• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shirobako

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Kamieichi wrote:
Just so you know, Goth Loli-sama is also based on real person.

Really? Who is it based on?

Actually, I don't exactly know who it is.
I just know the fact that there is a certain person Goth loli-sama is based on.
You need to read Japanese, but here is the proof.
https://twitter.com/mattsun_s/status/521505107381215232
Shinobu Matsumoto, who plays Endou in Shirobako, said so on his twitter.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
kazziyan wrote:
Exactly. It's why I said broken record though. I've read this/seen it before in other reviews where it makes me go "what?"

And shouldn't reviewers just be floored that these characters aren't in highschool? That's one of the main points I always see being brought up by those with that view of anime.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say that I pretty much agree with the review for the latest episode: having all 5 girls back together did very much seem like a continuation of the K-ON! feel of the prologue, though certainly one where their optimistic dreams have been met by reality. And I suppose for those who can't remember characters well then it is a breather to not have the frantic pace of the previous episodes.

Probably my favorite scene this episode was the phone call between Aoi and her mother where her mom couldn't tell at all what was going on but was so proud to see her daughter's name in the credits. As someone with an older brother in the video game industry I can say that my mom has played only one video game for all that I've known her, and the whole time she was just mesmerized that her son had a hand in making that. Anyways, it was just a tiny chat between Aoi and her mother but I really loved it.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
For folks who love voice actors...

Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
kazziyan wrote:
Exactly. It's why I said broken record though. I've read this/seen it before in other reviews where it makes me go "what?"

And shouldn't reviewers just be floored that these characters aren't in highschool? That's one of the main points I always see being brought up by those with that view of anime.

I think people are way too eager to go on a feel good rant about something even if it's steeped in preconceived biases and viewing through colored lenses. It seems to be a common element in a lot of anime review scene these days. I guess the 'angry gamer review' culture has seeped onto the rest of the internet.

That being said, I hope this show doesn't get overly serious mid-way through. I would still like to seem some more educational stuff on how anime is produced, and I would also like to see some moments of triumph and fun intermixed in. I hope that continues on through the end.
bobob101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I gotta point out a correction here: the arguing animators are Endou and Shimoyanagi. Hotta was the other Key animator that went drinking with Endou and the industry veteran, who was working on episode 9.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I just got around to watching episode three on November 17th, and my reaction was pretty much the same as for episode two: I thought this show was going to be about the pledge made between the high school students to make a first rate anime; when is that going to start happening? All we've gotten so far are brief reassurances that the girls besides Aoi still exist somewhere and they haven't forgotten each other.
daichi383

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
This episode really tugged at the old heart strings. Especially hit home because i tend to go into a similar mindset when faced with setbacks like that, though i'm assuming she can't just play 50 hours of dragon age for a few days then get back to work refreshed. Razz

The nuance in Ema's portrayal thus far has really impressed me. Not in the lest bit surprised this is how she deals with these issues though it doesn't make it any less sad.
bobob101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I almost cried when she said she wasn't going to eat the doughnut. This show is getting so much better as it goes along.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I really hope we get to see more than a few seconds of Jiggly Jiggly Heaven, just so can really see how horrible it became
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
One small quibble:
Rose Bridges wrote:
Even the episode's other subplot—Aoi's friend visiting from out of town—largely took place in Aoi's apartment

That was Aoi's older sister, not a friend. Yes, sisters can be friends too, but there is a difference. If your friend called you up and said they were coming into town today to stay in your apartment for a few days with no warning, you might suggest they get a room for the night or call another friend. If it is your sibling, you suck it up and just complain about it to them when they get there.

This was one hell of an episode. I hope Emi can get over the hump and doesn't just quit, like the old guy seemed to suggest would be better for her in the long run. (He seems to regret not having quit...)
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Another small quibble:

Rose Bridges wrote:
Aoi's neighbor sets goals for himself as a cyclist and dreams of racing,

He's not Aoi's neighbor. I can't remember his name, but he's one of the outside animators that are tasked with the in-between frames. Y'know, the same one Aoi couldn't get a hold on a few episodes before.

