• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part of Shana is the fact that Funimation made the outstanding business decision to not redub the first season or get Ocean Group to dub the remaining two seasons. By having all the voice actors change awkwardly between seasons, it almost forces people to watch it in Japanese. Truly outstanding business move.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I advise not to get hopes too high for season 3

HEY... Light My Fire (the only good Shana Kotoko opening) is an awesome opening.

I don't remember anything about the 3rd season so I can't really comment further. Though I do remember kinda being bewildered by Yuuji and what his role was in the 3rd season.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
(the only good Shana Kotoko opening)

Hey now! That isn't true; 'Joint' really gets me pumped! D: 'Being' is nice too.

............actually there are no KOTOKO anime OPs I dislike that I've seen......anyway.

@Dusk: eh if stuff goes unanswered, there are still the LNs....though it would be nice if they weren't being totally ignored by US companies. *flips table*

@louis: I don't disagree with you on any of that OP stuff....except for your Koza death wish....but you already know why so I won't elaborate. Anime hyper INDEED, PELL BEING ALIVE IS BULLSHEEEEEEEET. lol
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Hey now! That isn't true; 'Joint' really gets me pumped!

Joint is by Mami Kawada... I like all the Mami Kawada's Shana openings except for the 3rd season's Serment. Joint and Prophecy (OVA's opening) are among my favourite openings of all time. I don't think much of Kotoko's songs in general. Light My Fire and umm... Please Teacher's opening are two Kotoko openings I like. There's a Please Teacher music video thingy 'Snow Angel' by Kotoko that I really, really like though.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
@louis: I don't disagree with you on any of that OP stuff....except for your Koza death wish....but you already know why so I won't elaborate. Anime hyper INDEED, PELL BEING ALIVE IS BULLSHEEEEEEEET. lol

Koza surviving is just weird, but I'm okay with it because I like Toto and I think it would be kind of a downer to have him bring life back to Yuba after the war despite having to deal with the news that, not only was the rebellion pointless due to his son being wrong, but his son died pointlessly. I actually think Toto deserves a happy ending and robbing him of that would be too dark even if he's just a minor character.

ANYWAY, time to watch the Sky Island Saga, one of my favorite parts of One Piece~!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
@Dusk: eh if stuff goes unanswered, there are still the LNs....though it would be nice if they weren't being totally ignored by US companies. *flips table*

I don't really remember anything that was really left unanswered. It is just... have you seen season 2 of Tokyo Ghoul? Characters may not always act in ways you are happy for stretches of the show.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

Joint is by Mami Kawada...

Oh...my bad. xD They just sound really similar....but it's all 'I've Sound', right?

Quote:
I don't think much of Kotoko's songs in general.

The three from Kannazuki No Miko are my favorites...and are also in my top 20 Favorite Songs of all time. I listen to them over and over and over and over...despite my very strong mixed feelings about the series itself. lol I both love and hate it.

@louis: TOTO IS A GOOD MAN.

@Dusk: I haven't....actually TG is one of the few popular titles I have not checked out. But yeah, I've heard bad things about S2 lol.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
-looks at to watch list- Hmmm...

Detective Conan, Certain Magical Index, finish Toradora, Cardcaptor Sakura, and everything on Netflix Queue... OR... Continue rewatching One Piece for the 14th time.

Really tough sell, gonna have to go with One Piece.

On that note, finished Planetarian. This series did more in 5 episodes than most anime do in a lifetime. I'm convinced that if all anime were ONAs that simply took the exact number of episodes needed to tell their stories instead of either being FAR too long and dragged out or FAR too short and rushed. A simple story with beautiful visual storytelling to convey the majesty of astrology and the comfort that one can find in simple pleasures after society falls apart. The main girl is a top-tier waifu who doesn't get enough love, and the protagonist has more personality than most VN protagonists despite the fact that he literally doesn't have a name (the credits call him Junker... because he's a junker).

I give it a 9.2/10. I feel like the real story ended at episode 3, but the emotional climax was great despite feeling tacked on. Probably my favorite Key Adaptation ever, only rivaled by Angel Beats.

Um... I also watched some of season 2 of Ducktales 2017. The season premiere was pretty good. Webby and Dewey are an adorable team, and their closeness feels genuinely earned, unlike most couples and male/female best friends where the protagonist and love interest feel like they were always on a crash course to marriage since they first met.

I love that Dewey and Webby met as awkward friends, and in fact, Webby seemed initially just as happy to befriend Dewey as she was with his two siblings. It wasn't until a few episodes later that they started researching Della together, and their interactions through the entirety of season one all built to how they interact in season two. Hell, they even sang a weird Character Song Duet together in the reintroduction scene as they adventured with Scrooge and the family in the first scene of the season.

In most thing (movie sequels, anime, and western cartoons alike) when two characters whose friendship was established for the first time onscreen and whose personalities initially clashed in any way act intimate and open with each other, I stop and question when the hell they got so close. Especially in the shoujo and harem genres. Here, however, I totally buy that Dewey and Webby know each other's movements when maneuvering traps, I buy that Webby is genuinely excited, even hyperactive, at the thought of getting to partner with Dewey on family game night, and I even buy that she and Dewey sing an embarrassing song about how they're partners in front of everybody while maneuvering such traps.

