• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st TV Anime Show Starring Lupin III in 3 Decades to Launch in Italy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Thumbs up for Italians who have better respect for Japanese shows. (The same goes to French too.)

Oh boy oh boy you don't know how much you're mistaken.
Yes France and Italy have had their fair share of animes over the years. As for treating them with respect, ahm no. From censorship, to completely inventing dialogs that aren't there in the original that's been the Italian respect for anime for over 30 years. It's only in the late nineties that things started to change for the better, but of all the classical animes 99% were not treated well at all.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
I hope this goes on Toonami one day, much like Black Lagoon brings in shows like that (old and new).

It'd be a perfect mix.

The fact that this is a new series, with new animation, means it'll have a slightly better chance of catching on than the 2nd series did....bonus points for whoever dubs the series keeping the OG dialog unlike the 2nd series.[/i]
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Thumbs up for Italians who have better respect for Japanese shows. (The same goes to French too.)

Oh boy oh boy you don't know how much you're mistaken.
Yes France and Italy have had their fair share of animes over the years. As for treating them with respect, ahm no. From censorship, to completely inventing dialogs that aren't there in the original that's been the Italian respect for anime for over 30 years. It's only in the late nineties that things started to change for the better, but of all the classical animes 99% were not treated well at all.

Unfortunately, you're right. Sad
And dubbing has gotten worse in recent years, too, so I'll will watch this new series in Japanese, if possible.

Anyway, the Lupin fanbase here in Italy is huge, and I'm pretty excited for this! The backgrounds already look promising just from that preview image. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Rhys2753

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
This is the Lupin III Series I've been hoping for since the Fujiko Mine Series.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
The Great Lupin Jacket Debate rages on.

In this corner, GREEN JACKET!

In this corner, RED JACKET!

Receiving barely any support from anyone, PINK JACKET!

Pretty sure that's all of them....but wait!

CHALLENGER APPROACHES!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
Some sligh seinen edge would be nice. Sounds certainly cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
I hope it makes its way stateside for a physical release, but then it'd probably end up in FUNimation's hands, which is not even worth it at this point.
Are you saying that as a good thing or bad thing?

Quote:

The fact that this is a new series, with new animation, means it'll have a slightly better chance of catching on than the 2nd series did....bonus points for whoever dubs the series keeping the OG dialog unlike the 2nd series.
Blame it on the TV executives that insisted the series needed modern references. Though I did found it entertaining for the English dub to have pop culture references.
simona.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
There is really no Italian who doesn't know Lupin III,
I used to watch with my granny and she loved it Anime hyper
[my mother too]

It's very happy news!
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Some sligh seinen edge would be nice. Sounds certainly cool.

Yeah I want a deadly Lupin. Miyazaki did such a disservice to this character it's time to go back to the Monkey Punch Lupin.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
That's so awesome! This really caught me by surprise.

I wonder if it will air in more european countries later on, it'd be great if it aired here in The Netherlands (which probably won't happen though).
haha Really ? never going to happen anymore these days i should actually have a sign : I hate my own Country !!!
Because Netherlands is making me sick more often than not with the stupid programming and reruns these days.
Also alot of people are pretty ignorant about many things here. Making The Netherlands a easy prey for complete American entertainment domination.

But anyway i'm looking forward to it and First in Italy to.
France,Spain etc are probably also going to get it soon then.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki did well in my book and make him a dandy rouge if you forget the lovey princess that is and i actually don´t like the original manga that much . It´s the endless specials that pulled the teath out. This new anime is actualy not that surprising as said before. Here are exampels: The Mysterious Cities of Gold 2012, Transformers or the Robotech ova.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
It be interesting to see Lupin wearing a Jacket that bears a color that is not Red, Green, or Pink. Also White if you count the first live action movie and the 1996 TV special. While Lupin has been shown visiting Italy in some of the previous anime adaptions including some episodes of the Red Jacket series, but an entire TV series that takes place in Italy is something different for the Lupin. Which makes me interested in seeing the series when it gets released.

I also do admire the Miyazaki version of Lupin as much as the other versions of Lupin, and with Castle of Cagliostro being a common gateway for American fans to be introduced to the character due to the acclaim of Miyazaki's film work. It's a movie that should never be ignored for having Lupin being more gentleman than the other portrayals of Lupin.

I like to also note that I did enjoyed the last two TV specials of Lupin, and it is likely we will see another one before the end of this year.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
E-Master: There's also an LE figure of Lupin where he dresses like Michael Jackson and wears black. Anime hyper
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I have seen a Lupin figure where the jacket is black, though I don't recall he ever wore a black jacket in any of the anime except for his disguises that require a black jacket.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The Woman Called Fujiko Mine may have been intended as a spinoff but it heavily featured Lupin and his gang, so I consider it to be a genuine Lupin series (even if it was tonally different than anything that had come before).

Yeah, and it was really good Smile

gravediggernalk wrote:
but then it'd probably end up in FUNimation's hands, which is not even worth it at this point.

I'm excited that they've changed his jacket-color again, hopefully it'll look as good as it does in that promo-picture.

Seems worth it to me. They'd give it a good dual language blu-ray release.

Plus they did a great thing in the most recent Lupin series, unlike in their past Lupin dubs, getting Michelle Ruff back from Geneon's dub for Fujiko so hopefully they'd do it again. And even if he changed characters (again) I enjoyed still hearing Epcar. The dub was great (even if Oliver's my favorite for Lupin himself).

Agreed, on the coat though. The blue looks good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4