Other than that, solid review. I really liked how the conflict was resolved this episode. Aoi is showing hints of not having much hope about the whole "let's make an anime together!" thing, and I sense that we'll see some drama with Midori (writer girl) later on, as she seems to be unsure about what to do to write a proper story. She's the only one we haven't seen doing anything related to her supposed "role" other than reading Crime and Punishment (at least CG girl says she's learning CG and stuff). As a writer myself, I'd really like to see the show expand a little bit more on her issues.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
I sense that we'll see some drama with Midori (writer girl) later on, as she seems to be unsure about what to do to write a proper story. She's the only one we haven't seen doing anything related to her supposed "role" other than reading Crime and Punishment (at least CG girl says she's learning CG and stuff). As a writer myself, I'd really like to see the show expand a little bit more on her issues.

To be fair, Midori is still a student right now, not ACTUALLY a professional like the others, and so it's unrealistic that she'd be experiencing quite the same "work-related" issues. It also makes sense that she'd be the last to graduate (from a story standpoint) since writing is like voice acting in that you either have "success" or you don't. There's not really room to "toil" at it like animation production. I guess if you think about it, that's ALSO why it makes sense that the voice actor and the writer would be in favor of "getting the band back together" to make their own work.

I also LOVED the advice:
"Ask and be a fool for a minute, don't ask and be a fool for life"
Which is SO easy to say but often very difficult to do.

EDIT; Just want to note, I like the reviews, but I think the reviewer is actually TOO focused on the "artsy" aspect of the chosen characters careers. Based on the review this is because the writer empathizes with the "artists", but there is a SOLID undercurrent of just "career" in this whole show that becomes GLARINGLY apparent in this episode. The sister is CLEARLY putting on a front with our cast likely because of how disappointed she is with her current career. (and even Midori sees through some of it) When she arrived I was curious if she quit (or got fired from) her job, and the flashbacks just reinforce that question. But considering the over-arcing theme of the episode its likely that she just needed to get away from work and "recharge" like Ema did at the park. No matter what the job, SOMETIMES you just need to step away from it and recalibrate yourself.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
EDIT; Just want to note, I like the reviews, but I think the reviewer is actually TOO focused on the "artsy" aspect of the chosen characters careers. Based on the review this is because the writer empathizes with the "artists", but there is a SOLID undercurrent of just "career" in this whole show that becomes GLARINGLY apparent in this episode.

Actually, I did have a line in there this week about Shirobako having some general career advice/situations in it. But I'll be honest: The "artsy" stuff is the go-to thing for me because that's where my experience is. I'm writer and a musician, along with someone who analyzes/criticizes fiction and music for a living. Most of the work that I put my heart and soul into and plan to keep doing throughout my life falls under the "arts", and I see a lot of stuff in Shirobako that is universal across artistic/creative professions but doesn't always apply to stuff outside of it.

You're right that some of it is more universal, though. For example, this:

Quote:
But considering the over-arcing theme of the episode its likely that she just needed to get away from work and "recharge" like Ema did at the park. No matter what the job, SOMETIMES you just need to step away from it and recalibrate yourself.

is indeed a more general issue that people will face in any job. But that's just one example, and I think there are just as many you could find, if not more, that are more particular to arts professions. (Director Kinoshita's various issues throughout the series would be examples of that.) And I think it's clear the show has as much to say about what it is to be in a creative profession, as it does general advice on moving from adolescence to adulthood and entering the work-world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode was good yet again. The resolution of Ema's short arc was handled flawlessly. She learned a good lesson. Her equivalent to playing hours of dragon age was taking a walk and playing with cats. Her friend there gave her good advice on that front.

Miyamori's sister doesn't look like she's having much fun at her job though. Seems she just needed a break otherwise she would have stabbed something. I know that feel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11