• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I watched the first six episodes of Fate/Extra Last Encore, which is nothing like the game and is really confusing, but... um... I guess it's not terrible. If you include the Studio Shaft touches that made it visually stimulating, I think it's worth something. Ghost Girl is cool, and even though Rin is underutilized, I like that they let her be there. Other than that though, I'd say it's pretty unremarkable. A 4/10 so far. Even Clannad season 1, which I'd give a solid 5/10, made me laugh a couple times and had a great ED song.

Well, that was what I thought at first, but then the final handful of episodes changed my mind. When I finished Extra, I thought a lot of the later elements were interesting, even if they were a bit rushed. I liked that they actually went into this Saber's backstory, this version of Rin was given quite a bit of interesting baggage with Rani, and the protagonist, who I feared would remain a bland Kirito-type character... well, he kind of was one, but he had a lot of interesting pathos to his backstory. Not to mention that Alice was one of the most disturbingly tragic things this side of Nina Tucker. My God, once they revealed what she was, I just sat there saying "PLEASE KILL IT! FOR ITS OWN SAKE!" She had to die, but I wish there was another way.

GAH! Anyway, I think I'd give it a 6/10 due to the slow first half. Maybe a 6.5 if it had a proper ending.

Extra isn't done yet, and that's not helpful, but it is also not a direct game adaptation either, which is what fans were expecting. It's also not newbie friendly either.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
I watched the first six episodes of Fate/Extra Last Encore, which is nothing like the game and is really confusing, but... um... I guess it's not terrible. If you include the Studio Shaft touches that made it visually stimulating, I think it's worth something. Ghost Girl is cool, and even though Rin is underutilized, I like that they let her be there. Other than that though, I'd say it's pretty unremarkable. A 4/10 so far. Even Clannad season 1, which I'd give a solid 5/10, made me laugh a couple times and had a great ED song.

Well, that was what I thought at first, but then the final handful of episodes changed my mind. When I finished Extra, I thought a lot of the later elements were interesting, even if they were a bit rushed. I liked that they actually went into this Saber's backstory, this version of Rin was given quite a bit of interesting baggage with Rani, and the protagonist, who I feared would remain a bland Kirito-type character... well, he kind of was one, but he had a lot of interesting pathos to his backstory. Not to mention that Alice was one of the most disturbingly tragic things this side of Nina Tucker. My God, once they revealed what she was, I just sat there saying "PLEASE KILL IT! FOR ITS OWN SAKE!" She had to die, but I wish there was another way.

GAH! Anyway, I think I'd give it a 6/10 due to the slow first half. Maybe a 6.5 if it had a proper ending.

Extra isn't done yet, and that's not helpful, but it is also not a direct game adaptation either, which is what fans were expecting. It's also not newbie friendly either.

...I played the game. These are all things that I know.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Finished Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens. I didn't have any interest in watching it when it aired during the winter season, but changed my mind after seeing numerous people praise it. It wasn't one of the greatest shows ever, but it was worth seeing once. Loved the main crew, but was disappointed that we didn't learn more about Banba since he was my favorite character.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Right now, I'm watching Mr. Tonegawa and I really like it so far. It may not be Kaiji season 3, but at least it's something. I do plan to finish Psycho Pass season 1 before July ends. I'm currently at Episode 12 of Psycho Pass.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Watched Time Travel Girl. I started watching this but then the Crunchy-Funi deal happened and I was cut off.

Edutainment shows have a special place in my heart. I got into history because of a show called Liberty's Kids on PBS (I know, not anime related). Anyway, Time Travel Girl ended up being a really fun show. It's not one of the best things ever (though it came close), but it's something I see myself watching again in the future.

The characters were fun and actually grew through the course of the show. It also addressed issues like slavery, religion vs science, and how science and business are at odds with each other. There were some feels to be had, particularly the episode with Hertz. I didn't really think of the villain as a stereotypical one, more like an antagonist. However, the villain aspect got played heavily in the end.

The show is one of those things where I was sad for it to be over and wanted more.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Godzilla 2: City of the Edge of Battle - I didn't have much high hopes for this movie. I thought it would be okay at best like the first movie. This movie was way worse than I thought I thought it was going to be.

Our main character is still dull and annoying as he was in the last movie. He is just another typical character that wants revenge because of Godzilla killing his family. Everyone else in the movie was so boring too and I didn't care for anything that was going on. While I like the scenes between Haruo and Yuko, everything else in the movie was still bad.

The movie has horrendous pacing. This movie feels like it goes on for three hours and I just wanted it end as soon as possible. spoiler[I kept waiting for the actual MechaGodzilla to show up and fight Godzilla which never happened. Godzilla doesn't show up until an hour into the movie and he barely does anything.] I also hate how these characters do nothing in the movie and have learn nothing from the last movie. With these type of movies, the main character goes through the most pain and suffering than any other point in the movie. That allows them to experience possibly their most personal growth which something that this movie lacks.

