• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Watching Uchū Senkan Yamato (Space Battleship Yamato) because it is an important naval history documentary. Wink OK, the real point is to be familiar with all the references that crop up on real naval history forums.

I missed the original broadcast run due to factors such as not living in Japan during preschool (which of course we walked 10 miles each way uphill through the snow every day to get to and from). The cut and English dubbed Star Blazers broadcast was half a decade into the future (by which time upper middle class families typically had basic cable and VCRs).

Surprising how crude the animation and backgrounds look, likely due to Japan still being second class economically and technologically at the time (other than a few select sectors such as motorcycles, the onslaught of low cost but high quality Japanese manufactured goods was still a couple of years into the future). Big budget animation such as Looney Tunes from 20 years earlier looks more modern, but those were intended to be shown in theaters and not NTSC (disparagingly known as "Never Twice the Same Color) format television broadcast.

Other surprising thing is that despite the setting, all the characters are drawn as vaguely European instead of Japanese. Wish there was more background information on why this decision was made.

Star Blazers was the show that had may waking up early just to see it!

The animation improves quite a bit once you get to the second season, but considering that it came out four years after the first, it should be expected.

As for how the character designs look, you'd have to ask artist Leiji Matsumoto, although there may not have been any special reason considering that the character designs are done in the style typical of Matsumoto.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:

I am in the minority here, but I much prefer Japanese (of which I understand about 1% that is spoken) with subtitles to dubbing. (To be fair, I was traumatized as a child by bad dubbing of shows that sounded similar to a that of a dubbed speech in a news cast).

Found out that the ending of Saraba Uchū Senkan Yamato Ai no Senshitachi (Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato) was controversial, where after most of the other primary characters are killed Susumu Kodai pilots Yamato in a kamikaze attack on the Comet Empire to save Earth and humanity.

What many may not now think of is when the movie was released, a large proportion of the Japanese population alive at the time (1978) had trained in suicide attacks to oppose the anticipated invasion of Japan in 1945/1946.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:22 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:

I am in the minority here, but I much prefer Japanese (of which I understand about 1% that is spoken) with subtitles to dubbing. (To be fair, I was traumatized as a child by bad dubbing of shows that sounded similar to a that of a dubbed speech in a news cast).

Found out that the ending of Saraba Uchū Senkan Yamato Ai no Senshitachi (Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato) was controversial, where after most of the other primary characters are killed Susumu Kodai pilots Yamato in a kamikaze attack on the Comet Empire to save Earth and humanity.

What many may not now think of is when the movie was released, a large proportion of the Japanese population alive at the time (1978) had trained in suicide attacks to oppose the anticipated invasion of Japan in 1945/1946.

I prefer the original Japanese version, too, but when Star Blazers came out in 1979, watching Space Battleship Yamato subtitled wasn’t an option considering that fan subs or commercially subbed anime was still about a decade away at the time.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:13 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate Wrote:
Quote:
I am in the minority here, but I much prefer Japanese (of which I understand about 1% that is spoken) with subtitles to dubbing.

Not as much of a minority at you might think. Since almost everything that is legally available is offered subtitled regardless if it is also offered dubbed we don't have that much to complain about
Quote:

Since 1978 was thirty three years after the end of the war, you would have to be in your late thirties at a minimum to remember this. It may have effected the writers but would not impact the intended audience. I suspect it was to reflect the fact that the last voyage of the real Yamato was in fact a suicide run. The intent was to ground the ship on Okinawa and use it as a gun platform until destroyed. In the event, it was sunk long before it got there.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Piglet the Grate Wrote:
Quote:
I am in the minority here, but I much prefer Japanese (of which I understand about 1% that is spoken) with subtitles to dubbing.

Not as much of a minority at you might think. Since almost everything that is legally available is offered subtitled regardless if it is also offered dubbed we don't have that much to complain about

I was not complaining, but merely observing that there appears to be a considerable demand for dubbing (in the general population there are a lot of people who will not watch foreign language with subtitles; I am not certain how different the anime watching subset is). Certainly no one would go to the expense of dubbing if there was not a demand.

I will complain about the lack of annotations in subbing as we used to get on the old fansubs, but then I am one of those weird people who likes to use footnotes.