I think my favorite parts of the episode were when Dewey failed at charades when Webby was doing very obvious impressions of Scrooge, and after several failings as a team on game night and getting into several fights due to not being PERFECTLY in sync a couple of times, Dewey admits to Scrooge that he thought Webby was his best friend, but he questions it now that there were so many setbacks. Scrooge's fatherly smile as he says the next line genuinely made me smile in such a way that I can't remember western cartoons doing since the finale of Gravity Falls.

"Of course you're not friends! You drive each other crazier than anyone could and still care about each other more than anyone. You're not friends.You're family!"

This theme is exemplified in Scrooge and Donald's team during game night, affectionately named Team Uncle by Scrooge. Donald was introduced as estranged from his uncle, holding a bitter grudge against him for whatever adventure cost Donald his sister and the boys' mother, and yet despite their arguments, they understand and trust each other perfectly, easily winning every game during their game night. Another moment that made me smile was when Scrooge and Donald hug after winning together, then feel embarrassed and give each other a handshake instead, realizing that they're still in front of the rest of the family.

Oh, also Louie and Huey's subplot was... fine. I dunno. It really wasn't as great as I was expecting. Louie came across as kind of a dick (more than usual). It was semi-worth it for the scene at the end with Scrooge and Louie, but I found the plot unneeded.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
They just sound really similar....but it's all 'I've Sound', right?

Today I learned something. I didn't even what I've Sound was and that they were all part of it... Embarassed
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Took my eight-year-old boy to the cinema to see Castle in the Sky this afternoon. Such a powerful film. My impression was that the version we saw combined the souped-up orchestral score with the later, more restrained edit of the Disney dub. Which made for a good theatre dub.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:14 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Took my eight-year-old boy to the cinema to see Castle in the Sky this afternoon. Such a powerful film. My impression was that the version we saw combined the souped-up orchestral score with the later, more restrained edit of the Disney dub. Which made for a good theatre dub.

Oh! That's actually my favorite Ghibli movie. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who loves it.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
It's a really good film, I agree. Do you think it doesn't get its due? If so, why do you think that is? Because it's an epic, so it gets eclipsed by Nausicaä and Princess Mononoke maybe?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Just watched Tiramisu 8, wherein Subaru inadvertently becomes a popular mangaka and then has to choose between that and a mission (all in 6 min of screentime). It had the best line of angsty dialogue I've ever heard in a shounen: Is there only one job I'm the only man for!? Laughing

Also very much enjoying Jingai-san. I have no idea what to make of it, but it's cute as all get out. I've been kind of worried about the creature that seems to be made of bandages, since sometimes it kind of seems to be afraid of its waifu's crazy obsession with it, but then it will do something that shows it does love him and is happy.

The first episode was kind of a dud, with 2/3 of its 3-min run-time taken up by OP/ED, but after that it's been great, weird fun. I wish the eps were 5 or 6 min.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:28 am Reply with quote
I really don't want to talk about an updated episode of a show that I also mentioned last week, might as well make a topic for it, but Conception makes me want to mention it, while not really worth its own topic in general. I mentioned with episode 6 that the show had met a new low by making light of things that should not be done so. But with episode 7, it kind of hit a new high, in actually being funny, at least half the episode was, the half around one particular character. Collette, the baker girl, was kind of part of funny jokes in the previous episode, and at the end it kind of set itself by going full crazy with her, and this episode did that.

I think that I have made a comment earlier that often a lot of sex comedies work best when, when they let themselves be absurd, and probably acknowledge that it is silly and weird. And that was exactly most of this episode did, with a character who was a baker of all things. I think that what started to get my attention was when they put a spoiler[censor over bread she made], implying that it spoiler[does not look safe for TV], along with other random creations. It worked funny because on paper she is one of the blandest characters, being innocent kind hearted character, but in practice she somehow comes across as naughty despite not playing up her body or.

The episode was pretty lewd, but also funny, which it did through its lewdness, without feeling like it is being cheap in just trying to get views through sexy imagery. Which I think is the best thing ecchi comedies can do. So, while I am not saying it is a turning point, the show did what I would call right at least one part of the show, if anything could be taken from it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:37 am Reply with quote
And again. At this point, being so late in the show, I can't be making a topic for Conception, but it really came into its own. Episode 8 was surprisingly creative for this harem anime, where the episode was a parody of spoiler[The Bachelor], and again it felt like the show focused on being silly and having fun with its premise, which is surprisingly entertaining. Actually funny, as long as you ignore that the final love scene involved spoiler[one girl getting drugged with aphrodisiacs to agree to a threesome], well everyone was affected, including some actual animals. Also looked like it got ahead of itself, with the end of the episode entertaining the idea that next episode would be BL, the main character not even being against it.

So I say that so there is no surprise this particular series gives me, that I feel the need to post here. If it actually manages to surprise, I will make an actual thread for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1016 of 1061