I also hate how spoiler[ MechaGodzilla is now some sentient city that now can eat people too if they spend too much time in the city (MG is now like the ship in Event Horizon)
They killed off Yuko, who is probably one of the better main characters in the movie.]

I give Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters a rating of "Decent" because I felt like it was not a bad movie. However this movie is way worse and I consider it to be one of the worst Godzilla movie in my opinion. I give it a rating of "Bad". Don't even bother with this movie even if you’re a big Godzilla fan like me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:59 am Reply with quote
Got my pirate hat on, not for the anime I just watched like it had pirates, but method to watch because I have no idea if it would come out. I watched the Love Chuunibyou and Other Delusions movie; Eiga Chūnibyō demo Koi ga Shitai! Take On Me. I think it was a bit of finality to things, seemed to spoiler[keep that no pressure for Rikka to go cold turkey with removing her delusions, but by her thoughts, she was falling love with each other that marriage seemed a likely possibility and the happiness meant she did not need to rely on her fantasies anymore that she felt them slipping away]. That does sound a bit like where the series was before it started, but it felt like a real change that spoiler[Rikka was probably okay with leaving her alter ego persona behind].

I think some of the real fun of the movie though was the locations, that it really had fun with the characters going on a tour around Japan. I guess in that way it is sort of like K-ON movie, although Japan. It was a fun watch as the characters did their thing, Rikka and Yuuta going around pretty comfortably, him even getting into it a bit with weapons, and buddy cop like situation with Nibutani and Dekomori. I think I also liked this movie because school was not some thing that they had to fit in with, it was kind of a sense of freedom, even if it was all on the run. I give the Chuunibyou movie a rating of Very good (8/10), a real fun time for those that are a fan, and in line for other KyoAni movies.

Oh, and they totally went to the shopping location of Tamoko Market, I think they even got mochi from the business. Well truth was that I sort of noticed the mochi first, and rewound.

phia_one wrote:
Watched Time Travel Girl. I started watching this but then the Crunchy-Funi deal happened and I was cut off.

Time Travel Girl is one of those show that I think are certainly really underrated, that really clicked with me despite young target audience kind of setting, a really nice example of edutainment. I was really happy when Animegataris mentioned it, a nice obscure title.
petran79

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I started with Gundam just a year ago and mainly the ones where Tomino was involved. But his non-Gundam series were as good, if not better. Personally I consider Dunbine as his best work.

Made a short marathon with the remaining series he was involved as main director:

Daitarn 3:
Standard 70s mecha were the opponents are mechanised humans that turn into giant robots. A very good comedy mecha, though it does not lack in drama either. It parodises the mecha genre in ways not even modern parody series would dream off. This is the best part of the series and the only one that makes it worth watching. Animation is poor but it suffices to be funny.

Xabungle:
Another underrated mecha series in a post-apocalyptic world. It is rich both in humor, action and drama. The mechas here do not involve any kind of superpower, they are only powered by gasoline. Then you have a 3 day rule, where everything you do or are inflicted can be forgotten if 3 days have passed. Feels like a road movie series. Characters were all very funny but also dramatic where need be. One of the good mecha adventure series that never takes itself too seriously.

L-Gaim:
This felt like the true precursor to Zeta Gundam instead of 0079. Protagonist looks like Camille, another character appearing for few secs looks like the one from ZZ and robot fights are realistic with laser swords. 54 episodes with no recaps or reused animation. That is a rarity even for the 80s. There is also the fairy of Dunbine, ensuring for some funny moments. Though it had some pacing issues and change between humor and drama was not as smooth, I liked it overall. But I wished Gundam had such humor at least instead of being that serious and depressing.

King Gainer:
I had heard about the opening years ago but ignored the series because I ignored Tomino. Somehow his involvement in newer series failed to yield the results of the previous decades. While Gainer was not a trainwreck like Reconguista, I felt it had the potential to be so much better. Had it 50 episodes it could reach Eureka 7 status. World setting was very rich. One character even resembled Anemone. But everything felt so rushed and many things were left unexplained. Ending was so rushed. Not even including a special ED theme.Animation and battles had good production values and the mechas were unique. Best eyecatch too.

After all this I had enough of mecha and consider Tomino one of the best anime directors

Now my plan is to leave battles, deaths,blood, guts and laser swords behind and enter sugary cuteness. I'll try and watch all 216 episodes of Doremi, because this is the only long lasting series that makes sense to watch. Cant be as bad as Reconguista....
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
My personal favorite work of Tomino is 1980’s Space Runaway Ideon, but Dunbine is definitely a close second! I have to admit that I keep forgetting that L Gaim was directed by Tomino.

While they look very similar and share the same voice actor, the fairy in Dunbine and the one in L Gaim are two different characters.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
I've been watching Snow White with the Red Hair. It's a fairly sweet romance story. Both the main characters are likable. I like Shirayuki's assertiveness, but her character feels a bit too perfect sometimes. I like Zen more as a character. He struggles more and I like his personality more. He is slightly rebellious and playful, but still understands his responsibilities. Zen and Shirayuki go very well together, they have good chemistry and feel comfortable around each other. Zen's aides Kiki and Mitsuhide are also really likable, I'll be shipping those two.

