• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mariotaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Just Completed Previous Episodes of Black Clover Very Happy . Started Watching Dodoro
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:38 pm Reply with quote
How can KareKano / Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou / His and Her Circumstances be this good. How do they do it? I'm still in episode 16 and I'm aware the production implodes - hell, there's an episode and a half of recap after two episodes where street footage made up a good chunk of the content and I hear it gets worse - but it's still so good. At first I thought it was just how high-energy everything was that was getting me to like these characters and their antics, but even during all this I love it. Amazing.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I also found it surprisingly good, even with all the recaps. Until, that is, Hideaki Anno left the production at the end of episode 18. After that it loses its spark.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:44 am Reply with quote
Just finished my first series that started in the new decade, Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove it, having a completed 12 episodes. I think that it started relatively strong, cute and, one of the few romances of the season, starred adult characters, and took concepts like scientific theory and applied it to the plot. In terms of the tv anime release experience, for me it did feel like it showed its hands too early with what I think was 3 episodes released at once, which the series did not feel like was needed. And although cute, I kind of found myself losing some interest around the halfway mark because unlike the main draw of the adult romance genre, these characters did not really feel like real people, at times it practically felt like watching an anime version of Big Bang Theory.

I'm sorry, it was not as bad as big bang theory, this show did feel generally smarter and more self aware, but I could have really used something with more bite, more than starting off with clearly love, and then fart arsing around the entire season. You did have the other characters, but it really started to feel like they did not mean that much, as it stood the normal person who apparently had a string of crushes on past teachers was the most interesting. Except maybe that I liked the short gamer girl who would mess around a lot, but that does just kind of feel like an otaku trope character that of course would be likable. In general there is not much more I can really focus on in the show, just that it was cute, and not actually horrible.

My rating is Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time watching.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:56 am Reply with quote
Beastars on Netflix has this rediculous idea that the 15 fps CG eye cancer is acceptable nevermind the animorphs living everday highschool lives, this suspention of disbelief is tought to muster yet the bullied MCs come together in a strange way that none of it matters in the end. The english dub is good and now i want more. Episode 2 has the OP and it had me laughing.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, Kare Kano was still incredibly good even with its production problems. The last episode was one of my favorites, even. I think it's pretty much objectively less animated, as the series was super hyper at the start, but the creative decisions in the last stretch were mostly great.
MariaCruz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Lately I have been good season anime, black clover and my hero academia .. Ahh an anime that I highly recommend
The Promised Neverland. I loved this story because of the great feeling of support for these children who are trying to escape from the place infested with monsters.

Kono oto tomare. I saw her recently I love her school history among these boys a touch of romance in its second season, Very good.

Your lie in April. Oh I really love the road in 2015 and I still like it, I recommend it to everyone, if you like romance and music.

No spoilers haha. Razz
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:03 am Reply with quote
Just finished If My Favorite Pop Idol Made it to the Budokan, I Would Die with its 12th episode. It is an anime that follows mostly the fans of an idol group, especially one woman who is totally in love with one of the female idol. I was kind of interested to see how this would go, focus on an idol group's fans and a lesbian character in what did not feel like the sort of soppy stuff you can get yuri, but I come out a little disappointed.

My main thought on following idol uber fans is that the idol industry kind of really predatory, not just on the idols themselves, but the fans. Like they are knowingly pretty much encouraging these fans these unhealthily obsessed fans to buy so many copies of their CDs than they could possibly need, all with the dangling carrot of some contact with an individual they really only get to do so in these creepy commercialized interactions. I thought perhaps we could get past this barrier of fake human contact where Eripiyo maybe could get to know the real Maina, with getting to know her more than the image she has to project, it even felt like it started that way when the two found each other on the same train. But this never happens, instead we have this barrier in relationships of these characters in Eripiyo getting creepily obsessed with the girl she does not really know hurting her own life, and Maina wants more of these signs of devotion and wants to say how she appreciates it.

