hero there seems to be an undercurrent of rage against youth in the show and holding up the post-war generation as more morally upright and therefore courageous. So while the show had some nice visuals and cool action, it felt shallow and left me feeling a little empty. Rating: Decent

Still working on Citrus, I'm around episode 9 now. Unfortunately, its come to feel predictable and its actually turned a bit into a chore the last 3 episodes. I'm beginning to doubt even Yuzu's charms can save it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
So my gf and I have been trying to clear out some of the backlog titles we wanted to watch together. I'll often watch stuff on Crunchy and she often watches her own. Then we'll often go back and watch a titled dubbed together.

Currently we're watching Dimension W & Noragami season 1. I keep thinking that Dimension W is giving me a very similar vibe that Solty Rei did. Really enjoying Noragami and it's dub.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I try to watch Violet Evergarden on Netflix and I have a hard time watching it. Other than the animation, this show is so boring. This show feels like a very nice tech demo similar how I felt about Blood: The Last Vampire when I saw it back in the early 2000's.

I'm at episode 2 and I'm not sure if I want to finish it. It's not awful, but I feel like it's just meh so far.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Mysterious Girlfriend X. I guess it has an unusual female lead character, but that's about the only good thing I can say about the show. It's just way too slow paced. 7 episodes in and I feel like barely anything has happened so far. The relationship between the two leads has barely advanced and that's not a good thing in a show where the main focus is that relationship. Tsubaki meets up with Urabe, eats (or drinks?) her drool and that's it. That's what I feel like every episode has been like so far. The show is right around that point between boring and enjoyable. It's like eating air, I feel nothing.

I've also been watching an episode of Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts here and there. Yeah, it's lame and boring. The comedy doesn't work for me and that's kinda the only thing the show has. So when I feel like sucking life out of myself I watch an episode of it.

So I felt like I wanted something with more energy. Something to invoke enjoyment. So I picked up A Place Further Than the Universe since a lot of people seemed to have liked it. It was a good choice. The show has a lot of energy. It has a lovable and charming cast. It's funny. It's exactly what I needed. Wonderful.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:30 am Reply with quote
Since it's not an anime, I'll make my thoughts on Infinity War very brief. It's an intense, dramatic story with very few things that I disliked, an amazing cast of characters, the best villain in the film franchise its apart of thus far, and some of the best emotional moments in any movie I've seen in years besides Coco. I highly recommend it alongside the rest of the MCU.

Now, as for anime, I'm on episode 23 of Infinite Ryvius. Things are getting interesting, though I admit that certain things that are now MAJOR plot details slipped my mind due to how much time had past since I last watched it. The death of... the little girl whose name escapes me seriously didn't click in my mind even though it was the last episode I watched before I took a break for a week to focus on school. A lot of the conflict and character struggles come from things that I feel are lost in the cultural barrier, such as the protagonist's submissive attitude (which we're supposed to support over the more pragmatic actions of his crew because... Japanese society), the way that the love interest is apparently somehow the protagonist's responsibility despite them being the same age and not even in an official relationship... I could go on, but really, I think it's a great show. It just lacks the personal resonance with me.

After this, I guess I'll marathon Violet Evergarden and a few other anime from this Winter.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:32 am Reply with quote
With a current airing anime that I don't really want to make a whole discussion of, I did just watch the 4th episode of the current airing Last Period. It is not exactly a good show, but I think it occasionally has done something kind of note. An interesting quirk, I think that the villains, Wiseman, are actually the best characters in the show, especially evident that a few of the main character were especially terrible in this episode, while the villains were kind of good. They also are the feature of the ED. It has managed to stay entertaining so far, despite feeling rather derivative.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Uchuu Senkan Tiramisu, a short about a boy and his cockpit, in space. It's really hit or miss with its humor, but sometimes it does something so outlandishly stupid I can't help but laugh. The MC's name is Subaru, and this week we learned his brother's name is Isuzu, which just tickled me well beyond its comedic value. Maybe I was already in a good mood from watching Subaru bedazzle friend and foe alike with his mech's ostentatious Christmas light decorations. I didn't think Japanese people did that, although given how some of them trick out their cars, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they might've latched on to this Americanism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1006 of 1061