There's a bit of drama to keep things interesting, the characters are likable and the main couple is sweet together. It's fairly slow paced, but I'm liking the show well enough so far.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I finished watching the incredibly mediocre Angels 3Piece about a lolicon teenager hikikomori and his loli pop rock band of 5th graders. The mediocrity left a bad taste in my mouth so I decided to watch something really good.

The next day I was reflecting on the best anime I experienced and just had written down my newest update on my top 10 favorite anime series. I decided to include From the New World and since I haven't watched it since it first aired I decided to re-watch it now. So far I watched the first 9 episodes and it's as great as I remember it. Truly a special series, in fact I cannot remember any anime that is similar to it. A truly intelligent serious series but also endowed with a deep sense of style, something that is lacking for instance in Psycho Pass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'm alive. (Albeit on edge because I'm having wisdom teeth extracted next week). So I'm catching up on Stardust Crusaders and have just finished the Vanilla Ice three-parter.

spoiler[For what it's worth, I totally ship Dio/Ice.]

Also, yes, I'm doing my best on Devilman Crybaby. It's taking a while because adulthood keeps getting in the way. It's times like these when I wish I was back in high school.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
The Night Is Short, Walk on Girl was amazing. Probably the best theatrical experience that I had in a very long time. It was only in theaters for two days and I went to see it today. I highly recommend it because the movie has wonderful characters, great humor, amazing animation, great camerawork and fantastic use of surrealism. Another win for Masaaki Yuasa. I rate it a "Masterpiece". All of Yuasa's anime has been gold so far.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. and it's brilliant. I like all the characters. I absolutely love Saiki's deadpan comments. It's hilarious how Saiki's attempts to have a quiet, peaceful life just end up biting him in the ass. And if things end up working out in the end, there's usually a catch and it's funny. And even sometimes a bad situation ends up working out in the end. Every episode is composed of like 5 or so short stories so the show never feels like it drags on. Sometimes the short stories are connected which is cool. The show is so consistently funny.

P.S. I'm still kinda undecided whether Saiki with his eyes crossed looks funny or off-puttingly weird when he uses clairvoyance.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Rewatched One Piece with some normie friends who've never watched it before, and one who watched it and thought he hated it (4kids dub is to blame). Honestly, I do think that One Piece has a slow start with a lot of promise, and I don't even say that dismissively. I LOVE the start of One Piece. I love how small-scale it starts off before getting truly outlandish and crazy once they get to the Grand Line. We got to the start of the Baratie Arc and finished the episode where Sanji first appears.

Going through the first few arcs, there's not a lot that I can say that I haven't thought for years now. It's a great introduction, and my only complaint is that Nami's early introduction in episodes 1-3 were really pandering. I don't think it was necessary to market the character this early, and stealing a chart of the Grand Line from a Marine base feels nonsensical for someone who has seen One Piece's world to the extent that I have. There are a few minor inconsistencies that get retconned later one (I'm pretty sure that some marines are heard saying that they thought Devil Fruits were just an urban legend, but the fact that SEVERAL of the Marine higher ups, including everyone above Vice-Admiral level, is a devil fruit-user, this sounds incredibly unlikely), but aside from that, there's nothing I'd complain about. Someone stupid could argue "OH! Morgan and Alvida are such bland, weak villains," but that's kind of the point of starter villains in a Shounen Jump story.

A lot of people think that the show doesn't get good until Arlong, but I completely disagree. I think that the first great arc is the Kuro arc. Kuro is a genuinely terrifying villain, and while he's weak compared to most of the later ones, he's the first one to feel like a true threat to the crew. Even before we see what he's capable of, the fact that as Klahadore, he gains the trust of the viewer by playing the compassionate butler card really drives his villainous side home when it's revealed. The fact that he was planning to murder his entire crew to leave no witnesses further shows his depravity. Not to mention that his design of a glasses-wearing butler with long, katana-bladed fingered gloves is stunning, threatening, and god dammit, cool.

Usopp, my personal favorite character in all of One Piece, got a truly great introduction. We see him as a lying coward, but we're also shown how kindhearted he is right from the start. In his introduction episode, the instant he finds out that real pirates (The Straw Hat Pirates) are on the shores of his home island, he immediately takes his crew of small children and tries to intimidate the potential hostiles away with threats of his 80,000 man crew. He then treats the Straw Hats to lunch and goes to Kaya's where it turns out he's been telling her stories to cheer her up for years. He is a good man with the biggest heart out of any of the Straw Hat Pirates.

The part where Luffy tells Kuro that Usopp is a far greater Pirate Captain than him was beautiful, and Luffy's reason for protecting the village being that there's "a great man that he doesn't want to die in this village" shows how great a person he is in his simplicity. Really, this is where One Piece starts becoming more emotionally resonant with the viewer, even if Arlong is where it truly skyrockets for the first time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1012 of 1061