The whole thing just feels so unhealthy, with the base goal of maybe such uber fans able to believe that the idol they are way too obsessed with and put their energy into, somehow also like them back and appreciate them. Rather than as people than such people having some unhealthy expectations forced onto them and have to deal with fans that read way too much into their commercialized interactions. This also added that despite how I said it was about the fans, there sure is a lot centred around these idols that is almost completely uninteresting with their white bread personalities. The closest to be an exception would probably be the girl that actually did have something approaching a relationship with Eripiyo from their interactions at the maid café where, she is more upfront with her intentions and feels more like candid stuff with Eripiyo.

My rating would be So-so (5/10), it was not a total wash as being pretty high in my to watch list, but I just wish that it was better. That maybe even something done with the same sex interest thing, where the girls would be marketed towards men. Maybe as not such a fan it just missed the mark.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Currently watching an early-80s magical girl show, Magical Angel Creamy Mami which has been on my list for several years due to its character designer, Akemi Takada, who I've been a fan of for many years.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:13 am Reply with quote
Another anime added to the list of completed with their 12th episode for the 2020 winter anime season, Nekopara. But as easy as it would be to just chuck this one aside, indeed I had little expectations at the start, I actually kind of liked this show. Indeed there are some uncomfortable elements to setting that included as far as we know only female cat people (catgirls) who were mostly pretty much human, but are treated as bellow their human masters. It even has multiple episodes that bring up there being a law that it is illegal for the catgirls to walk around outside without their masters without a license, like some sort backwards middle east country that make such a law for women. I am kind of confused where these girls' parents are, especially along the lines of what are their fathers.

But putting aside the setting itself, being better just not to think about it too much, the show is actually pretty cute. I was familiar that this was based on a game, and to my knowledge it was an adult game so I would expect a lot of sexuality and such, which could be uncomfortable with them. But the anime was actually in general fairly innocent, there was not too much ero stuff that treated them all as just eye candy, and in practice was pretty cute and kind of lowkey funny. A lot of focus on the little girl one, Cacao, which was not lewded. The only exception of somewhat lewd stuff was one of the girls that was otherwise sweet, but clearly got hot and bothered by certain things, which I think actually worked okay for a bit of dissonance. And also that one of the nekos for some reason wore denim hotpants with the straps of a thong quite visible, which I don't in the least put any shame on and think wear what you want, but kind of clashed with things a bit, especially since assumedly all those girls relied on their female owner. Said female owner being a bit of a perv in wanting her kitties to dote on her and take pictures of them, but she also dressed conservatively herself and I find a little hard to understand how it works the styles of cats under her care.

Maybe not always innocent, the body measuring things clearly put some attention on bodies, but I would say that in general the focus always seemed to make things feel calm and innocently fun. I would even say that I grew into a bit of a fan of the kind of obvious if commonly reused music that would play up certain scenarios. The familiarity itself just added to this comfortable feeling. You don't need to think too hard, just sit back and enjoy these cute catgirls, whether they are silly, overreact or try to understand things.

My rating is Decent (6/10), and that if you are looking for something cute and simple, easy to get a giggle out, and generally again cute, I think that it is worth seeing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:26 am Reply with quote
The next show finished is another one that I had low expectations at the start, but steadily liked more as it went on, Oda Cinnamon Nobunaga. More often than not I dislike warring state anime that focus on the generals in mystifying them, and combined with such a weird premise of these men inside the bodies of dogs, I already expected that it would not be something I would enjoy very much. But somehow it actually had a charm that grew onto me over time.