Quote:

Alan45 wrote:
Since 1978 was thirty three years after the end of the war, you would have to be in your late thirties at a minimum to remember this. It may have effected the writers but would not impact the intended audience.

I thought that shows like these in Japan were intended for a primarily adult audience, unlike Hollywood cartoons which stopped being so almost entirely by the late 1960s? The first Space Battleship Yamato movie was released in theaters the same year as the original Star Wars movie and had the larger box office receipts of the two in Japan, which indicates much wider appeal than to just children.

Alan45 wrote:
I suspect it was to reflect the fact that the last voyage of the real Yamato was in fact a suicide run. The intent was to ground the ship on Okinawa and use it as a gun platform until destroyed. In the event, it was sunk long before it got there.

The portrayal of Operation Ten-Go in the original series and first compilation movie was more true to real life than most Hollywood WW2 movies - nothing egregious such as TBF Avengers launching torpedo attacks from both sides, since the experience of sinking IJN Musashi during the Battle of Leyte Gulf indicated that torpedo hits on just one side would cause the ship to capsize more rapidly than sinking from relatively even flooding from torpedo hits on both sides.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:56 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
I thought that shows like these in Japan were intended for a primarily adult audience, unlike Hollywood cartoons which stopped being so almost entirely by the late 1960s? The first Space Battleship Yamato movie was released in theaters the same year as the original Star Wars movie and had the larger box office receipts of the two in Japan, which indicates much wider appeal than to just children

Jonathon Clements devotes a lot of space to the Space Battleship Yamato phenomena in his history of anime. The franchise is seen as the first anime to find a self-identifying otaku audience - not so much adults as teenagers and younger adults such as university students. The producers' recruitment of fans to promote the film (as "shills and marketers" - Clements) was a successful ploy.

Jonathon Clements wrote:
...This concerted ‘media mix’ created a self-fulfilling prophecy of queues around the block, and resulted in 2.3 million ticket sales, and box-office revenue of 0.9 billion yen (Tada 2002: 28).

Yamato fandom’s own self-commemoration claims that this set a ‘box-office record’ (Eldred 2008c), and anime-industry histories remember it as a ‘great hit’ (Seto et al. 2002:
173) or for its impact on mainstream media (Yamaguchi 2004: 111). However, while it broke records at particular theatres, particularly for that summer’s domestic exhibition (Masuda 2011: 50), its overall takings were no recordbreaker in a year dominated by Hollywood imports such as King Kong, The Enforcer (Dirty Harry III), and Rocky. Tradition often confuses its success with that of its sequel, Saraba Yamato (1978, Farewell Yamato), which truly did break records and remains one of the all-time top-twenty anime at the Japanese box office (Tada 2002: 69).

- Clements, Jonathan. Anime: A History . Palgrave Macmillan. Kindle Edition.

Since the history was published, several popular anime cinema releases have pushed Farewell Yamato further down the list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Quote:
I was not complaining, but merely observing that there appears to be a considerable demand for dubbing (in the general population there are a lot of people who will not watch foreign language with subtitles; I am not certain how different the anime watching subset is). Certainly no one would go to the expense of dubbing if there was not a demand.

I think we still get discussions of the presence or absence of dubs simply because dubs are not universal. The only complaints we get about subs pertains to the quality of the translation or readability. I do like to see a lot of dubs being done as it indicates a good demand for anime in general.

I started watching and collecting anime back in the VHS era when you had to pick one or the other. I like it better now when you have a choice. I do not miss the old dub/sub wars. I started preferring dubs but later switched to subs. My personal opinion is that people who refuse to watch anime not available in their preferred format are only hurting themselves.

Quote:
I will complain about the lack of annotations in subbing as we used to get on the old fansubs, but then I am one of those weird people who likes to use footnotes.

I can't speak to that as I've only ever seen one fan sub and that was not annotated. While I think annotations are a good idea, I would prefer them printed as AnimEigo did as there is a strong possibility of them being intrusive in the show. An alternative would be a file of translators notes as an extra, I thing ADV did this on one show.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I watched two anime movies a few months back.

