• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise, Right Stuf Offers Gundam ZZ in N. America for 1st Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonLa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
god, you Canadians are lucky! I wish RightStuf would pre-collect the import taxes for the UK! There's nothing worse than waiting an extra 3 weeks for your parcel and then to receive a tax demand with a Post Office "Handling Charge" which is usually double the amount of tax on the bill.

Only Amazon US do this for the UK at present, using their expedited shipping option, and its fantastic.

Like a lot of you, I wish they could dub them, but, um, do any of you consider the economics of it? The numbers have been bandied about above, but so far you want long seasons dubbed and put on blu ray. I always see these statements and wonder "just how big do you think the anime market for Gundam is?" Particularly shows with only moderate crossover interest such as ZZ or Turn-A. It's a lovely dream and I share it, but the realist in me is happy to watch ZZ with a good sub translation. Which I assume will be based on the recent digital distribution of ZZ.

What I remember from the fansubs is that for long periods the "worst Gundam" reputation of ZZ is undeserved, then suddenly there'll be a string of really stupid episodes before it gets back on track again.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Double Zeta has its charm, mostly in the more Zeta-like episodes (the Dublin arc, for instance), at least to me. But I can't imagine anybody would put an effort into dubbing it an English for this release, since I don't even think its predecessor did that well here. And if they did give it a dub, it would probably end up much like it's predecessor's, a farmed out cheapo Blue Water dub, awkward and stiff. To be fair, the material is also kind of clunky.

I would be on board purchasing it at a minimum cost, but if they're charging the same for that as a regular, modern TV series, count me out. I want to support more classic Gundam coming here, but ZZ is a very low priority.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
traveling wrote:
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but Right Stuf is only the distributor, so maybe Sunrise will pay for dubs like they did for Unicorn.
Bandai started releasing Unicorn before they had the plug pulled, so I wouldn't let it get your hopes up too much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5