• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I went ahead and watched A Silent Voice. It doesn't count as crying if the tears stay in the eye socket, right? Yeah, I'm safe. Jesus, what a movie. It dealt with bullying, social anxiety, guilt and hearing impairment very well. And it had Shōko Nishimiya, the most adorable girl in the universe. Please don't bully her. I actually liked this movie more than your name. Only problem is that the movie ended too soon which is odd to say since it's not a short movie.

P.S. I don't care what this dude says or does, he still looks like a psychopath to me.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm on some kinda movie craze right now. Just watched Anthem of the Heart. I feel like I remember a forum member here saying that Mari Okada's style is having characters shout their emotions at each other. This movie had quite a bit of that. I'd say it worked most of the time, but some scenes felt a bit ham-fisted to me. I really, really liked Anohana and Toradora so I don't really know why it didn't work as well in this movie for me.

Now the biggest problem I have with movie is that I felt like it pulled the rug from under my feet. Massive spoilers ahead. spoiler[A decent portion of the movie was spent building a relationship between Jun and Takumi. We see them connecting and we see them opening to each other. But the movie decides that Takumi likes another girl. The problem I had with that is that Takumi doesn't have anything even remotely close to the kind or amount of interaction with Natsuki as he had with Jun. Most of the movie Natsuki and Takumi have a fairly typical classmate relationship. They just don't have the same level of chemistry as Takumi had with Jun. So simply put: Best girl lost, worst movie ever.] Rated it good.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The anime that I watched in 2018 and I didn't watch very many. I will rank the ones from best to worst.

The Night is Short, Walk on Girl - Masterpiece
Devilman Crybaby - Fantastic
Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues - Probably the funniest anime in a while.
Psycho-Pass - Not perfect, but still a great anime in my opinion. Glad that I watched it.
Mirai - Very good movie.
FLCL 2 - Not as good as the first FLCL, but still pretty good.
FLCL 3 - Same above^
Inuyashiki - Good premise, needs better execution. I still find it to be a fun anime nevertheless.
Pop Team Epic - The show can be both very funny and cringey at times. I find it to be very 50/50.
Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters - Meh
Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle - Utter dogshit

I watched less than I did in the past due to burn out of anime and busy with college & work.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Started watching Golden Kamuy. I already caught up with the manga so I wanted to see how the anime compared. While I'm happy to see characters animated and voiced (they all sound like how I imagined them), I'm disappointed that they cut content. Apparently the OVA that just came out adapts the Barato arc. Despite my complaints, I'm still enjoying it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Started watching Golden Kamuy. I already caught up with the manga so I wanted to see how the anime compared. While I'm happy to see characters animated and voiced (they all sound like how I imagined them), I'm disappointed that they cut content. Apparently the OVA that just came out adapts the Barato arc. Despite my complaints, I'm still enjoying it.

I also happen to be watching that show right now. The action sequences are often very intense even if the animation isn't particularly great. However I find the contrast between the comedic scenes and the more serious stuff to be a bit jarring at times and I don't like Asirpa's comedic faces. Overall I find the show quite enjoyable.

They sure kill a lot of animals in this show though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
I want to eat your pancreas

This was probably a lot better than I can give it credit for, but man, I hated Sakura so much right off the bat that I couldn't wait for her to die already (even though it begins with her funeral). It's pretty rare for me to have such an intense dislike for a character before they get more than five lines of dialog out. It took nearly 3/4 of the movie before she became a little more sympathetic, but you know, that's too late, and it didn't last very long before I started hating her again. I must have past life issues with her seiyuu or something.

The mostly unnamed (not sure why they kept that such a big secret - it wasn't that profound) guy I related to a lot more, though it felt to me like he showed superhuman levels of restraint around her in not telling her to leave him alone. I also have no idea what the classmate with the gum was all about. I figured he was going to spoiler[turn out to be the stabber, but then they never told us who they caught, so I guess it wasn't him.] So why was he even in this?

The music was really intrusive a lot of times, and not all that good to excuse its intrusion anyway. So I guess I'd say most people would probably like this movie a lot more than I did.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:41 pm Reply with quote
So since it doesn't have a thread in the series discussion section, I'm going to post my thoughts on Meiji Tokyo Renka here.

The first two episodes have been really enjoyable. Yes, there's the usual otome cheese, but damn has it been enjoyable so far. Mei is likable since she has more personality than the usual MC in these shows. She probably won't be Ton or Ani levels for me, but I'm liking what I'm seeing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:05 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
So since it doesn't have a thread in the series discussion section, I'm going to post my thoughts on Meiji Tokyo Renka here.

The first two episodes have been really enjoyable. Yes, there's the usual otome cheese, but damn has it been enjoyable so far. Mei is likable since she has more personality than the usual MC in these shows. She probably won't be Ton or Ani levels for me, but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

She hasn't been perfect, but I will say that I enjoyed how she spoiler[was unable to dress herself in a kimono, and was super into beef.]
Manix2019

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:01 am Reply with quote
Currently watching "Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoko" i dont know how this anime works for younger people for me its actually somewhat of a hard burden, to many true things are told nad the conflict between the main girls, chito and yuu is insanly accurate to some relations irl.