Golgo 13 (1983) - Originally written back in September 2021

When I heard that Takao Saitou passed away, I had to revisit this film. Golgo 13: The Professional is still a great action movie in my opinion. Duke Togo aka Golgo 13 is one of my favorite anime and manga characters ever because he is a total badass. Golgo 13 is like combining James Bond and Django Reinhardt into one awesome macho character. I have seen people criticize Duke Togo for having no personality and I disagree with that. I love that Duke Togo is silent but deadly. It makes him even more awesome with the fascinating aura of mystery around the character. Duke Togo is a human grim reaper when he is on screen. When you make contact with him, you know that you're already dead. He never misses his target by killing them in a single shot. You know you're already dead when you make contact with him. He never misses a target since he kills them with one shot. Golgo 13 was killing people in one strike before Saitama made it cool.

Duke Togo is overflowing with testosterone. When you watch this movie, you will grow body hair and an extra set of testicles (an extra pair for men). Duke Togo is a lady's man who can chew bubblegum and kick-ass at the same time.I miss the days when we had action heroes like these (not just anime & manga). Except for John Wick and a few others, I believe that today's action heroes lack the fun and badass nature that older action heroes possessed. Every scene in Golgo 13: The Professional is brilliantly animated, and the animation is outstanding. When animating his films, Osamu Dezaki was known for his meticulous attention to detail.

When watching Golgo 13: The Professional, you can see every tiny bit of detail on the guns, clothes, backgrounds, etc. The animation is very stylistic with the characters looking more realistic than most anime do. The character designs don't look like most typical anime and manga characters in my opinion. Golgo 13: The Professional is known to be one of the first anime films to use CGI. You have a small scene of CGI that looks laughable by today's standers. Back in 1983, it was state of the art. You get plenty of testosterone-fueled action scenes and gory violence that are satisfying to watch. The jazzy soundtrack and the sleazy atmosphere adds more icing to the cake. Duke Togo is voiced by the legendary Tetsurô Sagawa (RIP) and his voice is perfect in my opinion. Even the dub from Streamline Pictures is solid, and it is probably one of their best dubs next to their dub for Wicked City (1987) in my opinion.

Golgo 13: The Professional has a dark, and mature story that deals with the obsession with revenge. You get to see how human misery affects everyone, not just the individual person. The primary villain, Leonard Dawson, begins to push his thirst for vengeance to the point where it backfires on him. You have a fun cast of supporting characters that, in my opinion, are memorable. Snake, Gold, and Silver have always impressed me as interesting villains. Duke Togo is pushed to the ground by the battle between those guys because it demonstrates that he is not invincible. Duke Togo is a very tough man, yet he is still a human being. He can still be killed in the same way that any other human would. It allows the film to place Duke Togo in a dangerous situation, leaving the audience to wonder how he will survive.

Overall, Golgo 13: The Professional is a great movie that I highly recommend checking it out. Even those who aren't fans of anime will likely enjoy it. 9/10

Blood: The Last Vampire (2000) - Originally written back in October 2021

Back in the early 2000s, I remember when Blood: The Last Vampire was a big deal with anime and manga fans at the time. Manga Entertainment released it in theaters despite having a short run time and I remember James Cameron really liking it. I was lucky to see it on the big screen along with X: The Movie (1996) as a double feature at the time with my friends. As time went on, Blood: The Last Vampire has been forgotten and people only know about the spin-offs. The Blu-ray is out of print, but I'm lucky to still have my old DVD copy. After watching it again 20 years later, Blood: The Last Vampire is still a fun anime in my opinion.

My favorite things about Blood: The Last Vampire are the breathtaking visuals and the dark atmosphere. The animation is fantastic that still looks good by today's standers in my opinion. The characters move so smoothly and the large amount of detail that was put into the animation is excellent. I love the atmosphere in Blood: The Last Vampire because it creates a feeling of the supernatural that exists in our modern urban society. You can feel the presence of vampires lurking around. Blood: The Last Vampire takes place on Halloween which is fitting for the tone of the story. The action sequences and the gory kills are awesome. There is enough bloodshed that will make the gorehounds happy.