I think the part I kind of liked about the warring state thing was that it specifically actually tried demystifying them, saying a lot of stuff were exaggerated, had petty reasons, or not something you would think as cool. It was like they were just guys, ironic in that in the show they were now dogs, which had its own charm. I also thought maybe the whole dog thing would go so far, kind of like that daycare anime did with infants but with dogs instead, and although things like the ED is filled with footage of real dogs and unquestionably a lot of the show is just making dogs look cool, it does not feel like they are resorted to just things like moe blobs. A lot of the charm was actually how their dog appearance could clash with their previous life's persona, but also that maybe these guys could just have a kind of relaxing time as dogs, while also treating them with respect as thinking creatures.

So I am saying that the show despite some initial reactions actually won me over with its unconventional charm of combining two different things, an interest in the warring states beyond the exaggerated myths, and cute dogs. I still find it funny when one was hiding its dog name before it getting out that it was Boo, where it got laughed at, but also normal over time. My rating is Good (7/10), I don't think it really had anything offensive, didn't really even get started on the human characters which could be delightfully quirky, and was just a nice good watch. Okay, maybe the one guy that is a little too obsessed with Cinnamon was a weird. But good watch regardless.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:53 pm Reply with quote
A new day, another anime of this season its 12 episode run, this time was A Destructive God Sits Next to Me. I actually had pretty low expectations for this one, these chunibyou guys shows usually are not entirely my sort of thing. Sure the guys can look silly, but the charm does not really appeal to me. This though actually had a lot of charm that I enjoyed, explicitly in what it did with its straight guy character, that he is a normal guy, but also filled with personality through his cat aesthetic. It saved it a lot for me in how it always made Koyuki that was meant to be a bit of a wet blanket for shenanigans to usually be fun to watch.

The show actually managed to make me cringe so hard that I had to stop the episode at one time, and it actually was not from the characters acting like a bunch of chuni dorks, which I think is worth a mention. And at least it later seemed to make it feel better in terms of that relationship. It had other things mixing it up too, like a character who was a total gadfly in having fun with all the chaos that happens, and manipulating events to peak funny embarrassment. It was entertaining beyond what I might have expected.

Anyway, I found that I grew to like the show more as time went on, that I actually enjoyed my time rather than thinking that it would be easy enough to just sit through, and would put it over a number of other shows to watch that were boring me a bit. My rating is Decent (6/10), because I would say that I did not lose my time watching, but overall there is not a huge amount actually to it. It was pretty cute for a mostly boy cast anime.
DDPK2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:42 am Reply with quote
I'm currently watching Princess Connect! Re:Dive, Arte, and Sakura Wars the Animation. I lead such a sad life.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Haikyuu season 2. It's fun, just like the first season. I think I might be enjoying the 2nd season more than the first one. I like the new girl Yachi. Shimizu the cool, beautiful manager is fine, but she lacks presence. The new girl is bubbly and I like how when the team gets pumped up, she gets pumped up. She bounces off of everyone's energy and shares their pain. That actually allows Shimizu to have more presence as well since she can act as a kind of mentor to the new girl and be the more cool and collected manager.

Just like first season I really like how well the anime somehow portrays the movement and weight of the volleyball. The sound when it hits the floor and the way it bounces. There's something magical about it. It really makes the spikes look and sound cool, particularly the quick combination attacks that Kageyama and Hinata do. The animated eyecatches also return and I like them. There's more variation this time around too. Anyway, it's a fun show with lots of energy and positivity. When Karasuno scores a point it makes me wanna fist pump.

I'm also watching Real Girl season 2 and BOFURI on the side. Real Girl is fine I guess. It can have some sweet moments. BOFURI is kinda boring. It has no stakes and it's not funny. The tanky girl and the agile girl don't have any kind of interesting or fun dynamic imo. Bleh.
aradii

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Finished kimetsu no yaiba 2 days ago and literally this anime is a masterpiece! Most often times a soundtrack tells how good an anime will be and from the first few scenes I knew I was onto something here. The anime overall is incredible. the dialogue, the build up, the character development; everything about this anime is amazing.
Now I watching Boku no Hero Academia because I love to see when the main character has a superpower and beat every villain with his power then everyone attracts to him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1028 of 1062