Yuu is not a bad person just one that need somewhat of a pleasing, (food) whilst chito is kinda like all on about careing way to much about everything. (im more of a chito person)

the visuals are amazing like in "made in abyss" which actually brought me to the anime "Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoko". its interssting how ifyou are a bit oldeyou interpret things a lot more diffrent then it would to people the anime is actually mainly targeting.
Though the lightheartness of Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoko makes it alot more bareable then "made in abyss"

and to lighten the mood, i also am currently watching Jormungand which is basically a 180 degree turnaround to Shoujo Shuumatsu and abyss. xD

§wonder if people are actually activ her i am kind of in a need for a anime community xD
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
@Manix2019
Girls' Last Tour I think even used the first episode to show conflict that mirrors the devastation around them, and pretty impersonal, where Yuu holds Chito up for food or something. It does feel like a pretty surreal moment. I think that at first it almost ran risk of feeling too far from things people can relate to. But there is something to be said about these two competing personality types kind of being great foils and would still probably attract each other. It has a very melancholic aspect to it that can feel really hard with the feeling of the end, that just seems unfair to them, yet they don't even understand it, which kind of keeps it light in ways.

Jormungand is quite different, more exciting that I still feel a bit pumped with the "her name is Koko she is loco". Although I do think some of that changes a bit towards the end, I think questioning how cool is it really. Thinking of more along those lines of in similar, I think of Hellsing and Drifters, which I think have a similar sort of low key awesome aspect to its characters... I can't really explain it. It is the sort of thing that sort of celebrates craziness, like the world does not realize its crazy, and the character just has fun. Sort of like if you had the Joker as the hero.
Manix2019

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

holy shit thank god there is a reply ^^ makes me happy. Well i haven't seen the anime till the end since i only watch it on weekende (Girls' Last Tour) because im currently in exam session and this anime makes me think to much about other stuff Anime smallmouth. What i acn say though is that even though im only 8 episods in i cried like 4 times. 2 times vbecasue of the beautiful way its sghown and drawn in combination with dialog and background track. And twice because of the hoplessness that is shown every now and then. Putting myself in the characters situation, i cant really handel it.

to Jormungand, i just like how its black lagonish, overpowered forces, wonderful stratigitly situations and bad ass military girls xD ... dont know why but in comparism to the rather deep Shoujo Shuumatsu, its just great to have that kind of easy goning ness Smile
Manix2019

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the environment of this anime is so extremely surreal, but in older novels, you have japan pictured like that. couple of layers, going towards the sky, probably for better air in super metropolis.

i kinda feel horrible and exited watching it ,,,, kinda strange isnt it ? \(o-o\), watching it kinda starts an uneasiness but at the same time calms me immens...-.- im confused

everything in this anime seems to be thought out, it is kind of scary how well t it written mostly, the 2 main chars are basically resembling how people would probably react in most situations, if they are scared by the war. The fact the two girls dot really get what happens around them is actually quite saddening, especially if you think about the fact that its shown to them through the people they meet. though i have to admit im quite happy to see that nothing utterly awful happened to them yet (ep 8)

*!! !SPOILERS STOP READING NOW !!! no really stop now

though the case of the plane in ep 6-7 was heart breaking to some extend. i was hoping so badly that i succeeds but then ...-.- damn it... thank go d they added theparachute. if this were "made in Abyss" this would've ended horribly
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:29 am Reply with quote
Manix2019 wrote:
though the case of the plane in ep 6-7 was heart breaking to some extend. i was hoping so badly that i succeeds but then ...-.- damn it... thank go d they added theparachute. if this were "made in Abyss" this would've ended horribly

It is melancholic, a sort of sadness of stagnation that things won't change, but no sad that it is outright horrible. It is then fascinating that the two characters are just kind of adjusted to that life, and I would say are not consumed by that melancholy, although there are some times that they try to grasp exactly what their surroundings are.

Especially early on I found myself taking the Fallout frame of mind, and try to put pieces together of what happened. Something I was thinking as curious thinking that we saw what looked like the end of battles, but never see a dead body, leaving me wondering if there was some point to it, or the series thought that would just be wrong.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Much to my own bafflement, I'm still enjoying Hinomaru Sumo, now with more Hillary Clinton!

But I'm sad they replaced the uber-gar OP and ED songs for the second half.

Somebody make a discussion thread for Meiji Tokyo Renka already. I'm too lazy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Somebody make a discussion thread for Meiji Tokyo Renka already. I'm too lazy.

The sky darkens from being filled with clouds, lightning strikes, and a totally average man pokes his torso out from above.
"Your wish has been granted."
The seven Dusky balls then scatter across the forums.

No big deal, I guess I have been kind of wanting to talk about it too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1019 of 1061