The story is the biggest flaw in Blood: The Last Vampire in my opinion. Blood: The Last Vampire only runs at 45 minutes and I wish there was more to the story. You don't have enough time to care about the characters and not everything is explained to the audience on what is going on. It feels more like a pilot for an OVA series than a full-length movie in my opinion. If Blood: The Vampire had a runtime of 90 minutes, I could see myself giving it a higher rating.

Overall, Blood: The Last Vampire is a decent anime and I recommend checking it out if you're curious. 7/10
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
...While I think annotations are a good idea, I would prefer them printed as AnimEigo did as there is a strong possibility of them being intrusive in the show. An alternative would be a file of translators notes as an extra, I thing ADV did this on one show.

That seems like something the Japanese would like*, but not many other people.

*One example is the printed booklets that moviegoers were to read before watching the Neon Genesis Evangelion reboot movies - cannot imagine more than a tiny fraction of US movie goers bothering to read a booklet prior to a movie. Another example is at orchestral concerts in Japan, many bring along copies of the score to follow, which again is very rare outside Japan.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Watched the final episode of The Vampire Dies In No Time. It's a shame it didn't get much attention in the West because IMO it's one of the best comedy anime ever. It got renewed for a 2nd season which is great! I thought the characters were all likable, every episode had me LOLing, and John is just to precious! In conclusion, it's my AOTS and in my Top 5 for the year.

Watched 2 episodes of Sound of the Sky since Funimation just got a lot of titles from NIS America. I'm torn. One the one hand, the aesthetic, world building, and music are amazing and fill me with a sense of wonder. However, I can't stand the characters except maybe Rio. They're far too tropey for my liking and seem like they should be in a different show. I'll probably give it a few episodes to see if my opinion changes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
The humor in TVDINT was pretty hit or miss for me, but I heartily agree that John was the MVP of the series, and all around Best Ball. And if you can only watch one episode, it must be episode 8 with the bat-crab insanity. Even if you don't know the characters, the snowballing lie-fest was hilarious.
hoxifihu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:39 am Reply with quote
Just finished Spice And Wolf. As much as I want to say it was a very good series with one of the best female leads in anime history combined with a romantic subplot that was making me shout "Just kiss already" before it was even half way over...the complications of the show's economics as well as the extremely unsatisfying ending left me with mixed feelings about the show overall. However, I will still recommend it to anyone simply on the basis that Holo is freakin' amazing.

check this beautiful live sex cam sites:
sexcams.name
livesexcams.name
nudecams.name

Last edited by hoxifihu on Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I think I mentioned pages ago that I was going through a rerwatch of Magical Index shows, trying to get up to a binge of Season 3. Well, I stalled at the end of season 2 without getting through the Railgun and Accelerator shows. Finally picked up again and got through the side shows. But man, Season 3 doesn't really start off so great. The first episode was a showcase of the worst habits of the show and reminds you why so many people really don't like Index as a character. Worthless 90% of the time, gluttonous, unappreciative, and vindictive channeling undeserved rage at a poor student who does not have to listen to her, but does anyway.

Then we get that villain of the first arc... I laughed at him for a minute straight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem with Index as a character. My issue with Season 3 was that it seemed like a rushed mess. I haven't read any of the light novels and there's always been long lag times in between Index seasons so I forget a lot of characters. Season 3 seemed to be a barrage of characters and events being crammed in at a break neck pace. It was kind of hard for a casual fan like me to make sense of. You may feel differently if you have a firmer grasp of the Index franchise. It's too bad because Index Season 1 continues to be a highpoint in my anime viewing career.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, season 3 had some seriously insane pacing. I think it adapted like 9 light novel volumes in 26 episodes. That still loses out to Record of Grancrest War that adapted 10 volumes in 24 episodes, that was another wild ride through a story at hypersonic speed. If they ever adapt more Index I hope they won't butcher it so badly again. I'm amazed that I liked Scwarzesmarken when that supposedly adapted 7 volumes in 12 episodes.

Speaking of poor adaptions I've been watching Arifureta. Why would I do this? I guess I just felt like watching a silly isekai thing. There's not much to say about it honestly. Outside of its poor animation during the initial episodes it's pretty bland. It has an awesome opening though. I like the whatever wind instrument in it. I'll have it finished just in time for season 2. Whoop dee doodle doo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1046 of 1062